PDA

View Full Version : Tribe fans are going to be pissed about this one...

JB98
04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
One strike away from an official game and a victory, and the umpires call the game. Serves them right. :cool:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270406105

04-06-2007, 09:22 PM
One strike away from an official game and a victory, and the umpires call the game. Serves them right. :cool:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270406105

Very funny. Paul Byrd was also 1 out away from pitching a abbreviated no-hitter if the game went official.

RadioheadRocks
04-06-2007, 09:37 PM
:rolling:

JB98
04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Very funny. Paul Byrd was also 1 out away from pitching a abbreviated no-hitter if the game went official.

In addition, Martinez strained his quad in this non-game and is listed as day-to-day. Hopefully, that lingers long enough that he won't play next weekend against the Sox. Unlikely, but I can dream.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 10:27 PM
good gawd

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/37/fullj.getty-73394643gs015_seattle_marin_7_40_36_pm.jpg

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/c0/fullj.getty-73394643gs021_seattle_marin_8_16_39_pm.jpg

kobo
04-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Wow.

cws05champ
04-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Great move by Hargrove!! One strike away and he comes out to complain and delay until they call the game when the visibility worsens.

RadioheadRocks
04-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Great move by Hargrove!! One strike away and he comes out to complain and delay until they call the game when the visibility worsens.

Thereby adding to his well-earned nickname of the "Human Rain/Snow Delay"

04-06-2007, 11:14 PM

:neener: :rolling: :neener: :rolling:

That is so classic. He waiting until 1 strike left until it was official and made complaints of things long enough for conditions to worsen.

Top it off too with them forced into a double header for tomorrow.

JB98
04-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Wedge called Martinez's injury "a possible DL situation."

TDog
04-06-2007, 11:38 PM
I was going to mention this in the Sox postponement thread. Because it happened to the Indians, it was hilarious. This is on top of the Indians losing a game on a bases-loaded hit batsman. The CBS Sportsline game blog had Indians fans celebrating a series sweep when Buehrle went down in the second inning.

After those first two games especially, anything bad that happens to the Indians is hilarious.

Vestigio
04-06-2007, 11:48 PM
I heard just on ESPNEWS that Martinez will indeed be placed on the DL. Now nobody should question about games being postponed due cold weather.

04-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I heard just on ESPNEWS that Martinez will indeed be placed on the DL. Now nobody should question about games being postponed due cold weather.

Well that sucks. I'm not as pleased anymore about this game. Noone should lose someone to the DL. They shouldn't have played 1 inning.

CLR01
04-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Players get hurt when its warm too. Other leagues manage to play in the cold without any major problems.

WizardsofOzzie
04-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Hehehehe :bandance:

thomas35forever
04-07-2007, 12:23 AM
'97 World Series anyone?

Fenway
04-07-2007, 12:28 AM
I can't help but thinking of the old intro WGN used on Cubs games :tongue:

It's a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame,
for a ballgame, today.
The fans are out to get a ticket or two
From Walla Walla, Washington to Kalamazoo

It's a beautiful day for a home run
But even a triple's okay
We're gonna cheer
And boo
And raise a hallabaloo
At the ballgame, today!

Viva Medias B's
04-07-2007, 12:54 AM
I can't help but thinking of the old intro WGN used on Cubs games :tongue:

It's a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame,
for a ballgame, today.
The fans are out to get a ticket or two
From Walla Walla, Washington to Kalamazoo

It's a beautiful day for a home run
But even a triple's okay
We're gonna cheer
And boo
And raise a hallabaloo
At the ballgame, today!

I am not sure that song is Cub-specific. Isn't that a more universal baseball song?

TornLabrum
04-07-2007, 01:03 AM
I am not sure that song is Cub-specific. Isn't that a more universal baseball song?

It was a commercial recording by the Harry Simeon Chorale.

DickAllen72
04-07-2007, 02:16 AM
Wedge called Martinez's injury "a possible DL situation."
Good news for Podsednik, anyway. :tongue:

areilly
04-07-2007, 02:32 AM
Four words: God Hates Cleveland Sports.

chisox56
04-07-2007, 02:38 AM
It will be hard to get the doubleheader in also. There is a lake-effect snow advisory and 3-5 inches of snow predicted through the day.

PeteWard
04-07-2007, 02:41 AM
It was a commercial recording by the Harry Simeon Chorale.

Definitely not a Cubs song but WGNy used it as the intro music to Lead-off Man,the pre-game interview show with Jack Outhouse.

There was a truly awful Cubs song from that 1969 era called "Hey Hey, Holy Mackerel".

