PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Danks deserved a better fate thread

ChiSox14305635
04-08-2007, 03:43 PM
6 innings, 4 hits, 6 K's, and one mistake.

Damn you Santana. :angry:

Dan Mega
04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Danks did pretty well for a 5th starter just coming in to the league. Unfortunetly the Santana factor played in this one. Oh well, get them next time.

ilsox7
04-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Couple of pretty good ballgames this weekend.

Craig Grebeck
04-08-2007, 03:45 PM
I sure am glad we kept BA up and couldn't find a spot for Eduardo Perez!

White_Sock
Our #5 against their #1 and only lost by 2. Not too shabby. Great outing for Danks; that HR wasn't even a bad pitch. Johan owns us.

cheeses_h_rice
Any time our big boppers want to step up this year is fine with me. They spoiled some great pitching by Danks and our 'pen.

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I was a little worried after the first and second inning when it looked like he couldn't get anything other than his fastball over, but he settled down (except for the fourth) and did a damn good job against a good hitting team. If the Sox were facing anyone other than Santana who is by far the best pitcher in baseball, we probably would have won today. If Danks continues to pitch like this, we don't have to worry about the fifth spot. Good job John. Let's go out and get 'em tommorrow.

Cuck_The_Fubs
04-08-2007, 03:47 PM

It wasn't even a mistake. Morneau just had the strength to muscle it out of the park, unfortunately. It was pathetic, however, that the sox could only muster up 1 hit out of Santana. Dye needs to step it up, as well as Thome. They just looked horrid today.

By the way, our bullpen looks pretty good. I'm excited to see what they can do this year.

Thome25
All I know is....we can't possibly keep burning up our bullpen the way we've been.

whitesoxfan
Well, let's win a series in Oakland...

SOXSINCE'70
I'll take an outing like this from Danks every time.

The sad truth is,if you give up 3 runs to Johan Koufax,
you can place an "L" by your name.:angry:

SOXSINCE'70
04-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Johan owns us.

With his ML record now 80-31,he owns a lot of teams.:angry:

PAPChiSox729
04-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Erstad really has been the only guy who has started off hitting well. Everyone else, the middle of the order especially, still hasn't found his swing just yet. I hope Danks just keeps this up as he gets to face new lineups.

oeo
04-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Couple of pretty good ballgames this weekend.

Yeah...although the outcome wasn't great today, I liked what I saw the last few games. They've been pitching...and when we pitch, we win. Too bad Santana had to be on the bump today, but hopefully the good pitching continues into Oakland.

And I'm really excited about Danks; he's a keeper.

ilsox7
04-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah...although the outcome wasn't great today, I liked what I saw the last few games. They've been pitching...and when we pitch, we win. Too bad Santana had to be on the bump today, but hopefully the good pitching continues into Oakland.

Both teams deserved a split this weekend and that's what each team got. I'd say the Sox had a slight advantage b/c we had a chance in the bottom of the 9th today, but both teams played well given the conditions.

BanditJimmy
04-08-2007, 03:54 PM
in 19 games this year versus the Twins, more than likely the Sox will have to face Johan about 5 times. That's one week's pay on a regular job.

I think Greg Walker and the rest of the Sox offense need to donate 1 week's pay to White Sox Charities being that they never show up when Johan pitches. It amazes me that it is the same story every year.

The guy did not have his best stuff today and yet he only allowed 1 hit in 7 innings and struck out about 10 ..... ***!!!

Thome, Dye, & AJ are a complete joke at the plate right now. Iguchi is not too far behind either.

on the bright side, Danks was awesome !!!

spiffie
04-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I sure am glad we kept BA up and couldn't find a spot for Eduardo Perez!
Wow...from saying Brian Anderson got screwed to lamenting that we kept him over Eduardo Perez...that's quite the shift over the span of just one week.

AJ Hellraiser
04-08-2007, 04:03 PM
The instant I saw Dye look up on Morneau's HR I knew it was over... 3 runs is just too much to spot Johan Santana... in a sense, he really is kind of the modern day Sandy Koufax as an earlier post eluded to...

