PDA

View Full Version : All right, I need your advice

thomas35forever
04-07-2007, 12:28 AM
My friend offered me to go to the Cubs' home opener with him and I accepted it. I haven't been to a game at the Dump since '03. Since I've never been to the Cubs' home opener either, what should I brace for?

RadioheadRocks
04-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Couldn't tell ya... haven't been there since '86.

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Couldn't tell ya... haven't been there since '86.1963 for me.

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Wear your Sox apparel, even though you may get harrassed by Cub fans for doing it.

AJ Hellraiser
04-07-2007, 03:08 AM
Wear your Sox apparel, even though you may get harrassed by Cub fans for doing it.

I second this opinion.. I usually make it to the toilet bowl once a season (for free of course) and I always wear Sox gear... I used to smile and laugh when fans would say something but since 2005 I just tell them to "win a world series in their lifetime and THEN they can wear their teams jersey in another ballpark and until then SHHHHHHH!"

I've never been to a home opener there but I'd imagine it would be basically the same as other games outside of more festivities beforehand... drunk, obnoxious fans, crappy baseball and a foul stench...other than that, have a blast!

Nellie_Fox
04-07-2007, 03:19 AM
I cannot understand why a Sox fan would want to go to Wrigley. I really can't.

FoxsMightyMite
04-07-2007, 03:21 AM

Like going to a support session for a friend who's a recovering crack addict.

cbotnyse
04-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Wear your Sox apparel, even though you may get harrassed by Cub fans for doing it.why do that? Just go to the game and enjoy watching some baseball, not really caring who wins or loses. I cannot stand when I see Cubs jerseys at the Cell when the Cubs aren't even playing. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Why do the same thing at Wrigley?

Chips
04-07-2007, 03:45 AM
why do that? Just go to the game and enjoy watching some baseball, not really caring who wins or loses. I cannot stand when I see Cubs jerseys at the Cell when the Cubs aren't even playing. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Why do the same thing at Wrigley?

:thumbsup: It's funny to see some Sox fans get pissed off anytime someone is wearing Cubs gear at The Cell but yet the advocatee for Sox fans to wear Sox gear at Wrigley. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :?:

As for the orginial poster, wear this to the game:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4149/l12758229zr1.jpg

Steelrod
04-07-2007, 03:52 AM
My friend offered me to go to the Cubs' home opener with him and I accepted it. I haven't been to a game at the Dump since '03. Since I've never been to the Cubs' home opener either, what should I brace for?
Nausea!

StillMissOzzie
04-07-2007, 04:31 AM
1963 for me.

Either 1981 or 1982 for me, I went to a Cubs home opener where there was snow on the bleachers.

At the time, the choice was...go to work or go to a ball game? My Cubbie hatred was still in it's very early stages. Thoughts of "financing the enemy" never entered my mind.

SMO
:gulp:

SOXBOY
04-07-2007, 08:29 AM
It will be a alot of cubs fans saying "This is the year".

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 08:54 AM

I second this opinion.. I usually make it to the toilet bowl once a season (for free of course) and I always wear Sox gear... I used to smile and laugh when fans would say something but since 2005 I just tell them to "win a world series in their lifetime and THEN they can wear their teams jersey in another ballpark and until then SHHHHHHH!"

I've never been to a home opener there but I'd imagine it would be basically the same as other games outside of more festivities beforehand... drunk, obnoxious fans, crappy baseball and a foul stench...other than that, have a blast!

I think that is so stupid. You people rip on cub fans that wear their **** to a Sox game but its ok for you to go to Wrigley and wear your Sox apparel. Yeah its fine, if the Cubs are playing the Sox but if they are not, you are just advocating stupid behavior that can do nothing but cause trouble.

ILuvThatDuck
04-07-2007, 08:59 AM

Cold weather.

sox1970
04-07-2007, 09:07 AM

Bad food.

Don't wear Sox stuff. If I go to a Sox-Orioles game, and I see a Cubs hat, that guy's an idiot, so don't be one at Wrigley. Go and enjoy a baseball game.

I went to Wrigley for the first time in 10 years last year, because it was a work thing. The place is truly a dump.

