PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 4/10/07 Can we forget about this one? Postgame Thread

Corlose 15
04-10-2007, 11:49 PM
What the hell is Ozzie thinking. He's your best damn defensive outfielder and its why he's on the roster. PUT HIS ASS OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Viva Medias B's
04-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Well, I guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue. We should have scored more runs when we had the chances. It's as simple as that.

thomas35forever
I have no words to describe tonight.:angry:

WizardsofOzzie
What the hell is Ozzie thinking. He's your best damn defensive outfielder and its why he's on the roster. PUT HIS ASS OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
I'll drink to that

JorgeFabregas
Pods...still too leapy.

peelwonder
Piss poor defense by Pods...

Brian26
04-10-2007, 11:51 PM

He brings up a good point. :D:

ramorgan1
pods USUALLY has piss poor defense... that sucked ALOT

peeonwrigley
Jenks was bad, but a Major League outfielder has to a) make a better throw on the play at the plate and b) NOT TAKE THE GAME WINNING "HIT" OFF THE NOGGIN.

The throw home was Sosa-esque.

ShoelessJoeS
:jenks:
"Sorry Jon, I really ****ed up your absolute gem."

santo=dorf
http://www.flattire.org/pics/2003/101503_hank_hill.jpg
"damnit Bobby. That boy ain't right."

Can't believe I stayed up for this ****.

Did that ball go off of Pods' head after it hit the wall, or did it hit it on the fly? :angry:

baaadbobbyjenks
Bobby shouldn't have put us in that situation in the first place. Poor performance by him and the offense today. Man on third, no outs, and we can't score. Great job Garland and Macdougal.

Gremlin3
Why can't this be the Pods trys to be Canseco thread? It did hit him on the head.

PeteWard
A very bitter loss. Must bounce back tomorrow with some goddamn hitting.

whitesoxfan
Shouldn't have even been in that situation. Getting only one run off of Gaudin is a joke. We had chances and we blew it. One strike away from our first series win in Oakland in ages. Let's get it tomorrow...

Thome25
04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
****ING JENKS!!!! One out from a W!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Stoky44
Pods...still too leapy.

Did the ball bounce off Pods head? Did I see that correctly? And if it did, it looked like he still maybe could have made a play on it, because it bounced pretty high.

ilsox7
Poor game by Ozzie tonight. Hopefully the team comes out firing tomorrow!

Gavin
I can fly I can fly I can fly

itsnotrequired

Gimmie a break. He was charging full bore into the wall. It isn't like he lost the ball in the dark and it hit him while he was standing still.

Anyone blaming tonight's loss on Pods needs to have their head examined.

Soxfest
Jenks was horrid and 3 hits on offense did not help at all!

jlim
Poor Garland.
:whiner:

Fuller_Schettman
Where is Jose Canseco when you need him?

http://crankygreg.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/head_home_run.jpg

UserNameBlank
I blame AJ. There is no way you call for a curveball over the outer part of the plate in a 1-2 count with the game on the line. If you are going to set a target, make the pitcher miss off the plate instead of over the plate. One good pitch there and it either ends up as a game ending strikeout, a foul ball, or a 2-2 count where Bobby can come back with the fastball up and in again.

cheeses_h_rice
Eh, I blame Jenks more than Pods for that 9th inning. Oh well.

slobes
very good point about BA, but I'm thinking that if Bobby can only muster up 89 mph for the time being, I don't really feel comfortable with him out there.

dondosae1
bobby didn't have anything on his fastball.

I don't think Pods would have been able to catch the ball anyway. while it did hit him on the end, I didn't realize it hit the wall first.

i just hate, hate, hate when a pitching performance by Garland is wasted away like that.:angry:

On to tomorrow....

chisoxmike
04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Did that ball go off of Pods' head after it hit the wall, or did it hit it on the fly? :angry:

Oh yeah, ball went off Pods head on the fly. What a dumb ass. What a waste. More blowing in Oakland. Granted, when Jenks is throwing meatballs up to the plate, you knew he was going to get pounded.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: :angry::angry:

A.T. Money
1. Not sure why Ozzie would intentionally walk the left hander with first base open in the bottom of the 9th. Makes no sense at all.

2. Podsednik sucks in left field. A good throw nails Bradley walking into home. Also mistimed the jump on Ellis. He could have caught that ball.

3. Typical Oakland game. Sitting through this, only to see it blown in the bottom of the 9th. If Jenks can't get his fastball above 90 MPH, then it's time to think about a change for closer. Either that, or throw the cutter more often. That fastball is too straight, and throws it first pitch too much.

4. This is a game the Sox gave away.

Barf.

EndemicSox
If Ozzie can't figure out how to use Anderson, please send him to AAA. That is all.

Brian26
****ING JENKS!!!! One out from a W!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

One strike.

It's designed to break your heart.

knocko94
I slow-mowed the second replay they showed and it looked like the ball was ricocheting off the wall on the final play. At least Pods didn't Canseco it.

joebro25
I hate Oakland. I don't know what was worse: The ending to the Cleveland game last week or tonight with Pods pulling a Canseco to end the game.:angry:

peelwonder
Gimmie a break. He was charging full bore into the wall. It isn't like he lost the ball in the dark and it hit him while he was standing still.

My only point is that a Major League outfielder should make that play....

Viva Medias B's
For the fouth game in a row, we got decent starting pitching. Not making excuses for Bobby tonight or our lack of run producing, but Podsednik's defensive miscues cost us the game.

brewcrew/chisox

Yeah because that throw home was absolutely beautiful.:rolleyes:

goon
pods takes it off his head to end the game! it looked like he was nervous about hitting the wall, lesson learned scott, in the most embarrassing fashion possible.

it's okay though, the sox got screwed on that bunt call, pods would have put us up 2-0.