As Hawk loves to say... you are going to win 60 and lose 60, it's what you do with the other 42 that matter... this was one of the 60 we were going to lose as are basically the other 4 games Santana pitches against us

On the bright side, Danks was superb and was far better than expected... I figured between facing Cy Santana, ML debut at U.S. Cellular it might add up to him getting rocked early thus forcing us deep into the bullpen yet again.. that didn't happen and he even kept us "in the game" after the 4th... that's about as good as one could have hoped for today!

Patrick134
04-08-2007, 04:08 PM
You almost have to chalk up a santana start as a loss and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Freddy's one-hitter being a prime example. Great job by Danks, the pitch Moroneu hit wasn't a bad pitch from Danks' persepective, you just tip your cap to the hitter on that one. Or if you're Toriiiiii, you tilt it the other way.

jabrch
04-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Wow...from saying Brian Anderson got screwed to lamenting that we kept him over Eduardo Perez...that's quite the shift over the span of just one week.

Some people have to find SOMETHING to bitch about.

ilsox7
04-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Some people have to find SOMETHING to bitch about.

Exactly. There will always be people who bitch no matter what happens. See the gamethreads. Whining and bitching accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Whatever happened to sitting back and enjoying a ballgame? Bottom line is yesterday and today were good baseball games. Of course we want the Sox to always win, but on days like today, you tip your cap. I'd much rather be tipping my cap to Johan than to Boof. Hopefully the bats heat up in Cali and the pitching stays good.

TheOldRoman
04-08-2007, 04:15 PM

I think you mean "damn you, Sox offense".

Santana wasn't on today. He was the worst I have seen him in a couple of years, and that includes him getting hit pretty good by the Royals and Indians last year). The Sox picked up where they left off last year. I don't care that Santana is the best pitcher in the game. If you let someone get through a season, facing your 5-6 times, and finish with an ERA under 1 against you, you need to rethink things. As happened way too many times last year, a pitcher who didn't have his best stuff dominated the Sox. We don't need to pound Santana, but with the way he pitched today, they should have gotten him for at least two. They couldn't manage even two hits.
Hopefully the Sox can improve against lefties vs. last year. They did decent against lardo on Monday, but today was horrible. There is no reason such a right handed lineup should be terrible against lefties. With the great Greg Walker as hitting coach, I don't know if it will change too much this year.

Danks was really good. He pretty much matched Santana except for the 4th inning. It is encouraging to see him pitch so well his first time out. I only hope for his sake he doesn't go up against many LHP this year, or he won't win too many.

Patrick134
04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I think you mean "damn you, Sox offense".

Santana wasn't on today. He was the worst I have seen him in a couple of years, and that includes him getting hit pretty good by the Royals and Indians last year). The Sox picked up where they left off last year. I don't care that Santana is the best pitcher in the game. If you let someone get through a season, facing your 5-6 times, and finish with an ERA under 1 against you, you need to rethink things. As happened way too many times last year, a pitcher who didn't have his best stuff dominated the Sox. We don't need to pound Santana, but with the way he pitched today, they should have gotten him for at least two. They couldn't manage even two hits.
Hopefully the Sox can improve against lefties vs. last year. They did decent against lardo on Monday, but today was horrible. There is no reason such a right handed lineup should be terrible against lefties. With the great Greg Walker as hitting coach, I don't know if it will change too much this year.

Danks was really good. He pretty much matched Santana except for the 4th inning. It is encouraging to see him pitch so well his first time out. I only hope for his sake he doesn't go up against many LHP this year, or he won't win too many.

Your points about hitting Santana more would hold more water if the rest of the league wasn't equally ineffective against him. Sure he didn't have his best stuff, but he's good enough to dominate without it. Did the Sox hitters help him out a whole lot ? Definitely.

Juice16
04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
in 19 games this year versus the Twins, more than likely the Sox will have to face Johan about 5 times. That's one week's pay on a regular job.

I think Greg Walker and the rest of the Sox offense need to donate 1 week's pay to White Sox Charities being that they never show up when Johan pitches. It amazes me that it is the same story every year.

The guy did not have his best stuff today and yet he only allowed 1 hit in 7 innings and struck out about 10 ..... ***!!!

