PDA

View Full Version : Laurence Holmes: Total Idiot II

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2007, 10:08 AM
On Saturday mornings this time of year, I used to enjoy the Score on Saturday mornings with "Chicagoland Golf with Phil Kosin" followed by Dave Baum's morning show. But in their infinite wisdom, WSCR management decided to cancel both of them and put Laurence Holmes on the air Saturday mornings. Talk about a dumbing down of Score weekend programming!

Last night at the Bulls game, Ozzie Guillen was in attendance obviously because of last night's Sox game being postponed. Holmes (who evidently was not at the United Center last night because he later said he was watching the Cubs game, by the way) claimed that when Guillen's face was shown on the DiamondVision, he was booed by the Bulls fans in attendance 80-20 against. Of course, it would be easy to surmise that Ozzie was booed because many Bulls fans who attend games at the UC are actually Cub fans. And we know how much Cub fans love Ozzie! A caller claimed that the booing was more 50-50.

Does Holmes claim this? Of course not! He claims that Guillen was booed by Sox fans because of our 1-2 start, the so-called controversial offseason, etc. Once again, Laurence Holmes proves what a complete moron he is. When Ozzie was introduced at Opening Day on Monday, which I attended, I did not hear one boo directed toward him. I was not at Wednesday and Thursday's games, but (unless I missed them) I did not see any reports here about Ozzie being booed by Sox fans.

The last time I went after Holmes, when he claimed the Sox would be so bad that the ballpark would be empty by June, some people responded by defending him. Defenders were generally in agreement with Holmes' assessment of the Sox or defended him because they like him as a Bears reporter. Others agreed with me, with one poster calling Holmes a "pants [going to the restroom] dark cloud."

Holmes also fired some shots at the White Sox for postponing last night's game. What a shock!

I am not saying that Holmes, who claims to be a Sox fan, should suck up to the White Sox. However, I just wish he would be fair. In fact, I think Laurence Holmes likes nothing better than to create controversy. His think with Ozzie at the United Center is a perfect example. People claim he's a great Bears reporter, but I think Holmes really likes nothing better than to create controversy there as well. He seems to be the one that has one of the most adversarial relationships with Lovie Smith among the members of the Chicago media.

HotelWhiteSox
04-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Does Holmes claim this? Of course not! He claims that Guillen was booed by Sox fans because of our 1-2 start, the so-called controversial offseason, etc. Once again, Laurence Holmes proves what a complete moron he is. When Ozzie was introduced at Opening Day on Monday, which I attended, I did not hear one boo directed toward him. I was not at Wednesday and Thursday's games, but (unless I missed them) I did not see any reports here about Ozzie being booed by Sox fans.

Thurs - no booing at all. Usually there is just some second guessing, but most people realize that Ozzie is better than a lot that we have and what we would probably replace him with. At that game though, everyone agreed with his decisions

WhiteSox5187
04-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Gee, who would have thought the Score would put idiots on the air?

To hell with 'em, don't let this stuff bother you. There's a season to be played and come October we'll see who is talking.

Juice16
04-07-2007, 12:05 PM

I did not take it that way. The way I heard it was Holmes was proposing the question, was it all cub fans booing or Sox fans for the reasons you mentioned. Then he asked people to call in with their opinions.

DickAllen72
04-07-2007, 12:19 PM

To hell with 'em, don't let this stuff bother you. There's a season to be played and come October we'll see who is talking.
I didn't hear Holmes talking about this, but from the times I did listen to Homes, yes, he is an idiot. He fits right in with the rest of the Score's idiots like North, Boers, Bernstein, etc. And WMVP isn't much better, especially the horrid Mac, Jurko & Harry.

Being a professional on the air, especially as a sports talk host seems to be a dying art. Dan Jiggets should be a regular on sports-talk radio again. He always conducts himself professionally on Tribune Live.

I long for the days of the original "Sportswriters" show on radio and later TV. Most of sportstalk radio today is just plain trash.

