PDA

View Full Version : 2 RHP in one

StepsInSC
04-06-2007, 06:10 PM
I had always heard the Lumsden stories about throwing lefty and righty in practice, but this guy does in games:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/sports/baseball/06pitcher.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Venditte’s customized Louisville Slugger glove is as distinctive as its owner: four fingers are flanked by two thumbs, perfectly symmetrical, so that he can slip it on either hand with ease. It allows him to change throwing arms so seamlessly during warmups — one second No. 27 is throwing left-handed, the next right-handed — that many unaware fans and opponents do double-takes.

chitownhawkfan
04-06-2007, 06:52 PM
If this guy has major league talent he could be a huge asset. Not only is he versatile, he could eat up innings. In addition having a reliever who is ambidextrous could free up a roster spot. Plus the ticket selling bonus. I hope he materializes in the majors during the next few years.

KRS1
04-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Just to correct the title of this thread. RHP stands for right handed pitcher. Which I guess would mean he has two right arms. "Two RP's(relief pitcher) in one" is what you should have said, as he can be both a RHP and LHP.

slobes
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
It says his dad just taught him to throw with both arms starting at the age of 3. Geez I wish my dad had done that, think of how awesome that would be. I would love to see this guy in the majors--it's a sweet story.

twentywontowin
04-06-2007, 07:27 PM
So, is there any rule about changing your throwing hand in the middle of an AB? And would the same apply for the hitter?

PAPChiSox729
04-06-2007, 08:01 PM
So, is there any rule about changing your throwing hand in the middle of an AB? And would the same apply for the hitter?

I think they said in the article that a pitcher must declare which hand he will throw with before the at bat, and he cannot switch until the at bat is over.

WhiteSox5187
04-06-2007, 08:14 PM
I think they said in the article that a pitcher must declare which hand he will throw with before the at bat, and he cannot switch until the at bat is over.
REALLY? I never heard of that rule but I think that's because there has never been a pitcher that could just switch hands...the batter might have to declare...can anyone else think of a pitcher that could throw with both his right and left hand?

BiggestFan14
04-06-2007, 10:19 PM
can anyone else think of a pitcher that could throw with both his right and left hand?
Aaron Rowand.

That is a cool story though, would be awesome to see him pitch sometime. I wonder how dominate he could be with that kind of talent..

chitownhawkfan
04-07-2007, 02:08 AM
There have been other pitchers who can throw with either arm, even major leaguers. But if the rule about declaring which arm you are going to throw with, wasn't in place the switch hitter and switch pitter could be doing the tango all night trying to get the right matchup. A pitcher can switch but he must decide before the batter gets in as to which way he will pitch.

SBSoxFan
04-07-2007, 09:24 AM
I thought the batter could switch sides up until 2 strikes.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2007, 09:38 AM
In a home game in Omaha last Friday, he allowed only one hit in five and a third shutout innings to earn the victory against Northern Iowa.

Because neither arm was particularly tired afterward, Venditte also pitched in both games of Creighton’s doubleheader against Northern Iowa two days later, retiring the only batter he faced (left-handed) in the first game and then tossing a shutout inning (pitching both ways) in the nightcap.

How awesome would that be? Pitch counts practically become a non-factor!

To build his son’s muscles for baseball, Pat Sr. also taught Little Pat to punt with both legs and throw a football with both arms. “If I’d stuck with it,” he said, “he could have been a QB with both hands.”

Unreal...

Bruizer
04-07-2007, 10:38 AM
I can use either hand to point and click. :tongue:

Bru

StepsInSC
04-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Just to correct the title of this thread. RHP stands for right handed pitcher. Which I guess would mean he has two right arms. "Two RP's(relief pitcher) in one" is what you should have said, as he can be both a RHP and LHP.

Haha yeah...I typed it without thinking.

Iguana775
05-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Saw this article on MLB.com and came here to post it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070518&content_id=1971888&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp

but I see there's already a thread so I'll just add on. :)

05-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Ozzie would love this guy.

JohnTucker0814
05-18-2007, 08:43 PM
So does the manager still make a visit to the mound to bring in the "lefty" for 1 batter?

DSpivack
05-19-2007, 12:08 AM

WWTLRD?

CallMeNuts
05-20-2007, 08:25 PM

I can see Ozzie raising both hands over his head to call him in from the bullpen!

TheOldRoman
05-20-2007, 11:14 PM
This is a nice story, but I don't think he would be that effective at the ML level. Before he comes into a game, he is going to have to warm up with both arms. I don't know how long it takes a pitcher to warm up, but it would take him twice that time. Even harder, he has to stay loose with both arms. Say he comes out for his second inning of work, and faces three straight righties as an RHP. By the time he turns around for the next lefty hitter, it would have been a long time in between pitches with his left hand. I just can't see him being ready with each arm to get out top major league talent.