PDA

View Full Version : *Official* **** the Twins 4/7 postgame thread

chisoxmike
04-07-2007, 05:52 PM
:supernana::supernana:

Vazquez looked good, hopefully he keeps it up.

Murphy10
Great win today! Javy was unreal. It was awesome seeing those back to back bunts from erstad and podsednik in the 8th.

Great Job by the pen too. All around great game.

DoItForDanPasqua
Great pitching by the Sox, the Fox announcers hearts are broken.

Evman5
Javy was wonderful, hopefully he can keep it up.

Sox win!

TornLabrum
04-07-2007, 05:53 PM
First game I've been able to watch this year. Great game to watch. Let's hope Javy pitches like this for the entire season!

Jurr
I had a feeling Vazquez was going to show up today. Awesome performance.

Loved seeing what (I hope) will be a theme for the season: get the lead, bridge with the "tall guys", then close with the "big, wide guy"!

Way to go, Sox!

MarySwiss
Damn, I HATE that team! SO NICE to see our guys drop a reality check on them.

JB98
After Wednesday, everyone was bitching about the 8-7 loss being a reminder of 2006. The last two victories have reminded me of 2005. Good pitching. Do what we can to score, even if we our power swings aren't working.

I don't think the Twinkies enjoyed playing outdoors today. Let's get Santana tomorrow and give Danks his first MLB win. I'll be there. Let's go Sox!:supernana:

HotelWhiteSox
We should make it this could for Javy every game. You know he hated it. Came up big though. Nice shutout by the staff, good division win

LongLiveFisk
04-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Awesome! Back to .500 and hopefully never looking back! :thumbsup:

gobears1987
The 2 best things were Javy getting through the 6th and Pods manufacturing a run with only a bunt.

BV2005
Great game by Vasquez. Way to set the tone for the rest of the pitchers.

chisoxmike
Damn, I HATE that team! SO NICE to see our guys drop a reality check on them.

Punto's face when Thorton stuck him out was priceless.

Hendu
04-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Just what we needed. Great job by Javy getting the W and saving the pen.

Welcome back to Earth, Twinkies :D:

DoItForDanPasqua
After the game.....

Thom: Gee Mark, if the Twins had just one more inning they would have won. Their execution is perfect, they are the most fundamentally sound team in baseball history.

Mark: You're right Thom, they are perfect in their perfectness.

Evman5
The Cuddyer base running gaffe also seemed to get Javy a little more pumped up!

sox1970
Great job by Javy.

Takes the pressure off a little for tomorrow's game. Make no mistake, all of the division games are huge. I don't care if it's April 7. This was a good win.

SOXBOY
Great game by Javy reminds of what he did to the Sox back in 2004 when he was a yankee.

kingpin_rcs
04-07-2007, 05:56 PM
I couldn't "see" the game today (thanks a lot Bud!) but according to gameday it was 31 degrees with a 15 mph wind. Brutal! Kudos to anybody who went to the game today!

eastchicagosoxfan
After Wednesday, everyone was bitching about the 8-7 loss being a reminder of 2006. The last two victories have reminded me of 2005. Good pitching. Do what we can to score, even if we our power swings aren't working.

I don't think the Twinkies enjoyed playing outdoors today. Let's get Santana tomorrow and give Danks his first MLB win. I'll be there. Let's go Sox!:supernana:
Exactly. Good pitching, plus timely hitting, is a winning combo.:gulp: :gulp:

MarySwiss
Punto's face when Thorton stuck him out was priceless.

Wish I could've seen it, Mike! He just might be the most annoying player on their entire annoying damn team! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

cheeses_h_rice
04-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Great game by our pitching staff all around, but biggest kudos goes to Javy Vazquez for keeping the piranhas in the kiddie pool. We can't also forget the contributions from Matt Cuddyer's brainfart running play that probably cost the Twins a run, and Reyes' lame pickoff attempt on Pods (hey, Mark Grace: shut your piehole -- Pods' foot touched the plate). Good to see the Sox knocking him some insurance runs so as to not make the 9th too interesting.

Did anyone else want to punch that asshat sitting behind home plate waving his arms as Bobby was trying to close out the game?

MarySwiss
04-07-2007, 05:57 PM
After the game.....

Thom: Gee Mark, if the Twins had just one more inning they would have won. Their execution is perfect, they are the most fundamentally sound team in baseball history.

Mark: You're right Thom, they are perfect in their perfectness.

Please tell me you did not actually hear this.

chisoxmike
04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Wish I could've seen it, Mike! He just might be the most annoying player on their entire annoying damn team! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/images/2007/03/02/7ITurPA5.jpg
"Waaaaaaaa. It's cold, I just stuck out. I want to go back to my dome. Waaaaaaa"

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 06:00 PM

I think its a little over reacting by some. I watched the whole game and thought the two of the were just as complimentary to both teams. I didnt hear any one-sideness

MarySwiss
04-07-2007, 06:01 PM
http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/images/2007/03/02/7ITurPA5.jpg
"Waaaaaaaa. It's cold, I just stuck out. I want to go back to my dome. Waaaaaaa"

And based on that photo, I think he very well might land a role in the Geico cavemen's new TV show!

