PDA

View Full Version : Do Players Wear Their Gloves Differently

Bucky F. Dent
04-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Am I crazy, or do players wear their gloves differently these days.

I'm watching the Braves Mets game and the pitcher got tagged on the exposed portion of his glove hand by a come backer.

It seems to me that players used to wear their gloves with their hands deeper into the fingers of the glove, with less of (i.e., none of) their palm exposed, and that they are now wearing their gloves with less of their hand actually in the glove then they used to.

Am I crazy, or have others noticed this?

AaronRowandFan33
04-09-2007, 08:38 PM
weird, i always sorta noticed this too. can't find any photos, but Andruw Jones comes to mind as having more palm showing than looked normal to me.

Vestigio
04-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I've noticed this for a while but I dont know why its done.

Dibbs
04-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I agree....not quite sure why they don't put their hands all the way in the glove these days.

soxfan13
04-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I did notice this year on the new gloves that the index finger on the glove hand, that most players leave out of the glove, has a special slot now.

Huisj
04-10-2007, 09:12 AM
I agree....not quite sure why they don't put their hands all the way in the glove these days.

Must be steroids! Everyone has huge bulging hands that don't fit in the glove!

ND_Sox_Fan
04-10-2007, 09:17 AM
A few reasons for not putting one's hand all the way into the glove:

1) Lose wrist / increased flexibility - with the glove farther down on the hand, one gets top flexibility with the wrist and (especially for an infielder) is able to better field a ground ball (easier to use it like a shovel).

2) Better pocket - the pocket forms deeper and better without the fingers all the way up the slots.

3) Longer reach - yes it might be two inches, but it still counts.

For younger players with less hand strength, it is not as easily done and thus the need to put the hand all the way into the glove to control it.

ondafarm
04-10-2007, 09:39 AM
When I was playing, smaller gloves started coming more into fashion, especially for infielders. I gave a few guys a hard time about their mini gloves and they collectively bought me a catcher's mitt with all the padding taken out which a) would never fit on my hand and b) wouldn't have been worn for a single fastball.

daveeym
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't know why you'd be noticing this on pitchers but ondafarm pretty much sized up the infielders for ya. The trend has been to go small gloved there.

Outfielders on the other hand will put both their pinky and ring finger together in the last slot. This gives the appearance that's being talked about with more palm showing. It does two things for the outfielder. It gives a bit longer reach on the glove and it makes for a "deeper" pocket. That way when they're running down a tough fly when the ball hits the pocket it forces the glove to close rather than having to actually close it on your own.