Thome, Dye, & AJ are a complete joke at the plate right now. Iguchi is not too far behind either.

on the bright side, Danks was awesome !!!

Thank you for bringing this up. This is exactly what I was thinking all through the game. I'm tired of the Sox no showing when Santana and Sabathia pitch. Yes they are good pitchers, but the sox see them 5-6 times a year for how many years now?

Jerko
04-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Problem with this game was the Sox didn't deliver a hit when Santana was walking people left and right. Once the Twins took the lead, Johan mowed us down..... VERY happy with Danks today; his pitches had bite and he had one bad inning after giving up his first hit. I'm confident he'll be ok in the 5th starter slot.

roadrunner
04-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I didn't like the way Ozzie played things in the ninth. After Konerko singles I wish he had pinch run right away. Even though we were down by 2, it was important to get that runner moving. They weren't even holding Konerko on. If BA is in there they have to hold him on or concede second base. As it turned out, BA would have easily gotten to third on Crede's single (he also could've gone into second hard on any double play balls hit in the inning). When Podsenik ran for Crede as the potential tying run second base would have been open. We all know how much of a better position that is. Instead, we've still got Konerko standing on second with Pods on first. That's a huge difference.

We've got Erstad to play first when Konerko is removed for a pinch runner. BA goes into center. It's a natural substitution that Ozzie failed to try and take advantage of.

It seemed as though once Konerko got on, it was homerun or nothing. I would have liked to have that speed aboard and challenge the Twins defense throughout the inning. I'm not saying the Sox would have won with a pinch runner there, just that the Sox would have been in a better position to win.

Danks and bullpen were awesome.

Craig Grebeck
04-08-2007, 04:42 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Hell yes I think he got screwed and deserved to start. BUT, if he is going to rot on the bench and get 1 AB every five games as he has so far, there is absolutely no reason not to keep Perez on the bench. It is not a shift in position, it's common sense.

This is not "just something to bitch about"; we are brutally awful against LHP and our manager and GM don't seem to have a plan. We have a lot of lefties and no one on the bench who can pick up the slack (save Ozuna) when we run into LHP.

*praying for Jose Cruz and Eduardo Perez to make their way onto the 25 man*

cheeses_h_rice
04-08-2007, 04:49 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Hell yes I think he got screwed and deserved to start. BUT, if he is going to rot on the bench and get 1 AB every five games as he has so far, there is absolutely no reason not to keep Perez on the bench. It is not a shift in position, it's common sense.

This is not "just something to bitch about"; we are brutally awful against LHP and our manager and GM don't seem to have a plan. We have a lot of lefties and no one on the bench who can pick up the slack (save Ozuna) when we run into LHP.

*praying for Jose Cruz and Eduardo Perez to make their way onto the 25 man*

The reason is that Erstad has been this team's offensive MVP so far this year, and has been exemplary in the field. Anderson won't get playing time until those things change, for the most part.

MarySwiss
04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3330)

Frankfan4life
04-08-2007, 05:10 PM
I can't decide if Santana was that good or if our hitters were that bad. We have four starters hitting under a buck fifty. You probably didn't need an ace to get to get these guys out today. However, I really liked what I saw in Danks. I hope he gains some confidence from his outing today.

I'm glad to be home. I wish I could have brought a winner home for you Brian26. Your seats were nice as long as we were in the sun but once the shade overtook the seats, it was brutal.

Happy Easter everyone!

jabrch
04-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I can't decide if Santana was that good or if our hitters were that bad.

This Santana guy is good.

ondafarm
04-08-2007, 05:34 PM
If the Sox continue to get pitching like the last three days, they will win a lot of games. Today was one of the forty that you lose in a season.

slobes
04-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Impressive first outing by Danks, but a loss is a loss. Damnit

Jerko
04-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I can't decide if Santana was that good or if our hitters were that bad. We have four starters hitting under a buck fifty. You probably didn't need an ace to get to get these guys out today. However, I really liked what I saw in Danks. I hope he gains some confidence from his outing today.

I'm glad to be home. I wish I could have brought a winner home for you Brian26. Your seats were nice as long as we were in the sun but once the shade overtook the seats, it was brutal.

