PDA

View Full Version : randar


Vsahajpal
03-22-2002, 07:05 PM
Know anything about Tim Bittner, 6'2 210 lb LHP out of Marist

or

Andrew Fryson Jr., 6'7 215 lb RHP out of Alabama JC


both seem to be oozing projection


scout lingo rules!

Randar68
03-23-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Know anything about Tim Bittner, 6'2 210 lb LHP out of Marist

or

Andrew Fryson Jr., 6'7 215 lb RHP out of Alabama JC


both seem to be oozing projection


scout lingo rules!


Well, Bittner probably doesn't project as well as Fryson. Bittner is a more experienced pitcher and knows how to get people out. His fastball isn't in the 94 mph range like Fryson, but he just knows how to get people out. He was a 2-way player at Marist, where he played RF and hit pretty well. Now that he is concentrating on pitching, he may blossom further. He seems to have good endurance and is able to keep his pitch count down. He has a solid frame at 6'2" 210 pounds.

Fryson seems to project a bit better, although he is definitely a project. He is built like a power pitcher, and is very solid. From what I hear, he has good stuff, but I understand he has quite a bit of work to do on his mechanics and pitching mentality. Texas originally selected him in the 41st round out of HS in 1999.

Overall, I think these 2 guys are textbook Sox pitchers.
1 is a guy who just knows how to pitch despite otherwise somewhat-average stuff, and the other is a guy with great stuff, but with other limiting qualities (mechanics, control, experience, etc.). The Sox love to take these 2 types of pitchers and make them into major league contributors...

Pretty vague information, but I'm sure we'll hear more about them as they get to full-season ball.

Vsahajpal
03-23-2002, 11:16 PM
gracias

they do seem to draft a lot of power throwers, remains to be seen whether or not the coaching in the organisation is good enough to make them power pitchers, guys like Ginter, Wright, etc. seemingly rely on pure physical ability, as opposed to a Rauch, who's every bit as sound in the mind as he his in the body

Daver
03-23-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
gracias

they do seem to draft a lot of power throwers, remains to be seen whether or not the coaching in the organisation is good enough to make them power pitchers, guys like Ginter, Wright, etc. seemingly rely on pure physical ability, as opposed to a Rauch, who's every bit as sound in the mind as he his in the body

Rauch is not a power pitcher.

kermittheefrog
03-23-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by daver


Rauch is not a power pitcher.

Say what?

Daver
03-24-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog


Say what?

He is not a power pitcher,watch him throw.

Vsahajpal
03-24-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by daver


He is not a power pitcher,watch him throw.

At the risk of being targeted by a shower of arrows...I disagree


During his first 2 seasons in the minors

1.13 K/hit
10.3 K/9 IP

He has three potential plus pitches, mid 90's fastball, 83-85 slider, 79-81 curve, all are knockout pitches.

kermittheefrog
03-24-2002, 12:13 AM
I've seen Rauch throw. He throws hard (Mid-90s; according to John Sickels he works comfortably @ 94) and gets a lot of batters to swing-and-miss on his fastball and breaking balls. If that's not a power pitcher...

Daver
03-24-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I've seen Rauch throw. He throws hard (Mid-90s; according to John Sickels he works comfortably @ 94) and gets a lot of batters to swing-and-miss on his fastball and breaking balls. If that's not a power pitcher...

My point is he doesn't rely on his fastball,as a pure power pitcher will,he can pitch as well as throw hard.Most power pitchers are throwers,not pitchers,ala Randy Johnson.

kermittheefrog
03-24-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by daver


My point is he doesn't rely on his fastball,as a pure power pitcher will,he can pitch as well as throw hard.Most power pitchers are throwers,not pitchers,ala Randy Johnson.

So you wouldn't call a guy like Roger Clemens a power pitcher?

Vsahajpal
03-24-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by daver


My point is he doesn't rely on his fastball,as a pure power pitcher will,he can pitch as well as throw hard.Most power pitchers are throwers,not pitchers,ala Randy Johnson.

That's not the case, power pitching does not simply pertain to the fastball, but instead the entire repertoire. Johnson can hit 88 with his slider, Rauch hits the mid 80's and throws one of the harder curves you'll see in the minors (majors now) at 80 mph, similar to Nick Neugebauer actually.

Daver
03-24-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog


So you wouldn't call a guy like Roger Clemens a power pitcher?

Early in his career,yes,nowadays,no.