BainesHOF
04-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Who cares about the golf show? The only thing more boring that watching golf is hearing golf talk.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2007, 03:47 PM
I did not take it that way. The way I heard it was Holmes was proposing the question, was it all cub fans booing or Sox fans for the reasons you mentioned. Then he asked people to call in with their opinions.

Holmes claimed it was Sox fans. His co-host, Brian Paruch (?), made the Cub fan claim but Holmes disagreed with him.

RadioheadRocks
04-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Holmes claimed it was Sox fans. His co-host, Brian Paruch (?), made the Cub fan claim but Holmes disagreed with him.

Gee I'd sure love to know what polling method Holmes used to draw that conclusion. :rolleyes:

The Immigrant
04-07-2007, 05:38 PM
He's just a young guy trying to make a name for himself among the Chicago media gasbags, which means that he has to top their gas-baggery. Let's not take him too seriously now.

Bill Naharodny
04-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Holmes is a know-it-all who knows nothing at all. He's condescending, berates people and, oh, is a complete and total suck-up when it comes time to go to Bears training camp. Besides that, he's a quality broadcaster.

SOXBOY
04-07-2007, 07:00 PM
It seems Holmes took his que from Boers and Bernstein. They all think they know everything about sports and if anyone questions them they hang up on them and make fun of the caller.

sox1970
04-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Holmes is a know-it-all who knows nothing at all. He's condescending, berates people and, oh, is a complete and total suck-up when it comes time to go to Bears training camp. Besides that, he's a quality broadcaster.

He tries to be a clone of Dan Bernstein, if you ask me.

Lukin13
04-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Holmes sucks... I heard the show this morning at work. If he didn't honestly believe there were Sox fans booing Ozzie at the Bulls game, then why bring up the topic??? Even if 50% of Bulls fans decided to BOO it would be pretty darn loud. And obviously, at the very least, 50% of the Bulls crowd would be Cubs fans, right? So if there are a bunch of Cubs fans booing Ozzie what is the freaking story??

If he was 50 years old he would be out of a job.

There are plenty of radio personalities I don't like, or don't agree with, but he is just BAD radio. Especially when he tries to talk about anything but Da Bears.

If he is moving up the ladder atthe Score it is because he takes calls. Nothing wrong with that but MAYBE 1% of listeners call, but I am willing to bet that 90% of the people that attend Score gatherings and bother to pass on feedback to management are scoreheads/callers. So it would only make sense that they hosts that take calls would get the majority of the positive feedback. I hope this isn't the only way that Mitch and the suits decide who to put on and when.

Due to my profession I have almost become a fulltime sports radio listener and I went from listening to 100% score maybe 10 years ago to just listening to B&B in the afternoons and whenever I have to work on the weekends (the national channels have crappy weekend programming). To anyone else that is sick of the Score I suggest you get XM Radio, Ironically the national ESPN and Fox shows that do not get broadcasted in Chicago are good and XM just added Kornheiser to their lineup in the mornings. End Shill.

monkeypants
04-08-2007, 12:19 AM
On Saturday mornings this time of year, I used to enjoy the Score on Saturday mornings with "Chicagoland Golf with Phil Kosin" followed by Dave Baum's morning show.

So you're that guy?

BanditJimmy
04-08-2007, 12:44 AM
You guys are beating a dead horse here.

Sports talk hosts and columnists are out there to discuss and create the negative story, this is the only way to gain an audience and ratings.

I though we all should know this by now.

The only time the a$% kissing begins is when you are playing in the post season.

IndianWhiteSox
04-08-2007, 09:17 AM

That's what I was thinking! I mean its the score who cares?

Frontman
04-08-2007, 09:37 AM

That's how I took it. Holmes has a bit of an edge when he throws out questions, that he's slanting it one way or the other. But I honestly think he was just trying to get an early morning conversation going with sportsfans.

