PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys like the new PA announcer ?

ThomesHomie
04-08-2007, 11:48 PM
I went to the first game and noticed the new announcer, I myself feel like he just does not have the voice. If its the same old guy, then this thread is worthless but I doubt it is. I also noticed this guy does the ChicagoBlack Hawks PA, the old white Sox guy use to but for some odd reason they switched as well.

dcb56
04-08-2007, 11:59 PM
I went to the first game and noticed the new announcer, I myself feel like he just does not have the voice. If its the same old guy, then this thread is worthless but I doubt it is. I also noticed this guy does the ChicagoBlack Hawks PA, the old white Sox guy use to but for some odd reason they switched as well.

There was a different announcer for Opening Day as Gene Honda was in Atlanta for the Final Four. There's a thread around here somewhere about it, do a search for GENE HONDA and i'm sure you'll find it without too much trouble.

tebman
04-09-2007, 07:39 AM
There was a different announcer for Opening Day as Gene Honda was in Atlanta for the Final Four. There's a thread around here somewhere about it, do a search for GENE HONDA and i'm sure you'll find it without too much trouble.
The opening day announcer was Tom Shaer, the former WSCR and WMAQ-TV sports guy. He's filled in for Gene Honda before. Does a nice job, but Gene is still the man.

wdelaney72
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Does Tom get the shredded wheat out of his mouth in time for introducing the lineup?

We go through this every season. Gene is king of the PA system.

Whitesox029
04-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Come to think of it, the Sox are probably head and shoulders above everyone else in the league in terms of ballpark personnel in general. Think about it: we have the best organist, Nancy, the best PA guy, and the best groundskeeper in Roger Bossard.

WhiteSox5187
04-09-2007, 09:46 AM
How long has Gene Honda been our PA guy? I remember him doing it when the ballpark opened, but was he at the old ballpark too?

soxfan43
04-09-2007, 10:42 AM
The guy on opening day was brutal. " Paulie Paul Konerko"?? I mean, come on, he's not a rapper.

Dub25
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Gene Honda is the MAN! He also does DePaul games but he splits the duty with the bozo Bears P.A. announcer. When I walk into the Allstate Arena and hear the Bears guy I get very disappointed because I can't stand the: "There's a timeout... where?... on the floor." Save that crap for the Bears game.

soxfanreggie
04-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Gene Honda = the BEST

Baines
04-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Gene Honda is the MAN! He also does DePaul games but he splits the duty with the bozo Bears P.A. announcer. When I walk into the Allstate Arena and hear the Bears guy I get very disappointed because I can't stand the: "There's a timeout... where?... on the floor." Save that crap for the Bears game.

Funny, because Jim Riebandt (sp?) was the DePaul announcer in their heyday...the Mark Aguirre/Clyde Bradshaw/Terry Cummings era. Long before he was doing Bear games, he was announcing the "three...point...play" for the Blue Demons.

In other PA news, I hear Tommy Edwards is back for the Bulls. He was the inspiration for Ray Clay's cartoonish buffoonery. Tommy Edwards is what Ray Clay tried to emulate. Good to hear Tommy is back.

A.T. Money
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Ray Clay was the best Bulls announcer, period.

Reibandt I believe is the main DePaul announcer, and Gene just fills in for him. Jim Reibandt also does the Bears of course, and Gene does the Sox and Blackhawks. You'll also find Gene on WTTW and I believe he was a DJ on 93.9 too at one point.

Not sure if Gene was at the old place...I think so.

nasox
04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Funny, because Jim Riebandt (sp?) was the DePaul announcer in their heyday...the Mark Aguirre/Clyde Bradshaw/Terry Cummings era. Long before he was doing Bear games, he was announcing the "three...point...play" for the Blue Demons.

In other PA news, I hear Tommy Edwards is back for the Bulls. He was the inspiration for Ray Clay's cartoonish buffoonery. Tommy Edwards is what Ray Clay tried to emulate. Good to hear Tommy is back.

Insulting Ray Clay is just idiotic. Ray Clay was the best PA announcer any team has ever had. He is actually the voice of god.

Every time Ray Clay announced a game, he made love with his microphone.

:o:

Fenway
04-10-2007, 09:19 PM

Tommy gave up the Bulls job when he became program director of WODS-Boston.........

For a year he wound up being the PA announcer of the Bruins

WhteSox725
04-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I used to like the Blackhawks PA guy back in the early 90's when they were still in the Chicago Stadium.

Sad
04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
I used to like the Blackhawks PA guy back in the early 90's when they were still in the Chicago Stadium.

wasn't that Harvey Wittenberg(sp?)?

Fenway
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
wasn't that Harvey Wittenberg(sp?)?

It was and before that Red Motlow who used to be "quick"

Hawk goal Hull assist Mikita at 15:22 Hull-Mikita - 15:22

rbeze09
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM
the blackhawks PA guy is also gene honda now