PDA

View Full Version : First start for Rauch, Bullpen set as well

Jerry_Manuel
03-22-2002, 08:15 PM
From whitesox.com

Either Wright or Garland will start the third game of the season against Seattle. Rauch will make his first start April 9 at Detroit, but Manuel said he will do his best to get him a relief outing before then. ...

Manuel announced the bullpen is also set with right-handers Keith Foulke, Glover, Osuna, Howry, Lorenzo Barcelo and southpaw Kelly Wunsch. LHP Mike Porzio is the leading candidate if the Sox decide to take 12 pitchers. Manuel said a decision on that will likely be made at the "12th hour," perhaps even after the final exhibition game at San Francisco on March 31. ...

danman31
03-22-2002, 09:59 PM
I think we should cut Wright. The guy had nothing last year, he has nothing this year. I know I'm going a little beyond here, but I think the guy is a waste of a roster space. If we have all these pitching prospects, why was he brought up last year?

Daver
03-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by danman31
I think we should cut Wright. The guy had nothing last year, he has nothing this year. I know I'm going a little beyond here, but I think the guy is a waste of a roster space. If we have all these pitching prospects, why was he brought up last year?

Because he can pitch,at a high level.Because he is a five pitch pitcher that can throw all of them strikes.What more do you need?

http://users.pandora.be/p0p0/youare.swf

danman31
03-22-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by daver
Because he can pitch,at a high level.Because he is a five pitch pitcher that can throw all of them strikes.What more do you need?

http://users.pandora.be/p0p0/youare.swf Ok, if you are going to call me an idiot tell me what he has done for the Sox in his major league career?

FarWestChicago
03-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Ok, if you are going to call me an idiot tell me what he has done for the Sox in his major league career? He did pretty well against Seattle last year. If that is a glimpse of his potential, cutting him instead of developing or trading him seems a bit wasteful.

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Ok, if you are going to call me an idiot tell me what he has done for the Sox in his major league career? the only reason i am not jumping on this is B/C YOU ARE A FRESHMAN.

Daver
03-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Ok, if you are going to call me an idiot tell me what he has done for the Sox in his major league career?

So you are saying you want to write him off after what,15 games?If you ran a team with that way of thinking the Devils Rays would be good compared to you.You don't write off young pitchers based on ST numbers,and you definately don't write them off based on their first 25 games,which Wright has yet to get to,what exactly is your criteria for judging pitching,and what is good and what is bad based on your criteria?

RedPinStripes
03-22-2002, 10:34 PM

I think you need to re- think that post.

danman31
03-22-2002, 10:48 PM
So you are saying you want to write him off after what,15 games?If you ran a team with that way of thinking the Devils Rays would be good compared to you.You don't write off young pitchers based on ST numbers,and you definately don't write them off based on their first 25 games,which Wright has yet to get to,what exactly is your criteria for judging pitching,and what is good and what is bad based on your criteria? I didn't say write him off, but what I said was that he was playing like he should be cut from the Sox and head down to AAA Charlotte. He isn't ready for the bigs, definitely not as a starter.

Daver
03-22-2002, 10:57 PM
I didn't say write him off, but what I said was that he was playing like he should be cut from the Sox and head down to AAA Charlotte. He isn't ready for the bigs, definitely not as a starter.

Again, I ask,what criteria do you base this on? Since you seem to know more than all the pro scouts I would be interested to hear the answer.

danman31
03-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Again, I ask,what criteria do you base this on? Since you seem to know more than all the pro scouts I would be interested to hear the answer. If he isn't pitching well in the majors, why is he pitching there?

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 11:01 PM
If he isn't pitching well in the majors, why is he pitching there? by your account, who should you replace him with.

danman31
03-22-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
by your account, who should you replace him with. Have one of the young kids get a chance to prove themselves. I don't know numbers from ST, but from what I hear Wright is doing bad. I thought he should've been sent down last year and get called back up for the 40 man roster.

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 11:07 PM
, but from what I hear come on, don't you see the error of what you are talking about?????? let this subject die.........

Daver
03-22-2002, 11:08 PM
If he isn't pitching well in the majors, why is he pitching there?

You could say the same for Jack MacDowell,he did not pitch well in his first attempts,but he went on to being a dominant pitcher.Again,I ask, what criteria are you basing this on?History was just thrown out the door,so you need to come up with some valid points.

czalgosz
03-22-2002, 11:37 PM

You could say the same for Jack MacDowell,he did not pitch well in his first attempts,but he went on to being a dominant pitcher.Again,I ask, what criteria are you basing this on?History was just thrown out the door,so you need to come up with some valid points.

Agreed. Wright definitely has the stuff to be a successful major-league starter. He'll be fine in the long run. His starts against Cleveland and Seattle last season proved that.

