PDA

View Full Version : Cellular Coffee

MrRoboto83
04-06-2007, 12:38 AM
I came to realize that the coffee at the Cell is not very good. Not only did I wait almost a 1/2 inning at the "Grounds Keeper" for my cup on Wednesday, I did not find it very good. A Ballpark that serves up some of the best food around needs to step it up in the coffee department. Unless I am mistaking, there should be a place to get a good latte or Espresso at the Cell. Last year when I went to McAffee in Oakland they hand some really great options. Also during spring training in Tucson, TEP park had a really nice coffee stand set up. I had a tasty Vanilla Latte.

chisoxwschamps05
04-06-2007, 12:40 AM
I'll settle for some good hot cocoa tomorrow night.

HartmanSox
04-06-2007, 08:19 AM
when in doubt, grab a beer. :bandance:

chisoxwschamps05
04-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Not when you're 16.:tongue:

ewokpelts
04-06-2007, 09:18 AM
what do you expect? it's dunkin donuts coffee

MrRoboto83
04-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Quite honestly I doubt it is even that, I think it is horid Folgers coffee in a Dunkin Donuts cup or something along those lines.

ewokpelts
04-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Quite honestly I doubt it is even that, I think it is horid Folgers coffee in a Dunkin Donuts cup or something along those lines.at least it's not 7-11 coffee....i'm glad all we get out of that deal are altered start times and sammich coupons

ILuvThatDuck
04-06-2007, 09:55 AM
when in doubt, grab a beer. :bandance:

Not when you're 16.:tongue:

Scotch???:redneck

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Frankly I'm surprised the Sox haven't struck a deal with Starbucks for a few kiosks around the ballpark. High-end coffee has become so popular, and the Sox play so many chilly night games in April, May, and (sometimes) October, it would be a perfect fit.

Besides, Starbucks already announced they want to add another 10,000 locations domestically. Why not 2-3 at Sox Park?

Personally I think their coffee is waaaay overroasted, but there is no accounting for the public's taste.
:cool:

Jaffar
04-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Starbucks also offers iced drinks which I know my wife loves and would prob buy at games. I'm sure they could come up with something creative.

Law11
04-06-2007, 10:17 AM

Nope its not.. the vending company that is used uses a lower grade coffee.
We roast and supply the coffee for Dunkin worldwide and the stuff that is sold in the general concessions I know is not Dunkin.

The issue is also that the coffee might actually be a decent grade roast but if the machines arent cleaned right and the coffee not brewed properly the true coffee consumer will suffer..

zach074
04-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Starbucks is already expensive, their prices would be outrageous at a game.

Law11
04-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Frankly I'm surprised the Sox haven't struck a deal with Starbucks for a few kiosks around the ballpark. High-end coffee has become so popular, and the Sox play so many chilly night games in April, May, and (sometimes) October, it would be a perfect fit.

Besides, Starbucks already announced they want to add another 10,000 locations domestically. Why not 2-3 at Sox Park?

Personally I think their coffee is waaaay overroasted, but there is no accounting for the public's taste.

Starbucks doesnt deal too much in the Foodservice industry and that what youre talking about. There strength is in their retail stores.
I work for the largest Foodservice Coffee operation in the country and
although Starbucks does a great job at their kiosks, they dont produce enough revenue to make it worth their efforts for what amounts to a a few hours a day for a few months a year to support.

RowanDye
04-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Starbucks doesnt deal too much in the Foodservice industry and that what youre talking about. There strength is in their retail stores.
although Starbucks does a great job at their kiosks, they dont produce enough revenue to make it worth their efforts for what amounts to a a few hours a day for a few months a year to support.

You probably know more than I do, but it seems the "efforts" would just have to match the potential profit. They obviously wouldn't need to provide coffee during the offseason. I've also seen several places that are licensed to serve Starbuck's coffee, but aren't technically a Starbucks (i.e. bookstores, etc.). Maybe the Sox could make a deal like this and then just have their own employees trained to serve the coffee, that way they already have the whole part time, part year thing worked out?

jenn2080
04-06-2007, 10:41 AM
I came to realize that the coffee at the Cell is not very good. Not only did I wait almost a 1/2 inning at the "Grounds Keeper" for my cup on Wednesday, I did not find it very good. A Ballpark that serves up some of the best food around needs to step it up in the coffee department. Unless I am mistaking, there should be a place to get a good latte or Espresso at the Cell. Last year when I went to McAffee in Oakland they hand some really great options. Also during spring training in Tucson, TEP park had a really nice coffee stand set up. I had a tasty Vanilla Latte.

:rolleyes: Do you want a Starbucks in the stadium that offers Vanilla Lattes? If they put a Starbucks in the stadium you would have thousands of people freaking out about this not being the North Side.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the tip, Continental Coffee Boy.
:wink:

Your point is well taken about foodservice providers, especially the ones at sports stadiums like Sox Park. The food quality is generally poor because the facilities for preparing the food is sub-par and the training of the foodservice staff usually quite poor. They will NEVER be able to replicate a quality cup of coffee that a Starbucks patron (or similar) would expect from their favorite barista.

Given Starbucks' current push to become omnipotent in the public's mind, I would think staffing their own kiosks at a high-visibility location like Sox Park would make sense. I agree they wouldn't make any money on the deal, but if they looked at it as though it were a promotional/advertising expense on behalf of the brand, it would make a lot of sense -- especially if they got stadium signage tossed into the deal, which I'm sure they would insist on.