White_Sock
04-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Great stuff bartender! - I'll take 158 more of em...put it on my tab.
:gulp:X 158

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 06:03 PM

No, but I wouldn't have been surprised. They would not shut up about how sound the Twins are, and after the Sox scored twice in the eighth but left the bases loaded, they made it seem like the Twins were going to win. The Sox had more runs, at that point, than the Twins had hits.

I was waiting for Thom to say something like this: "You know, with Easter being tomorrow, the Twins may rise from the dead like Jesus."

VenturaFan23
04-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Did anyone else want to punch that asshat sitting behind home plate waving his arms as Bobby was trying to close out the game?

YES!! :angry:

nasox
04-07-2007, 06:05 PM
All Javy needs to do is cut down on his walks and he'll go more than 6 2/3.

As far as the Fox crew goes, they were pretty fair. Grace sucks in the booth IMHO. He just sounds stupid and awkward.

GlassSox
04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Javy was absolutely fantastic. It is amazing how good pitching sets up the win. Ozzie even managed today, wow.

DoItForDanPasqua
YES!! :angry:

Same here.

JermaineDye05
For anyone else curious, John Danks will be starting tomorrow against Santana. I for one thought I heard it would be Contreras but it looks as if Ozzie didn't want to skip anyone.

sox1970
04-07-2007, 06:08 PM
As far as the Fox crew goes, they were pretty fair. Grace sucks in the booth IMHO. He just sounds stupid and awkward.

Mark Grace sounds like years of dipping and smoking cigarettes are catching up to him.

I didn't think he sucked, but he really didn't add much.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 06:08 PM
For anyone else curious, John Danks will be starting tomorrow against Santana. I for one thought I heard it would be Contreras but it looks as if Ozzie didn't want to skip anyone.

Good thing they won today.

Vernam
04-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Erstad's great AB in the first inning seemed to set the tone for the game. His bunt in the 8th was sweet, too. I'm starting to really appreciate the guy. Ozzie will probably rest him tomorrow, so poor Anderson's first start of the year will be against Santana . . .

Vazquez had nasty movement (as nearly always) and great location (as is too seldom the case). If he keeps that up, it'll be huge.

If there were any doubts Jenks doesn't need his high-90s heater to get it done, today should erase them. His curve is underrated, even though Cuddyer hit one after Bobby and AJ tripled up on it. Then Bobby made Morneau and Hunter look pretty average to close the game. Time for a :gulp:!

Vernam

sox1970
04-07-2007, 06:09 PM

I'm not furious, but I think it would have been better to push Danks back to Tuesday, to set up Vazquez, Contreras, and Garland in Cleveland next weekend. Division games should always take priority.

russ99
04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Great game by our pitching staff all around, but biggest kudos goes to Javy Vazquez for keeping the piranhas in the kiddie pool. We can't also forget the contributions from Matt Cuddyer's brainfart running play that probably cost the Twins a run, and Reyes' lame pickoff attempt on Pods (hey, Mark Grace: shut your piehole -- Pods' foot touched the plate). Good to see the Sox knocking him some insurance runs so as to not make the 9th too interesting.

Great win by the Sox, good to see Javy kicking butt again and having no hiccups in the 6th. Nice clutch homer by Uribe (getting warm yet, Jose?) and hustle by Pods, along with agressive 3rd-base coaching by Razor Shines. :D:

I wonder if that asshat behind the plate waving his arms (whoever in the Scout Seats who gave his ticket to a Twins fan should seriously lose his seats) is the same doofus who interfered with A.J's foul ball.

Speaking of which, great commentary by Grace, "The fans on the south side don't care about interference.." Ya, know what, Mark.. we do care about interference, and We Dont Care about your witty Bartman stories. Go call Cubs games.

DoItForDanPasqua
If there were any doubts Jenks doesn't need his high-90s heater to get it done, today should erase them. His curve is underrated, even though Cuddyer hit one after Bobby and AJ tripled up on it. Then Bobby made Morneau and Hunter look pretty average to close the game. Time for a :gulp:!

Vernam

I loved the way he mixed up his pitches. Now when other teams watch tapes and read scouting reports on him, they won't know what to expect. I'm really impressed with Jenks thus far.

santo=dorf

Javy isn't really a pitcher who gives up a lot of walks, and that ump was stiff today.

Morneau had no strike zone until the 9th inning.

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
No, but I wouldn't have been surprised. They would not shut up about how sound the Twins are, and after the Sox scored twice in the eighth but left the bases loaded, they made it seem like the Twins were going to win. The Sox had more runs, at that point, than the Twins had hits.

I was waiting for Thom to say something like this: "You know, with Easter being tomorrow, the Twins may rise from the dead like Jesus."

Did you have your special "every media outlet in America hates the White Sox" ear phones on. All they said was the Sox had a chance to put the game completely out of reach and The Sox had given the Twins a break by not putting anymore runs on the board.

russ99
04-07-2007, 06:13 PM
That sucks about Contreras for tomorrow, but I wouldn't mind freezing in the UD to see the Sox slap around Santana and see Danks get his first ML win.

Hopefully. :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
I wonder if that asshat behind the plate waving his arms (whoever in the Scout Seats who gave his ticket to a Twins fan should seriously lose his seats) is the same doofus who interfered with A.J's foul ball.

