PDA

View Full Version : Who else is going to miss Blackjack?

UserNameBlank
04-11-2007, 12:21 AM
I love Hawk's enthusiasm, but Blackjack IMO is a far better option in the booth. Agree or disagree?

Gremlin3
04-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Agree, I will absolutely miss black jack. I love the insight. The conversation in the booth is much better too..

California Sox
04-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Would dump any of the four regulars for black jack.

Murphy10
04-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Blackjack is the man. It's just to me I can't imagine a whole season going by without Hawk in the both. I'm still waiting for the DJ/Chris Singleton combo. And no that is not supposed to be in teal

AnkleSox
04-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Man I would kill to have Blackjack replace Hawk. Even DJ sounds better when he talks to Blackjack. Probably because he doesn't have to suck up to an arrogant jackass.

Sad
04-11-2007, 08:02 AM
I love Hawk's enthusiasm, but Blackjack IMO is a far better option in the booth. Agree or disagree?

No way.
I missed Hawk in the first inning of Monday night's game...

Craig Grebeck
04-11-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't like Hawk, but the baseball cliches were so rampant and awful. Every conversation sounded like an article on FireJoeMorgan. It was horrendous.

I liked Blackjack, but DJ was redundant and boring (oddly enough Hawk's best traits). Also, I get it, Blackjack was an awesome pitcher, no need to keep bringing up his forkball DJ.

CleeFan101
04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
DJ really has become a very good announcer, really all that is holding him back is Hawk Harrelson. Im not sure if I would want Blackjack up there permanently but it sure is nice to get a break from Hawk.

Personally my favorite combo was the Hawk/Ventura/DJ combo for that 3 game stretch or whatevr, that was very enjoyable.

CRAW
04-11-2007, 09:30 AM

I'm slowly getting used to Black Jack, but I love The Hawk, and I missed the tired, but very enthusiastic "You can put it on the board" line for Thome and Pods' homers Monday night.

DrCrawdad
04-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Jack McDowell sounds too much like a former friend of mine. I can't stand it.

kobo
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I thought McDowell was decent, but I was really surprised with DJ's play-by-play. He has come a long way since he started, and I enjoyed listening to the games the last 2 nights. Personally, I would love to have DJ and Ventura in the booth, I think that would be a great combo.

veeter
04-11-2007, 09:44 AM
McDowell does a great job of getting in to the minds of the players. Letting you know what they are probably thinking. I like Hawk, but if he was replaced by Black Jack, I would love the move.

INSox56
04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
McDowell does a great job of getting in to the minds of the players. Letting you know what they are probably thinking. I like Hawk, but if he was replaced by Black Jack, I would love the move.agreed

ode to veeck
04-11-2007, 09:52 AM
It's just to me I can't imagine a whole season going by without Hawk in the both.

I've been waiting for more than 20 years for no more Hawk in the booth. At least we didn't have to suffer Drysdale too many years.

Sportscaster17
04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Hawk is the man but they need to cut the strings on DJ and Black Jack and see if they can't bring back Tommy Paciorek. I have some old tapes from SportsChannel Chicago in the middle/late 90s and those two were awesome.

Frontman
04-11-2007, 10:06 AM
I'd love a 3 man broadcast team of Hawk, DJ, and Black Jack. You can get the Hawkisms everyone loves, yet DJ would have someone to talk to during the mid-innings when it seems Hawk and Farmio go hit the bar and leave their broadcast teammates talking to themselves.

mccoydp
04-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Hawk is the man but they need to cut the strings on DJ and Black Jack and see if they can't bring back Tommy Paciorek. I have some old tapes from SportsChannel Chicago in the middle/late 90s and those two were awesome.

I liked Wimpy too, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to return.

lumpyspun
04-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I thought Jack was pretty bad, although he seems like he has potential once he got some more games under his belt.

mantis1212
04-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't replace Hawk, but I would definitely replace any of the other 3 broadcasters with BlackJack.

The radio team needs some serious changes. Farmer and Singleton are absolutely horrible. I didn't mind Farmer when he had Rooney carrying the broadcast (some of the strange things he said were entertaining), but now they just chit chat about bull****. Radio braodcaster need to be better than that.

Get Jack on the radio!

