PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Welcome back Jose! 4-9 postgame thread

DumpJerry
04-10-2007, 12:47 AM
That's the Jose we know and love. Glad the impostor from last game is gone!

All other AL Central teams who played today lost!

Late game situational hitting comes back in the 8th.

Pitching is great.

We win in Oakland. (say that a few times!)

Loved hearing all the Sox fans cheering at the game!

159-3, here we come!
:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Jurr
04-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Paul Konerko, so help me God, was involved in a manufactured run. And he was on the basepaths. Wow.

Let's hope the Sox can figure out how to hit lesser known pitchers. Go get 'em tomorrow, boys!

hi im skot
Beeeeeeeautiful!

Great game, fellas!

Hokiesox
Great win tonight. I hope they do it again tomorrow. :bandance:

ilsox7
Three solid baseball games in a row. And we've won two of them. I like!

oeo
They've looked good the last few games. I'm getting real excited about the things this team could do.

Justagirl
:bandance:

And an exceptionally awesome job by Pods tonight. Fantastic. :smile:

peeonwrigley
A win in Oakland and in bed before midnight?

:hawk

"Yes."

HotelWhiteSox
Pods and Jose get free lunch tomorrow.

Murphy10
Great game by jose. Loving the Mac, Thorton, Jenks combo. AWESOME. Also good job by pods and Thome by smacking those two. I'm really like what I am seeing!

CHISOXFAN13
House of Horrors my ass!!

What a complete victory that was. Clutch hitting, solid execution for the most part and tremendous pitching.

We should all asleep well tonight as this one certainly looked like it would be tough to get with Harden on the bump.

aryzner
Great game tonight.

Great pitching. Really great game for Pods. He went what, 3 for 4 with a HR and one SB? Awesome stuff.

IlliniSox4Life
04-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Jose struggled early on, but got out of everything. Hopefully he builds on this next outing.

peeonwrigley
Paul Konerko, so help me God, was involved in a manufactured run. And he was on the basepaths. Wow.

Let's hope the Sox can figure out how to hit lesser known pitchers. Go get 'em tomorrow, boys!

PK was immediately summoned for drug testing after this sequence. Can't say I blame MLB for that one.

Flight #24
Very nice win. All the things you like to see: Excellent pitching at both ends, some execution, great D, and a bit o'thunder. Pods on pace for 27HR!!!!

Let's go JG, keep up the roll of great pitching tomorrow and let's move into first!

UserNameBlank
Other than one miscue on the bases, this game should serve as the formula for the entire season. Big hits, great starting pitching, lights-out bullpen.

Great victory tonight.

SOecks
Great job by the bullpen and of course, Pods. Keep it up. Winning in Oakland is very...different.

Gavin
04-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Jose was ok. Podsednik looked like frickin' Mr. Baseball tonight.

lakeviewsoxfan
Oakland really has a ****ty lineup, I am seeing brooms come Wednesday.

Cuck_The_Fubs
I'm really feeling confident in our starting pitching/bullpen within the last 4 games. Pods is really making a smooth comeback :smile:.

oeo
Jose was ok. Podsednik looked like frickin' Mr. Baseball tonight.

Don't let the first couple of innings fool you, he settled down after that and looked good.

whitesoxfan
04-10-2007, 12:52 AM
As long as our pitching continues to dominate like we did tonight, we're going to win our fair share of games.

Great outing for Jose tonight. The bullpen was lights out once again as well. Offense had some timely hits, got a couple of bombs, and added those big insurance runs in the 8th.

Maybe Ozzie was right when he said that he had a feeling that things are going to change in Oakland. Let's keep it up and get another solid effort tomorrow.

CHISOXFAN13
Great job by the bullpen and of course, Pods. Keep it up. Winning in Oakland is very...different.

All I could think about today was that miserable series out there in September last year.

It really feels good to win at Oakland.

voodoochile
Great team win, shades of 2005...

:):supernana:

Soxfest
Nice to get a win in Oakland.:dtroll:

Corlose 15
Wow, what an outstanding game. Great pitching, mostly solid fundamentals, the long ball with a little small ball, some great defense. That is White Sox baseball.