TomBradley72
04-07-2007, 09:29 AM

:yup: It would do nothing but irritate me to spend 3 hours with Cub fans in their overrated ballpark. Only one Wrigley game for me (Wsox/Cubs in 1999) since 1990.

SoXPriDe33
04-07-2007, 09:32 AM
I'll be there on Monday (free as well), I'm already prepared for moronic people screaming "This is the year," due to my friends all being cub fans and saying it every day.

DumpJerry
04-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Eat ahead of time. Hit the bathroom before going in. Don't forget your hard hat if you're under the upper deck.

Don't forget your immunization shots ahead of time.

A nose clip is advisable.

Wear an Astros hat.

Throw back any Cubbie home runs you catch.

PaulDrake
04-07-2007, 09:57 AM
I cannot understand why a Sox fan would want to go to Wrigley. I really can't. There was a time, a very long time in fact when I would disagree with you. I no longer do. I would make one exception, that being when the Sox play there.

SoXPriDe33
04-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Eat ahead of time. Hit the bathroom before going in. Don't forget your hard hat if you're under the upper deck.

Wear an Astros hat.

Great Advice!

WizardsofOzzie
04-07-2007, 10:19 AM
I think that is so stupid. You people rip on cub fans that wear their **** to a Sox game but its ok for you to go to Wrigley and wear your Sox apparel. Yeah its fine, if the Cubs are playing the Sox but if they are not, you are just advocating stupid behavior that can do nothing but cause trouble.

:thumbsup: It's funny to see some Sox fans get pissed off anytime someone is wearing Cubs gear at The Cell but yet the advocatee for Sox fans to wear Sox gear at Wrigley. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :?:

As for the orginial poster, wear this to the game:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4149/l12758229zr1.jpg

The difference to me, at least in my eyes is that I don't care if a another fan is there in different gear but it's when they open their mouth that they go over the line. I went to the Cubs finale last year and sported a sox t-shirt, but didn't say a single word about the Sox. No "go white sox", "god this team sucks", etc. When i got hastled I just smiled. Flashback to late last year in a Sox-Tigers game that me and my buddy were at. There was a guy in a Cubs jacket at the game and he appeared to be leaving as we were getting out butt's kicked. My buddy stopped him and said "Hey at least the Bears are doing good, right?" His response? "Yeah, Go Cubs" It's when you open your mouth to start trouble that makes the difference

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2007, 10:27 AM

If a Cub fan wants to come to USCF wearing their Cub apparel, it's his/her right to do so. And I don't defend our fans harrassing them for it either.

areilly
04-07-2007, 12:14 PM

The place is still a dump, and since it's the home opener following the most ridiculous offseason by any team in the history of professional sports, I imagine the "this is the year" optimism will be at an all-time high.

Other than that, enjoy the time with your friend. Ask him about the Cubs, how s/he as a fan thinks they're going to do and why.

Look at cute girls/boys/whatever you're into. There will be no shortage.

Talk shop with others - believe it or not, some Cub fans actually do know a thing or two about the game. You'd be surprised. I know I always am.

Resist the urge to stand up and yell "what the hell is wrong with you people?" It's a futile argument and you're outnumbered anyway. The smart fans won't take the bait and the idiots' answers will only further confuse and enrage.

Don't even think about eating the so-called food they serve at Wrigley, but maybe stop at Bacci before or after the game.

Wear your Sox gear if you must, but heed the sage advice Patrick Swayze gave in Road House: "[Be] nice until it's time to not be nice."

And enjoy the game. Especially if the Astros win.

AJ Hellraiser
04-07-2007, 03:15 PM

I understand what you're saying but there is a slight difference... That being that since winning the World Series Sox fans have every right to be proud of their team and wear the apparel proudly ANYWHERE in the city of Chicago...

Cubs fans have nothing to be proud of and look like fools for wearing it in another ballpark and supporting one of the worst franchises in professional sports history.