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Agree, he's much more subtle in his call's/opinions, as Hawk complains all game. I'm definitely going to miss Blackjack, he's good.:(:

Law11
04-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd dump Hawk in a second for Jack in the booth.
It was nice not having to hear "where was that pitch?"

doublem23
04-11-2007, 11:56 AM
While I'm going to miss Jack McDowell, I will not miss the combo of DJ and Black Jack because all Darrin does is talk and talk and talk. Now that Farmio is the epicenter of Sox radio broadcasts, I'm tempted to watch the Sox with no sound at all.

soxinem1
04-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't think Jack McDowell has any interest in being an announcer full-time. He has cash and leisure on his side to enjoy. Why would he want to go hopping airplanes and sleeping in hotels again? He does not seem to miss baseball at all. It looks like he's content with these occasional games, and that's okay.

Plus, what would there be to talk about after the first two weeks of the broadcast?

His trips down memory lane are nice, but who wants to hear nine innings of forkballs, 1988 White Sox stories, and great long-lasting memories of he and DJ being teammates for a whole 4 1/2 months in a season that was wiped out because of greed?

TomBradley72
04-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't think Jack McDowell has any interest in being an announcer full-time. He has cash and leisure on his side to enjoy. Why would he want to go hopping airplanes and sleeping in hotels again? He does not seem to miss baseball at all. It looks like he's content with these occasional games, and that's okay.

He'd be a nice add to the Comcast pregame/postgame show...adding a pitcher's perspective...he could even do it "remote" from Southern CA to avoid the travel,etc.

MILTMAY5
04-11-2007, 01:34 PM

Plus, what would there be to talk about after the first two weeks of the broadcast?

His trips down memory lane are nice, but who wants to hear nine innings of forkballs, 1988 White Sox stories, and great long-lasting memories of he and DJ being teammates for a whole 4 1/2 months in a season that was wiped out because of greed?I seem to be in the minority here, but I can't take another day of DJ play by play. Black Jack seems to have potential, it's hard to tell with DJ tripping over his tongue the entire broadcast. I heard Hawk in the booth with the Red Sox announcers during their game against the Mariners and it was awesome! DJ bores me to tears!!

ilsox7
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I seem to be in the minority here, but I can't take another day of DJ play by play. Black Jack seems to have potential, it's hard to tell with DJ tripping over his tongue the entire broadcast. I heard Hawk in the booth with the Red Sox announcers during their game against the Mariners and it was awesome! DJ bores me to tears!!

DJ is awful. Now maybe he is less awful without Hawk, but any way you paint it, he sucks at his job.

ewokpelts
04-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Hawk's better at being a color man. I caught himi in the booth for the Red Sox opener with thier crew and his stories had a point, his insight was better artiticulated and he seemed to be having a good time. Hawk would really be better suited for pre/post game. Dj, with any combo of Ventura, Black Jack, or Singleton, seems better relaxed as a play by play man and color.

russ99
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I'd love a 3 man broadcast team of Hawk, DJ, and Black Jack. You can get the Hawkisms everyone loves, yet DJ would have someone to talk to during the mid-innings when it seems Hawk and Farmio go hit the bar and leave their broadcast teammates talking to themselves.

Wow, that's not a bad idea... Brooks, you looking in?

Black Jack was great the last 2 nights, but I miss Hawk. It may be cheesy, but I missed the corny Hawk-isms and Harrelson's pulling for the "good guys" a bit too much.

I don't mind Singleton as much as some Sox fans do, but he's the guy I'd replace if Black Jack would be willing to do this full-time.

BringBackBlkJack
04-11-2007, 02:15 PM
While my screen name was created pre-2005 season when the Sox had no pitching, I think it has found new meaning!

I'd be able to live with Hawk, DJ, BlackJack. I'd also be cool with Hawk and BlackJack. I think DJ and Singleton would be good together for radio.

stacksedwards
04-11-2007, 02:17 PM
They had the chance to bring him into the mix after 05 season on the radio. Maybe he doesnt want to do it full time.

areilly
04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
They had the chance to bring him into the mix after 05 season on the radio. Maybe he doesnt want to do it full time.

I've read interviews where he says he doesn't want any kind of travel-intensive job until his kids are out of the house.

Baby Fisk
04-11-2007, 03:28 PM
While I'm going to miss Jack McDowell, I will not miss the combo of DJ and Black Jack because all Darrin does is talk and talk and talk.

