PDA

View Full Version : Game Canceled for tonight, 4/6

nedlug
04-06-2007, 11:39 AM
While being 'productive' at work, I heard on Mully and Hanley online that the game tonight has been canceled due to the cold.

FYI - take it FWIW.

Law11
04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Radio reports and sox website has next game as tomorrow.

cheeses_h_rice
04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I have tickets and I didn't want to go.

:bandance::gulp::bandance:

ewokpelts
04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I just got the confirmation from my rep. Press release coming shortly.

whitesoxfan
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
If it's true, let's hope that the Twinks still have Ponson facing Danks, which would then be on Sunday. If we can miss Santana altogether, that would be nice :bandance:

Fenway
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
scoreboard in Arlington showing PPD on CWS game

peeonwrigley
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
If it's true, let's hope that the Twinks still have Ponson facing Danks, which would then be on Sunday. If we can miss Santana altogether, that would be nice :bandance:

I don't think the Twins are going to let us miss Johan.

WizardsofOzzie
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Awesome, now the bullpen can get some rest!!!

oeo
04-06-2007, 11:47 AM

Don't get your hopes up. I don't think the Twins have ever played us and not made sure that Santana will pitch. They will shuffle their rotation for the Sox, so I highly doubt they would not skip Ponson.

jenn2080
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Sure glad I lugged all my stuff to work with me. Although I was not looking forward to sitting in the cold all night.

DannyCaterFan
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I also had tickets, but this is one time I am happy about a cancellation.

jdm2662
04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Don't get your hopes up. I don't think the Twins have ever played us and not made sure that Santana will pitch. They will shuffle their rotation for the Sox, so I highly doubt they would not skip Ponson.

Um, let's see. Santana or Ponson...

:wanne

"It's a no brainer, appp, app...."

Law11
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I was actually pretty geared up for tonight.
Was all set to hit Grandstand... etc..
Oh well. Probably for the best.

DumpJerry
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
My buddy who was coming with me called off because he has the flu. I started to scramble for a backup when I saw this.

Jerko
04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I knew tonight's would get called when they DIDN'T call Wednesday or Thursdays.... Supposed to be colder tomorrow but at least it's a day game.

Mr.1Dog
04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Dammit. I was really pumped for the game tonight.:angry:

thegooch
04-06-2007, 11:55 AM
wilbon went nuts on the mlb schedule makers yesterday on PTI, for scheduling early season games in detroit, chicago, dc..etc. I'm with him.

That said, I was looking forward to wacthing the game tonight.

Dan Mega
04-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Dammit. I was really pumped for the game tonight.:angry:

Me too. Its Chicago. It gets cold here. If you don't like it then go watch them in the Metrodome.

chisoxmike
04-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Damn it. And I turned down Bulls tickets for tonights game to go to the Sox game.:whiner:

twinsuck1
Do you think there Is a chance they could call tomorrows game to because of weather?

russ99

I got tickets for Sunday, so I hope I can see the Sox lay down some smack on Santana, and hopefully Contreras is still pitching and ready to go.

mwc44
I also had tickets, but this is one time I am happy about a cancellation.

What he said ^... goes for me, too!

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........................

sox1970
04-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Damn it. And I turned down Bulls tickets for tonights game to go to the Sox game.:whiner:

Look at the bright side, you'll probably get a game in July now.

Day/night on July 7?

oeo
04-06-2007, 11:59 AM
I got tickets for Sunday, so I hope I can see the Sox lay down some smack on Santana, and hopefully Contreras is still pitching and ready to go.

We'll see, but the Sox usually don't shuffle around their rotation. Since Contreras had such a bad outing last time, it may be a good idea to get him out there, but at the same time, Danks needs to get work in, as well. If Javy is terrible tomorrow, we might see Danks in long relief...otherwise, I think Danks will be pitching on Sunday.

sox1970
04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
We'll see, but the Sox usually don't shuffle around their rotation. Since Contreras had such a bad outing last time, it may be a good idea to get him out there, but at the same time, Danks needs to get work in, as well. If Javy is terrible tomorrow, we might see Danks in long relief...otherwise, I think Danks will be pitching on Sunday.

I'd go Vazquez, Contreras this weekend.

Hopefully Garland, Danks, and Buehrle in Oakland.

Vazquez, Contreras, Garland in Cleveland

Then split Buehrle and Danks the next time around the rotation.