TheOldRoman
04-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Jose certainly didn't have his best stuff, but he fought through it. Great outing by him. Plus, he decreased his ERA by 85%.:D:

Pods was awesome today. The homer was obviously huge, but he got three hits (two off of Harden who pitched very well), and stole a base. He was a beast today.

ShoelessJoeS
04-10-2007, 12:54 AM

:):supernana:Quality starting pitching, solid relief, timely hitting... yup, sounds about right!

:bandance:

Evman5
Didn't see the game...looks like a good win.

What happened to Thome in the 8th inning? It said he got thrown out advancing from 2nd to 3rd on a Crede single to right. Base running gaffe? or something else goofy? Thanks

Brian26
A comeback win too. After the A's scored first, people thought that might be enough for Harden to win. Not so fast.

The_Floridian
04-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Sox looked awful the first two games, but I like what I'm seeing since. Lots of good manufacturing of runs, and the homers are inevitable. Bullpen has been outstanding. Nice work Jose. Keep stickin' it to The Man.

IlliniSox4Life
04-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Oh yeah, we're 1 game out! Watch out Minnesota! Breathing down your kneck!

Corlose 15
04-10-2007, 12:57 AM

What happened to Thome in the 8th inning? It said he got thrown out advancing from 2nd to 3rd on a Crede single to right. Base running gaffe? or something else goofy? Thanks

He overan third base which caused Crede to get caught in a rundown and they they threw over and got Thome as he slid back to third.

Navarro's Talent
04-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Now, that's a great win! They did everything right in this one, and it was good to see Pods with a homer! And yes, great to see Jose bouncing back the way a number one starter should after his first outing. The bullpen is really good so far.

DachnoPiitu
pods!

i hope j.d. starts getting those hits

good thing a.j. got one

and hey, they beat the As in OAKLAND!!

TheOldRoman

Thome rounded third and stopped, Crede went towards 2nd because he thought the play was at home. The throw was cut off, and Thome moved off third to try to get Joe back to a base. He was tagged out getting back to third.

lumpyspun
04-10-2007, 12:59 AM
If they keep this kind of play up I will be saving money on the Pepto Bismol, Tums, and Rolaids this year...

TheOldRoman
04-10-2007, 12:59 AM
He overan third base which caused Crede to get caught in a rundown and they they threw over and got Thome as he slid back to third.Thome didn't overrun third, Crede overran first because he thought there would be a play at home.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-10-2007, 01:00 AM
So nice to go to sleep with a White Sox winner in my head. Pods with power and PK with a manufactured run no less! :cool:

oeo
04-10-2007, 01:01 AM
If they keep this kind of play up I will be saving money on the Pepto Bismol, Tums, and Rolaids this year...

These are 2005-type games...I love these, not the slugfests we got into last year.

HotelWhiteSox
I don't think their offense is that bad. Some of their guys may be a little cold right now. Jose might have thrown a lot of pitches early but got out of the jams when he needed to. I also liked how he adjusted, he seemed to take advantage of how the ump liked that outside strike.

I'd also like to add that I did call the Thome HR. http://www.smileycollector.com/images/Bow_T.gif

StrTrkker
Thumbs up to Jose...Pods...Paulie...Big Jim T...Mac...Matt & Big Bad Bobby. Well done...Now lets make a big statement tomorrow and win big.

oeo
Thome didn't overrun third, Crede overran first because he thought there would be a play at home.

Crede forgot Cora is on the bench now.

baaadbobbyjenks
04-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Pitching looked great today. Also, we showed we have power with two home runs, and then showed we can manufacture runs through our two runs by way of a single and a sacrifice fly. Good game all around.

chisoxwschamps05
04-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Last year was proof that we need Pods to do what he did in 05 to be successful and that we need a solid, reliable bullpen. That's what we got last night and it showed.

Bucky F. Dent
04-10-2007, 07:59 AM

That's the way they won in 2005.