JohnTucker0814
Not just because of the Canseco bonk on the head, but what is Brian Anderson on the team for? It is 1-0, bottom of the 9th, should Anderson be in LF for Pods that is a below average fielder and doesn't have a good arm. Anderson has a better chance to throw that guy out at home and would probably have caught that ball that hit off Pods head... not trying to bash Pods... but when you have a defensive player on the bench... 1-0 in the bottom of the 9th is ideally when he plays!

veeter
04-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I really thought Bobby was going to work out of it. Not his best curve ball to Walker.

spongyfungy
Things that sucked :

-Jenks throwing the exact same pitch to todd walker after he did a good job fighting off the first one.

-Pods airmailing one while Bradley is limping from third.

- Pods doing a canseco. At least it didn't go over for a homer.

- One run?

At least he poked a hole in that beer sign

HotelWhiteSox
good game baseball wise, sucked Sox wise. Not going to rip on Pods though. Brian's not going to be put in left, and I don't know if Ozzie would be so willing to take out one of our hottest hitters in such a close game. In the end it sucks that we couldn't score more throughout the game.

peeonwrigley

He was hardly charging at full speed. He was drifting with the ball, and mistimed an unnecessary jump.

He'd have been better off running back to a spot and then adjusting.

crazyozzie02
dont blame pods for this. blame jenks. he is the one who pitched the ****ing ball that got us to that point

kruzer31
It isnt Pods fault, a 1-2 count to ex cub Todd Walker and you lay one in there just like he did to Vizcaino in game 2 of the World Series, he had two pitches to make him chase out the strike zone. Busted my remote , have to go to comcast tonight, thanks Bobby.

Jeff

ShoelessJoeS
Hmmm, can't really blame anyone else but Jenks, but I like the idea of moving BA to center and Erstad to left in the ninth inning of a close game.

itsnotrequired

It would have taken a PERFECT throw to get Bradley.

DumpJerry
I have no words to describe tonight.:angry:
I do, but the language filter won't let me post them.

the_valenstache
Pods didn't put him on base.

CHISOXFAN13
04-10-2007, 11:55 PM
If Ozzie can't figure out how to use Anderson, please send him to AAA. That is all.

Agreed. Brian should be in Charlotte getting at-bats if he isn't going to be used in those situations. Terrerro would be a better fit as the fifth outfielder.

spiffie
I had a great feeling all game, and then in the ninth I just got the weird "uh oh, its a game in Oakland, something is bound to go wrong" vibe. Apparently so did they.

I would like to see Bobby less reliant on that big curve whenever he gets to two strikes. It feels a little predictable at this point. Especially against a pinch hitter who has just come in, make him catch up to high heat to beat you. Oh well, win tomorrow and notch a series win and it'll all be good.

On a good note, Garland looked awesome tonight.

Jerko
Bobby shouldn't have put us in that situation in the first place. Poor performance by him and the offense today. Man on third, no outs, and we can't score. Great job Garland and Macdougal.

I know Bobby is the closer and I'm not 2nd guessing here, but didn't we have a 1-2-3 bottom of the 8th????? Sometimes there's just a LITTLE too much "formula" managing IMO...... Guy's on a roll leave him in there. I WAS gonna type this in the game thread before Ozzie made the move but I didn't want to jinx anything. That's what I get for believing in jinxes..... :angry:

KRS1
This had better light a fire under everyones butt. This has to be the worst way to lose a game.

Thome25

I agree with this whole heartedly......Pods needs to stop being everyone's favorite whipping boy already. Blame big, fat Bobby ****ING Jenks!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Navarro's Talent
This was bad. Garland and Mac were great out there, and Bobby can't get one more out. Jeez.

Gremlin3
I'm not trying to blame anything on Pods. We shouldn't have been in that situation anyway.

baaadbobbyjenks
04-10-2007, 11:56 PM
My only point is that a Major League outfielder should make that play....

A major league closer should not put his team in that situation. I don't see how you can pin this loss on Pods, especially when he was one of the few who could muster up some offense. Bobby just did not perform today.

Suburbanbuddha
Great job by Garland blown by Jenks.
However...

Erstad 0 for 4
Konerko 0 for 4
Thome 0 for 2 couple walks, but...
Crede 0 for 4
Pierzynski 0 for 4

Lorenzo Barcelo
Just curious...was the gun accurate on WGN tonight? If so he was only hitting 92 and to go along with that decreased velocity = less bite on the curveball imo.

tschneid83
I blame AJ. There is no way you call for a curveball over the outer part of the plate in a 1-2 count with the game on the line. If you are going to set a target, make the pitcher miss off the plate instead of over the plate. One good pitch there and it either ends up as a game ending strikeout, a foul ball, or a 2-2 count where Bobby can come back with the fastball up and in again.

I agree that the blame is on AJ and some on Jenks. Starting the first two batters in the ninth with fastballs (right over the plate fastballs) and then the third to chavez should of been hit as well. I think he thought no way he would throw three in a row so I guess that worked. That was bad, bad.... and ummmmm bad. :angry::angry::angry:

Fuller_Schettman
There is not much emptier a feeling than getting beaten on your 2nd best pitch...

PeteWard

Poor choice of words for tonight. But you are right this one is more on Jenks than anyone else. First two pitches=1st & 2nd. It was the beginning of the end right there even though he got it down to being one strike away.

God that innning just sucked. I think we can all agree on that. Especailly Jon Garland

goon
04-10-2007, 11:57 PM
I really thought Bobby was going to work out of it. Not his best curve ball to Walker.

Yeah, good break, but right over the plate. His fastball was lacking, He seemed to have better velocity in his previous outings.

