PDA

View Full Version : Doubleheaders

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
After hearing that the Cleveland/Seattle doubleheader for today was cancelled, my first thought was "tripleheader tomorrow". I looked it up, and it's actually happened before, in 1920 Pittsburgh and Cincinnati played three games in one day.

I further learned that the Sox hold the record for most doubleheader in a season with 44 in 1943 (maybe because it was a war year, and they wanted the season ended early) and that the 1928 Braves played in nine consecutive twin-bills.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_gam2.shtml

It's my understanding that almost every Sunday, teams would play a doubleheader and then be off on Monday: that would be fabulous! I wish they would do that today, I could go for six hours at the ballpark every home Sunday. With the salaries of today, owners are squeezing every dime out of fans and are not going to reinstate regular doubleheaders. Still, they should realize that in six hours guys like me would drink $65 worth of beer. Or at least, they could have every team play a few doubleheaders during the regular season and they could extend the Division Series to seven games, to make up for the revenue, or end the World Series before it gets to be below zero.

TDog
04-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Baseball rules forbid tripleheaders. Baseball rules also define a doubleheader as two games with one admission price. I hate Day-night "doubleheaders" because they exploit the players who have to go to the park as if it were a day game and stay for a night game. The D-N thing doesn't favor fans. It only preserves the gate, which only means something to Cubs fans.

When I was a kid, there seemed to be doubleheaders every Sunday. I even went to a mid-week twi-night doubleheader in August 1969 in Forbes Field. I loved them. When I was in high school and old enough to drive, I had Sunday-plan season tickets with a friend, and there were a lot of doubleheaders.

I loved it, but Harry Caray whined about them on the radio and fans conplained that one game was too long anyway and teams were losing
gates. There are practical reasons that they area history.

Unfortunately, the day-night aberration is not.

Chicken Dinner
04-08-2007, 11:32 AM
When I was a kid, there seemed to be doubleheaders every Sunday. I even went to a mid-week twi-night doubleheader in August 1969 in Forbes Field. I loved them.

That was before free agency and out of control salaries. :?:

The Racehorse
04-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Todays doubleheader has been cancelled... a quadruple-header anyone?

Chicken Dinner
04-08-2007, 11:53 AM
A real doubleheader tomorrow.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/04/indians_doubleheader_postponed.html

PaleHoseGeorge
04-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Sunday doubleheaders are from another place and another time that doesn't exist anymore. It was a family outing date that would take up an entire Sunday for mom, dad, and all the kids, too. Have you seen the routine of the average modern family? Most of them don't even eat dinner together, forget about sharing 5+ hours at the ballpark.

Besides that, any plan that reduces the number of regular season home gates is going to be met with major resistance from both the owners and the players union. If you wanted to LENGTHEN the 162-game schedule by adding doubleheaders, that would be fine because you're adding gate. However the notion that doubleheaders add revenue to MLB's bottom line is a complete non-starter.

Brian26
04-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Still, they should realize that in six hours guys like me would drink $65 worth of beer.

I think they realize that already. However, they also realize they'd be losing an extra 8,000-10,000 cars paying $20 each for parking, in addition to the actual ticket price.