I don't think so. I think the guy who tried to catch the ball AJ was after was on the 3rd base side of home plate.

Was that really a Twins fan, or just a Sox fan idiot on the phone with one of his friends waving his arms to make sure his really stupid friend back home could see him, even though he was, y'know, SITTING IN THE SIT DIRECTLY BEHIND HOME PLATE.

:rolleyes:

DoItForDanPasqua
Did you have your special "every media outlet in America hates the White Sox" ear phones on. All they said was the Sox had a chance to put the game completely out of reach and The Sox had given the Twins a break by not putting anymore runs on the board.

Perhaps it's my undying hatred of Mark Grace that clouds my opinion.

MarySwiss
Good thing they won today.

Well, hell! So Santana never loses?

PaleHoseGeorge
<normal post-game thread rant>

My God, Vazquez sucks! What the **** are the Sox doing signing this guy to a contract extension? And of course Kenny and Jerry are too damned cheap to pay the money Garcia's new contract would demand, so they trade Freddy and now we're stuck with this piece of **** as our new #4!!!

I hate this ****ing organization, and I've got better things to do than waste my time and money spending it with a bunch of pollyannas like you *******s at White Sox Interactive! So go ahead and ban me!

Now I'm off to beat my dog...

</normal post-game thread rant>

:wink:

gobears1987
04-07-2007, 06:14 PM

To be fair, there was a tight zone today

HomeFish
04-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Woo, we won't go 0-18 against the Twins this year!

palehozenychicty
04-07-2007, 06:17 PM
[quote=nasox;1529796]All Javy needs to do is cut down on his walks and he'll go more than 6 2/3.[quote]

Indeed. Aside from the walks, it sounds like he threw real well. I got the Mets/Bravos game, so I couldn't see the game. Nice win for the Sox.

hose
04-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Javy had it going on today.:bandance:

Jurr
04-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Shouldn't it be pretty damn cold tomorrow night? That weather makes any matchup different. Santana's a great pitcher, but can he overcome frozen fingers? Can the Twins hitters warm up enough to tee off on Danks? Who knows?

cheeses_h_rice
04-07-2007, 06:18 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 06:19 PM

You never know, but he has a 2.11 ERA and .196 BA against, over the past three seasons, when pitching against the Sox. Maybe Danks can come through.

goon
04-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Why did we trade Vazquez instead of Freddy? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

russ99
04-07-2007, 06:20 PM
You never know, but he has a 2.11 ERA and .196 BA against, over the past three seasons, when pitching against the Sox. Maybe Danks can come through.

Yeah, but he's a slow starter. This could be a rare chance for the Sox to get to him, especially with the colder weather.

I just hope Ozzie doesn't use his "Sunday lineup"...

chisoxmike
04-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Wow. You know, I never bought into the whole HomeFish is a dark cloud thing really, but that post right there takes the cake. Nobody said we were going 18-0 against the Twins. But beating them, is ALWAYS enjoyable. Just to wipe their smug, ****-eating smiles off their faces for one day is fun.

russ99
04-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow. You know, I never bought into the whole HomeFish is a dark cloud thing really, but that post right there takes the cake. Nobody said we were going 18-0 against the Twins. But beating them, is ALWAYS enjoyable. Just to wipe there smug, ****-eating smiles off their faces for one day is fun.

Amen bro! Plus what's not to like about that fantastic game today?!? :rolleyes:

I've been waiting all winter for a game like that.

Frankfan4life
Great game!! Javy was hot!!!! This is also the first game I have been able to watch so far. I'm glad the 33,000 fans who showed up in this weather got to see a win.

I'm going to be out there tomorrow. It'll be nice to get a win but that's going to be a tall order with Johan out there and a rookie pitching for the Sox.

DoItForDanPasqua
Wow. You know, I never bought into the whole HomeFish is a dark cloud thing really, but that post right there takes the cake. Nobody said we were going 18-0 against the Twins. But beating them, is ALWAYS enjoyable. Just to wipe there smug, ****-eating smiles off their faces for one day is fun.

22-0 including the ALCS.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Santana was 1-3 last April.

RadioheadRocks
04-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Just what we needed. Great job by Javy getting the W and saving the pen.

Welcome back to Earth, Twinkies :D:

This calls for some Soul II Soul:

"Back to life, back to reality..." :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Perhaps it's my undying hatred of Mark Grace that clouds my opinion.

:smile: I could see that clouding slightly

BanditJimmy
04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Javy today showed me why Kenny was very quick to lock him up for 3 years.

Best stuff on this staff by far!

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 06:38 PM

Yes he did but I will admit after last year, I was very nervous going into the 6th.:redface:

The Dude
04-07-2007, 06:39 PM
:supernana::supernana:

Vazquez looked good, hopefully he keeps it up.

Looked good? What game were you watching?? He was ****ing great!
I love it when you hate Mike!:tongue:

SoxSpeed22
04-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Now that's more like it. Beat them at their own game and get it done right.

chisox77
04-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I throughly enjoyed this game. And considering the weather, I thought the game was very well attended. Way to show up strong, White Sox fans!