ChiSoxGirl
04-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Day/night on July 7?

July 6, per the Score's 11a update.

Trav
04-06-2007, 12:08 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070406sox,1,6737846.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

This blows. I had scout seats... and I won't be making the make up game since I don't live in Chicago.

spiffie
04-06-2007, 12:10 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070406sox,1,6737846.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

This blows. I had scout seats... and I won't be making the make up game since I don't live in Chicago.
I'll take them off your hands, since you won't be using them and all :cool:

SoxxoS
04-06-2007, 12:13 PM

Same day as the 2nd day of the Police concert

infohawk
04-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Yep, this is just what the doctor ordered for an overworked bullpen. I say this in jest, but perhaps this is the way to "even out" the bad karma from Mark having to come out of the game early.

russ99
04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Same day as the 2nd day of the Police concert

U.S. Cellular will probably draw more fans. :tongue:

gf2020
04-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Why is everybody sad about this? This is good news for the bullpen. Hopefully, Massett will be ready by Sunday or Monday. This give Buehrle another day to get back and healthy.

Whitesox029
04-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I guess I am happy too. I am going out tonight at 7 and now my friends (not baseball fans) won't be yelling at me for looking at my cell phone every 2 minutes.

jenn2080
04-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Why is everybody sad about this? This is good news for the bullpen. Hopefully, Massett will be ready by Sunday or Monday. This give Buehrle another day to get back and healthy.

Because some had tickets and really wanted to go despite the weather.

Mr.1Dog
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM

I just wanted to go to my first game this year. I am glad the bullpen will get some rest.

CLR01
04-06-2007, 12:22 PM
weak

Juice16
04-06-2007, 12:27 PM

I'm sad because I havent been able to see any games this week because of work. I was looking foward to relaxing tonight and watching my team.

MCHSoxFan
04-06-2007, 12:28 PM
I am EXTREMELY ANGRY!!!!!!!! I REALLY wanted to go. It is Chicago. If you don't want to go to the game, then don't. Now, they have to make it another date for the game that most likely WILL NOT work for me. Thanks a lot MLB! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

doublem23
04-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I knew tonight's would get called when they DIDN'T call Wednesday or Thursdays.... Supposed to be colder tomorrow but at least it's a day game.

It's supposed to be above freezing by game time, so that's all you need.

dcb56
04-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Ugh, so the makeup date will take place on another Hit and Run Plan date. Nice. :mad:

I really don't see the need to cancel this game, it's cold in Cleveland and New York today too and it looks like they're going to play. I guess Uncle Jerry must think he'll be able to sell more beer and a few more tickets for a makeup game during the day in July than he will if the game is played tonight.

whitesoxfan
04-06-2007, 12:30 PM

Yeah, I probably should have deep-pinked it.

MCHSoxFan
04-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Me two!! Sooooo mad. I cannot stand this. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Jerko
04-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Ugh, so the makeup date will take place on another Hit and Run Plan date. Nice. :mad:

I really don't see the need to cancel this game, it's cold in Cleveland and New York today too and it looks like they're going to play. I guess Uncle Jerry must think he'll be able to sell more beer and a few more tickets for a makeup game during the day in July than he will if the game is played tonight.

If that were true Wed and/or Thurs would have been cancelled too IMO. Tonight is called because it's a night game, pure and simple.

chisoxmike
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM

What does that mean? If you had a ticket for today's game, you are admitted to the make up game with the ticket?

HawkDJ
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Good news for the team. Bad news for me.

jenn2080
04-06-2007, 12:44 PM

This could be a small reason why they cancelled the game. Just a small one though. I think the main reason was to give the Hit and Run people a special treat.

Pretty damn cold out (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/60657?from=36hr_fcst_undeclared)

lths06
04-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Well at least this will give the bullpen a rest...

Navarro's Talent
04-06-2007, 12:49 PM

Exactly. The only bummer for me is that I have tickets for Saturday's game. I was hoping to see Danks' debut, but that will most likely not happen now. Oh well, no big deal. As long as Javy shuts 'em down!

roylestillman
04-06-2007, 12:52 PM
OK, let's say this friend of mine sold his tickets on Stub Hub for tonight's game. Does Stub Hub void the transaction and send the tickets back to my friend or does the buyer keep them?

itsnotrequired
04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I guess I'm watching Extra Innings tonight.

jenn2080
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
OK, let's say this friend of mine sold his tickets on Stub Hub for tonight's game. Does Stub Hub void the transaction and send the tickets back to my friend or does the buyer keep them?