I know people will argue that we can't live off 2005 forever, but in CHICAGO and when it comes to a team that is without a championship in nearly 100 years I think we absolutely can until they win it.. Hell, I fully expect that if the Cubs ever win it all their fans (much more of the city) will wear Cubs gear and parade around far more than us Sox fans....

soxfan13
04-07-2007, 07:08 PM
If a Cub fan wants to come to USCF wearing their Cub apparel, it's his/her right to do so. And I don't defend our fans harrassing them for it either.

I understand what you're saying but there is a slight difference... That being that since winning the World Series Sox fans have every right to be proud of their team and wear the apparel proudly ANYWHERE in the city of Chicago...

Cubs fans have nothing to be proud of and look like fools for wearing it in another ballpark and supporting one of the worst franchises in professional sports history.

I know people will argue that we can't live off 2005 forever, but in CHICAGO and when it comes to a team that is without a championship in nearly 100 years I think we absolutely can until they win it.. Hell, I fully expect that if the Cubs ever win it all their fans (much more of the city) will wear Cubs gear and parade around far more than us Sox fans....

Yes it is a persons right to wear whatever you want to the games BUT it is a very touchy thing here in Chicago and all I am saying is you are asking for trouble if you wear Cubs apparel to a Sox game and the Cubs arent playing, also the other way around if you wear Sox apparel to a Cubs game when the Sox arent playing. There are a ton of IDIOTS out there, both Sox and Cubs fans, that will pick fights with these people. So I think you are looking for trouble if you do this. Personally, I dont think its worth it.

getonbckthr
04-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Your going to watch a baseball game whats wrong with that? I've gone to a Brewer-Pirate game in Milwaukee just to go to a game. Its not a big deal unless you make it into a big deal.

jenn2080
04-07-2007, 09:34 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Why? Do you like it when they wear their Cubs stuff at The Cell?

You will make whatever you want out of the game. You seriously do not need anyones advice.

MUsoxfan
04-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Go. Wear neutral colors and don't cheer for either team. Just enjoy the game. Also, don't spend a dime on concessions. Get drunk afterwards

jenn2080
04-07-2007, 09:51 PM

Go. Wear neutral colors and don't cheer for either team. Just enjoy the game. Also, don't spend a dime on concessions. Get drunk afterwards

Def do not eat. Go to Wrigley Dogs on Clark a bit north of Waveland.

esbrechtel
04-07-2007, 11:00 PM
why do that? Just go to the game and enjoy watching some baseball, not really caring who wins or loses. I cannot stand when I see Cubs jerseys at the Cell when the Cubs aren't even playing. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Why do the same thing at Wrigley?
AMEN! cbotnyse you are totally right....If you are a baseball fan just bundle up and enjoy watching the game....Why would you dress in sox gear? What are you trying to prove?

bridgeportcopper
04-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Just do us all one favor for when some of us go to The Urinal for the May Sox-Cubs series........bring a few Glade air fresheners!

IndianWhiteSox
04-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Just do us all one favor for when some of us go to The Urinal for the May Sox-Cubs series........bring a few Glade air fresheners!

I don't think that would even do it, as you probably would have to send Dump to get a bunch of people to help him do his job.

:tongue:

Craig Grebeck
04-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I always make it to a Cub game once a year with friends. Personally, I think Wrigley's a really cool place. Obviously there are aspects of the Cell that are better, but I would never go so far as to say it's a dump. Nothing beats baseball in person.

LongLiveFisk
04-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Go. Wear neutral colors and don't cheer for either team. Just enjoy the game. Also, don't spend a dime on concessions.

This is what I do on the very, very rare occasion that I go there. I haven't been there since 1996.

thomas35forever
04-08-2007, 01:57 PM
I like what I hear. The only problem is that I have a World Champions stocking cap that I'll have to wear to keep warm. It's the only winter hat I wear, so I have no choice. Other than that, I'll follow your advice as best I can.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2007, 03:04 AM
Personally, I think Wrigley's a really cool place.:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
04-09-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't think that would even do it, as you probably would have to send Dump to get a bunch of people to help him do his job.

:tongue:

:?: ? Maybe I don't want to know........

Craig Grebeck
04-09-2007, 09:50 AM
:rolleyes:
Thanks for putting me in my place.