I'll foot the bill for the antacid if the result is the same!!!:D:

TomBradley72
04-10-2007, 08:51 AM
A few other observations:

Erstad laid down a bunt by dropping almost to a knee to get to a low ball (almost in the dirt)
GREAT DP late in the game turned by Uribe/Cintron/Konerko
Ozzie going to mound with two outs in the 6th...leaves Jose in. A classic move supporting his starter.
AJ running almost a mile trying to get to a pop foul...doesn't get it..the ENTIRE walk back to the plate..he's yapping with fans.(in a good way).We may have played some games in 2006 as fundamentally sound as this one...but not many.

Lukin13
04-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Great win!

As big as an early season win can be.

Contreras still didn't look good to me for most of his start.... lots of hard hit balls. BUT that is baseball and sometimes you luck out. Hopefully this will be a huge confidence boost for him.

Great job bullpen! Don't let DJ and Blackjack fool you, Oakland has some pop 3 through 7... they are gonna score some runs this year. But three scoreless against any AL team is impressive.

balke
04-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Jose looks so good when he's throwing his fastball. All those walks were coming off breaking pitches, it was so frustrating to watch. He looked great those last couple of innings though. I'm pretty optimistic about this team right now. So long as Danks gives us his all every game, this could be a great year for the Sox. Bullpen looks tough, Vazquez looked insane last game, I hope Garland fairs better tonight in the heat.

Thome25
04-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Great win and Jose looked great as well. I just hope (*crosses fingers*) that we can keep playing like this.

Podsednik looks pretty solid this season as well. (I know, I know it's still early.) But, if he keeps playing like this and has a solid year I'm going to start the "Podsednik Apology Thread" for all the haters to apologize.

DrGozzie
04-10-2007, 09:24 AM
What a fun game to watch! I have to admit I was not happy about Erstad at first, but I didn't know anything about him, I just really like Brian. But from what I've seen so far, if this is how it's going to be, fine, I'm liking Erstad more and more all the time. Nice game for Pods. Yay Jose!

White_Sock
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I was at the game last night.......PODS OWNS RICH HARDEN! Great game by Jose and then our 1, 2, 3 punch from Macdougal, Thornton, and Jenks was fantastic. Sac bunts, sac flys, and a PODS HR! Thome was incredible too...Mr. Incredible.

I had only one problem at this game. A cubs fan was sitting in front of me....what a bozo. He was a loud mouth drunken idiot. I had to bite my tounge because most of the garbage he was spewing could only come from either a complete idiot or a cubs fan; he was both. He was hardcore cheering (when he was paying attention) against the Sox for stupid things like individual strikes (preceding a HR) and yelling: "SOX SUCK- GO CUBS" while holding out the logo of his St. Patty's day Cubs shirt. What a clown. I just turn to the fans around me and said: "This is why there is such a problem between Sox and Cub fans in Chicago; this idiot is a typical Cubs fan." The fans in Oakland got a glimpse of the nincomeboobery that is cubdumb.

I still had a terrific experience in Oakland last night. THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!:gulp: I'll take 156 more of those!

I'll be there tonight as well.

soxfan13
04-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I am sooooo glad the Sox won last night, since I wished defeat on them yesterday, by pointing out that they have had problems in Oakland the last 5 or 6 years:smile:

ND_Sox_Fan
04-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Great game to watch - great pitching, balanced offense and solid defense.

I also enjoyed listening to Black Jack in the booth. He and Hawk would make a great pair, although I did think that DJ did a good job setting Jack up to talk in certain places.

pdimas
04-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I gotta disagree with some posters that Jose had a great game. The first three innings he was continually falling behind in the count with quite a few 2-0 counts and the A's were making solid contact with the ball. I give him props for battling back though and getting better as the game went on. Overall a good team win though. Pods was an animal. He looks like he is starting to find his groove. I really like him and Erstad as the one and two batters. Stolen bases, sac flies, homeruns, solid pen work hopefully we keep it up. If we do we will be one scary team.