Both Garland and Wright are in for a rocky April and May, IMO, but there's really nothing to do other than let them sweat it out. Like I've said before, I don't think anyone will run away with this thing, and unless the Sox play like they did last year to start the season, they'll have plenty of time to sort out the pitching situation.

I will be at Pac Bell Park March 31. I'm looking forward to it. As for anything else, at this point I'll start worrying in May.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-23-2002, 10:23 AM

Wright is one of those pitching prospects.

LongDistanceFan
03-23-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

Wright is one of those pitching prospects. explain this........ disregard............. i misread your post.......... sorry

danman31
03-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Ok, everybody realize that in my second post I said he should be cut from the Sox and sent down to AAA Charlotte. I said cut as in cut from the Sox, not from the organization as a whole. I don't see how that is so bad. Just let him develop a little more control. If the Sox were going to be as bad as TB has been in the past, then go ahead and let him develop in the majors because then you have nothing to lose. The Sox are not TB, they are a favorite to win the division this year and they can't afford to have a project this year. Wright pitched poorly last year for the most part and if they are going to risk having him struggle why can't some other prospect get a shot?

A question for the rest of you that I honestly don't know the answer to: With Borchard supposedly being kept in the minors because of possible labor trouble, could the Sox have been thinking that they should keep a higher pitching prospect in the minors and bring up a 2nd tier guy like Wright or was it just that Wright seemed like the #1 guy with Rauch hurt?

czalgosz
03-23-2002, 01:06 PM
Ok, everybody realize that in my second post I said he should be cut from the Sox and sent down to AAA Charlotte. I said cut as in cut from the Sox, not from the organization as a whole. I don't see how that is so bad. Just let him develop a little more control. If the Sox were going to be as bad as TB has been in the past, then go ahead and let him develop in the majors because then you have nothing to lose. The Sox are not TB, they are a favorite to win the division this year and they can't afford to have a project this year. Wright pitched poorly last year for the most part and if they are going to risk having him struggle why can't some other prospect get a shot?

A question for the rest of you that I honestly don't know the answer to: With Borchard supposedly being kept in the minors because of possible labor trouble, could the Sox have been thinking that they should keep a higher pitching prospect in the minors and bring up a 2nd tier guy like Wright or was it just that Wright seemed like the #1 guy with Rauch hurt?

Well, at this point, the Sox have really little choice. The Sox have a handful of options to fill in the 3-5 spots in the rotation, but pretty much every one has their role predetermined. Biddle is out indefinitely, Parque needs some AAA time to bring his velocity up, Barcelo and Glover will be needed in the bullpen, and Guerrier is obviously not ready.

So, what originally was supposed to be 7 pitchers vying for 2 starting jobs has been whittled down to two, more because of extenuating circumstances than anything else.

Hopefully Biddle and Parque can both come back some time in May or June and restore order. Until then, the Sox will just have to make do.

Randar68
03-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
the only reason i am not jumping on this is B/C YOU ARE A FRESHMAN.

There are no options other that Danny Wright, and he has as much or more talent than about everyone but Malone or Rauch...

Jerry_Manuel
03-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
There are no options other that Danny Wright, and he has as much or more talent than about everyone but Malone or Rauch...

Randar, how do you think Wright will fare this year? If he stays as a starter the entire season.

Randar68
03-23-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Randar, how do you think Wright will fare this year? If he stays as a starter the entire season.

Good lord, if I knew, I wouldn't be an engineer!

Seriously. He has the same dominant stuff, but, can he harness and control it like he was able to do in the minors in 2000 and 2001? That was the first real year or so that he has ever been able to be consistent and control a game or his pitches. I am inclined to think the light just "switched on", but who knows. Kip never was mentally tough enough, can Danny settle himself down and be the pitcher I think he can be? That's the question.

My prediction?

about a .500 record (maybe better if the offense can bail him out at times) with maybe a 4-something ERA. I think he will drive us crazy this year. great some days/innings, and absolutely aweful at other times.

FarWestChicago
03-23-2002, 07:33 PM

Good lord, if I knew, I wouldn't be an engineer!Damnit, Jim! I'm an engineer, not a psychic! :smile:

Daver
03-23-2002, 07:35 PM

Kip never was mentally tough enough, can Danny settle himself down and be the pitcher I think he can be? That's the question.

Kip crapped his pants everytime he got in a jam,I hope Danny doesn't follow in his messy footprints.

LongDistanceFan
03-23-2002, 10:11 PM

There are no options other that Danny Wright, and he has as much or more talent than about everyone but Malone or Rauch... i was saying that since he was a freshman, i have been jump on b/c i was suppose to have misinterpret past post. i was leaving myself out of the post............ but i couldn't resist it.