PDA

View Full Version : Hank Aaron on Barry Bonds

chaerulez
04-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Anyone catch the Sportscenter piece on Hank Aaron in his interview on Barry Bonds? He basically said he doesn't want anything to do with the chase, he won't be present at any of the games when the record is broken, and he doesn't really care one way or the other if the record is broken.

What I gathered from it is basically this. Aaron himself has concluded Bonds is a cheater. Because of this he wants no part of this dog and pony hype show from MLB/ESPN where he pretends that everything is fine with Bonds breaking the record as a cheater. But Aaron himself is above just making a big deal out of it, he knows if he spoke out against it, it wouldn't do anything. Instead he decides to mind his own business and let baseball sort out this mess. I think Aaron is a class act for not playing along with this false home run chase. It would've made a sad event even sadder had Aaron been there to shake Barry's hand after he broke the record as a dirty cheater.

WSox597
04-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Hank Aaron has always struck me as a class act, and this cements the feeling.

Bonds, on the other hand, does not.

I think MLB takes a hit if they honor this guy knowing full well he's dishonest.

TornLabrum
04-06-2007, 08:08 PM
My idea of poetic justice is that when Bonds hits 754, he is indicted on Federal drug charges and Budlight decides to suspend him pending the outcome of the trial. Which reminds me: what the hell ever happened to the Mitchell investigation?

WhiteSox5187
04-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Hank Aaron has always struck me as a class act, and this cements the feeling.

Bonds, on the other hand, does not.

I think MLB takes a hit if they honor this guy knowing full well he's dishonest.
I saw something on ESPN I think where they were saying how MLB is trying so hard to ensure that Bonds hits the record holder at home because he will get booed if he does on the road. I also think Selig is praying that the Feds bust him soon and save baseball from this nightmare that they will have to endure if he breaks the record.

I sign that was at Petco Park last year said it best "Ruth did it with hotdogs and beer, Aaron did it with class, Bonds did it with the cream and the clear." The man brings a black eye to baseball and I hope that he never ties the record of if he does (which he probably will) it's striken from the record book.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 08:17 PM
My idea of poetic justice is that when Bonds hits 754, he is indicted on Federal drug charges and Budlight decides to suspend him pending the outcome of the trial. Which reminds me: what the hell ever happened to the Mitchell investigation?

I believe his contract with the Giants becomes void if he is indicted

Gammons is convinced that this is exactly what will happen

TornLabrum
04-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I knew there was something I liked about Gammons! I like the way he thinks on this one.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 09:04 PM
I knew there was something I liked about Gammons! I like the way he thinks on this one.

Because I work games I am in contact with a lot of baseball people. The consensus is either the Feds or Selig will stop Bonds from breaking the record.

The Giants come to Fenway in mid June and if Barry thought Philadelphia was hostile to him that will be nothing compared to what he will face in Boston.

I bet he will "be hurt" for that series

PaulDrake
04-06-2007, 09:39 PM
The fates have not been kind to Hank Aaron. When he was chasing the Babe, he was subject to every manner of insults. It ranged from those who were jealous that he had the temerity to challenge baseball's most hallowed record, to outright racism. Yes, Aaron got lots of hate mail. Although there were more of us cheering him on, it was embarassing and sad to know that some haters were aiming their poisonous barbs at him. Still, in his own quiet way, he persevered and triumphed. Now, he's about to lose his record while he's still alive, to a fraud and a cheat. This just can't be allowed to happen. Once again, ESPN makes me want to hurl.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 10:00 PM
The fates have not been kind to Hank Aaron. When he was chasing the Babe, he was subject to every manner of insults. It ranged from those who were jealous that he had the temerity to challenge baseball's most hallowed record, to outright racism. Yes, Aaron got lots of hate mail. Although there were more of us cheering him on, it was embarassing and sad to know that some haters were aiming their poisonous barbs at him. Still, in his own quiet way, he persevered and triumphed. Now, he's about to lose his record while he's still alive, to a fraud and a cheat. This just can't be allowed to happen. Once again, ESPN makes me want to hurl.

I laughed when Aaron says he hopes he is in Europe playing golf when the time comes....

I think 95% of America was rooting for Hank back in 1973-4 to break the record but that other 5% was brutal

In those non cable days NBC broke in during prime time for every Aaron at bat as he closed in. That is how important the story was back then

HawkDJ
04-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't get the impression he thinks Bonds is a cheater. He said he just wants to be out of the spotlight ande I really believe it's as simple as that.

Aaron really should be the one honored when Bonds breaks the record, whether he is present or not.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't get the impression he thinks Bonds is a cheater. He said he just wants to be out of the spotlight ande I really believe it's as simple as that.

Aaron really should be the one honored when Bonds breaks the record, whether he is present or not.

He said more than once in the interview Bonds hasn't been found guilty of anything

What was telling was when asked well what if he was? and he would not answer

ewokpelts
04-06-2007, 11:56 PM
The fates have not been kind to Hank Aaron. When he was chasing the Babe, he was subject to every manner of insults. It ranged from those who were jealous that he had the temerity to challenge baseball's most hallowed record, to outright racism. Yes, Aaron got lots of hate mail. Although there were more of us cheering him on, it was embarassing and sad to know that some haters were aiming their poisonous barbs at him. Still, in his own quiet way, he persevered and triumphed. Now, he's about to lose his record while he's still alive, to a fraud and a cheat. This just can't be allowed to happen. Once again, ESPN makes me want to hurl.And even worse, Bonds is a racist.

slobes
04-08-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm also pretty happy that Aaron isn't taking any part in this at all. Bonds hasn't shown any respect for anyone else in his career, why should Hank show respect for him now?

getonbckthr
04-08-2007, 09:59 AM
I would laugh my ass off if the Giants are out of it and after he hits 756 he retires.

IndianWhiteSox
04-08-2007, 10:10 AM

That man Hank Aaron is amazing in his own right regardless. I only wish that he didn't have to hit in a pitcher's park and deal with all that racism. Otherwise, he probably would have hit 800HR's

I would laugh my ass off if the Giants are out of it and after he hits 756 he retires.

I'm not sure why, considering the fact that he probably would do something like that.