Viva Medias B's
This was bad. Garland and Mac were great out there, and Bobby can't get one more out. Jeez.

Or one more strike.

MrX
I know Bobby is the closer and I'm not 2nd guessing here, but didn't we have a 1-2-3 bottom of the 8th????? Sometimes there's just a LITTLE too much "formula" managing IMO...... Guy's on a roll leave him in there. I WAS gonna type this in the game thread before Ozzie made the move but I didn't want to jinx anything. That's what I get for believing in jinxes..... :angry:
Especially when Jenks has a history of getting in trouble when he has to pitch two days in a row.

Fuller_Schettman
04-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Just another flukey night in Oakland.

At least we will be able to look back on this game in October and laugh as the champagne drips into our eyes...

ShoelessJoeS
This was bad. Garland and Mac were great out there, and Bobby can't get one more out. Jeez.Or one more ****in strike for that matter.

:angry:

Scottiehaswheels
eh I was really hoping that OG would have brought in a left hander to get all those lefties out of the order, get 2 outs and then bring in Bobby... oh well lets get em tomorrow...

UserNameBlank
04-10-2007, 11:59 PM
I had a great feeling all game, and then in the ninth I just got the weird "uh oh, its a game in Oakland, something is bound to go wrong" vibe. Apparently so did they.

I would like to see Bobby less reliant on that big curve whenever he gets to two strikes. It feels a little predictable at this point. Especially against a pinch hitter who has just come in, make him catch up to high heat to beat you. Oh well, win tomorrow and notch a series win and it'll all be good.

On a good note, Garland looked awesome tonight.
The curve IMO was the right call in that situation but the location was terrible. Blame AJ for that because Bobby threw it where AJ set up. As for being too reliant on the curve, I don't think he is. His curve throws hitters off his fastball and IMO, in that situation to Walker you waste the curve and come back with the fastball up and in since Walker had been chasing it already. Much of the time when Jenks closes out games he uses the same formula, where he gets ahead with his FB and slider, wastes a curve, and gets the K on the FB which is his best pitch.

cheeses_h_rice
Far be it from me to be Mr. Sunshine after a loss like this, but our starting pitching is really starting to come together, which is incredibly encouraging. Now if we could just hit no-names like Cy Gaudin, we probably wouldn't have to worry so much about the ****ing 9th inning...

brewcrew/chisox

Yeah because Bradley has lightning speed. Geeze, he was limping as he rounded THIRD! As soon as that ball came to Pods I knew he wasn't going to get him, not because Bradley had a beat on him but because Pod's arm is terrible.

spiffie

At least we will be able to look back on this game in October and laugh...
Exactly. What is lost in all this pants-pissing and Pods/Jenks knee-jerk reaction hate is the fact that Garland, who everyone was all worried about last week, looked ****ing awesome. MacDougal looked awesome. This team is going to be unstoppable once it gets rolling.

itsnotrequired
04-11-2007, 12:00 AM
He was hardly charging at full speed. He was drifting with the ball, and mistimed an unnecessary jump.

He'd have been better off running back to a spot and then adjusting.

Pods may be fast but he isn't Flash Gordon. Do you know how hard it is to take your eye off the ball at night, charge to the wall and hope to pick it back up in time to make a move?

Madness...

santo=dorf
Parlay (4 Teams) 04/10/07 17:55 ET 50.00/492.95
Result: Wager Lost
Nationals(Washington) (Chico) 0
Braves(Atlanta) (Hudson) 8 04/10/07 (19:40 ET)
Braves(Atlanta) -1.5 (-135)

Reds(Cincinnati) (Lohse) 4
Diamondbacks(Arizona) (Gonzalez) 5 04/10/07 (21:40 ET)
Diamondbacks(Arizona) -121

WhiteSox(Chicago) (Garland) 1
Athletics(Oakland) (Gaudin) 2 04/10/07 (22:10 ET)
WhiteSox(Chicago) -102

Yankees(NewYork) (Pettitte) 10
Twins(Minnesota) (Bonser) 1 04/10/07 (20:15 ET)
Yankees(NewYork) -138
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
JENKS YOU FAT ****!

Boondock Saint
If Bobby doesn't let the first two guys on base, we aren't talking about Pods' throw home or his trying to catch a ball with his hat. That was a cluster**** for everyone involved in that last inning.

slobes
eh I was really hoping that OG would have brought in a left hander to get all those lefties out of the order, get 2 outs and then bring in Bobby... oh well lets get em tomorrow...

Bobby's historically been better against lefties than righties, I believe. Of course, this is when his fastball maxed out in triple digits, not in the high 80s. Bobby Jenks without above average velocity is worthless.

ShoelessJoeS
POSITIVE NOTE: 4 straight quality starts!

baaadbobbyjenks
I am very angry right now. I thought this team was starting to look more and more like 2005, but that didn't work. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, 2005 started out with a once dominant closer getting hit around, only to be replaced by a very good closer, and then by another very good closer. Maybe changing closers will be a good thing, more like 2005?

Huisj
04-11-2007, 12:01 AM
To borrow a line from lots of TV commercials in the state of Michigan last year, "There's plenty of blame to go around."

Jenks pitched lousy, Podsednik didn't make a couple of key plays, nobody got any timely hits with men on base, heck, hardly anyone even got on base, and the ump made a poor call on Podsednik's bunt. How about call it a team loss instead of trying to pin it entirely on one guy?

Thome25

At least we will be able to look back on this game in October and laugh as the champagne drips into our eyes...

The whole champagne deal still remains to be seen with this team as it's currently constructed.

baaadbobbyjenks

I was talking to my dad about that. That gets me very excited.