By the way, I didn't mind Mark Grace in the booth. I kept thinking to myself that he could easily be Billy Bob Thornton. Or maybe that Billy Bob Thornton could easily play the role of Mark Grace in one of those smarmy baseball movies about an old school, all star player stuck on a bad team.

:cool:

JB98
04-07-2007, 06:44 PM

Can he put it together consistently? That's been the question that has dogged Javy his whole career. A lot of people think I'm a Javy hater because I'm not on the bandwagon. I'll be all aboard if he can win us 18 games this year. He has the stuff to do it. There is absolutely no questioning his stuff. We've seen flashes of brilliance before. Javy was brilliant today. Let's see it again next time out.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Can he put it together consistently? That's been the question that has dogged Javy his whole career. A lot of people think I'm a Javy hater because I'm not on the bandwagon. I'll be all aboard if he can win us 18 games this year. He has the stuff to do it. There is absolutely no questioning his stuff. We've seen flashes of brilliance before. Javy was brilliant today. Let's see it again next time out.

Javy won't be as good as he was today, just like Contreras will be better than he was on opening day. You can't judge by one start.

chisoxmike
04-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Yeah. I completely agree with you on this. Let's see where he is in July. I don't hate Vazquez, I just think he's way overrated...and, now, overpayed.

WSI is a funny place. Opening Day, after the game all I heard was "Eh, Its just one game, one game don't worry about it."

Today, after Vazquez's masterful outing, everybody is abandoning the "one only game" mentality and calling the Vazquez extension "brilliant move by Kenny," "Vazquez is amazing," "You're wrong Mike. HAHAHAH."

Maybe not its not "ha-ha' funny, but defiantly amusing.

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Yeah. I completely agree with you on this. Let's see where he is in July. I don't hate Vazquez, I just think he's way overrated...and, now, overpayed.

WSI is a funny place. Opening Day, after the game all I heard was "Eh, Its just one game, one game don't worry about it.

Today, after Vazquez's masterful outing, everybody is abandoning the "one only game" mentality and calling the Vazquez extension "brilliant move by Kenny," "Vazquez is amazing," "You're wrong Mike. HAHAHAH."

Maybe not "ha-ha' funny, but defiantly amusing.

Do you expect anything less here:wink:

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 06:53 PM

WSI is a funny place. Opening Day, after the game all I heard was "Eh, Its just one game, one game don't worry about it.

Maybe not "ha-ha' funny, but defiantly amusing.

Wait until you see the reaction if Danks does well tomorrow. There will be posts like this: "Danks Hall of Fame induction ceremony, August 2, 2027, at noon, who is going?"

oeo
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM

I didn't see the whole game, but I did see Cuddyer ****ing up at third. That is not fundamentally sound baseball...he wasn't even paying attention to the play. What a ****ing idiot, I hate that guy.

MRM
04-07-2007, 06:55 PM

I've heard a rumor of him losing a game once, but I've yet to see it with my own eyes :D:

JB98
04-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Javy won't be as good as he was today, just like Contreras will be better than he was on opening day. You can't judge by one start.

That's why I'm not making statements like, "I'm glad KW signed Javy to a 3-year extension." I'm thrilled about the outing today, but still wondering about what Javy will give us over the long haul. Just having talent isn't enough. He still has things to prove, IMO.

chisoxmike
Wait until you see the reaction if Danks does well tomorrow. There will be posts like this: "Danks Hall of Fame induction ceremony, August 2, 2027, at noon, who is going?"

...and if he gets bombed...

oeo

'Now' overpaid? He took a damn pay cut.

I said it before the season...Buehrle and Vazquez will be our top pitchers this year.

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 06:58 PM
...and if he gets bombed...

Its only one game he will be fine:D:

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 06:59 PM
...and if he gets bombed...:garcia: and
:darkclouds:

chisoxmike
04-07-2007, 07:00 PM
'Now' overpaid? He took a damn pay cut.

The paycut is for 2008-2010.

He's getting payed $13million this season. For a .500 pitcher, that's a lot.

The Dude
04-07-2007, 07:08 PM

Please Mike, with today's market it is not a lot! Give it a rest. :whiner:

FireMariotti
04-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Good outing by Vazquez. I liked that little smirk he had on his face when he let the first two guys on in the top 7. The crowd started turning on him a little bit and he smiled like he was thinking "Oh here we go again." Thankfully, he got the double play to finish his day.

The bullpen looked real sharp, I guess last night's "cold out" wasn't such a bad thing for anyone.

I thought Brennamen (sp?) and Grace were ok in the booth. They gave the Twins a little love, but they weren't overly annoying about it. Hell, I agree with their assessment of the Twins' fundamental style of play. Good thing the Twins didn't practice what they preach today:D: . Michael Cuddyer, i'm looking at you!

itsnotrequired
04-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Big ups to the Sox, big ups to skottyj242 for the seats behind the visitor's dugout, big ups to pdimas senior for the tailgate, big ups to Wilkes for the pre-game brandy and big ups to Horsemaster Fred for making it to the game.

Sig update time...

anewman35
04-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Shouldn't it be pretty damn cold tomorrow night? That weather makes any matchup different. Santana's a great pitcher, but can he overcome frozen fingers? Can the Twins hitters warm up enough to tee off on Danks? Who knows?

