PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Oakland trip out of the way early.

Moses_Scurry
04-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Thank God!

russ99
04-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Thank God!

Oakland's not the team they were last year. I expect the Sox to have a decent chance in this series.

Chicken Dinner
04-09-2007, 10:49 AM
We have to go back in August. :o:

soxfan13
04-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Oakland's not the team they were last year. I expect the Sox to have a decent chance in this series.

Doesnt matter the Sox have problems every year

doublem23
04-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Maybe, but we have to face Harden tonight, and he can be downright filthy. At least we don't have to see Haren. I'm much more confident against Chad Gaudin and Joe Kennedy.

JGarlandrules20
04-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Hopefully Dye doesn't wind up playing short stop in this series.

Viva Medias B's
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Yeah, but we always seem to have trouble in Oakland. Even in 2005. The A's could have nine nuns take the field at the Coliseum and still give us trouble.

Berkules
04-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm out in Northern California so the only time I get to see the Sox is when they go to Oakland...I've been going every year since going to Berkeley in about 2002 and in I heard some nasty stat that between 2000-2005, the Sox were like 4-20 going to Oakland.

I've only seen the Sox win once in the last five years...Garland's 6-hit shutout..I think it was a CG but it was awhile ago.

I'm going tonight and tomorrow and while I am SO excited to see Contreras on the mound, I'm scared like a little girl..

Not a religious man, but I'm praying for an outing.

Just don't let Piazza kill us...

ode to veeck
04-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Doesnt matter the Sox have problems every year

:darkclouds:

ode to veeck
04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Getting the Oakland trip out of the way early. Thank God!

They're back in Oakland in August

soxfan13
04-09-2007, 03:29 PM
:darkclouds:

Believe me I am not a dark cloud by any means. Look at my posts. I was simply stating that for some reason it doesnt matter who Oakland trots out there. The Sox have troubles when they travel there. The Sox, 4 wins and 23 losses ,over the last six seasons(in Oakland) isnt being a dark cloud its just stating the facts behind me saying they always have problems there.

soxfanatlanta
04-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Not a religious man, but I'm praying for an outing.

Just don't let Piazza kill us...

Didn't Piazza have an audience with the Pope? :o:

I think they will do better this time around, they won't be tired from the summer heat. I think the weather definitely plays some factor with Oakland's second half successes.

ode to veeck
04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Believe me I am not a dark cloud by any means. Look at my posts. I was simply stating that for some reason it doesnt matter who Oakland trots out there. The Sox have troubles when they travel there. The Sox, 4 wins and 23 losses ,over the last six seasons(in Oakland) isnt being a dark cloud its just stating the facts behind me saying they always have problems there.

Believe me, I've been at most of those games, but it doesn't matter what happened in the past. What matters is what happens when the Sox trot into town this week.

soxfan13
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Believe me, I've been at most of those games, but it doesn't matter what happened in the past. What matters is what happens when the Sox trot into town this week.

ok again I just stated they have problems. before you go to the game look thru my posts on the white sox and point out all my dark cloud comments. You will see you are completely wrong with the dark cloud satement.

JB98
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I just hope this Oakland nonsense hasn't become a mental thing for the players. Let's get a good outing out of Contreras tonight, win this game and put all this talk to rest.

Foulke You
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Here is some more ammo for the dark clouds:

FROM MLB.COM

OAK: RHP Rich Harden, 1-0, 0.00 ERA)
Harden brings a record of 3-1 and a 2.90 ERA in five career outings against the White Sox. He improved his career record to 6-2 in April with his victory against the Mariners.

CHI: RHP Jose Contreras (0-1, 63.00)
Contreras has never fared well against the A's. He brings a 1-3 career record and a 7.61 ERA against Oakland into this start.

Foulke You
04-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Of course, without Frank Thomas, the A's lineup doesn't look nearly as good. Swisher, Chavez, and Piazza can still hurt you if you aren't careful but after seeing the Tribe and Twins lineups, the A's don't scare me that much. Of course, the A's strength is their pitching staff and Harden has given us trouble in the past. Hopefully, Erstad can help us turn the tables on our Oakland Coliseum misfortunes.

Jurr
04-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Weird stuff happens against Oakland, especially IN Oakland.

We've had substantial fog (in Chicago), Buehrle throwing errors, Dye in the infield, blown saves galore, last pitch, game tying homers in the ninth only to lose later, everything.

Oakland is the Achilles' heel of the Sox. A couple of wins would do the Sox some good. I hope Contreras has his stuff together.

Meanwhile, Minnesota's going down early tonight. Whoo hoo!!!!

JB98
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Weird stuff happens against Oakland, especially IN Oakland.

We've had substantial fog (in Chicago), Buehrle throwing errors, Dye in the infield, blown saves galore, last pitch, game tying homers in the ninth only to lose later, everything.

Oakland is the Achilles' heel of the Sox. A couple of wins would do the Sox some good. I hope Contreras has his stuff together.

Meanwhile, Minnesota's going down early tonight. Whoo hoo!!!!

I'll give Ponson three starts before the Twins wise up and release his sorry ass.

HotelWhiteSox
04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't think the A's are that bad to begin with (re: not the same as last year comment). I'm not sure about tonight, but think we can take the series. Either way, it doesn't matter that much, early, non-divison game, even in 05 they swept us, meant nothing

Jurr
04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I don't think the A's are that bad to begin with (re: not the same as last year comment). I'm not sure about tonight, but think we can take the series. Either way, it doesn't matter that much, early, non-divison game, even in 05 they swept us, meant nothing
Yeah, but you don't want to come out of Oakland 2-6. Early holes are easier to climb out of, but they're holes nevertheless. If the Sox can get out of Oakland winning 2 of 3, they've got something good to build on.

White City
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
At least it is our top 3 SPs versus their rotation's 3-5. Allegedly. That has to be an equalizer of some sort, right? RIGHT? I predict a sleepless start to my week, and not just because I'll be staying up to 2 a.m. Eastern tonight!

Arkham
04-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Harden is not the third-best pitcher in the A's rotation. I'm all for positive thinking (and I think we should definitely take the 3rd game. Gaudin might be a problem, as we may not have a book on him yet,) but let's not get crazy here.

...now if I WERE going to be a dark cloud, I'd point out that Contreras' career ERA in Oakland is 10.95...

Whitesox029
04-09-2007, 10:37 PM
I cannot STAND those stupid foghorns the fans use at that stadium...for that reason I don't think I'd ever want to attend a game there.

cnw8052
04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
No kidding. Would someone please shove those horns somewhere if you're at the game!!!!

I cannot STAND those stupid foghorns the fans use at that stadium...for that reason I don't think I'd ever want to attend a game there.

SOX LA Mikey
04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
The only reason I'm not up there is because it's mid- week

But those dorky left field fans with their drums make you feel
like its Cleveland, and don't get me started on the flag waving geeks

gobears1987
04-11-2007, 12:41 AM
The only reason I'm not up there is because it's mid- week

But those dorky left field fans with their drums make you feel
like its Cleveland, and don't get me started on the flag waving geeks
Those geeks are being geeks in an attempt to imitate the team's dumbass GM.

ode to veeck
04-11-2007, 09:54 AM

What friggin' foghorns are you talking about? I've been going to games there for 20 years and even listened for them last night, but no ...