FloridaSox
I am sure glad we had Pods' arm and glove out there in the 9th.

peeonwrigley
04-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Yeah because Bradley has lightning speed. Geeze, he was limping as he rounded THIRD! As soon as that ball came to Pods I knew he wasn't going to get him, not because Bradley had a beat on him but because Pod's arm is terrible.

Play at the plate aside, he made the right decision to throw home but airmailed the cut off man. Walker didn't even have to think twice about taking 2nd (I'd have to go back and see if the Sox would have had a shot at picking him off or holding him to 1st base). Either way, thats what Sosa used to do that would drive my Cub fan friends crazy.

Brian26
Pods may be fast but he isn't Flash Gordon.

You're showing your lack of super hero knowledge, INR. The fast guy was simply "The Flash" (Wally West in the Modern Age, Barry Allen pre DC-Crisis Silver Age, or Jay Garrick of the Golden Age). Flash Gordon is a space adventurer, but doesn't really have any super-inherent speed.

itsnotrequired

Bradley didn't need lightning speed. The ball wasn't hit hard so didn't get to Pods quickly. The A's know Pods isn't Rocket Arm out there. As soon as Bradley so it was going to land on the moon, he walked on in.

roadrunner
04-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Is there a law that says only Jenks can pitch in the ninth for the Sox? I mean come on so what if he's the "closer" - that's not gonna change. Why not have Thornton ready just in case? it was obvious from the get go that Jenks didn't have it. once Piazza gets the hit - you've got two lefties coming up (Walker being the third)

lame

Frankfan4life
A very sad end to a great pitching performance by JG. Goodnight!

baaadbobbyjenks
I am sure glad we had Pods' arm and glove out there in the 9th.

I am sure glad we had Jenk's arm out there in the 9th. If your gonna be pinning this loss on 9th inning performances, it's gotta be on Bobby.

WhiteSox1983
yeah, at least the sox have a positive from the game, the pitching has been nice. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon we will have the same type of pitching.

RockJock07
Yeah, I agree, if Jenks can only throw 90, someone else needs to be closing.

The home plate Ump was awful, granted it was awful for both sides, but either way, it was the worst i've seen in a LONG time.

A.J. is in a bad slump, if i see a slow roller to 2nd one more time i'm gonna yak.

I AGREE!!!!!!! Anderson needs to be at triple-A unless he's gonna start.

When Pods was on first where was the bunt, come ozzie, small ball!

A.T. Money

2-2.

TheOldRoman
Bobby was bad tonight, but as other have said, it never should have come to a 1-0 game in the 9th. The offense sucked it hard again, against a mediocre converted reliever. We heard that too much last year. The Sox should have put the game well out of reach. Terrible is not a strong enough word to describe the offense tonight.
Garland wasn't on tonight, but he fought through it. He wasted a lot of pitches, and got behind too much. Other than that, it was a really encouraging game from him.
It appears as though Pods needs an automatic defensive sub in every close game come the ninth inning. I am happy with Erstad, but Anderson needs to play. He hasn't started a single game yet, and we have played 7. At very least, he needs to be in CF with Erstad in left come the 9th inning. Pods really made the blooper reel tonight.:angry:

Brian26
JENKS YOU FAT ****!

Classy. Almost as classy as your screenname, but not quite.

spiffie
04-11-2007, 12:04 AM
The curve IMO was the right call in that situation but the location was terrible. Blame AJ for that because Bobby threw it where AJ set up. As for being too reliant on the curve, I don't think he is. His curve throws hitters off his fastball and IMO, in that situation to Walker you waste the curve and come back with the fastball up and in since Walker had been chasing it already. Much of the time when Jenks closes out games he uses the same formula, where he gets ahead with his FB and slider, wastes a curve, and gets the K on the FB which is his best pitch.
Walker had already seen the curve the previous pitch. Unless you're going to put it somewhere impossible to hit, why throw it again the next pitch? Make him keep having to adjust his timing considering he's been sitting for three hours.

Even McDowell noted that Bobby was showing the tendency to keep trying to get strike 3 with the breaking ball. And that won't be as much of a problem in a month or so when he's back to 97-98 on the gun, and hitters don't have as much time to decide what to do, but when they know that the ball isn't likely to be coming in at more than 90 or so either way, there's less margin for that sort of predictability.

A.T. Money
04-11-2007, 12:05 AM
I still don't understand why you IBB a ROOKIE for Mark Ellis. Let the rookie win the game.

Jerome
i always get nervous when the a pitcher has such a great 8th inning but is taken out right away in the 9th because of the established role of the closer. Jenks is the man, but I don't think anyone would have faulted Ozzie for leaving MacDougal in another batter or so. The role of the closer i think is overrated if you have a pen full of guys like the Sox do capable of getting those last 3 outs

santo=dorf
Classy. Almost as classy as your screenname, but not quite.
Preach some more to us. We all know how much you like standing on the WSI soapbox.

:violin:

UserNameBlank
Bobby's historically been better against lefties than righties, I believe. Of course, this is when his fastball maxed out in triple digits, not in the high 80s. Bobby Jenks without above average velocity is worthless.
BS.

Bobby has the pitch selection and overall control to be able to get by without a high nineties fastball. Those first two singles had nothing to do with velocity, just placement, and none of that would have mattered had he gotten the K on Walker.

All a closer has to do is get 3 outs without giving up the lead. The main thing that hurts setup men and middle relievers moving to the closer spot is pressure, but Bobby is just fine with that. Even if Bobby never got his fastball higher than 94 or 95 all year, which will not be the case, he could still rack up another 40 saves.

Boondock Saint
2-2.

My thoughts exactly. A quality start should end up a quality finish.

itsnotrequired
04-11-2007, 12:06 AM
You're showing your lack of super hero knowledge, INR. The fast guy was simply "The Flash" (Wally West in the Modern Age, Barry Allen pre DC-Crisis Silver Age, or Jay Garrick of the Golden Age). Flash Gordon is a space adventurer, but doesn't really have any super-inherent speed.