You know it's a day game tomorrow, right?

chisoxmike
04-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Big ups to the Sox, big ups to skottyj242 for the seats behind the visitor's dugout, big ups to pdimas senior for the tailgate, big ups to Wilkes for the pre-game brandy and big ups to Horsemaster Fred for making it to the game.

Sig update time...

Please, please tell me you guys took FULL advantage of this. This is PRIME heckling seating.

whitesoxwilkes
04-07-2007, 07:29 PM

Sig update time...

Big ups to you for sporting ski goggles to a baseball game! :redneck

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 07:29 PM

Sig update time...

Damn that skotty I told him to bring his sign and he refused. I didnt see you guys once while I watched from my sissyfied recliner:D:

Bobbo35
04-07-2007, 07:30 PM
This game was the type of game that the Sox played in 2005. Hopefully this is a jumpstart for the rest of the staff. Great win today!!

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Big ups to you for sporting ski goggles to a baseball game! :redneck

He had those on during the warm game on Thursday :smile:

itsnotrequired
04-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Please, please tell me you guys took FULL advantage of this. This is PRIME heckling seating.

Heckling is for the JV team.

He had those on during the warm game on Thursday :smile:

It is a look for the ages. For truly I am the Man of the Year. Look for it tomorrow as well.

:redneck

DrGozzie
04-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Wow, fun times! What a great game!! I was so happy with the pitching. I thought the announcing was very fair. I think Mark Grace's voice sounds like John-Boy from the Waltons - anybody else hear that? Finally, I can't stop laughing my head off because I never heard the term "asshat" before, and it's cracking me up!! Yeah, that person was annoying.

chisoxwschamps05
04-07-2007, 07:36 PM
This game was the type of game that the Sox played in 2005. Hopefully this is a jumpstart for the rest of the staff. Great win today!!
Exactly. Playing fundamentally sound baseball can win you a lot of games.

oeo
04-07-2007, 07:36 PM

I don't care when it is...he is not "now" getting overpaid. If he's overpaid, he's always been overpaid, it didn't just start today.

Right now, he's 1-0. So don't tell me he's not worth it until he is a .500 pitcher this year. Maybe he was overpaid last year...that doesn't mean he'll be overpaid this year.

robiwho
04-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Sig update time...

The brandy kept me warm...or maybe it was Javy's performance. In any case, I never felt the cold. Now that's what I call a game. :gulp:

Jurr
04-07-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't see any "Pods sucks" posts. Where did they go?

Hopefully, what we have seen the last couple of days is going to be the norm for the Sox. Grind 'em out, boys!

itsnotrequired
04-07-2007, 07:42 PM
The brandy kept me warm...or maybe it was Javy's performance. In any case, I never felt the cold. Now that's what I call a game. :gulp:

I wasn't cold either...but I was dressed for a blizzard.

:cool:

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't see any "Pods sucks" posts. Where did they go?

Hopefully, what we have seen the last couple of days is going to be the norm for the Sox. Grind 'em out, boys!

We would have seen that if the throw (from Reyes?) was good and he was picked off of second.

Frontman
04-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Great game. Javy looked as good as he's been advertised, the 'pen did its job, and OZZIEBALL! Man, to see them work runners over was just awesome.

Only concerns I have is Paulie and Jermaine, as they don't seem to be in stride yet; but I'm sure that will come along.

I told my wife that the Sox need to install a walk in freezer, if its the cold that made Javy so good.

JB98
04-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Great game. Javy looked as good as he's been advertised, the 'pen did its job, and OZZIEBALL! Man, to see them work runners over was just awesome.

Only concerns I have is Paulie and Jermaine, as they don't seem to be in stride yet; but I'm sure that will come along.

I told my wife that the Sox need to install a walk in freezer, if its the cold that made Javy so good.

Paulie had a couple hits today, including an RBI. Jermaine is in a little slump, much like he was in early '05. He'll heat up when the weather does.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Paulie had a couple hits today, including an RBI. Jermaine is in a little slump, much like he was in early '05. He'll heat up when the weather does.

Exactly. Paulie in a slump? He is 4-14 (.286) with a homer, 3 RBI and 3 walks. This is a slow start?

Dye is a notorious slow starter. I'm not sweating it.

SOXSINCE'70
04-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Great pitching by the Sox, the Fox announcers hearts are broken.

As Ozzie might say,"**** them!!":angry: :angry:

dcb56
04-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Got back from the game about 1/2 hour ago and jumped in the shower to warn up, though I'll gladly freeze my tail off anytime to watch the Sox shut out Twins.

Encouraging start to the season for Javy, hopefully he'll be able to keep it going. I'm also glad to see Thornton did not give it up again as well.

Hitmen77
04-07-2007, 08:37 PM

My God, Vazquez sucks! What the **** are the Sox doing signing this guy to a contract extension? And of course Kenny and Jerry are too damned cheap to pay the money Garcia's new contract would demand, so they trade Freddy and now we're stuck with this piece of **** as our new #4!!!

I hate this ****ing organization, and I've got better things to do than waste my time and money spending it with a bunch of pollyannas like you *******s at White Sox Interactive! So go ahead and ban me!

