PDA

View Full Version : My Lucky Catch of Konerko's Ground Rule Double Today

Brian26
04-07-2007, 07:35 PM
I've been attending baseball games for over 25 years, and today I finally caught a ball from a live game. Konerko's double took one bounce over Cuddyer's head and the right field fence, fell out of the hands of a couple of guys on the top level of the bullpen sports bar, and fell right into my hands on the bottom level. I have to give props to Salty for lending me the ticket last minute to his bash. It was complete luck, as we had been going in and out of the patio area for the entire game because we were trying to stay warm.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1171.jpg

Bruizer
04-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Nice!! :bandance:

Frontman
04-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Hey great job man! Hang onto that, as its something to treasure!

whitesoxwilkes
04-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I've been attending baseball games for over 25 years, and today I finally caught a ball from a live game. Konerko's double took one bounce over Cuddyer's head and the right field fence, fell out of the hands of a couple of guys on the top level of the bullpen sports bar, and fell right into my hands on the bottom level. I have to give props to Salty for lending me the ticket last minute to his bash. It was complete luck, as we had been going in and out of the patio area for the entire game because we were trying to stay warm.

That's a keeper!

Great hands, Brian.

Jerko
04-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Good work Brian26. Grandstand has nice cases if you ever get that way..

SoxandtheCityTee
04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Good for you. Saw you catch it but didn't know it was you.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2007, 08:04 PM

Getting any type of ball is the bomb. I caught an Iguchi foul ball last season in 520 with my 10 month old son sitting in my lap. It is now on a shelf in his room (he is 19 months old now).

MarySwiss
04-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Nice! And nice to know you're on our side in the upcoming softball game!:D:

dakuda
04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Uribe's HR bounced off the steps right next to my seats and went back into the outfield. Darn concrete. The security guy then threw the ball to people along the foul lines. They get plenty of balls during a game.

:angry:

Good for you though. Just thought I would mention this one too.

infohawk
04-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey that's great! Congratulations!!!:gulp:

ILuvThatDuck
04-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Good work. :D:

XplodingScorbord
04-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Jealous! Cheers to you! :gulp:

salty99
04-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Yeah Brian and his cat like quickness got it to it before the mob almost tackled him into the wall. I was frozen in my seat!!! THAT BALL SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE!!!

Brian26
04-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah Brian and his cat like quickness got it to it before the mob almost tackled him into the wall. I was frozen in my seat!!! THAT BALL SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE!!!

As I inspect this ball a little more, I'm almost convinced that your boy Neshek was scuffing it :D:

GlassSox
04-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Outstanding grab! :thumbsup:

esbrechtel
04-07-2007, 09:52 PM
CONGRATS!!!!! :gulp: At first I was mad that the ball bounced over the fence because it kept ozuna from scoring...However, now that I know that a fellow WSIer caught the ball I am ok with it....:bandance:

Tragg
04-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Way to go Brian.

:thumbsup:

LongLiveFisk
04-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Congrats! I've been able to get a couple of foul balls during my life and it's a very cool feeling. :smile:

ilsox7
04-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Is it juiced?

PicktoCLick72
04-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Way to go, dude. There'snothing like catching a ball at a ball game.

jabrch
04-07-2007, 11:13 PM
That's awesome...I've caught two foul balls. The first (from when I was 16) is in my safe - locked away. The second (from 2004) I gave to some kid around me. It's really exciting.

crazyozzie02
04-07-2007, 11:27 PM
yeah congrats. i caught my first one in 2004. it was Willie Harris' b-day and the foul bounced near row 7 and bounced about 20 rows up to where i was standing in the asile waiting for it. i will never forget that moment as long as i live

StillMissOzzie
04-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Outstanding grab! :thumbsup:

Good for you. Saw you catch it but didn't know it was you.

Congratulations!

I got two foul balls from the minor league Kane County Cougars games, but never got one from a MLB game.