PatK
04-09-2007, 10:42 AM
I'd scalp the tickets to one of the mindless lemmings wandering around Wrigley and watch it from a bar.

minutia
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
The few games I have been too at Wrigley I have worn a Smith-Wesson cap. I would not wear Sox stuff there to their opener. That seems a little like poking the bear.

Mr.1Dog
04-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Put on a wet suit and go Urinal diving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCfmI7gGEwY :rolleyes:

AZChiSoxFan
04-09-2007, 11:53 AM

Wear an Astros hat.

You forgot to mention to take your passport along as well.

04-09-2007, 01:01 PM
When in Rome, do as the Romans do they say....so when in Wrigley just get drunk, talk on your cell, BS with your friend about how great it is to get out of work, look at the eye candy, before you know it it will be the 7th inning stretch, then you can leave! I've been to Wrigley many times, not in the last 6 years since i moved back to the South Side, but it's ML Baseball, enjoy the game...It's actually a little refreshing to go to a game, have it be tied 3-3 in the bottom of the 9th and think to yourself "I can care less who wins" for once!! haha.

soxfan13
04-09-2007, 01:18 PM
When in Rome, do as the Romans do they say....so when in Wrigley just get drunk, talk on your cell, BS with your friend about how great it is to get out of work, look at the eye candy, before you know it it will be the 7th inning stretch, then you can leave! I've been to Wrigley many times, not in the last 6 years since i moved back to the South Side, but it's ML Baseball, enjoy the game...It's actually a little refreshing to go to a game, have it be tied 3-3 in the bottom of the 9th and think to yourself "I can care less who wins" for once!! haha.

I have never seen these things happen at a Sox game during a day game , during the week.

nlentz88
04-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Look, I'm a life-long Sox fan. I get annoyed by idiot Cubs fans who drink the Cubbie Kool-Aid. But whenever I'm at the Cell and see a baseball fan wearing Cubs gear getting harassed by Sox fans, I'm embarrassed. Obviously, if the Cubs fan is getting mouthy with Sox fans, then he's just getting what's coming to him. But more often than not its Sox fans who are the instigators. I have no problem with well behaved Cubs fans wearing Cubs gear to games at the Cell even though their team isn't playing the Sox. Who cares? More money for the Sox, I say.

Also, I wear my Sox gear with pride whenever I go to any baseball game. If I'm watching the Kane County Cougars, I'm wearing a Sox hat. If I'm watching the Reds visiting St. Louis, I'm wearing a Sox hat. If I'm watching the Brewers play in Wrigley, I'm wearing a Sox hat. I'm a Sox fan, and I'm not ashamed to show my support for my favorite team.

Sure, I've been heckled at Wrigley for wearing my Sox gear. But it's usually pretty easy to deflect by making a reference to 2005. But I've never been physically threatened at Wrigley for wearing Sox gear. I just wish I could say the same about the Cell. I've seen too many fights at the Cell between Sox fans and Cub fans. They're an embarrassment to the White Sox organization and its fans.

DumpJerry
04-09-2007, 01:53 PM
It's actually a little refreshing to go to a game, have it be tied 3-3 in the bottom of the 9th and think to yourself "I can care less who wins" for once!! haha.
Truer words have never been written. When I was living in Minnesota I used to go to Twins vs. non-White Sox games for the heck of it. I was at a Twins/Tigers game in 1984 when the Ump blew it like I've never seen before or since (called Kirk Gibson safe at Home in the 10th after the catcher clearly tagged him three, yes three, times before he stepped on the Plate). The Twins fans were acting like The End Is Near (they would have tied the Angels for First in the AL West that night with a win) while I sat there thinking the ump was a chump, but otherwise thankful it was not the White Sox getting screwed.

Of course, 1984 was a special year for the Kitties anyway.

thedudeabides
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM

I couldn't agree more. Just enjoy the game. I go to wrigley almost every year. I enjoy baseball games and will watch one anywhere. Wrigley has its downside, but is an old time historic park that isn't nearly as bad as many make it out to be. I've been to Yankee Stadium and Fenway, just like Wrigley they're old and have problems, but I'm glad I've been to a game at all of these places.

russ99
04-09-2007, 03:21 PM
I got an extra Astros hat for ya...