....and don't forget "the Sox signing Erstad was a very stupid move".

Vernam
04-07-2007, 08:45 PM
As Ozzie might say,"**** them!!":angry: :angry:I didn't think the announcers were biased against the Sox, though I sure got confused when Brennaman claimed there's a statue of Mickey Vernon out in front of USCF. :?:

Grace is a stiff.

Vernam

markopat
04-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I really enjoyed watching Jenks close out the game...oh wait...FOX didn't play the game in my market (jag offs).

Looking forward to the WGN game tomorrow!

Go Go SOX!

DickAllen72
04-07-2007, 08:48 PM
We would have seen that if the throw (from Reyes?) was good and he was picked off of second.
Or if the umpire would have called him out at home.

spiffie
04-07-2007, 08:51 PM
The sad thing about games like today is that it lessens the odds of seeing a good "Free Brian Anderson" rant from any of the RDEH's (Rabid Darin Erstad Hater).

Huisj
04-07-2007, 09:08 PM

They were somewhat complimentary to both teams for parts of the game, but Grace really got his Twins rooting on in the 8th after the sox score their runs. To recap that inning, Uribe led off with a homer off a new relief pitcher, and then Podsednik reached on a bad play by that same pitcher, and then scored on a bad pickoff play by that pitcher. Then eventually, the next pitcher, Neshek, walks Dye to load the bases. After he gets Crede to pop out, Grace says something like, "This will be a huge momentum shift in the Twins' favor if he can get out of this jam and go on to the ninth right here only down by three with a chance to win the game."

Momentum shift? Wait, they just gave up 2 runs on bad pitching and fielding, and then they loaded the bases? How does that become a momentum shift when it was a run one game and now was a 3 run game?:?:

XplodingScorbord
04-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Javy looked great. Held my breath through the 6th for luck. It worked, but I almost passed out. Anyone think Grace sounded similar in vocal quality to Bob Davie (former ND coarch and college FB analyst for ESPN)?

Mohoney
04-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I think its a little over reacting by some. I watched the whole game and thought the two of the were just as complimentary to both teams. I didnt hear any one-sideness

I agree with this. I thought that the broadcast was way too hokey, and even bordered on unprofessional at times, but I didn't hear anything even remotely close to ESPN favoritism during the calling of actual plays.

Mohoney
04-07-2007, 09:55 PM
They were somewhat complimentary to both teams for parts of the game, but Grace really got his Twins rooting on in the 8th after the sox score their runs. To recap that inning, Uribe led off with a homer off a new relief pitcher, and then Podsednik reached on a bad play by that same pitcher, and then scored on a bad pickoff play by that pitcher. Then eventually, the next pitcher, Neshek, walks Dye to load the bases. After he gets Crede to pop out, Grace says something like, "This will be a huge momentum shift in the Twins' favor if he can get out of this jam and go on to the ninth right here only down by three with a chance to win the game."

Momentum shift? Wait, they just gave up 2 runs on bad pitching and fielding, and then they loaded the bases? How does that become a momentum shift when it was a run one game and now was a 3 run game?:?:

Grace is looking at it from an ex-player's standpoint, and putting himself in both situations.

He's remembering what it feels like when a team he's facing tacks on 2 insurance runs right before they bring in a nasty closer on a day as cold as this. If those 8th inning runs were 2 out runs, you have no time to regain your composure before you go up there and start hacking in the top of the 9th.

On the flipside, he's also imagining being in the situation that Crede and AJ were in, bases loaded, with a chance to blow a 1-0 game wide open in the 8th. Despite the temperature, both guys made good contact in previous at-bats, especially AJ.

If either guy gets a hit, the game is totally out of reach at 5-0, in these temperatures, against Bobby Jenks. The only glimmer of hope was to stop the bleeding and keep it 3-0.

With the way Vazquez pitched today, the Twins were just staving off the execution anyway. They were just hoping and praying to get to a bullpen guy ASAP.

JB98
04-07-2007, 09:57 PM
The sad thing about games like today is that it lessens the odds of seeing a good "Free Brian Anderson" rant from any of the RDEH's (Rabid Darin Erstad Hater).

I'm sticking with my original prediction. Erstad WILL NOT lose his job for any reason other than injury. He's going to have a real good year for us, haters be damned.

JB98
04-07-2007, 09:58 PM

The real momentum shift came when Vazquez struck Mauer out on three pitches in the third inning. After that, he was in a groove.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I didn't see the whole game, but I did see Cuddyer ****ing up at third. That is not fundamentally sound baseball...he wasn't even paying attention to the play. What a ****ing idiot, I hate that guy.

Indeedy. When I got home from the game I zoomed through the recording to see the highlights, of which one was watching Cuddyer saunter over the plate and then being rudely awakened. Just seconds earlier Thom & Mark were waxing eloquent about how the Twins never beat themselves. Whooops.

johnny bench
04-07-2007, 10:31 PM
This was a hugely encouraging game today. After Javy, four different releif pitchers came in, each throwing 90+ mph strikes. At the same time, it has to be disheartening to the Twinkies to face such consistent quality in the White Sox bullpen.

