PDA

View Full Version : Pods/Erstad>Pods/Iguchi?

DumpJerry
04-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I know it's early, but I think Pods and Erstad is shaping up as a more deadly 1-2 that Pods and Iguchi were in '05. Erstad gets the bunt down better and is more aggressive on the bases.

If Uribe can keep up his .300 hitting, then cancel all non-White Sox social plans in October!

krohnjw
04-10-2007, 11:03 PM
As much as I want Anderson to get a chance Erstad has won me over so far with his bat control. He looks like he will be very adept at moving runners along and making productive outs if Pods can continue to get on base. So far so good. :cool:

Hopefully this will give Iguchi a chance to settle in and round out the bottom of the order.

BiggestFan14
04-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Iguchi did a great job in the role, but I think Erstad is a lot better option at the two spot. So I think the current setup is best. And it looks awesome so far.

chisox77
04-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I have a real good feeling about Erstad. And Pods looks very good so far. Very crisp swing.

:cool:

Craig Grebeck
04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
No---it has been a horribly small sample size and the offense has been pretty bad. In a perfect world, Iguchi would be allowed to bat second and swing free without having to compromise ABs.

DumpJerry
04-10-2007, 11:13 PM
As much as I want Anderson to get a chance Erstad has won me over so far with his bat control. He looks like he will be very adept at moving runners along and making productive outs if Pods can continue to get on base. So far so good. :cool:

Hopefully this will give Iguchi a chance to settle in and round out the bottom of the order.
You bring up a good point. Having Anderson on the bench to spell Erstad takes a lot of pressure off Anderson to be The Man and allow him to develop at a better pace.

Thome25
04-10-2007, 11:14 PM
No---it has been a horribly small sample size and the offense has been pretty bad. In a perfect world, Iguchi would be allowed to bat second and swing free without having to compromise ABs.

Once an Erstad hater always an Erstad hater I guess.

oeo
04-10-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't care who's in the 2nd spot...the only guy that's going to make it look good or bad is Pods. Pods is blazing hot right now, so it looks good.

fusillirob1983
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM

The weakest parts of the offense so far have been Thome, Dye, AJ, and Iguchi.

UserNameBlank
04-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I was very anti-Erstad prior to the start of the season, but he is really winning me over. Hopefully he keeps it up all season.

Murphy10
04-10-2007, 11:41 PM
As much as i was digging the pods gooch combo. I am going to say that this definitely has the potential to be better. However I'm not going to say definitively until we get further in the year

Craig Grebeck
04-11-2007, 07:50 AM
It just hasn't been a sufficient amount of time to make any judgment about how good/bad Erstad will be (without looking at his past few seasons) or how good/bad Podsednik will be. Ideally, Pods continues his Pujols-ish OPS, but it won't happen. If he can continue to take a lot of pitches, work pitchers, and get XBH, I will be very pleased.

And Thome25, I was pointing out small sample size and how ridiculous it is to make a judgment off of it. I could easily say Erstad has been a disappointment because his 2-3 bad games in a row dropped his averages down to .250/.333/.375/.708---I'll give it some more time before I make a judgment. Either way, there's absolutely no reason Erstad should play EVERY inning as he pretty much has done so far. He's too fragile and it would be nice to see him pinch hit for or replaced in the lineup against lefties and guys he can't handle (Harden).

daveeym
04-11-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't care who's in the 2nd spot...the only guy that's going to make it look good or bad is Pods. Pods is blazing hot right now, so it looks good.Quoted for truth. That's what I was going to say. Iguchi basically has given us identical seasons for 2 years. The only difference in how it looked was how pods was doing in front of him.

jabrch
04-11-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think it is a matter of better or worse. Both combinations can be very effective. If the middle of the order doesn't hit, it won't matter much at all.

credeistheman
04-11-2007, 09:27 AM
i'm a fan of the erstad-pods combo. erstad has shown that his bat is versatile, he can lay 'em down, hit 'n run, slap single, and drive it hard.

let's just hope erstad/pods can stay healthy.

Hitmen77
04-11-2007, 10:30 AM
It just hasn't been a sufficient amount of time to make any judgment about how good/bad Erstad will be (without looking at his past few seasons) or how good/bad Podsednik will be. Ideally, Pods continues his Pujols-ish OPS, but it won't happen. If he can continue to take a lot of pitches, work pitchers, and get XBH, I will be very pleased.

:rolleyes:
This coming from someone who made up his mind about the Erstad acquisition ("terrible, terrible move") in January. I guess you're the only one who is allowed to jump to conclusions before the games are played.

maurice
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
One good argument in favor of Iguchi in the #2 hole is that it breaks up the lefties. It seems like Ozzie is gonna send out a lineup with 3 lefties in the top 4 spots almost every day. That sucks late in games against teams with good lefty relievers.