Go Astros. I hope El Caballo hits 3 out today.

skottyj242
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM

No don't do this. Buy and Astros hat or go neutral. I hate it when they do it at my park so why would I do it there?

jenn2080
04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
No don't do this. Buy and Astros hat or go neutral. I hate it when they do it at my park so why would I do it there?

Like the guy in front of us at the game yesterday who had on everything Cubs, but boxers. :puking:

spiffie
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Eh, to me I don't care if someone comes into the park wearing Cubs gear as long as they don't cause any trouble once they get in. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you're respectful to those around you. Now going into Wrigley wearing Sox stuff and then spending nine innings loudly ripping everything around you would be an ******* move. But wearing a sox hat or jacket and quietly watching the game doesn't strike me as anything to feel bad about.

Uncle_Patrick
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM

I'd go if someone offered me a free ticket or if the Sox were playing, that's about it.

Some friends and I went there last year for the Cubs/Sox game, the one where Buerhle got shelled. Afterward, we were walking out when a female Cubs fan walks up to one of our guys, pats him on the shoulder and says "Too bad about your White Sox today." The guy in question, our friend, was wearing a Cubs hat. We had a good laugh about that one.

jenn2080
04-09-2007, 05:35 PM

I'd go if someone offered me a free ticket or if the Sox were playing, that's about it.

Some friends and I went there last year for the Cubs/Sox game, the one where Buerhle got shelled. Afterward, we were walking out when a female Cubs fan walks up to one of our guys, pats him on the shoulder and says "Too bad about your White Sox today." The guy in question, our friend, was wearing a Cubs hat. We had a good laugh about that one.

I would go if someone offered me a ticket or if it was nice outside and the Sox were on the road. I am not going to root for anyone, just enjoy a nice day at a ballpark and watch some baseball.

SoXPriDe33
04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Well I was there and just got home. Baseball wise it was a good game. I hate to say it but Lou Piniella is going to do good things with that team if he gets talent behind him. The fans are still as dumb as could be. I was in the upper deck and they have TV's up there for those with obstructed views and when they were interviewing Lovie Smith in the booth the guys behind me go "Oh, they have Ronnie Woo-Woo in the booth." They also seemed to care way too much that I had a Sox hat on (my only article of Sox clothing and it was covered by my hood.) That was the extent of my trip.

Pods4455
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
You know, Ive never been to Wrigley (im only 20, but still...).. ive never had any reason to go... then my friend offered me a free ticket to go to a Cubs/Phillies game.. now I'm a phillies fan, and I've got Hamels and McCann on my fantasy team.. so of course I'm going.. and im wearing a Hamel's t-shirt when I go too... my friend said if I did that I could buy my own beer.. haha! Ah well!

I think it's fun going to see other teams play.. I'm a Huge sox fan.. but I like watching other teams and players play as well.. I'd go to Wrigley to see another team play, but certainly not the Cubs.

Even though, I know a lot of the guys (esp the minor leaguers) personally and they are really amazing people... Cliff Floyd's a great guy and so is D.Lee.. but no way will you ever find me going to see them play unless somone gives me a free ticket and they are playing a team I'd like to see play live.

soxfan13
04-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Its called, liking to watch the GAME of baseball. Who cares if it is at Wrigley. I have payed for tickets to the Cubs and would definately go for free.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Its called, liking to watch the GAME of baseball. Who cares if it is at Wrigley. I have payed for tickets to the Cubs and would definately go for free.There are several minor league teams in the Chicago area that could use your support. By attending Cubs games you are helping the White Sox' main competitor for the entertainment dollar, and helping to perpetuate the "fun, sun, beer and ivy" stereotype. IN MY OPINION ONLY such fans are not true Sox fans.

Iwritecode
04-10-2007, 12:47 PM
There are several minor league teams in the Chicago area that could use your support. By attending Cubs games you are helping the White Sox' main competitor for the entertainment dollar, and helping to perpetuate the "fun, sun, beer and ivy" stereotype. IN MY OPINION ONLY such fans are not true Sox fans.