The Flash couldn't carry Flash Gordon's jock.:redneck

Lorenzo Barcelo
i always get nervous when the a pitcher has such a great 8th inning but is taken out right away in the 9th because of the established role of the closer. Jenks is the man, but I don't think anyone would have faulted Ozzie for leaving MacDougal in another batter or so. The role of the closer i think is overrated if you have a pen full of guys like the Sox do capable of getting those last 3 outs

Didn't MacDougal pitch yesterday more than one inning?

whitesoxfan
2-2.

Offense needs to wake up. Santana is understandable. Gaudin is not. But, the pitching has been great. Our bats just really need to get heated up in the worst way possible.

ShoelessJoeS
Bobby was bad tonight, but as other have said, it never should have come to a 1-0 game in the 9th. The offense sucked it hard again, against a mediocre converted reliever. We heard that too much last year. The Sox should have put the game well out of reach. Terrible is not a strong enough word to describe the offense tonight.
Garland wasn't on tonight, but he fought through it. He wasted a lot of pitches, and got behind too much. Other than that, it was a really encouraging game from him.
It appears as though Pods needs an automatic defensive sub in every close game come the ninth inning. I am happy with Erstad, but Anderson needs to play. He hasn't started a single game yet, and we have played 7. At very least, he needs to be in CF with Erstad in left come the 9th inning. Pods really made the blooper reel tonight.:angry:I mentioned this exact point. Why is BA even on the team if he's not even used as a defensive sub in the 9th inning of a close game? In any case, let's say Erstad moves to left and makes that catch... who knows what would have happened in extras.

HartmanSox
04-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Sox hitters look like they went right from the offseason into the regular season. :angry:

stl_sox_fan
04-11-2007, 05:58 AM
Ugh. Couldn't stay awake for the ending. Now I'm glad. Sox were making Gaudin look great out there. First 9 retired in a row. Jenks what can you say, your closer is supposed to close. Maybe someone should put a picture of Brad Lidge in his locker just to scare him a bit(okay he's not there yet). 3 runs allowed in 17.2 innings in Oakland is nice to see though. Go get 'em today Mark!

wassagstdu
04-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Exactly. What is lost in all this pants-pissing and Pods/Jenks knee-jerk reaction hate is the fact that Garland, who everyone was all worried about last week, looked ****ing awesome. MacDougal looked awesome. This team is going to be unstoppable once it gets rolling.
That's more like it. The blame game is a little hard to take. Win as a team, lose as a team.

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Hell, does it really matter if they were quality or not? It's just like 2006 in the sense that nothing clicked the whole season. We would be winning if things did click, and the win is the only thing that counts.

I hate to be a pessimist, but I bet its going to be another season when there is pitching, but no hitting, and hitting when there is no pitching. It's going to be frustrating, for sure.

Frontman
04-11-2007, 06:37 AM

Don't put it all on Pods. Low 90 fastballs straight down the pipe for the first two batters did not help Bobby's chances.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2007, 06:46 AM
There's plenty of blame to spread around.

Jenks sucked last night.

It's painfully obvious that Pods is a poor defensive outfielder. It's not "second guessing" when I thought to myself during the middle of the ninth inning that Ozzie should have brought in Anderson to CF and moved Erstad to left (or just put Anderson in left), considering it was a 1-0 game and especially since Pods and Erstad had just batted (and would not be "due up" in a hypothetical 10th inning).

Why do the Sox have a hard time hitting young pitchers the first time they see them? This problem predates most of the hitters on the team. It predates Ozzie's tensure as manager and even KW's tenure as GM. So what is the problem? It almost makes me feel like I could get a quality start against the White Sox.

I'll end on a positive note. Garland and MacDougal were great, and Pods is doing a fantastic job as a leadoff hitter. Uribe also looks strong in the field and at the plate.

TomBradley72
04-11-2007, 07:14 AM
I know Bobby is the closer and I'm not 2nd guessing here, but didn't we have a 1-2-3 bottom of the 8th????? Sometimes there's just a LITTLE too much "formula" managing IMO...... Guy's on a roll leave him in there. I WAS gonna type this in the game thread before .... :angry:

Bingo.

Especially when you're asking Jenks to go a 2nd day in a row...there's always a drop off.

TomBradley72
04-11-2007, 07:19 AM
My thoughts exactly. A quality start should end up a quality finish.

No...those are called "saves" or "complete games". :cool:

I'll take the last four starts any time.

TomBradley72
04-11-2007, 07:21 AM
I hate to be a pessimist, but I bet its going to be another season when there is pitching, but no hitting, and hitting when there is no pitching. It's going to be frustrating, for sure.

Then stop being a pessimist. Lots of positives in last night's game and in the series so far. Any time we have Jenks protecting a 1 run lead when he's going for a 2nd day in a row...it's going to be an adventure.

Lukin13
04-11-2007, 07:25 AM
i am a gambler and I bet against our sox every time they are seeing someone for the first time..... you really can't blame anyone but the offense when a converted middle reliever gets a start and blows you away.

Jenks didn't have it tonight, closers all over baseball got lit up early this week. Pods has never had it in left, if you are blaming anyone, blame Kenny for starting another season with him on the roster OR Ozzie for not bringing Brian in to center and shifting Erstad.

Blaming Pods for outfield miscues is like getting pissy when the McDolnalds drive through screws up your super value meal... what do you expect?

Hard one to lose.

Chicken Dinner
04-11-2007, 07:43 AM
I guess Ozzie thought getting Jenks a save was more important than getting the club a win. Jenks needs velocity to be effective and right now he doesn't have it. Giving a game like that to OAK really sucks.