Happy Easter everyone!

It was like 75% Santana good, 25% Sox hitters bad...... Some guys swung at what looked like AWFUL pitches (Uribe, Dye), but the guy was unhittable after Minny took the lead.......... I agree with you about Danks too. Hope he can keep it up.

Chips
04-08-2007, 05:52 PM
It wasn't even a mistake. Morneau just had the strength to muscle it out of the park, unfortunately. It was pathetic, however, that the sox could only muster up 1 hit out of Santana. Dye needs to step it up, as well as Thome. They just looked horrid today.

By the way, our bullpen looks pretty good. I'm excited to see what they can do this year.

Did you know that Morneau's father is a licensed blimp pilot?

That aside, it was good game to watch. AJ looked pathetic at the plate all game, the bullpen looked good and Danks seems like he will be fine.

jabrch
04-08-2007, 05:57 PM
AJ looked pathetic at the plate all game,

Today is the kind of day that I am missing Toby Hall.

UserNameBlank
04-08-2007, 06:09 PM
It was like 75% Santana good, 25% Sox hitters bad...... Some guys swung at what looked like AWFUL pitches (Uribe, Dye), but the guy was unhittable after Minny took the lead.......... I agree with you about Danks too. Hope he can keep it up.
I agree. I think it is very telling when a guy makes Uribe look like a total fool and then as soon as he exits, Juan homers in his second straight game.

Dye OTOH hasn't looked good at all so far. Hopefully it won't take him long to get hot again.

bluestar
04-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Why does Ozzie even have Thome in the lineup against Santana? Thome can't hit mediocre lefties; he sure isn't going to hit Santana.

I think Santana so plagues the collective consciousness of the Sox now that just knowing he is starting is enough to shut down the offense.

Still, it is hard to feel too down about today's game. I agree with whoever said it was a good weekend of baseball. For once I'm kind of glad I wasn't there in the stands.

Viva Medias B's
04-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I have come to the following conclusion about Johan Santana. He is not a human being. He is a robot that strikes people out.

Despite that one bad inning, if this outing is representative of the kind of starts Danks will give us, it's good.

Frankfan4life
04-08-2007, 06:14 PM
This Santana guy is good.I never said Santana wasn't good. But he wasn't exactly blowing away a hot hitting team. We have a few hitters who are as cold as the weather. Until Thome, Dye, Iguchi and A.J. get hot they deserve some blame for the loss.

jabrch
04-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I never said Santana wasn't good. But he wasn't exactly blowing away a hot hitting team. We have a few hitters who are as cold as the weather. Until Thome, Dye, Iguchi and A.J. get hot they deserve some blame for the loss.

It's hard to tell if a hitter is hot or cold when all you have to look at is 4 games in crappy weather, in particular 2 against Sabathia and Santana.

Santana will make a lot of hitters look very bad. I fail to see how anyone could blame an offense for not being productive against him.

ilsox7
04-08-2007, 06:21 PM
It's hard to tell if a hitter is hot or cold when all you have to look at is 4 games in crappy weather, in particular 2 against Sabathia and Santana.

Santana will make a lot of hitters look very bad. I fail to see how anyone could blame an offense for not being productive against him.

Well said. When you combine very good pitching with horrific weather, you generally get awful hitting.

Chips
04-08-2007, 06:22 PM
This Santana guy is good.

INR and I were sitting in 126 or 127 for the game and some bozos in the crowd were mouthing off with the "Santana Sucks" chants. Some noodle a few rows in front of us makes a similar type comment and INR echoes back with "It'd be nice to see Santana on the Sox after next season" or something to that effect. ****ing dude up front shakes his head no. No? Santana is an awesome ****ing pitcher, ****, I'd give up my iron (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84238) for Santana. This clown up front prefers Zambrano over Santana. Don't get me wrong on Zambrano, that guy is a stud too. But Santana is the better pitcher and to agree with your post, yes, Santana is ****ing good.