FarWestChicago
04-11-2007, 10:13 PM

This coming from someone who made up his mind about the Erstad acquisition ("terrible, terrible move") in January. I guess you're the only one who is allowed to jump to conclusions before the games are played.You have to understand stathead geniuses work under different rules than the rest of us. They can say whatever they want because they are brilliant. :smile:

JB98
04-11-2007, 10:19 PM
This coming from someone who made up his mind about the Erstad acquisition ("terrible, terrible move") in January. I guess you're the only one who is allowed to jump to conclusions before the games are played.

He's waiting for Erstad to go in a slump, which he will, as all players do. Then he will pounce with his "I told ya so" crap. :D:

Craig Grebeck
04-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Hence the parentheses.

The Dude
04-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I know it's early, but I think Pods and Erstad is shaping up as a more deadly 1-2 that Pods and Iguchi were in '05. Erstad gets the bunt down better and is more aggressive on the bases.

If Uribe can keep up his .300 hitting, then cancel all non-White Sox social plans in October!

Neither. I want a Erstad/Iguchi or anything that keeps Pods out of the lineup. I don't care if he has had a few good games here and there. He is a liability in LF and always will be. His hitting is sub par for a leadoff man.

But if you are just asking about those two combos, Erstad is the guy.

Jurr
04-11-2007, 10:57 PM
What I find to be funny about the "Oh my God. Pods and Iguchi were awesome in '05" stuff is the fact that nobody mentions Carl Everett.

When Pods was really rolling in '05, he was scoring the vast majority of his runs from the bat of Crazy Carl. Pods would single, maybe steal a base or get moved over by 'Gooch, then Carl would finish the deed.

The new Pods (so far this year) has been making a lot more contact than the '05 Pods. Back then, Scott would get bunt singles, bleeders up the middle, etc. Now he's driving the ball with authority. Even his singles are frozen ropes.

It seemed like the '05 Sox relied heavily on early leads, stemmed mainly by Pods getting himself in scoring position for Everett. It was almost systematic.

I love the new Sox lineup, but it's a different mindset. Carl was going to cut down his swing to get a run in, and Ozzie would manufacture accordingly to set that situation up. With PK, Thome, and Dye, there's too much of a "knock it out of the park" mentality there. It can definitely work for our boys, but the dynamic of the first three in the order is totally different from early '05.

The Dude
04-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Once an Erstad hater always an Erstad hater I guess.

Just like you with BA.

JB98
04-11-2007, 10:59 PM

And Thome25, I was pointing out small sample size and how ridiculous it is to make a judgment off of it. I could easily say Erstad has been a disappointment because his 2-3 bad games in a row dropped his averages down to .250/.333/.375/.708---I'll give it some more time before I make a judgment. Either way, there's absolutely no reason Erstad should play EVERY inning as he pretty much has done so far. He's too fragile and it would be nice to see him pinch hit for or replaced in the lineup against lefties and guys he can't handle (Harden).

After all, BA handles guys like Harden easily.:rolleyes:

cburns
04-11-2007, 11:24 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised at Erstad's ability to handle the bat. If there was anyone to put down a sacrifice bunt on this team I would want it to be him.

LauraJ14
04-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I like the Pods/ Erstad combo at the top because it pushs better hitters down to 6-9 and there are not 2 automatic outs at the bottom of the lineup (Uribe and Anderson).

maurice
04-12-2007, 11:56 AM
it pushs better hitters down to 6-9

Causing the better hitters to get fewer ABs . . . which is another good reason to bat Iguchi 2nd.

Here's a 3rd good reason to bat Iguchi 2nd: He seems to struggle every time Ozzie moves him down (.176 AVE so far this year and similar struggles in Spring Training last year). OTOH, he thrives in the 2 hole.

Maybe he'll turn it around this year.

Boondock Saint
04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I like the Pods/ Erstad combo at the top because it pushs better hitters down to 6-9 and there are not 2 automatic outs at the bottom of the lineup (Uribe and Anderson).

An argument could be made (I guess I'm making it) that Uribe has been one of our 3 best hitters so far this year. He's showing a lot more patience at the plate than he did all of last year. But I agree with your point that Having Guch makes our 7-8-9 spots a lot better, instead of being an easy inning for a pitcher.

doublem23
04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Still too early in his career to see where he fits best in a line-up, but damn, that production out of the 2-hole is pretty solid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7510/situational;_ylt=Ao4ztRCzT7Jd.rCxkPt4gPyFCLcF?year =career&type=Batting