No it does not. The person who purchased the tickets will use the tickets on July 6th since they will be honored.

per my rep
The game will be re-scheduled on a date to be determined. Fans should retain their tickets and parking for tonight’s postponed contest until a decision has been announced regarding the re-scheduled game.

thomas35forever
04-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Wow, first Detroit and now here. What's next, Kansas City?

Whitesox029
04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Interesting title under your name there, CLR.

cheeses_h_rice
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
I guess I'm watching Extra Innings tonight.

Guess I'm watching America's Funniest Home Videos tonight...

:unsure:

Bruizer
04-06-2007, 01:06 PM

If it does end up on July 6, I'll be happy since I have tickets to both games.

My question is: How does a day/night double header work? Do they have to clear all teh seats and parking lots between games? If you have parking passes and tickets for both games, will they let you stay between games, or at least let you keep your car in the lot?

Bru

ewokpelts
04-06-2007, 01:07 PM
If it does end up on July 6, I'll be happy since I have tickets to both games.

My question is: How does a day/night double header work? Do they have to clear all teh seats and parking lots between games? If you have parking passes and tickets for both games, will they let you stay between games, or at least let you keep your car in the lot?

BruYou have to leave the park after the first game. I'm not sure about parking. IF they let you stay, you'll get to tailgate for post game AND pre game!

dcb56
04-06-2007, 01:09 PM
This could be a small reason why they cancelled the game. Just a small one though. I think the main reason was to give the Hit and Run people a special treat.

Pretty damn cold out (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/60657?from=36hr_fcst_undeclared)

Ya, I'm warming up to the possibility of a double header, but am still disappointed tonight's game got cancelled becuase I was looking forward to it.

SoxFan33
04-06-2007, 01:12 PM
this sucks :whiner:

DumpJerry
04-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I happy for this. The players can't play their best when it is this cold and it becomes more likely they will get hurt.

It's not about me, I'm just the cheering section.

TDog
04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't think the Twins are going to let us miss Johan.

That doesn't seem there style, does it?

Hendu
04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Me too. Its Chicago. It gets cold here. If you don't like it then go watch them in the Metrodome.

Exactly! Mrs Hendu & I had our Sox blanket packed and ready to go, along with warm clothes and enough cash for lots of hot chocolate.

GlassSox
04-06-2007, 01:32 PM
This sucks, made special plans to be able to go to this game.:angry:

04-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Aww boo. My wife just left for Chicago, I had the TV ready to set and go for the game!

23Ventura
04-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Well this does suck, but at least the bullpen can get some rest.

JermaineDye05
04-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Good thing is the bullpen gets a much needed day off.

Unfortunate thing for me is it looks like Danks start will be skipped. I was kind of excited to see this guys debut.

MUsoxfan
04-06-2007, 01:39 PM
There's an easy resolution to this. Open up every year in the following cities:

AL
Tampa
Toronto
Minnesota
Kansas City
Anaheim
Texas
Oakland
Seattle

NL
Atlanta
Florida
Houston
Milwaukee
San Diego
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Francisco

The numbers work out almost perfectly. Let these teams have a couple home series right off the bat, and then let the other teams have their turn. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp and it makes every bit of sense.

cheeses_h_rice
04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
If it were just the cold weather, I think the game might still go on. But it is really windy out there, too, so the windchill + the effect on fly balls was probably the deciding factor to cancel.

gf2020
04-06-2007, 02:10 PM

AL
Tampa
Toronto
Minnesota
Kansas City
Anaheim
Texas
Oakland
Seattle

NL
Atlanta
Florida
Houston
Milwaukee
San Diego
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Francisco

The numbers work out almost perfectly. Let these teams have a couple home series right off the bat, and then let the other teams have their turn. It's really not that hard of a concept to grasp and it makes every bit of sense.
Are Milwaukee and Kansas City really any better than Chicago and Detroit?

jdm2662
04-06-2007, 02:15 PM

Milwaukee has a roof and KC is usually about 5-10 degrees warmer than Chicago this time a year. Hell, central Illinois is usually that much warmer. I remember one time in April it was 62 down there and 33 up here...