MCHSoxFan
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
YYEEESSSSS!!!! We moved up in the division!!! I am soooo happy. Jose did GGRRREEEAAATTT!!! This is the REAL Jose. I am so happy right now. I was so loud in my apartment, my neighbors actually complained about me. Once again, YYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!! :D: :D: :D:

:supernana: :)

veeter
04-10-2007, 10:17 AM

:):supernana:Very true. The 2005 went out to Oakland early and played great. Widger hit a big homer off Zito. The feeling is the same this time around. A huge play to me was Uribe starting that DP on Piazza. Very tough hop handled flawlessly. He boots that and it's a different ball game. Great Defense Sox!!!

Dan Mega
04-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I fell asleep after the 7th but I was confident the bullpen would hold them and get the win.

Last night, the darkclouds and FOBB's took one to the jaw. Let the pummeling continue!:bandance:

jabrch
04-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I gotta disagree with some posters that Jose had a great game.

You must be a tough man to please. 6 IP, 4 hits, 4 BB, 1 ER is a pretty good game. I know he had a few innings where he had to throw a lot of pitches, and a few innings where just one hit could have broken it open, but the same can be said of Santana on Sunday. A hit here or there in the 1st two innings would have changed that game as well.

I know what you mean - I needed to keep a spare pair of boxers around for a few of those innings. But at the end of the day, I was thrilled to see Contreras be able to go after hitters when he needed to and throw all his pitches.

SoxfaninLA
04-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Jose looked pretty shaky the first couple innings, but tightened up and got the 6 innings that we needed. The walks were more frustrating than anything, that was shades of the Jose we got from the Yankees in 2004. Hopefully pitching a couple solid innings later in the game and holding a lead will get him back in his groove.

The bullpen was great again last night. Their performance so far is really exciting after all the trouble we had last year. Only one baserunner in 3 innings, and Thornton looked sharp, so hopefully he is fully on track now. Let's go get the next two, we owe the A's alot of payback after the past several years in that house of horrors.

pdimas
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
You must be a tough man to please. 6 IP, 4 hits, 4 BB, 1 ER is a pretty good game. I know he had a few innings where he had to throw a lot of pitches, and a few innings where just one hit could have broken it open, but the same can be said of Santana on Sunday. A hit here or there in the 1st two innings would have changed that game as well.

I know what you mean - I needed to keep a spare pair of boxers around for a few of those innings. But at the end of the day, I was thrilled to see Contreras be able to go after hitters when he needed to and throw all his pitches.

It just worried me that the first three innings he was falling to an 2-0 count with most of the batters and then either he would get that outside corner or the batter would make solid contact to one of our outfielders. I love that the ump was giving him that outside corner because I have seen many times where they don't. If he doesnt get that call from the ump you see more guys on the base paths. But like I said he battled back and once he got into his groove looked pretty damned good. Maybe i just got spoiled when Jose was dominating :redface:

jenn2080
04-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I gotta disagree with some posters that Jose had a great game. The first three innings he was continually falling behind in the count with quite a few 2-0 counts and the A's were making solid contact with the ball. I give him props for battling back though and getting better as the game went on. Overall a good team win though. Pods was an animal. He looks like he is starting to find his groove. I really like him and Erstad as the one and two batters. Stolen bases, sac flies, homeruns, solid pen work hopefully we keep it up. If we do we will be one scary team.

I agree Jose was def falling behind the first few innings. Either way he still stuck it out and found his groove.

jabrch
04-10-2007, 10:55 AM
It just worried me that the first three innings he was falling to an 2-0 count with most of the batters and then either he would get that outside corner or the batter would make solid contact to one of our outfielders. I love that the ump was giving him that outside corner because I have seen many times where they don't. If he doesnt get that call from the ump you see more guys on the base paths. But like I said he battled back and once he got into his groove looked pretty damned good. Maybe i just got spoiled when Jose was dominating :redface:

I agree with you - he was falling behind a lot early. That's probably why he only went 6 instead of 8. You are right that the line score looks much better than the actual game did for Jose. However, like Hawk says, don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit em. That's my biggest problem with a lot of the guys who end up on Oakland. They feast on #4 and #5 starters, but their splits are much less attractive against #1s and #2s. Contreras buckled down when he needed too. Hopefully he can keep improving and be more like the dominator we saw last year and in 2005.