Agreed. It's great to listen to Black Jack's insights and stories, but he's too laid back for on air. DJ has to keep prompting him to speak, and more often than not DJ starts filling the dead air with his own happy chatter.

It would be cool if the Sox brought a different alumnus into the booth to do colour and reminisce once every week or two. You could easily round up a few dozen former players to participate, no? Imagine Dick Allen terrorizing DJ in the booth. Haha!

doublem23
04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I think DJ and Singleton would be good together for radio.

I think if I ever tuned into a game and heard DJ and Singleton together my radio would literally vaporize.

EndemicSox
04-11-2007, 04:06 PM
The chemistry between Harrelson and Jackson is questionable at best. Jackson and McDowell seem to enjoy being in the booth together, and it makes the broadcast much better. Hawk takes himself way too seriously...and even though I grew up listening to him, I wouldn't miss him.

Jerome
04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
agreed, i'm not really a fan of hawk

BRDSR
04-11-2007, 05:48 PM
As far as baseball analysis, Blackjack and DJ have been pretty good. I've definitely gotten some nuggets from McDowell that I wouldn't have gotten from Hawk or DJ. He's a great insight into the pitcher's mind.

However, when Dye just hit a two-run homer to tie the game in the 8th, DJ didn't get excited until the ball had cleared the fence, hit the ground, and bounced back over the fence. I'm not even sure he knew it was home run.

As far as excitement, nothing beats "Stretch!" or "Get on back there!" at least when it clears the yard. It does get a little old when the outfielder catches it on the front edge of the warning track.

Navarro's Talent
04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Blackjack's been great. I certainly wouldn't complain if he came back sometime soon to cover more games. I'd rather have him sub than Ventura again!

HawkDJ
04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Blackjack needs to bring back the pink mohawk. Then we'll talk.

UserNameBlank
04-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't mind that either, especially if the result is a large cut down on Hawk's rambling in place of actual, present day analysis from Blackjack.

The Bulls three man team has been great so far this season because Stacey King did exactly that. His presence makes Red Kerr a better announcer. The Bulls, though, do have a much better PBP man than DJ, but I think DJ could eventually improve in that area.

PalehosePlanet
04-11-2007, 06:35 PM
I liked Blackjack's work with Corey Mcpherin during the WS coverage back in '05 on Fox. I was hoping at that time that either he or Ventura would replace Rooney -- that is if we weren't going to bring in a trained, real broadcaster. I was schocked that Singleton got the job. :o:

As far as Hawk goes? He is White Sox baseball; period.

UserNameBlank
04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Agreed. It's great to listen to Black Jack's insights and stories, but he's too laid back for on air. DJ has to keep prompting him to speak, and more often than not DJ starts filling the dead air with his own happy chatter.

It would be cool if the Sox brought a different alumnus into the booth to do colour and reminisce once every week or two. You could easily round up a few dozen former players to participate, no? Imagine Dick Allen terrorizing DJ in the booth. Haha!
Yuck!

Hawk and DJ are a two man story machine already. You bring in another former player... mercy!

If anything the Sox should bring in a rotating PBP man to actually call the game and prompt our two color men on what to analyze and when, instead of spouting off about how different baseball in 2007 is from baseball in 1964 every five minutes.

Dan Mega
04-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I just want Rooney to come back.:whiner:

ws05champs
04-11-2007, 07:00 PM
As far as baseball analysis, Blackjack and DJ have been pretty good. I've definitely gotten some nuggets from McDowell that I wouldn't have gotten from Hawk or DJ. He's a great insight into the pitcher's mind.

However, when Dye just hit a two-run homer to tie the game in the 8th, DJ didn't get excited until the ball had cleared the fence, hit the ground, and bounced back over the fence. I'm not even sure he knew it was home run.

As far as excitement, nothing beats "Stretch!" or "Get on back there!" at least when it clears the yard. It does get a little old when the outfielder catches it on the front edge of the warning track.

That's my take on it. I learn more about why a pitcher is being effective and why a certain pitch is being thrown in 1 game with McDowell than an entire season with Hawk and DJ. In my ideal world I would have McDowell and DJ to the play by play and analysis and wheel Hawk out when a home run is hit or an umpire makes a series of bad calls.

stillz
04-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Hawk's a living legend. I'll enjoy him until he's gone.