Hendu
04-06-2007, 02:15 PM

Milwaukee has a retractable roof.

Scottiehaswheels
04-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Well, can't say I didn't warn ya'll back on Wednesday about this.... :tongue:

chisox77
04-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I guess the Twins will have to wait for the beating they would have received tonight. Go White Sox!!

:cool:

Frater Perdurabo
04-06-2007, 02:49 PM

AL
Tampa
Toronto
Minnesota
Kansas City
Anaheim
Texas
Oakland
Seattle

NL
Atlanta
Florida
Houston
Milwaukee
San Diego
Arizona
Los Angeles
San Francisco

I completely agree. It's asinine that the Angels and Athletics are playing each other right now, when both could be hosting teams from cold weather cities. I would have no problem if the Sox opened up with nine or even 12 road games - just open up with one long AL West road trip straight from Arizona. Play an exhibition series in Las Vegas, then go up to Seattle, down to Oakland, down to Anaheim, and then over to Texas. The average daily high temperature in Chicago (60616 zip code, where the Cell is) on April 1 is 53 degrees. Just two weeks later, on April 15, the average daily high temperature is 59 degrees.

WhiteSox5187
04-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Milwaukee has a roof and KC is usually about 5-10 degrees warmer than Chicago this time a year. Hell, central Illinois is usually that much warmer. I remember one time in April it was 62 down there and 33 up here...
It looked like it was pretty cold in KC last night. It can get very cold in the Great Plains states in April...too bad about today's game...I don't know what I'll do with my night then.

kninchicago
04-06-2007, 03:25 PM
C'mon dcb you know a double header in July could kick serious ass. Think of the tailgating potential....we will have to prepare ahead for that one.

I am kinda bummed there's no game tonight too but I know the double header will likely more than make up for it.

itsnotrequired
04-06-2007, 03:29 PM
I completely agree. It's asinine that the Angels and Athletics are playing each other right now, when both could be hosting teams from cold weather cities. I would have no problem if the Sox opened up with nine or even 12 road games - just open up with one long AL West road trip straight from Arizona. Play an exhibition series in Las Vegas, then go up to Seattle, down to Oakland, down to Anaheim, and then over to Texas. The average daily high temperature in Chicago (60616 zip code, where the Cell is) on April 1 is 53 degrees. Just two weeks later, on April 15, the average daily high temperature is 59 degrees.

The beef with this is that northern teams then get more of the prime summer dates. In general, fewer people show up in April than, say, July. Maybe the opening series could be down south but the teams couldn't be down there for two weeks.

sox1970
04-06-2007, 03:43 PM
The beef with this is that northern teams then get more of the prime summer dates. In general, fewer people show up in April than, say, July. Maybe the opening series could be down south but the teams couldn't be down there for two weeks.

I think just one week makes a huge difference. I could see in a two-team market like Chicago, one team can start on the road for a week, and one for two weeks. Two week road trips used to be commonplace, but now they don't go past 3 series.

salty99
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Scott Reifert is reporting in his blog that Javy is starting tomorrow followed by Contreras on Sunday. Danks is being pushed back.

DaBears
04-06-2007, 04:16 PM
This news makes me happy! Not only can our bullpen rest, but I can stay warm today! After sitting out in the cold at wednesday & thursdays' games and doing the same this saturday, I will sit in the warmth of my house for a day!:D:

soxinem1
04-06-2007, 04:36 PM

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images2/BullDurham.jpg

'I told ya I could get us a rainout!'

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 05:59 PM
This is a damned shame. I was really looking forward to watching tonight's game from the comfort of my family room.

:redneck

04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Scott Reifert is reporting in his blog that Javy is starting tomorrow followed by Contreras on Sunday. Danks is being pushed back.

Gives them a chance to use him out of the bullpen I would imagine if needed.

oeo
04-06-2007, 06:18 PM

I guess they changed their mind...here's an update:
Ozzie just called me to say that they have decided to have John Danks pitch Sunday against the Twins. Our rotation now is Vazquez (tomorrow), Danks, Contreras (at Oakland), Garland and TBA (depending on how Buehrle feels).

Vernam
04-06-2007, 08:36 PM
This sucks, made special plans to be able to go to this game.:angry:Easy for you to say, when you're giving off that kind of body heat. :redneck

Regardless of the Santana situation, I'm glad our 'pen will have a good day's rest.

Vernam