Do you feel the same way about the Sox fans going up to Milwaukee to see the Indians/Angels game? Or is it just because it's the Cubs?

soxfan13
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
There are several minor league teams in the Chicago area that could use your support. By attending Cubs games you are helping the White Sox' main competitor for the entertainment dollar, and helping to perpetuate the "fun, sun, beer and ivy" stereotype. IN MY OPINION ONLY such fans are not true Sox fans.

Yes there are several minor league teams to support and I support the Jackhammers all summer. How am I taking away the, as you called it ,the "entertainment dollar" of the White Sox by going to a game, especially if the White Sox are out of town or if I cant get a ticket to the White Sox? How am I helping perpetuate the "fun, sun, beer and ivy" stereotype if I am going to nite games? If you havent noticed there is sun at the Cell . Fun is also available at the Cell, I didnt think going to a ballgame is such a serious business. Yeah there is beer at the Cell, I almost forgot, there are just as many drunks at both parks. Another thing I dont think you noticed, there is also ivy at the Cell. YES, I said IVY. Seems the White Sox got this kooky idea somewhere that ivy might look good somewhere in the park.(And I think it does look pretty nice).

For you to say, I am not a REAL White Sox fan because I enjoy watching the GAME of baseball is just asinine. I enjoy baseball and will go anywhere to watch it. From what you are saying anybody that doesnt watch the Sox at the Cell arent true fans. What about the great fans of the White Sox that are passionate enough to take road trips to watch our beloved White Sox. Are they *******s for contributing money to our Division rivals or even, god forbid, the Yankees or Red Sox? How much do you spend a year going to the Cell? How many World Seies games were you at? Do you go to the Metrodome when the Sox arent playing the Twins? I can go down a huge list and if you dont answer correctly say that you are not a true fan.

So get off your high horse, Mister the most devout White Sox fan in the world and realize people have different ways of showing their love for their team and the GAME of baseball

skottyj242
04-10-2007, 01:02 PM

I went to 71 home games last year and three Cubs games. IN YOUR OPINION what does that make me? Believe me the White Sox get enough of my "entertainment dollat" as you put it. What if I went to a movie instead of going to the game? That's still "entertainment dollar" isn't it?

jenn2080
04-10-2007, 01:02 PM

Do you feel the same way about the Sox fans going up to Milwaukee to see the Indians/Angels game? Or is it just because it's the Cubs?

Yes there are several minor league teams to support and I support the Jackhammers all summer. How am I taking away the, as you called it ,the "entertainment dollar" of the White Sox by going to a game, especially if the White Sox are out of town or if I cant get a ticket to the White Sox? How am I helping perpetuate the "fun, sun, beer and ivy" stereotype if I am going to nite games? If you havent noticed there is sun at the Cell . Fun is also available at the Cell, I didnt think going to a ballgame is such a serious business. Yeah there is beer at the Cell, I almost forgot, there are just as many drunks at both parks. Another thing I dont think you noticed, there is also ivy at the Cell. YES, I said IVY. Seems the White Sox got this kooky idea somewhere that ivy might look good somewhere in the park.(And I think it does look pretty nice).

For you to say, I am not a REAL White Sox fan because I enjoy watching the GAME of baseball is just asinine. I enjoy baseball and will go anywhere to watch it. From what you are saying anybody that doesnt watch the Sox at the Cell arent true fans. What about the great fans of the White Sox that are passionate enough to take road trips to watch our beloved White Sox. Are they *******s for contributing money to our Division rivals or even, god forbid, the Yankees or Red Sox? How much do you spend a year going to the Cell? How many World Seies games were you at? Do you go to the Metrodome when the Sox arent playing the Twins? I can go down a huge list and if you dont answer correctly say that you are not a true fan.