None of us was happy to see the poor performance of the Sox starting pitchers in games 1 and 2 this season. On the other hand, I dont think that Sox starting pitching staff should feel pressured to have to win their starts by themselves because they will know that they can rely on the strength of the bullpen to close out win opportunities.

Frontman
04-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Just seconds earlier Thom & Mark were waxing eloquent about how the Twins never beat themselves. Whooops.

That moment was great national coverage. Compelling and rich.

That's up there with Joe Morgan's comments about Thome, mere seconds before Jim blasted his first homer in a Sox uniform.

flo-B-flo
04-07-2007, 10:57 PM
..... back to back bunts from erstad and podsednik in the 8th. Right after the Uribe blast. Hopefully this is how the season plays out. A mixture of little ball AND big ball........

Navarro's Talent
04-07-2007, 11:02 PM
It was an awesome game to be at, despite the cold. I was way up there, so the cold was definitely unpleasant. Regardless, Javy did exactly what we needed him to do. He was awesome, and I hope that continues all season long. It was also encouraging to see the bullpen really pitch well. There were a few runners on base here and there, but no one scored. Fantastic.

jabrch
04-07-2007, 11:09 PM

And Pods sucks. And Erstad sucks. And Uribe sucks. And Jenks can't throw fastballs anymore. And Sisco isn't any good. And...

It's funny how all the handwringing from the offseason starts to fade away when we actually watch baseball instead of watching spreadsheets.

jabrch
04-07-2007, 11:11 PM

While four games does not make a season, I am wondering how long it will take for some people to realize that Pods, Erstad and BA will make a very effective OF, and that each of them have things they can contribute as starters that will make this team better.

flo-B-flo
04-07-2007, 11:16 PM
The Cuddyer base running gaffe......... The announcers were fawning about how great Minny's organization was at fundamentals RIGHT before Cuddyer forgot how many outs there were. I rose in preacher like thunder against faux when this happened. Scared the sheepdog and incurred the wrath of the wife.....:smile:

ChiSoxGirl
04-07-2007, 11:36 PM
My inaugural TBGR! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3329)

RadioheadRocks
04-07-2007, 11:44 PM
That moment was great national coverage. Compelling and rich.

That's up there with Joe Morgan's comments about Thome, mere seconds before Jim blasted his first homer in a Sox uniform.

Not to mention McCarver saying "I don't think that taste is there" before Lidge served up the game winning gopher ball to Pods in Game #2.

04-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Not to mention McCarver saying "I don't think that taste is there" before Lidge served up the game winning gopher ball to Pods in Game #2.

I can play that dialog between Buck and McCarver back in my head still like it was yesterday.

Buck: Do you sir believe in the theory that some people said, in regards to Lidge, that he might still have a bad taste in his mouth from the Pujols homerun?

McCarvar: I don't think that taste is there.

Pods: *Crack*

StillMissOzzie
04-08-2007, 01:47 AM

okey dokey

It was great to see Javy breeze past "after the 5th inning" woes that plagued him so much last year. I hope that's all behind him now.
I didn't mind Mark Grace so much, he offered some good 1B insight, like on that one throw that Grace pointed out is where 1B's can get hurt backing up into foul territory to field a throwthat crossed the 1B line.
But there's something about Thom Brennaman's voice (as well as the extra "h" in his name) that just grates on my ear. It's as if he feels he needs to draw out some words for extra dramatic effect, and it bugs me.

SMO
:gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
04-08-2007, 01:55 AM
Brennaman and Joe Buck need to get together to figure out how to pronounce Scotty Pods' last name.

With Brennaman, it's POE-sednik, with Buck it's PODS-sednik and a real emphasis on the 'd'. In reality, I think you pronounce it more like puhd-sednik with a soft 'd' emphasis.

Nellie_Fox
04-08-2007, 02:19 AM
In reality, I think you pronounce it more like puhd-sednik with a soft 'd' emphasis.Actually, I don't think he pronounces the "d" at all, more like "puh-sednik."

oeo
04-08-2007, 02:28 AM
Actually, I don't think he pronounces the "d" at all, more like "puh-sednik."

This is correct.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=152912

WSox597
04-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Vazquez looked great, better than I've seen him pitch. He looked almost unhittable yesterday. Keep it up, Vazquez.

I was one who questioned the extension, but if he continues to pitch as he did yesterday, I'll eat my words gladly.

Good game all the way around, it was a joy to watch. I coud've done with different announcers, those two had the stench of Cubdom all over them.

I hope the game was a sign of things to come. If so, there will be many sportswriters feeling sheepish at their fourth place predictions.

gobears1987
04-08-2007, 07:52 AM

"I don't think that taste is there. Podsednik hits one deep to right centerfield. Back to the wall, and this ball is gone."

itsnotrequired
04-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Actually, I don't think he pronounces the "d" at all, more like "puh-sednik."

Per the Media Guide, it is puh-SED-nick.

Frontman
04-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Vazquez looked great, better than I've seen him pitch. He looked almost unhittable yesterday. Keep it up, Vazquez.

I was one who questioned the extension, but if he continues to pitch as he did yesterday, I'll eat my words gladly.