As far as removing Baum/Olken; best move the Score has made in years. Those two were bad radio; even for a Saturday morning.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-08-2007, 10:17 AM

ESPN-AM1000 has a new show on Saturday mornings that is apparently about sports AND real estate investing/rehabbing. It's Lou Canellis, Rick Telander and the mortgage guru. (I'm not making this up.)

Yesterday I had it on in the car and Canellis also mentioned Ozzie getting boos from the crowd at the Bulls game Friday night. Telander's explanation was the Sox slow start and sports fans' attitude of what have you done for me lately. I waited for someone with an ounce of sense to point out the obvious -- Cub fans at the Bulls game were booing Ozzie -- but no one did.

Telander used to be a respectable writer. The downward trend is sports media is undeniable as the industry sorts itself out and print journalists scramble to be part of "content" delivered other ways.

Frontman
04-08-2007, 11:09 AM
ESPN-AM1000 has a new show on Saturday mornings that is apparently about sports AND real estate investing/rehabbing. It's Lou Canellis, Rick Telander and the mortgage guru. (I'm not making this up.)

Yesterday I had it on in the car and Canellis also mentioned Ozzie getting boos from the crowd at the Bulls game Friday night. Telander's explanation was the Sox slow start and sports fans' attitude of what have you done for me lately. I waited for someone with an ounce of sense to point out the obvious -- Cub fans at the Bulls game were booing Ozzie -- but no one did.

Telander used to be a respectable writer. The downward trend is sports media is undeniable as the industry sorts itself out and print journalists scramble to be part of "content" delivered other ways.

Wait, I thought Telander didn't want to do radio anymore.

The man's a putz. He's clung to the legend of the 85 Bears so long, he no longer has any idea on how to relate to current sports fans.

Viva Medias B's
04-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Correction: The Score did not cancel "Chicagoland Golf" with Phil Kosin. It was moved to Sunday mornings. Viva Medias B's regrets the error.

CashMan
04-08-2007, 09:35 PM
If he was 50 years old he would be out of a job.

Really!?! Then how does Murph have a job?

Lukin13
04-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Really!?! Then how does Murph have a job?

Maybe because he isn't Murph?

Not that I am a Murph fan or anything... but people love the guy. Murph may get a shorter and shorter show, and could eventually be real late night or weekends only, but I think as long as Murph wants a job he has one at the Score.

I was just trying to nicely say that if Lawrence wasn't "young and hip" in the eyes of score management, he would be a dime a dozen or wouldn't have even gotten an interview. While the majority of listeners are 35-55 year old middle class white guys, that doesn't cover everyone. So it is management's job to make an attempt to appeal to all audiences (which is obviously a good thing). But, that doesn't make Holmes a good talk show host... there has to be better canidates to fill the gig, and that is all I am saying.

thedudeabides
04-08-2007, 11:09 PM
I heard this segment. It was some bad radio. I also heard Homes making the argument that the Sox biggest fan base is in the western suburbs, and that's why the Sox/Bulls academy is in lisle?

What I don't like about him is that he is one of those hosts that cannot take it if you disagree with him. If it's not in line with his thoughts, your an idiot. He fits well on the score.

PalehosePlanet
04-09-2007, 12:06 AM
FWIW Holmes actually is a true die-hard Sox fan. He said that when he got home from doing the overnoght show after we had won the WS that he just crashed on the couch, watched highlights over and over and cried like a baby for hours. He said that he cried for family members of his that had passed on and were not there to see it; and that he eventually brought pennants to all their graves. A "claims to be a Sox fan" type would never do this.

Now does this mean that he is not a nerd who is often off base, or that he doesn't manufacture stupid shows w/negative topics? No, of course not; he is really not that good at his craft. But as far as him watching a Cubs game? it's his job; he should try and know what's going on w/all of the teams.

wdelaney72
04-09-2007, 09:13 AM
I like Laurence Holmes. Besides that, anything that removes golf conversation from radio is a plus for me.