Jurr
04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
The problem with Santana is the fact that he's so hard to get a gameplan against. Bleed him for pitches? He'll get up 0-1 and eat you alive if you're taking. Swing first pitch? He'll locate middle in and jam you or locate the outer black and get you to foul it off. Sit dead red on the fastball? He can locate the damn thing too good, and his movement is astounding. Plus, his change can be thrown pitch after pitch for strikes, so it's tough.

It sure as hell doesn't help that the guy knows that Sox roster like the back of his hand.

I'm pretty happy with today's effort, despite the loss. Ozzie kept Danks in there to settle back down and cruise the next couple of innings after the 4th, and that's going to do nothing but help his confidence. We have a legit 5th starter, or so it seems!

This sets the stage for Contreras and Garland. They need to get back to playing their games, and the Sox will be fine. Meanwhile, the Twins have the Yankees to attend to. Hopefully, A-Rod and company will stay hot and deal the Twinkies some losses. Our boys just need to put the Santana mess behind them and take care of business in Oakland.

PKalltheway
04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Good job by Danks today, unfortunately, it was against Santana. Man, that guy is a beast.

Frankfan4life
04-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Santana will make a lot of hitters look very bad. I fail to see how anyone could blame an offense for not being productive against him.Come on, what are you guys saying? I guess the next time we have to face Santana, why bother playing? We may as well concede the game. Geez!!

Railsplitter
04-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Danks suffered that all to familiar curse of the fifth starter: going up against the opponent's ace. come to think of it, how many guys are aces because they go against the other team's fifth starter?

ilsox7
04-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Come on, what are you guys saying? I guess the next time we have to face Santana, why bother playing? We may as well concede the game. Geez!!

Very few, if any, are saying that. Many people just realize that Johan is an excellent pitcher and some days, you have to tip your cap to him b/c he flat-out beat you. Just like the Twins ought to tip their cap to Javy yesterday, we should tip our cap to Johan today. After his "rough" first 2 innings, he was pretty awesome.

WhiteSox5187
04-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Someone said it earlier, but it bears repeating this game today falls in the category of one of the sixty games you are going to lose. I'm sorry but anytime any team faces Santana, they're already underdogs. Santana beats a lot of teams and makes a lot of good hitters look stupid. He does the same to us. Now granted so far Thome, AJ and Dye haven't been doing much for us but that will change. I'm not going to get upset because Johan made our guys look bad. Johan could make the '27 Yankees look bad. Danks had a great outting, but today you have tip your hat and shake your head to Santana. Let's go out there and get 'em tommorrow.

jabrch
04-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Come on, what are you guys saying? I guess the next time we have to face Santana, why bother playing? We may as well concede the game. Geez!!

There is a far cry from admitting we got beat by HANDS DOWN the best pitcher in the game and saying we shouldn't try.

We had chance to get to him in the first two innings - and couldn't - but not for lack of effort. Johan Santana is the best in the game.

Navarro's Talent
04-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Danks was solid on the bump today. I especially liked how he bounced back after giving up the homerun. He really does have a strong mental make-up. Too bad Danks had to go up against Santana for his first ever start, but he's got nothing to feel bad about.

Jurr
04-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Oh, don't get any of us wrong. The guy can be hit. You beat Santana by catching him on a few meat pitches and by keeping Minnesota's bats down. Or, you keep the game tied or within a run and get to the bullpen. You don't beat Santana 8-7.

The Sox have been able to scrape together runs on Santana, but on more than a few occasions the pitching has folded.

Our boys just cannot fall into their old habits of letting Johan get them in between in the next couple of games. A great fastball/change pitcher, much like a knuckleballer, can induce slumps in the next couple of games due to the fact that they get hitters "in between" fastball and offspeed pitch timing. The Sox are notorious for it. They have to be ready for Harden's 4 and 2 seam fastballs - they'll see plenty of both.

jabrch
04-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Oh, don't get any of us wrong. The guy can be hit. You beat Santana by catching him on a few meat pitches and by keeping Minnesota's bats down. Or, you keep the game tied or within a run and get to the bullpen. You don't beat Santana 8-7.