Blackjack and DJ were enjoyable though.

JermaineDye05
04-13-2007, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Black Jack replace DJ, or seeing him replace someone on the radio. No way would I want him over Hawk though, I love Hawk.

FireMariotti
04-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Hawk is a great PBP man who brings unique style to the broadcast. I like listening to him call a game, and I think that the only way he should ever leave the booth is on his own terms (retirement, death, etc).

That being said, I really enjoyed the Blackjack/DJ combo these last three games. It's nice to hear McDowell's in depth analysis of a pitcher's mentality. You cannot get this kind of analysis from a Hawk/DJ broadcast. Like many of you have mentioned, DJ is a much better commentator when he is without Hawk. I enjoy him much more on the national broadcasts and when he is paired with a person like McDowell or Ventura.

Reinsdorf will never let the Hawk go before the Hawk wants to leave. He is as much a part of White Sox baseball as Nancy Faust or Gene Honda or Homerun fireworks is. I give Harrelson another three years at most until he calls it quits.

vegyrex
04-13-2007, 11:28 AM
I love Jack, always will, but I still want Hawk back. :smile:

esbrechtel
04-14-2007, 05:01 PM
I just feel like we are always losing when blackjack announces....lighten up a bit...

soxrme
04-14-2007, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't replace Hawk, but I would definitely replace any of the other 3 broadcasters with BlackJack.

The radio team needs some serious changes. Farmer and Singleton are absolutely horrible. I didn't mind Farmer when he had Rooney carrying the broadcast (some of the strange things he said were entertaining), but now they just chit chat about bull****. Radio braodcaster need to be better than that.

Get Jack on the radio!
Get anybody who can do play by play - Farmer is awful

Brian26
04-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Get anybody who can do play by play - Farmer is awful

And yet, he's not even as bad as Singleton is.

I've noticed over the past week Singleton's major flaw. When a play happens, Singleton simply doesn't convey the result of what happened on the field quick enough. He's too caught up in describing the action word-for-word and making sure he using the correct words and being as descriptive as possible. For example, on a home run call, you'll hear the crowd start cheering for a couple of seconds before Singleton is done telling you that the ball cleared the fence.

Today Marte dropped a pop-up or missed a ball in short left field for the Indians, and it took Singleton ten seconds to tell the radio listeners that Thome was standing on second base. Singleton said something like, "Highhh pop-up around third base, and Andy Marte is moving and drifting back waiting (crowd groans) and oh no! with the wind causing problems Marte will drop the ball in short right field as it pops out of his glove and thankfully Jim Thome was running hard out of the batter's box as he was able to easily get to second base."

John Rooney used to get to the point, "Marte drops the ball and Thome will reach second on the error." Save the descriptive stuff for after the play. The radio listener needs to know what happened immediately.

MillerSoxFan
04-15-2007, 11:52 PM
I bet Singeton would be better with anyone else in the booth but Farmer. Farmer is brutal and getting worse. The games are almost impossible to listen to.

UserNameBlank
04-16-2007, 07:28 AM
I bet Singeton would be better with anyone else in the booth but Farmer. Farmer is brutal and getting worse. The games are almost impossible to listen to.
It goes both ways I guess. I bet Farmer would be better in the booth with anyone other than Singleton.

I don't know what it is with the Sox and commentators, but they've been stocking up on them like they're left handed pitchers. The Sox need a true PBP man and their announce teams are going to suck until they pick one up.

chopperjc
04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
It is not that I mind Hawk is a "homer" but some of his comments regarding his screaming to hit someone crosses the line. He sould never "Be" the story. I for one loved BlackJack. I am all for an overhaul. DJ is well..... DJ. Has he been better? Sure he has did anyone think he could actually get worse? I listen to all of them and I find good and bad but I believe we are on the very low end of the scale. :(:

(For the record Bert is great on Min games)

INSox56
04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I bet Singeton would be better with anyone else in the booth but Farmer. Farmer is brutal and getting worse. The games are almost impossible to listen to.Pretty funny, I believe it was Saturday when I was listening and there was a base hit for the Indians...they then went on to rag on each other for wearing warm clothing. The next thing they said related to the ballgame was that the count was 3-0 to the next batter! Don't see how you can do that on the radio...TV, maybe, but radio....NO.