INSox56
04-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Meh, there are three things that stand out...

Pods with that throw, what the **** is that...bradley would have been out by a mile if the throw were anywhere near the plate. He wasn't even that deep for christ sake.

We can't hit ****. 3 ****ing hits? Come on *****

Jenks isn't going to do very well if he can't throw anything faster than 92 with ZERO movement on the ball. Been two weeks Bobby, not asking for 99 yet, but 95 at least would be sufficient.

soxfanatlanta
04-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Why do the Sox have a hard time hitting young pitchers the first time they see them? This problem predates most of the hitters on the team. It predates Ozzie's tensure as manager and even KW's tenure as GM. So what is the problem? It almost makes me feel like I could get a quality start against the White Sox.

Cannot answer what is in the distant past, but there is little to no plate discipline out there; After Gaudin left, it was swing away. You have a team that can hit a bunch of home runs, you have a team that will strike out in bunches as well.

Damn shame for Jon.

Frontman
04-11-2007, 07:48 AM
I guess Ozzie thought getting Jenks a save was more important than getting the club a win. Jenks needs velocity to be effective and right now he doesn't have it. Giving a game like that to OAK really sucks.

Problem is how will Ozzie know if Jenks has the velocity if he doesn't use him? This one was a kick in the gut; but the Sox need to dust themselves off and really get behind Mark today and help him out.

soxfanatlanta
04-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Problem is how will Ozzie know if Jenks has the velocity if he doesn't use him? This one was a kick in the gut; but the Sox need to dust themselves off and really get behind Mark today and help him out.

I agree that Jenks needs to get out there in order to get his fastball back, but you have to keep a short leash on him IMO. With all of our fire power in the pen, you don't have to go "all in" with him right now.

INSox56
04-11-2007, 07:56 AM

heh, try watching the replay. when the ball is to AJ, bradley isn't within 6 feet of the plate.

PaulDrake
04-11-2007, 08:08 AM
I know Bobby is the closer and I'm not 2nd guessing here, but didn't we have a 1-2-3 bottom of the 8th????? Sometimes there's just a LITTLE too much "formula" managing IMO...... Guy's on a roll leave him in there. I WAS gonna type this in the game thread before Ozzie made the move but I didn't want to jinx anything. That's what I get for believing in jinxes..... :angry: Thanks for posting this. I absolutely hate the straight jacket managers put themselves in by having to go by the modern day "book". Since we're all playing the blame game here, let me lay some of it on Ozzie. I continue to be less impressed with his game day managing skills. MacDougal looked real good. Jenks didn't. It was obvious right from the first pitch.

kevingrt
04-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Frustrating.

Pods was so good and then poop.

And Jenks was just plain bad.

and our whole lineup was bad besides Pod.

Law11
04-11-2007, 08:20 AM
It's funny how people see things differently here. After that game last night i was so ticked off at Jenks and AJ for their pitch selection to a guy cold off the bench with 4 AB's to give him the one pitch that would speed up his bat.
You had him 1-2. Tie him up inside with some heat even at 93mph he wouldnt have been able to do anything with it.

Then I come on here this morning and see people ripping into PODS..
This was not Scotty's loss it was the big ugly on the mound that blew this
and he knows it. Time to move on..

White_Sock
04-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Crushing defeat. For some reason, I knew Bobby would throw Walker that curve. Gotta bring the fastball. Typical Sox @ Oakland. I don't know how many games person I have seen just like this one. It's getting old.

Chicken Dinner
04-11-2007, 08:32 AM
It's funny how people see things differently here. After that game last night i was so ticked off at Jenks and AJ for their pitch selection to a guy cold off the bench with 4 AB's to give him the one pitch that would speed up his bat.
You had him 1-2. Tie him up inside with some heat even at 93mph he wouldnt have been able to do anything with it.

Then I come on here this morning and see people ripping into PODS..
This was not Scotty's loss it was the big ugly on the mound that blew this
and he knows it. Time to move on..

It was clearly a Jenks issue. He was most effective when he through a 98-101 electric fastball and he threw the hook once per batter. Now he throws 90 with little movement, thinks he has other pitches to bail him out but can't get them over the plate, and then goes back to a 89 mph fastball and gets hammered. He's been throw like this all during spring training. He needs to mellow out when he's out there also. I think he knows he's going to get hit before he throws the ball.

ode to veeck
04-11-2007, 08:44 AM
It was clearly a Jenks issue. He was most effective when he through a 98-101 electric fastball and he threw the hook once per batter. Now he throws 90 with little movement, thinks he has other pitches to bail him out but can't get them over the plate, and then goes back to a 89 mph fastball and gets hammered. He's been throw like this all during spring training. He needs to mellow out when he's out there also. I think he knows he's going to get hit before he throws the ball.

being at the game and seeing Jenks pitch from just behind the Sox dugout, his fastball looked like it was at least mid - upper 90s--the A's weren't posting the gun readings on the scorebaord as they normally do all night, so could have been an issue there

I liked the 1st breaking ball idea (fouled off) but not the 2nd, should have been gas there

folks blaming Pods are lost, the last ball was well hit high off the wall, would have taken a perfect catch, a tough play you can't blame Pods for; when you have those three guys in the outfield in the 9th, you have to know there are zero arms out there--I thought Pods had no shot at Bradley, but he got pretty good run and velocity on the toss, just missed by a country mile and allowed runners to advance, almost lost the game right there except for quick backup at the plate on the throw well over AJ's head.

One strike from victory, rats :angry:

"I think I can, I think I can ..."

(photo: Jenks warming up in the pen last night)

Dan Mega
04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I cannot believe that this thread almost doubles the thread in post count after a good win. Its one loss, these things happen, lets suck it up and move on. I'm not worried about Jenks because he has established himself as a reliable closer.