Look at today - one break in the first or the second - and we'd have had a good shot. Or even against Nathan, an often equally difficult challenge as Santana, we were one well timed poke away. But it didn't happen - so I say we celebrate Danks great outing, and Santana's excellence, and we move on to Oakland. Contreras vs Harden could go either way. We should be the favorite in Garland vs Gaudin and Buehrle vs Kennedy.

pearso66
04-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Danks pitched much better than I thought he would, especially if you wipe out the 4th inning. He put us in a great position to win, if we were facing any other pitcher other than Santana.

Another note: Today I passed what appeared to be the "official" WSI tailgating party. I saw the likes of Itsnotrequired, WhiteSoxWilkes, and Chips there (I know there were others, but I only could remember a few of the faces and put them to names). Next time I see it, maybe I'll stop by and introduce myself. I did sit behind Itsnotrequired at the Core of the Core against Oakland last year, but I don't remember if I've ever talked to any of the others or not.

gobears1987
04-08-2007, 07:48 PM
I got back from the game about an hour ago. Danks looked good. To bad Santana shut him down. If we were facing any other pitcher, Danks would've gotten a W.

I really loved what I saw from him, and our pen looked awesome today.

I'm still optimistic even against Oakland. The California weather ought to warm our bats up.

JermaineDye05
04-08-2007, 08:18 PM
If John can get his curveball and change over for strikes he can be very good. I was really impressed from what I saw from him, I liked how he was able to bounce right back after the homerun by Morneau. We've seen many pitchers that dig themselves into a bigger hole after they give up runs, he just kept on moving.

As of now..

White Sox : 2

Rangers : 0

JB98
04-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Why does Ozzie even have Thome in the lineup against Santana? Thome can't hit mediocre lefties; he sure isn't going to hit Santana.

I think Santana so plagues the collective consciousness of the Sox now that just knowing he is starting is enough to shut down the offense.

Still, it is hard to feel too down about today's game. I agree with whoever said it was a good weekend of baseball. For once I'm kind of glad I wasn't there in the stands.

Thome is in the lineup because he MURDERED two pitches off Santana last year. Home runs that went 400-plus feet, one of which won a game for us. True, Thome didn't do **** against Santana today. Neither did anyone else. Why single Thome out?

JB98
04-08-2007, 08:53 PM
I didn't like the way Ozzie played things in the ninth. After Konerko singles I wish he had pinch run right away. Even though we were down by 2, it was important to get that runner moving. They weren't even holding Konerko on. If BA is in there they have to hold him on or concede second base. As it turned out, BA would have easily gotten to third on Crede's single (he also could've gone into second hard on any double play balls hit in the inning). When Podsenik ran for Crede as the potential tying run second base would have been open. We all know how much of a better position that is. Instead, we've still got Konerko standing on second with Pods on first. That's a huge difference.

We've got Erstad to play first when Konerko is removed for a pinch runner. BA goes into center. It's a natural substitution that Ozzie failed to try and take advantage of.

It seemed as though once Konerko got on, it was homerun or nothing. I would have liked to have that speed aboard and challenge the Twins defense throughout the inning. I'm not saying the Sox would have won with a pinch runner there, just that the Sox would have been in a better position to win.

Danks and bullpen were awesome.

Actually, pinch-running for Konerko in that situation would have been a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE move, IMO. What if Thome or Dye had gone deep? Then the game is tied, we go extra innings and one of our best hitters is out of the game. You only pinch-run for Konerko if he represents the TYING RUN. Pinch-running for Konerko in that situation is just a waste of a player. It's not a stolen-base situation. Ozzie managed a good game today. He changed pitchers at the proper time. I liked the move to pinch-run Pods for Crede, because that was the TYING RUN. We just didn't hit enough to get the win today.

balke
04-08-2007, 08:53 PM
I hope Danks takes every challenge so seriously this season. He's gonna have to pitch better than that at times to truly be successful this year. Pitch everyday like today, and he should do great. I hope he doesn't treat games that he doesn't pitch against Santana at home as "easy" or something. He had maybe 2 bad innings, did a lot better than I thought.

Murphy10
04-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Jeeze great job by Danks.

I really thought Southpaw's easter bunny clothing was going to help AJ pull off another win. But I was mistaken.