Sign me up for that meal as well, as I thought "Ok, finally the move that KW screwed up." But no, if we get a few more starts out of Javy as today's, his extension was the right thing to do. I will be honest, I was a nervous wreck throughout the 6th, as every time Javy started his delivery, I figured, "Ok, here's where it gets bad." But he hung in there and pitched a great game.

I thought it was great for Paulie to run the ball over to him after the double play. It came across as "We got your back, Javy."

What a great game.

Frontman
04-08-2007, 08:34 AM
While four games does not make a season, I am wondering how long it will take for some people to realize that Pods, Erstad and BA will make a very effective OF, and that each of them have things they can contribute as starters that will make this team better.

And it will come down to Ozzie and Joey Cora to manage the bench, as well as getting whichever of the 3 into the right game, at the right time.

Jjav829
04-08-2007, 08:49 AM
We have a very nice win against a division rival and half the postgame thread is people bitching about the announcing? What the hell? :?:

Grace and Brenneman did a fine job and were completely unbiased. Hell, they spent half the game praising the Sox fans who showed up even with the cold weather. Anyone who thinks they were somehow biased is simply looking to bitch about the announcers because, God forbid, they had to listen to national announcers rather than the extreme homerism from Hawk and DJ.

Anyway, to the game...

Great performance by Vazquez today. Hopefully we'll continue to see this Vazquez throughout the year, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The season is still very young, but I like the way Uribe looks at the plate thus far.

Let's win today, get over .500 and never look back! :bandance:

Edit: Ok, so I forgot we are facing perhaps the two nastiest pitchers in baseball today and tomorrow. Let's try to stay at .500 and get over the bump against Chad Gaudin. :D:

Craig Grebeck
04-08-2007, 09:42 AM
And Pods sucks. And Erstad sucks. And Uribe sucks. And Jenks can't throw fastballs anymore. And Sisco isn't any good. And...

It's funny how all the handwringing from the offseason starts to fade away when we actually watch baseball instead of watching spreadsheets.
You always find a way to make it stats vs. scouting don't you? It's incredible how condescending you sound.

Listen---it is not handwringing to say that Pods sucks, he does. He is not good and should have been replaced. Scouts would say that, SABR guys would say that.
It is also not handwringing to say that Erstad sucks (more like he has sucked considerably recently). I understand he's had a very good start, I've been impressed with his patience but the guy needs to do it for a little longer before I completely abandon my stance on him and BA. He's been very good because he's doing things right now he's NEVER done before; he's good right now because 1- his OPS is 1.115 2- he's slugging .615 and 3- he's taken 3 BB and has not struck out ONCE. He'll come down to earth (which is in no way an indictment of his play, but he has to regress), but his pitch selection so far has been great. He's also had 2 stolen bags without being caught. I've been impressed and obviously I hope he keeps it up.

Now, I'd be completely alright if there was a platoon between Ozuna/Anderson/Pods/Erstad for Sundays, lefties, whatever. No matter how good Erstad plays, the guy needs some days off because of his history. But, if Erstad keeps it up, I'd be all for Erstad in left and BA in center. But I know that will never happen due to 1- their determination to move Iguchi down, even though he can be a free swinger in the two hole (that's for another rant) and 2- no matter how bad Pods plays, he's starting.

soxfan13
04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
We have a very nice win against a division rival and half the postgame thread is people bitching about the announcing? What the hell? :?:

Grace and Brenneman did a fine job and were completely unbiased. Hell, they spent half the game praising the Sox fans who showed up even with the cold weather. Anyone who thinks they were somehow biased is simply looking to bitch about the announcers because, God forbid, they had to listen to national announcers rather than the extreme homerism from Hawk and DJ.

Anyway, to the game...

Great performance by Vazquez today. Hopefully we'll continue to see this Vazquez throughout the year, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The season is still very young, but I like the way Uribe looks at the plate thus far.

Let's win today, get over .500 and never look back! :bandance:

Edit: Ok, so I forgot we are facing perhaps the two nastiest pitchers in baseball today and tomorrow. Let's try to stay at .500 and get over the bump against Chad Gaudin. :D:

Perfectly said. I have been trying for a couple of pages:tongue:

MarySwiss
04-08-2007, 09:59 AM
My inaugural TBGR! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3329)

And very nice it is, too! Congrats! :D:

MCHSoxFan
04-08-2007, 10:08 AM

EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! Everybody has said what I was going to say. GREAT PITCHING (Javy & our bullpen), the weather for the Twins, and just enough offense to get the job done!!! GO SOX!!! KEEEEEPPP IT UUPPPPP!!!

IndianWhiteSox
04-08-2007, 10:32 AM
If Javy pitches like this at least 25 more times he will win at least 20 games.

champagne030
04-08-2007, 10:39 AM
If Javy pitches like this at least 25 more times he will win at least 20 games.

You think that if he pitches 6 2/3 innings of one hit ball 25 times he'll win 80% of those games? Way to go out on a limb... :cool:

Now, I'll bet that he won't throw 6 2/3 innings of one hit ball 25 times for the rest of his career.

Madscout
04-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Great win! Let's get one today!

Don't you love how they found a way to talk about the Red Sox/Yankees for an inning in a Twins/Sox game? Oht the creativity never ceases to amaze me!