I fell asleep after the 7th thinking we had this thing wrapped up. Get em today Mark!

SBSoxFan
04-11-2007, 08:58 AM

BA would have been in center. Who knows if Erstad in left would have made a difference. :whiner:

jabrch
04-11-2007, 09:00 AM
The first three hits all were balls that found holes in the IF. That's just bad luck. Screw it - move on - 155 left to go.

Nice outing for Gar. He should be the big story here, not the geniuses criticizing play calling or substitution patterns. Better luck next time Gar.

Vernam
04-11-2007, 09:12 AM
I cannot believe that this thread almost doubles the thread in post count after a good win. Its one loss, these things happen, lets suck it up and move on. I'm not worried about Jenks because he has established himself as a reliable closer.Yep, and I can't bring myself to read it all. Pods should've caught the ball, but no denying it's Jenks's loss to wear. If Garland keeps pitching that way (and Vazquez, and Danks, and Contreras -- four quality starts in a row), everything's gonna be fine.

Neither team deserved to win after stranding a lead-off triple at third base!

Vernam

ode to veeck
04-11-2007, 09:25 AM
and as long as we've got our healthy stable of fresh bullpen arms too, a nice change from last year, we should be able to wrack up plenty of wins

"Hey check out my wing span!"

infohawk
04-11-2007, 09:27 AM
This had better light a fire under everyones butt. This has to be the worst way to lose a game.
I don't know, I was at opening day....:(:

cws05champ
04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
As for Pods, he shouldn't have even been in there after the 7th. He came up with Cinton on 3rd and 2 out in the 7th, facing a LHP. We all know how he typicaly does against a LHP. Brian should have pinch hit in that spot and taken over in CF or LF. I don't blame Pods for this loss, it's on Ozzie and Jenks.

Hitmen77
04-11-2007, 09:52 AM
on the bright side, the game being on way too late spared me the pain of witnessing it.:(:

I'm very encouraged to see our 4th straight quality outing from a starter, though. Now let's see Buehrle continue that string today. That would make it once through the rotation with good showings. If our starters can be solid like that throughout the season, the Sox are going to rack up alot of wins even with setbacks like yesterday.

jabrch
04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
it's on Ozzie and Jenks.

2-3-4-5-6-7 went 0 for 21. We had 3 stinking hits all game against CHAD GAUDIN.

This was on the offense.

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Then stop being a pessimist. Lots of positives in last night's game and in the series so far. Any time we have Jenks protecting a 1 run lead when he's going for a 2nd day in a row...it's going to be an adventure.
I'll agree to that, but im worried about our terrible hitting. Hopefully, JD, as well as others, can break through this cold streak.

credeistheman
04-11-2007, 10:03 AM

couldn't have said it better...garland and mac-d did a great job. our offense was anemic.

you can't point to pods and say it's all his fault. granted, it was poorly played, but a closer is supposed to close. bobby did not close. overall, a piss-poor defensive effort in the bottom of the ninth.

WizardsofOzzie
04-11-2007, 10:06 AM

This was on the offense.
Yes the offense sucked and should have done better but they still gave Jenks the lead to hold, and he couldn't do it. The offense gave the pen plenty of one run leads in 05, and it turned out pretty well

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Yes the offense sucked and should have done better but they still gave Jenks the lead to hold, and he couldn't do it. The offense gave the pen plenty of one run leads in 05, and it turned out pretty well
JD needs to break the ice. No Excuses.

WizardsofOzzie
04-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Agreed, but I'm still confident he'll snap out of it

infohawk
04-11-2007, 10:15 AM
and as long as we've got our healthy stable of fresh bullpen arms too, a nice change from last year, we should be able to wrack up plenty of wins"
Actually, but for wanting a couple more wins, I'm pretty happy with the way things have looked the last few games. The offense has struggled a bit, but they've been up against some pretty tough pitching. Even Gaudin looked pretty tough. Not to say he'll always be, but he had all kinds of wicked movement last night.

I have no concerns about the ability of this team to score runs. It will be especially great when we start getting into the bottom half of team's rotations. I'm really excited about the pitching, especially the bullpen. Sure Bobby had a bad game, but the team still only gave up two runs. I'd rather lose 2-1 than 9-8. If this team consistently keeps opponents from scoring many runs, they are going to be fine, especially when the offense really starts to click.

I'm not even worried about Bobby. If his velocity doesn't come back, the team has several options to close out games. Very deep and talented staff!

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Agreed, but I'm still confident he'll snap out of it
Once he does, this team can be in business for success.

gobears1987
04-11-2007, 10:20 AM
I know Pods isn't the greatest fielder, but let's be honest. If BA was playing today, he wouldn't have been put in LF. Why would Ozzie bench the hottest hitter on the team?

So the people saying BA should've been in the game need to realize he probably would've been in RF.

Besides, you can't blame Pods here. Bobby is the one who truly deserves the blame. As do our hitters who couldn't get a runner on 3rd with no outs in.

SoxfaninLA
04-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Painful game to lose, especially in that hellhole. A lot of blame goes around for this loss.

-Ozzie: There is no reason for Pods to be in the game with a lead in the ninth inning. Anderson is our best defensive outfielder, put him in center and put Erstad in left. A good throw would have nailed Bradley at the plate, I am not saying that Erstad would have for sure made that throw, but he had a lot better chance to do it than noodle-armed Pods.

-Jenks: Bobby just didn't have it tonight. Every closer has some rough outings throughout the season, hope Bobby can bounce back, because he didn't look good last night and I really wonder about some of the pitch selections.