I am really hoping for a Santana Danks rematch, see who gets the better end next time.

balke
04-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Actually, pinch-running for Konerko in that situation would have been a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE move, IMO. What if Thome or Dye had gone deep? Then the game is tied, we go extra innings and one of our best hitters is out of the game. You only pinch-run for Konerko if he represents the TYING RUN. Pinch-running for Konerko in that situation is just a waste of a player. It's not a stolen-base situation. Ozzie managed a good game today. He changed pitchers at the proper time. I liked the move to pinch-run Pods for Crede, because that was the TYING RUN. We just didn't hit enough to get the win today.

Yeah, I went through the whole argument in my head in that situation and you're right. If the game went extra innings without Konerko, you've weakened your shot at winning. If one more person got on base then you pinch run for that batter in the hopes of bringing everyone home on a double. Otherwise, leave Kong in the game in the hopes he hits a walkoff if the score remains tied in extras.

LongLiveFisk
04-08-2007, 09:31 PM
It sucked that the Sox weren't able to pull this one out but I'm definitely pleased with Danks' first outing and I really hope he can prove to be a reliable starter. Getting the pen some rest is crucial over the long haul.

Now off to Oakland. Hopefully the weather's a little nicer there!

DrGozzie
04-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I was pleased with how we looked today. I had my hopes up at the bottom of the 9th because I always feel that if any team can pull off a last minute comeback, it's the White Sox. So I was hoping we'd pull it off. I had fleeting memories from last summer, July 1st, when AJ hit that homerun to beat the Cubs at Wrigley Field at the top of the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes. O/T - that was my b-day, btw, and what a great, fun day. White Sox beating the Cubs by day, all dressed up and off to the theater for Wicked with my (very accommodating) husband by night. Good times. But I was hoping AJ would be our clutch hitter. For people who grew up in the Chicago vicinity - remember that cartoon Clutch Cargo (and his pals Spinner and Paddlefoot)? I always thought "Cargo" would be a great nickname for Crede because he's always coming through in clutch situations. Bottom line, it was a good, enjoyable game. Nice job by Danks.

viagracat
04-08-2007, 09:51 PM
All you could hope for--and expect--was for Danks in his first start to not be intimidated and go after the hitters.

He succeeded.

Too bad we lost, but there's no shame in losing to Santana. He's about the best in the game right now.

Britt Burns
04-08-2007, 10:08 PM
This was the first I had ever seen Danks pitch, and I was very impressed. Gio also had a great outing in the minors the other day...

Lukin13
04-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Obviously the cold weather helped the cause, but I don't think it helped the kid throw strikes..... which he succeeded in doing for the most part. That is all I personally am looking for in the '07 5th starter.

ilsox7
04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
This was the first I had ever seen Danks pitch, and I was very impressed. Gio also had a great outing in the minors the other day...

Floyd and Egbert also had good outings in the minors.

PalehosePlanet
04-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Not only did Danks put in a quality start in his debut vs. not only the Twins ace but the league's ace, but he actually gave us a realistic chance to win. You can't ask for anything more --- from him that is.

I thought JD would come through in the bottom of the 9th, but he JUST missed it. Also, as far as Santana goes, we did beat him in a game last year, and we also lost an extra innings game (JD's HR off Nathan in the 9th tied it) so it is possible that we can win a couple of his 5 or so upcoming starts versus us the remainder of the year. Have Faith.

BTW: Today was waaay warmer and more enjoyable than this past Wednesday's game vs. Cleveland.

thedudeabides
04-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Jeeze great job by Danks.

I really thought Southpaw's easter bunny clothing was going to help AJ pull off another win. But I was mistaken.

I am really hoping for a Santana Danks rematch, see who gets the better end next time.

It's funny you bring that up. I was watching the game with my family and we were talking about Southpaw sitting behind the plate in the 9th. We figured that had to be a distraction. :D:

Jurr
04-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Though not related to yesterday's game, I found something funny on the chisox.com page.

Did you see the matchup picture?

Contreras 0-1 63.00 ERA vs.
Harden 1-0 0.00 ERA

It means nothing, but it looks like the mismatch of the century! We all know better, though!

wdelaney72
04-09-2007, 08:02 AM
1. A good pitcher can easily make hitters look "bad". Sanatna falls into this category and may be at the top of the list.
2. Because of his resume, Santana tends to get a generous strike zone. I don't know if that was the case for Sunday's game, but it's happened in te past.

