PDA

View Full Version : Random question re: Jeff Abbott

seventyseven
04-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm sure most of you remember Jeff Abbott, who played OF for the Sox in the late-90's:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/abbotje01.shtml

Anyways, I remember a game Hawk and Wimpy were calling, and they were talking about Jeff, and Hawk said, "I don't like him." Wimpy replied, "Me neither."

I can't ever remember another instance of announcers (especially home team announcers) voicing their personal dislike for a player on the air. Does anyone else remember this? What was the deal?

Chez
04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I don't remember that at all. Maybe they were talking about a change in his stance or something. I remember Hawk (and Schueler) always raving about Abbott. Schueler had Abbott rated way higher than Magglio.

seventyseven
04-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I remember the Sox liking Jeff a lot, too - that's why it seemed so strange.

Of course, this occurred during college for me. And it would not be the first thing I do not remember clearly from the college years. :gulp:

TomBradley72
04-09-2007, 10:09 AM
For a while...he really looked like a "can't miss" prospect with a great swing...then he disappeared....

infohawk
04-09-2007, 11:09 AM
For a while...he really looked like a "can't miss" prospect with a great swing...then he disappeared....
Every once in awhile Hawk will talk about a young player with a lot of ability "who shall remain unnamed" who acted as if he invented the game and would't take any constructive criticism or advice and was disrespectful toward the coaching staff. The story goes that KW held a team meeting and kicked this player off the team in front of the other players. I always suspected that Hawk was referring to Jeff Abbott. I don't know for certain, though.

sox1970
04-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Every once in awhile Hawk will talk about a young player with a lot of ability "who shall remain unnamed" who acted as if he invented the game and would't take any constructive criticism or advice and was disrespectful toward the coaching staff. The story goes that KW held a team meeting and kicked this player off the team in front of the other players. I always suspected that Hawk was referring to Jeff Abbott. I don't know for certain, though.

No, it wasn't. It's a guy that never made it past AA, named Dan Olson.

This was while Kenny was the minor league director, not as GM.

BanditJimmy
04-09-2007, 02:02 PM

Are you sure?

I could have sworn that the guy was Mike Carusso.

SBSoxFan
04-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Hawk told the story during a broadcast this spring training. Hawk said that's when he knew Kenny would be a good GM. So, I thought it was hist first year as GM.

infohawk
04-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Interesting. Olson may very well be the guy. I had always wondered if it was Abbott because he did kind of just...disappear.

soxinem1
04-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Williams didn't become GM until after the 2000 season. Abbott spent all of Y2K with the White Sox, then was traded straight up for that jerk/scrub Julio Ramirez right after Thanksgiving that year.

IIRC, KW had the issue with a minor leaguer before he was GM. And Jeff Abbott was not the guy.

I was disappointed on how things went with him. He was one of the reasons Scheuler let Joey Belle walk. He was the Opening Day LF in '99, hit for **** in about 20 games, then was banished to AAA the rest of the season.

He was actally drafted twice by the White Sox.....

EastCoastSoxFan
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Anyways, I remember a game Hawk and Wimpy were calling, and they were talking about Jeff, and Hawk said, "I don't like him." Wimpy replied, "Me neither."

I can't ever remember another instance of announcers (especially home team announcers) voicing their personal dislike for a player on the air. Does anyone else remember this? What was the deal?The only game I can think of where Hawk sounded anything like this was sometime around '92 or '93 against the Blue Jays.
At one point the left fielder (I don't remember if it was ours or theirs) misjudged a fly ball, basically turning around to field it off the fence when he probably could have run back and caught it, and Hawk's analysis was, "That was a bad play right there."
And then when the manager came out to change pitchers Hawk chimed in, "They oughta replace the left fielder."
By this point I was practically rolling, convinced that Hawk had been imbibing in the booth.
And I think also in the same game our pitcher was ejected for hitting a batter after having received a warning, and when Todd Stottlemyre threw behind Frank Thomas the next inning, Hawk yelled, "They threw our guy out. Why the hell didn't they throw out Stottlemyre?!"

Corlose 15
04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I seem to recall Hawk talking about Abbot and saying that he changed his swing, and Hawk didn't like the changes. They obviously didn't work for him.

Anyone else remember this?

Zisk77
04-10-2007, 01:46 PM

I was under the impression it was that speedy little lefthanded cf that everyone compared to Brett Butler. I just can't think of his name. He was from California iirc.

Zisk77
04-10-2007, 01:51 PM
:mckay Was it this guy. I always thought Hawk was talking about him? McKay Christenson?

TomBradley72
04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I was under the impression it was that speedy little lefthanded cf that everyone compared to Brett Butler. I just can't think of his name. He was from California iirc.

McKay Christiansen?

Zisk77
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Yep, thanks Tom. When I heard Hawk talking it seemed like he fit the bill. I remember McKay costing us a game in Balt. when Baines hit a 2-out fly to deep center that he dropped during the kids can play season.

sox1970
04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Yep, thanks Tom. When I heard Hawk talking it seemed like he fit the bill. I remember McKay costing us a game in Balt. when Baines hit a 2-out fly to deep center that he dropped during the kids can play season.

The guy Kenny called out and released was Dan Olson, and it was in the spring of 2000 while KW was minor league director.

Hawk has had some words about Jeff Abbott because he couldn't understand why he changed his hitting approach when he came up to the Sox.

This spring, Hawk and DJ talked about McKay Christensen a couple times because they talked about how DJ started off hot one year on the road, they came back home, and DJ sat for Christensen.

DJ went on to tell a story about how he gave some advice to McKay about shielding his eyes in the Arizona sun, and he kinda blew him off. The game started, and McKay promptly lost a ball in the sun.

California Sox
04-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Hawk did talk about Abbott changing his swing. Maybe to try for more power. It was a complete disaster and he never found his old swing again. That was a good group of outfielders we had in the minors back then with Maggs, Cameron, Abbott, and (blast from the past) Jimmy Hurst.