Chips
04-07-2007, 03:47 AM
I think I was the only person on this site pulling for the Indians today. :o:

Byrd -150 looked like a good bet until Hargrove got his panties in a bunch.

StillMissOzzie
04-07-2007, 04:09 AM
Definitely not a Cubs song but WGNy used it as the intro music to Lead-off Man,the pre-game interview show with Jack Outhouse.

There was a truly awful Cubs song from that 1969 era called "Hey Hey, Holy Mackerel".

Hey now, we'll not have any bad-mouthing of Jack Brickhouse here!

And while "It's a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame" may very well be a regular commercial recording, my brain has hard-wired that tune to be associated with the north siders.
Hell, I can't even listen to Van Halen's "Jump!" without getting reminded of 1984 all over again.

SMO
:gulp:

TornLabrum
04-07-2007, 07:47 AM

I won't criticize "Hey Hey Holy Mackerel" because it was written by jazz violinist Johnny Frigo, whom I saw at the Elkhart Jazz Festival about 4 years ago. He was in his 90s then. A year or so ago he was playing at the Old Eagle banquet room at the Polo Cafe at about 32nd and Morgan.

The lyrics "Hey Hey," "Holy Mackerel," and "No doubt about it" come from three of the pet phrases of the Cubs announcers at the time Jack Brickhouse, Vince Lloyd, and Lou Boudreau.

BTW, Vince Lloyd, Lloyd Pettit, or Jim West did the Lead-Off Man Show. Brickhouse did "Batting Practice" or "Fan in the Stands" in the '50s that preceded "Lead Off Man," and "Tenth Inning" postgame. I can't say anything bad about Brickhouse. His call of a Chico Carresquel home run is one of the main reasons I became a Sox fan.

Steelrod
04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
We won it all in 2005 due to things falling our way, time after time.
It's early, but one could make the point that Cleveland is experiencing just the opposite!

FoxsMightyMite
04-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Player safety is supposed to be the top concern for the umpires. Glad to see them finally make such a call.

CubKilla
04-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Wasn't there a rule change put into effect this season stating that this game will start from where is was postponed when the make-up is announced? All stats and scores count? Not sure but I remember hearing something about such a rule change going into effect this season during a ST game.

Fenway
04-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Wasn't there a rule change put into effect this season stating that this game will start from where is was postponed when the make-up is announced? All stats and scores count? Not sure but I remember hearing something about such a rule change going into effect this season during a ST game.

that only applies to a tie game that has gone more than 5 innings

BRDSR
04-07-2007, 12:32 PM
It will be hard to get the doubleheader in also. There is a lake-effect snow advisory and 3-5 inches of snow predicted through the day.

Per mlb.com, both games have been postponed.

This is pretty good news for the Sox. Cleveland and Seattle will have to find a day that they're both off and play one or two in Cleveland. That's one less off-day for Cleveland down the stretch, and their rotation has already been screwed up by all the postponements.

TDog
04-07-2007, 01:09 PM
We won it all in 2005 due to things falling our way, time after time.
It's early, but one could make the point that Cleveland is experiencing just the opposite!

That's exactly what I was thinking. With today's two games (a day-night doubleheader shouldn't be called a doubleheader) being postponed and the possibility there may be no way to get any games in during what appears to be Seattle's only scheduled trip into Cleveland this year, making up the series would be a hardship, especially if the Indians are contending.

During the first two games at the Cell, things went right for the Indians, and among their fans, there was some online celebration and assumption of a sweet opening sweep in Chicago when Buehrle went down. Things can change in a hurry.

And because it's happening to the Indians, it's hilarious.

MarySwiss
04-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Ordinarily I would not find this particularly funny, but I took a boatload of **** from my Tribe fan friend the first two games, so I'm willing to make an exception. :smile:

IndianWhiteSox
04-08-2007, 09:14 AM
I was going to mention this in the Sox postponement thread. Because it happened to the Indians, it was hilarious. This is on top of the Indians losing a game on a bases-loaded hit batsman. The CBS Sportsline game blog had Indians fans celebrating a series sweep when Buehrle went down in the second inning.

After those first two games especially, anything bad that happens to the Indians is hilarious.

If that's the case then **** them

Frontman
04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Honestly, looking at those photos, they should of called that game well before then, or even cancelled it. I don't blame Indians fans for being POed about it, especially due to the injury.

HotelWhiteSox
04-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Postponed again on Sunday. Doubleheader try on Mon

thomas35forever
04-09-2007, 12:11 AM
A whole weekend of games wiped out. When was the last time that happened?