We got beat by one of the best in baseball. It's one loss. I'm ecstatic that Danks kept us in the game... very encouraging, considering how our 1 and 2 started the season.

Time to move on.

Whitesox029
04-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Though certainly a frustrating game to watch, it was nowhere near as frustrating as watching the bullpen blow a lead or watching our starter give up nine runs in the first two innings, for example. I'm not losing any sleep over this one.

The Immigrant
04-09-2007, 09:11 AM
In 34 starts last season, Johan faced 14 different teams. His six losses came against six different teams (the Sox were one of them), meaning that no team beat him more than once. The Sox, Tigers, Indians and Royals put up virtually identical (and equally pathetic) numbers against him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6441/splits;_ylt=A0WTeRJbRxpGTS8AYguFCLcF?year=2006&type=Pitching

russ99
04-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I had a great time at the park, though it was a bit cold, but moving to a sun-drenched seat halfway through helped a lot.

Danks had a great outing, except for his one mistake. Hopefully he'll build on this next start. Too bad the Sox couldn't get a run in the first or second before Santana got in his rhythm, it would have made a big difference. Nice rally in the 9th, but Nathan's a great closer and it was asking too much to come back from 2 down.

How are we burning out the bullpen? The team had 2 days off last week, and Aardsma & Sisco hadn't pitched since last Thursday. The bullpen's fine

Thome & Dye do need to step up, but it's early and we can ride a hot streak by them. Hopefully they break out a bit vs. Oakland.

Southpaw in an Easter Bunny costume was hilarious!

soxfan13
04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
All I know is....we can't possibly keep burning up our bullpen the way we've been.

Yeah, 1 day off then 2 quality starts in a row. The bullpen is wasting away:?:

TomBradley72
04-09-2007, 09:39 AM
I think yesterday does reinforce the need for some right handed "pop" off the bench...sending AJ, Thome, and Erstad out there against tough lefties (Santana, Sabathia,Sowers, Robertson, Maroth, etc.) when 1/3rd of our schedule is against the Twins, Indians and Tigers could cause us some problems. If Hall is healthy that should help.

TomBradley72
04-09-2007, 09:41 AM
How are we burning out the bullpen? The team had 2 days off last week, and Aardsma & Sisco hadn't pitched since last Thursday. The bullpen's fine

I agree with your point but Sisco pitched Saturday.

soxfan13
04-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I think yesterday does reinforce the need for some right handed "pop" off the bench...sending AJ, Thome, and Erstad out there against tough lefties (Santana, Sabathia,Sowers, Robertson, Maroth, etc.) when 1/3rd of our schedule is against the Twins, Indians and Tigers could cause us some problems. If Hall is healthy that should help.

In the Sun-Times today it is mentioned that Hall is way ahead of schedule and is going to start with some light throwing this week. Again, an amazing job by Herm:smile:

rightsox
04-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Even with the loss, I'm pretty damn happy about the game. Almost nobody hits well against santana, and keeping the Sox in a damn tough game to win was really the best we could have hoped for from Danks and the bullpen, and he came through like a champ (a few less BBs would have been nice). I hope he gives more of the same the next time around. Sometimes the bats come through and sometimes they don't (and with Santana, more often than not, they don't). Hopefully Jose will be back to his lights-out self and we'll tee off on Harden with a vengeance tonight.

I can't be the only one who misses having Steve Sparks in the AL Central... :(: He was as good a slump-buster for the Sox as I've ever seen.

SBSoxFan
04-09-2007, 11:01 AM
In 34 starts last season, Johan faced 14 different teams. His six losses came against six different teams (the Sox were one of them), meaning that no team beat him more than once. The Sox, Tigers, Indians and Royals put up virtually identical (and equally pathetic) numbers against him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6441/splits;_ylt=A0WTeRJbRxpGTS8AYguFCLcF?year=2006&type=Pitching

Wow. 7-6 on the road, and 1-3 in April last year. Sox blew a chance yesterday.