SMO
:gulp:

slobes
04-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I've gotten a bunch from the minors and semi pro games as well, but never in the big leagues. That's really sweet, good job.

soxfan13
04-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Getting any type of ball is the bomb. I caught an Iguchi foul ball last season in 520 with my 10 month old son sitting in my lap. It is now on a shelf in his room (he is 19 months old now).

When he is 8, that ball will be a participant in a nice game of lob league with all the neighborhood kids, just like i stupidly did with my Oscar Gamble ball, that had many autographs on it. But hey we needed a ball:tongue:

tick53
04-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Way to go!!:bandance:

Believe It!
04-08-2007, 12:28 PM
WTG

It's a great feeling isn't it?? I haven't been fortunate enough to catch a live game ball, but I did catch 2 BP balls in the same game last year standing in the left field seats. It was one my all time favorite moments spent at the ballpark

Frankfan4life
04-08-2007, 07:14 PM

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1171.jpgHey, Brian, I'm happy for you. If only I could have been so lucky sitting in your seats today. :tongue:

BRDSR
04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Great job, that's exciting!

I have a split season package in the second row of 103. The guy one seat in front of me and one seat to the left caught two home run balls last season. My fiancee went to a game without me and got hit on the head (after it hit a few hands, she wasn't hurt) by a Joe Mauer home run.

I think I'm due.

BeefyD
04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
You should've thrown it back.

Obviously kidding... Good job! Best I've ever gotten was a Frank Thomas foul ball. My buddy who always goes with me has Angel Berroa's HR ball. Always a keepsake, no matter who hits it!

DrGozzie
04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Congrats, that's awesome! Soxfan13, my dad did something similar as a kid (in Joliet for that matter). He had a ball signed by a bunch of the old Yankees (I'll have to ask him which year), and he used it to play ball with his friends.

soxfanreggie
04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Congrats man! Best game I ever had was getting Thomas (MVP) and Drabek (Cy Young) to sign balls in the same game. Thomas hit me with a ball in BP and Drabek threw a wild one while warming up. The usher threatened to make me wear catchers gear during the game to not get hit. Thomas signed it at the next game, and Drabek sign the ball and a couple cards after he realized what had happened. While I had a few bruises, I was happy with the haul! :smile:

Soxfanspcu11
04-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Nice work!

I have been able to get 3 balls during BP, but never a live game ball. My friend did get a live game ball though in a September 2005 vs Cleveland (Sox got murdered in that one). That was actually pretty cool, we left our seats and were just walking around the upper deck because the game was hurting my eyes. We stopped at an entrance way in the upper deck for like 2 seconds, and got one hit right to us, pretty cool.

For me, I caught a line-drive BLAST off the bat of someone on the Detroit Tigers back in June of 2006. And actually, I should have never gotten this one either.

Me and my friend were on our way to our seats and he saw one of his friends down by the Sox bullpen (our seats are in 163, a few sections over). We went down there to talk to him and I was just standing there sippin my beer. I was talking to them and wasn't really paying attention. All of a sudden, I see everyone around me scrambling. I look up, and the ball is coming RIGHT AT ME, like DIRECTLY AT ME. I didn't have to move. I had time to calmly set my beer down, look up and the ball hit me in the left hand, bounced out, hit me in the chest, bounced off my nose and landed SMACK in my right hand. I couldn't believe that I caught it. Everyone around me was like, "That was a hell of a catch". Even the Detroit players out on the field were pointing up to me and giving me the thumbs-up and fist pumps, it was pretty sweet!!!:cool:

The worst though, was during the game last year versus the scrubs. Better known as the AJ/Barrett fight game.

Iguchi's 2nd homerun of the day was hit RIGHT AT ME, yet again. I had to jump a little bit too get it, I timed my jump wrong and jumped too early, the ball went RIGHT THROUGH MY HANDS, like just cut right through. Because I redirected it, it hit a guy behind me in the head, bounced off his dome and went forward, the guy in front of me got the ball. I was soooooooo pissed. I don't know how I missed it!!!:angry:

But God rewarded my effort a month later by letting me get that ball against Detoilet, albeit, a BP ball.