He may also be a more successful pitcher as the weather gets better and he gets looser/stronger.

Hendu
04-10-2007, 11:04 AM
There's nothing better than silencing those annoying air horns. Great game by Jose, and MacDougal.

PalehosePlanet
04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
As far as Jose goes, don't forget that the A's and Billy Bean's offensive philosphy is to take alot of pitches, work the pitcher and coax walks. I think the weight came off Jose's back when he got the fly out of Swisher on the 2-0 pitch with the bags jammed. After that he cruised. Also I disagree that alot of balls were hit hard, maybe very early on, but their only rally was set up by a bloop, gork shot by Crosby.

Also for all you Uribe haters, that DP he started on the bad hop had all the makings for a typical bad luck "house of horrors" moment that we've become accustomed to at Oakland. Especially after a cheap infield hit by Bradley. Juan is an OUTSTANDING defender, which to me is more important than any of his over-swinging offensive deficiencies that everyone over-harps on.

Keep up the great work pitchers; it was a great win!

SBSoxFan
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
This team likes scoring runs late. I like that!

jabrch
04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Juan is an OUTSTANDING defender, which to me is more important than any of his over-swinging offensive deficiencies that everyone over-harps on.

I agree with you about his D. I also think his offensive problems are exaggerated. Last year he had a terrible season. But in 2004 he had a great year. (.283/.327/.501). He swings hard - no doubt - but he actually makes contact a lot. He's not a guy who will strike out 150 times. There's no reason he can't post numbers somewhere around his three year average (.260/.310/.450) and be a very effective hitter at the bottom of the order who plays GG calibre D at a relatively low salary.

Some people can complain about Uribe all they want - but if Uribe is this team's biggest problem (as he might have been for much of 2005) then we will be in damn good shape come October.

AJ Hellraiser
04-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Was Contreras great? NO... But he was good enough and won without his BEST stuff..

In the meantime, since the first 2 games, our pitching staff has allowed a total of 7 runs in 4 games.. we only lost cuz of Johan.. bastard...

We're going to win plenty of games if we get this kind of pitching!!!

PeteFitz
04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Welcome back, El Tumblino.

At his alleged age, you never know when Stella may lose her groove. It was good to him attacking the strike zone. His command wasn't typical Josey, but it was promising. And the results moreso.

And that Mike Mac can deal. A string bean with a rocket arm. Great game. Good to see the boys put it all together in Oakland. I know in the past they have dumped quite a few games out there on a play here and there. It was good to see everything come up Sox.

Now if Garland can get it going, and we miss Haren. I got a good feeling abou this series.

Winston Sox
04-10-2007, 12:34 PM
It was a great game to watch - once Jose got over his early inning troubles that is. And man, how I love watching these guys come out of the pen!

I loved having Black Jack doing the commentary with DJ...

My only "yuk" moment of the game was when Cintron muffed the sacrifice, and then hit into the double play, but all told, stuff like that will happen from time to time.

chisoxfanatic
04-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I had a huge headache and was trying to sleep, but couldn't, so I turned on the TV and immediately saw Scotty Pods launch one. I didn't think I was seeing clearly, as it took at least a half minute to believe I saw what happened. I'd have to say that has to be just about his most complete game with the franchise.

Maybe this can start another 16+-game winning streak for Contreras as we roll on to the best record in MLB history.

White_Sock
04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I had a huge headache and was trying to sleep, but couldn't, so I turned on the TV and immediately saw Scotty Pods launch one. I didn't think I was seeing clearly, as it took at least a half minute to believe I saw what happened.

I was at the game and did a quadruple take on that Pods HR. I couldn't believe it. I kept looking at the scoreboard and then back at my score sheet to make sure I didn't miss a batter. Seeing a Pods home run is almost as rare as seeing a no hitter. Unbelievable.