So get off your high horse, Mister the most devout White Sox fan in the world and realize people have different ways of showing their love for their team and the GAME of baseball

Yeah what he said. I have been to multiple games in other cities when the Sox were not there. I like baseball and seeing other ballparks. Should I not go because that is giving entertainment cash to another team? I give the White Sox PLENTY of my money with my 27 game package, the patio parties that I have, the extra tickets that I buy through out the season, the travelling and the merchandise. I went to 40something home games and 9 road games including Anaheim, Cleveland, Cinci, and Minn. Along with some Cubs games, one Padres game and went to Milwaukee for the Cubs series. I have no problem walking to Wrigley on a nice summers day if the Sox are away, esp. since it is less then a mile from my house. I will have a beer(:o: ) no food of course and enjoy the game. I could care less who wins in any game that does not involve the Sox, but me or any of us going to another stadium does not make us less of a fan, Hangar.

skottyj242
04-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah what he said. I have been to multiple games in other cities when the Sox were not there. I like baseball and seeing other ballparks. Should I not go because that is giving entertainment cash to another team? I give the White Sox PLENTY of my money with my 27 game package, the patio parties that I have, the extra tickets that I buy through out the season, the travelling and the merchandise. I went to 40something home games and 9 road games including Anaheim, Cleveland, Cinci, and Minn. Along with some Cubs games, one Padres game and went to Milwaukee for the Cubs series. I have no problem walking to Wrigley on a nice summers day if the Sox are away, esp. since it is less then a mile from my house. I will have a beer(:o: ) no food of course and enjoy the game. I could care less who wins in any game that does not involve the Sox, but me or any of us going to another stadium does not make us less of a fan Hangar.

So when you go out around you house you're perpetuating "sun, fun, beer." You should move to Bridgeport where the true fans live, just make sure you drive to games, it's rough for a single girl out there.

jenn2080
04-10-2007, 01:10 PM
So when you go out around you house you're perpetuating "sun, fun, beer." You should move to Bridgeport where the true fans live, just make sure you drive to games, it's rough for a single girl out there.

Apartment is on craigslist for sublease right now.

skottyj242
04-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Apartment is on craigslist for sublease right now.

Don't waste your time, just move out now.

pdimas
04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Christ I see Nellie is at it again. I had the same damned argument with him almost word for word last year I believe. Since then to make sure I don't waste my money on any other form of entertainment but the Sox I have resorted to poking dogs behind fences with sticks. I will also harass the occasional telemarketer.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
You guys are the masters of winning straw-man arguments. You are putting words in my mouth and then arguing with those. I only said that the Cubs are the DIRECT competition of the White Sox for baseball in CHICAGO. Period. Nothing about any other form of entertainment, nothing about other cities.

I've lived through not one, but several times when the Sox nearly left Chicago. Don't kid yourself that it won't ever happen again. Supporting the Cubs makes it that much easier for it to happen some time in the future.

soxfan13
04-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Christ I see Nellie is at it again. I had the same damned argument with him almost word for word last year I believe. Since then to make sure I don't waste my money on any other form of entertainment but the Sox I have resorted to poking dogs behind fences with sticks. I will also harass the occasional telemarketer.

Just make sure the sticks you use are Official Chicago White Sox sticks and you are golden :D:

ewokpelts
04-10-2007, 02:34 PM
You guys are the masters of winning straw-man arguments. You are putting words in my mouth and then arguing with those. I only said that the Cubs are the DIRECT competition of the White Sox for baseball in CHICAGO. Period. Nothing about any other form of entertainment, nothing about other cities.

I've lived through not one, but several times when the Sox nearly left Chicago. Don't kid yourself that it won't ever happen again. Supporting the Cubs makes it that much easier for it to happen some time in the future.a recent world series and 3 years of 2 million plus fans makes me doubt that

pdimas
04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
To stop funding the competition I have resigned myself to never buying a Trib paper again and refuse to deal with any cable company that provides CLTV or WGN when I realized that WGN was on regular tv I resorted to watching puppet shows in a cardboard box made to look like a tv.

soxfan13
04-10-2007, 02:51 PM

I've lived through not one, but several times when the Sox nearly left Chicago. Don't kid yourself that it won't ever happen again. Supporting the Cubs makes it that much easier for it to happen some time in the future.