-Offense: The offense gets the biggest share of the blame for this one. As bad as the ninth inning was, we aren't in that same position with a little bit of execution earlier in the game. The 5th and 7th inning are also what lost this game for us. In the fifth you had Mackowiak on third with one out and Pods whiffs then Erstad rolls one to second. The inning that really killed me was the 7th. We get a gift triple from Cintron, and Mack slaps one at the shortstop, and Uribe spins himself into the ground striking out. Just pitiful. The Pods bunt after Uribe was a blown call, but we can't cry about spilled milk there, the way things were going Pods probably would have grounded out to 2nd.

There were positives though, outside of Bobby I really like the way the pitching looks. The offense will eventually wake up. Dye is not going to keep looking like a AAA player out there and AJ and Crede will come along also. Everyone was worried about the pitching coming into the season, and the last 4 game the pitching has looked real good all around, and that is a good sign I think we were all looking for.

WizardsofOzzie
04-11-2007, 10:28 AM

This was on the offense.
Kinda reminds me of this gem (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7577/1975/1600/dribble.jpg) from last year

The Immigrant
04-11-2007, 10:31 AM

Christmas gift idea for Podsednik?

jabrch
04-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Kinda reminds me of this gem (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7577/1975/1600/dribble.jpg) from last year

Javy got screwed that time. But you are right - the middle of the order made Gabbard look like...Gaudin.

AZChiSoxFan
04-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Is there a law that says only Jenks can pitch in the ninth for the Sox? I mean come on so what if he's the "closer" - that's not gonna change. Why not have Thornton ready just in case? it was obvious from the get go that Jenks didn't have it. once Piazza gets the hit - you've got two lefties coming up (Walker being the third)

lame

I totally agree with this line of thinking. However, pretty much every manager in baseball goes with the philosophy that "I have a closer, so I'm bringing him in to close games, even in instances when it's obvious to everyone that he doesn't have it."

The Sox have too many good pitchers in the bullpen to just automatically throw Jenks out there when his fastball is only hitting in the 90-91 range.

AZChiSoxFan
04-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Christmas gift idea for Podsednik?

LOL!!

Law11
04-11-2007, 10:37 AM
You PODs ditractors act like that ball that was hit was routine...
he was playing in to begin with. Thats not his call thats Ozzie's.
Then trying to sprint back, find the ball, time your jump for a ball at the top of the wall all in a matter of about 4 seconds.. Sure piece of cake..

Lets not place any blame on situation that presented itself... if Bobby does his job the game ends with Mr 4 ab's this year Todd Walker down 1-2..

My last rant on this thread..
Go get em today.. I took a vaca day instead of driving 2 hours in the snow.
At least I'll have something to watch today..

champagne030
04-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Painful game to lose, especially in that hellhole. A lot of blame goes around for this loss.

-Ozzie: There is no reason for Pods to be in the game with a lead in the ninth inning. Anderson is our best defensive outfielder, put him in center and put Erstad in left. A good throw would have nailed Bradley at the plate, I am not saying that Erstad would have for sure made that throw, but he had a lot better chance to do it than noodle-armed Pods.

-Jenks: Bobby just didn't have it tonight. Every closer has some rough outings throughout the season, hope Bobby can bounce back, because he didn't look good last night and I really wonder about some of the pitch selections.

-Offense: The offense gets the biggest share of the blame for this one. As bad as the ninth inning was, we aren't in that same position with a little bit of execution earlier in the game. The 5th and 7th inning are also what lost this game for us. In the fifth you had Mackowiak on third with one out and Pods whiffs then Erstad rolls one to second. The inning that really killed me was the 7th. We get a gift triple from Cintron, and Mack slaps one at the shortstop, and Uribe spins himself into the ground striking out. Just pitiful. The Pods bunt after Uribe was a blown call, but we can't cry about spilled milk there, the way things were going Pods probably would have grounded out to 2nd.

There were positives though, outside of Bobby I really like the way the pitching looks. The offense will eventually wake up. Dye is not going to keep looking like a AAA player out there and AJ and Crede will come along also. Everyone was worried about the pitching coming into the season, and the last 4 game the pitching has looked real good all around, and that is a good sign I think we were all looking for.

:thumbsup:

Ozzie/Pods, Jenks and the offense all deserve blame for the loss last night.

INSox56
04-11-2007, 10:46 AM
I know Pods isn't the greatest fielder, but let's be honest. If BA was playing today, he wouldn't have been put in LF. Why would Ozzie bench the hottest hitter on the team?

So the people saying BA should've been in the game need to realize he probably would've been in RF.

Besides, you can't blame Pods here. Bobby is the one who truly deserves the blame. As do our hitters who couldn't get a runner on 3rd with no outs in.
Yeah, but you pay for the win, you don't play for the tie. Meaning you put the people in that will give you the win in the 9th, not play for a possible "what if we need Pods' bat in the 10th" scenario. Erstad>Pods in LF, Brian is more or less neglegible except for the thought that erstad would replace Pods.

CLR01
04-11-2007, 10:54 AM
:thumbsup:

Ozzie/Pods, Jenks and the offense all deserve blame for the loss last night.

^^^^

oeo
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM

What does JD have to do with anything? I understand he's been awful, but he didn't even play yesterday.

JB98
04-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but you pay for the win, you don't play for the tie. Meaning you put the people in that will give you the win in the 9th, not play for a possible "what if we need Pods' bat in the 10th" scenario. Erstad>Pods in LF, Brian is more or less neglegible except for the thought that erstad would replace Pods.

Basically, the question is, "Do you think Erstad would have thrown out Bradley in the ninth?" I'm not sure the answer is yes, so I'm not going to question Ozzie on that. Jenks sucked, and we need the bats to wake up. We've scored only 25 runs in the first seven games. We haven't scored more than four runs in a game in a week. We are fortunate to have three victories the way we are swinging the bats right now.