PDA

View Full Version : Nick Masset

JermaineDye05
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
As I expected, he's looked pretty good out of the bullpen but after yesterdays outing I get the impression he could be a starter some time down the line. Anyone else agree?

Fungo
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I've said it from the get go. Too many plus pitches to be a reliever.

veeter
04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
As I expected, he's looked pretty good out of the bullpen but after yesterdays outing I get the impression he could be a starter some time down the line. Anyone else agree?There's no question he could be a starter. He has a moving fastball, change and pretty nasty curve. Most impressive to me, is his command. He was throwing darts yesterday. Up, down- in, out, basically at will. Texas did a very nice job with him. He's very poised for his experiance level.

Domeshot17
04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Count me in with the group that thought he should have been given a shot at the 5th spot. I mean Kenny saw him throw in relief and said "SKINNY BOBBY JENKS" but yah, he should be starting in a few years, him and sisco both.

Nothing can be for sure though, the Sox loving taking power starters and making them into RP. Sisco had that done to him in KC, Massett was both in Texas, Jenks was a starter in Anaheim, can't complain though.

SoxxoS
04-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Masset has good stuff - But I dont know why people (KW) got carried away and thought his stuff was as good as Jenks. Come on.

JermaineDye05
04-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Count me in with the group that thought he should have been given a shot at the 5th spot. I mean Kenny saw him throw in relief and said "SKINNY BOBBY JENKS" but yah, he should be starting in a few years, him and sisco both.

Nothing can be for sure though, the Sox loving taking power starters and making them into RP. Sisco had that done to him in KC, Massett was both in Texas, Jenks was a starter in Anaheim, can't complain though.

I don't know about Sisco starting I have never really seen more than 2 pitches from him, and his delivery seems too erratic.

JermaineDye05
04-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Masset has good stuff - But I dont know why people (KW) got carried away and thought his stuff was as good as Jenks. Come on.

I saw his curve in ST it was nasty, and his fastball as Kenny said is just a tick below Jenks maxing out every now and then at 97. I believe Kenny said is just behind Bobby's not necassarily as good, I could be wrong though.

maurice
04-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Masset's top speed isn't as high as Jenks, but his FB moves more than Jenks' FB. Couple that with his very good breaking ball, and you have a potentially great pitcher.

The funny thing about Jenks is that he can just screw around with a random pitch and end up with another plus pitch. He's crazy talented.

doublem23
04-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Granted, I haven't seen THAT much of Masset, but from what I've seen is that his fastball and breaking ball are almost at Jenks' level except he's got much better command of those pitches. Jenks is fine in relief, but Masset has starter written all over him.

So the question now is, if Danks looks good Saturday, who's the first pitcher some loon on this site says is going to get traded?

SoxxoS
04-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Granted, I haven't seen THAT much of Masset, but from what I've seen is that his fastball and breaking ball are almost at Jenks' level except he's got much better command of those pitches. Jenks is fine in relief, but Masset has starter written all over him.

So the question now is, if Danks looks good Saturday, who's the first pitcher some loon on this site says is going to get traded?

There is nothing in Massets 5 years in the minor league to indicate he has Janks type stuff - It may seem like that watching him, but the opposing hitters sure don't think so.

I am not saying he can't be a late bloomer or whatever, but nothing in his past makes me think he can be a starting version of Jenks.

mrwag
04-07-2007, 09:36 AM

If anyone goes, I vote for Contreras. I'd rather keep building our starters around youth, and Jose might be able to bring us something valuable in return. Obviously, this all happens AFTER the parade in October:smile:

Grzegorz
04-07-2007, 11:49 AM
As I expected, he's looked pretty good out of the bullpen but after yesterdays outing I get the impression he could be a starter some time down the line. Anyone else agree?

Why isn't there the same issue of "stretching out" with Masset as there was with McCarthy?

krohnjw
04-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Why isn't there the same issue of "stretching out" with Masset as there was with McCarthy?

I think that is one of the issues. I remember discussion when we got him from Texas stating his FB velocity topped out around 92-94 when he was starting while he got quite a jump from being able to go full bore out of the pen (97 ish).

His breaking pitches and command are very nice but I think history has dictated that he loses a bit on his fastball when he has to pace it out for ~6 innings. His stats at AAA and AA don't support his use as a starter...although he could have turned a corner. I say if it isn't broke don't fix it :D: As long as we have enough starters to get the job done let's keep the bullpen locked down so we don't blow those leads.

chaerulez
04-08-2007, 10:14 AM
There is nothing in Massets 5 years in the minor league to indicate he has Janks type stuff - It may seem like that watching him, but the opposing hitters sure don't think so.

I am not saying he can't be a late bloomer or whatever, but nothing in his past makes me think he can be a starting version of Jenks.

And Bobby Jenks exactly didn't light it up in his minor league career either. Jenks is a fine closer, but he doesn't have good enough command of his breaking pitches to be a starter. Masset does.

champagne030
04-08-2007, 10:52 AM
And Bobby Jenks exactly didn't light it up in his minor league career either. Jenks is a fine closer, but he doesn't have good enough command of his breaking pitches to be a starter. Masset does.

He did on Thursday. He didn't on Monday. His stuff is excellent, although I haven't seen the overpowering fastball (I haven't seen a pitch over 92 in the regular season - it's very effective because of the movement). The key to his success, either as a reliever or starter will be his ability to throw strikes. He had problems throwing strikes in the minors. He's had periods of problems in the spring and already this regular season. He'll be fine when he throw strikes and have problems when he doesn't. Here's to many, many more days of him throwing strikes, than not. :gulp:

SoxxoS
04-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Im not saying that Jenks could be a starter - closer is the perfect role for him. But Masset isn't going to be the "starting Bobby Jenks"...he just doesnt have Jenks's stuff. I think it's safe to say that Jenks' pure stuff is in the top 5% of baseball. Massets is not.

But I bet Masset will be a better starter than Jenks.