You stated that by going to Cub games you are helping the Sox MAIN competitor for the entertainment dollar in Chicago. Who are the other competitors then? I did not put those words in your mouth. If you live the way you talk then you ARE saying that you can not go to any other ballgames unless they are played at the Cell because if you do you are helping the causes of other teams.

I am sorry I am not old enough to remember the 1969 attempt by Selig to purchase the White Sox and move them to Milwaukee or am I old enough to remember the attempted 1975 attempt to move the Sox to Seattle and Finley moving his A's here. But I do remember the attempt in the 80's and even though I was young I was old enough to realize it was just a big power move to get a new stadium and it worked. So I am not kidding myself. You can go to 1 or 2 Cubs games and not upset the fragile economic make up of the Chicago White Sox

spiffie
04-10-2007, 02:51 PM

I thought the mantra of this site was that the Cubs don't matter and are in no way whatsoever related to the success of the White Sox at all and are certainly not competitors to the White Sox.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2007, 02:55 PM
I thought the mantra of this site was that the Cubs don't matter and are in no way whatsoever related to the success of the White Sox at all and are certainly not competitors to the White Sox.Again, a statement I've never made.

skottyj242
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM

That's what you said. You just said entertainment. Just wondering living in Minn. how much money do you give directly to the team at the gate?

soxfan13
04-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Again, a statement I've never made.

YOU DID SAY THAT!!! You said the Cubs are in direct competition with the White Sox. Go back and reread your posts if you cant remember

TDog
04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I agree with Nellie, even though he probably has me on ignore. I haven't been within 2,000 miles of Chicago in almost four years, but I last visited Wrigley Field in 1973, and I see no reason to visit it ever again.

I don't just go to Sox games. When I lived in Wisconsin, I went to a lot of Brewers games and saw the Schaumburg Flyers play. I plan to go to a game in Oakland tonight and I might go to a Giants game in San Francisco this summer, even though it won't involve the White Sox.

But I won't deal with Wrigley Field.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I thought the mantra of this site was that the Cubs don't matter and are in no way whatsoever related to the success of the White Sox at all and are certainly not competitors to the White Sox.

Again, a statement I've never made.

YOU DID SAY THAT!!! You said the Cubs are in direct competition with the White Sox. Go back and reread your posts if you cant rememberAnd here is why getting into these arguments gives me a headache. I was responding to quote #1 above, which is the exact OPPOSITE of what you are now yelling at me about. I have never said that the Cubs don't matter to the Sox.

I'm done. The only reason I even opened this thread was because the title gave no hint to the topic, and I found people talking about going to Cubs games. If you want to support the Cubs, an activity that I'm absolutely convinced hurts the Sox, you go right on ahead.

No, TDog, you're not on my ignore list. In fact, I recently cleared it completely, and very few have made it back on. I would bet that I'm on more ignore lists than the number of people on mine now.

ewokpelts
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
And here is why getting into these arguments gives me a headache. I was responding to quote #1 above, which is the exact OPPOSITE of what you are now yelling at me about. I have never said that the Cubs don't matter to the Sox.

I'm done. The only reason I even opened this thread was because the title gave no hint to the topic, and I found people talking about going to Cubs games. If you want to support the Cubs, an activity that I'm absolutely convinced hurts the Sox, you go right on ahead.

No, TDog, you're not on my ignore list. In fact, I recently cleared it completely, and very few have made it back on. I would bet that I'm on more ignore lists than the number of people on mine now.
the cubs only drew 300k more fans than the sox last year, and lost the ratings war on tv and radio. i dont think thier presence hurts the sox anymore.

soxfan13
04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
And here is why getting into these arguments gives me a headache. I was responding to quote #1 above, which is the exact OPPOSITE of what you are now yelling at me about. I have never said that the Cubs don't matter to the Sox.

I dont have ignore lists and even if I did you wouldnt be on it, The only real big arguement that I have with you is how you can call someone "not a true Sox fan" if they go to a Cubs game? Also you still didnt answer my questions I asked you so that I can rate you on my "true Sox fan" scale. Since you are so quick to rate other "true Sox" fans.