Chicago is one of the few markets where Starbucks' #1 competitor, Caribou Coffee, still has a significant market share. If I'm Starbucks, I'm picking up the phone and calling Sox Marketing right now.

:gallas
"It won't be me answering the phone."

RowanDye
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM

This didn't seem to be a problem for the Pirates. "For the first time, the park [PNC] will also offer Starbucks' "Creamice" frozen espresso drink at a couple of locations. Starbucks coffee will be available throughout the park."

link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07095/775226-63.stm)

chisoxmike
04-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Bite your tounge!!!!!! The **** they pass off as coffee at the cell is NOT DD!!!

ewokpelts
04-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Your point is well taken about foodservice providers, especially the ones at sports stadiums like Sox Park. The food quality is generally poor because the facilities for preparing the food is sub-par and the training of the foodservice staff usually quite poor. They will NEVER be able to replicate a quality cup of coffee that a Starbucks patron (or similar) would expect from their favorite barista.

Given Starbucks' current push to become omnipotent in the public's mind, I would think staffing their own kiosks at a high-visibility location like Sox Park would make sense. I agree they wouldn't make any money on the deal, but if they looked at it as though it were a promotional/advertising expense on behalf of the brand, it would make a lot of sense -- especially if they got stadium signage tossed into the deal, which I'm sure they would insist on.

Chicago is one of the few markets where Starbucks' #1 competitor, Caribou Coffee, still has a significant market share. If I'm Starbucks, I'm picking up the phone and calling Sox Marketing right now.

"It won't be me answering the phone."Too bad TWO of Starbucks biggest competitors have deals with the sox already. 7-11 and Dunkin Donuts

ewokpelts
04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Why not have construction grade coffee(otherwise known as black death)? Tie it in to all therennovation that has been done.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Too bad TWO of Starbucks biggest competitors have deals with the sox already. 7-11 and Dunkin Donuts

Unless Dunkin Donuts and 7Eleven are willing to provide the same coffee service (i.e. kiosks serving espresso, lattes and other coffee-based drinks), their deals with the Sox DO NOT preclude the team from doing a separate deal with another vendor willing to provide such service.

Any other questions?

chisox77
04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Can you image the Cell, with that familiar scent of grilled onions, along with that fresh smell of brewed, high-end, overpriced coffee? If a Starbucks comes, would that count as another renovation (phase VII)?

INSox56
04-06-2007, 03:25 PM
what do you expect? it's dunkin donuts coffeeI happen to think DD coffee is actually pretty good

TDog
04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
I've stayed, withe Chicago people, at hotels that "proudly serve" Starbucks Coffee, and I've heard complaints and requests for different coffee. I'm not saying Starbucks is bad coffee -- in Juneau, Alaska, Native-owned Heritage Coffee has been pretty successful in keeping the capital city Starbucks-free -- but I'm sure that giving Starbucks exclusive coffee rights at the Cell would generate some complaints.

Considering the number of night games the Sox play, I'm not sure coffee is a big issue.

CPditka
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
:rolleyes: Do you want a Starbucks in the stadium that offers Vanilla Lattes? If they put a Starbucks in the stadium you would have thousands of people freaking out about this not being the North Side.

Eh, I dont think that would be the case. Id definetly be in favor of DD or Starbucks having their Coffee Drinks at the Cell. During April/May/Sept/Oct hot coffee drinks would go well, and during the summer months iced coffee would go well. They DO drink good coffee on the South Side right? I guess if Inteligensia opened up in the park it would be a different story of yuppie proportions, but I see nothing wrong with Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

Law11
04-06-2007, 03:44 PM
This didn't seem to be a problem for the Pirates. "For the first time, the park [PNC] will also offer Starbucks' "Creamice" frozen espresso drink at a couple of locations. Starbucks coffee will be available throughout the park."

I didnt say they arent serving in foodservice I just said they dont deal in it much that their bread and butter is in retail stores. They are serving coffee thoughtout the stadium not specialty drinks thoughout. Belive me Starbucks has tiered coffee levels from low-end to high-end depending on the operator. Example Seattle's best is a mid-level tier of Starbucks.
Thier Foodservice ballpark coffee will be in their low to middle roast range with a nice "Starbucks" markup.. Your paying for the name not nessesarily the coffee in this instance. I mean its not bad.. Its not prison coffee (which does exsist) but to think you are getting their high end coffee would be a bit nuts.

MrRoboto83
04-06-2007, 04:22 PM

The people freaking out will be the coffee fans like me freaking happy about getting a good cup of coffee.

Is is a bad thing to want a good coffee at the ballpark? I like drinking beer, but sometimes I have to work nights, and those afternoon cold games I am stuck drinking coffee and I want quality!

Why not at least strike a deal with Stewarts coffee, it is a Chicago coffee, it tastes excellent, and would at be much better than they serve now.

If no improvements are made, let me at least bring a thermos in with my own home brewed coffee.

Foulke You
04-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I happen to think DD coffee is actually pretty good
I like DD coffee as well.

I think some of the confusion about the coffee at Comiskey is that they pour it into Dunkin Donuts cups at the park (along with the cocoa) but it is NOT Dunkin Donuts coffee. Dunkin is a longtime White Sox sponsor so I have no idea why they don't just provide the coffee at our park. The stuff they brew at Comiskey is closer to SAE-10W30 than it is Dunkin Donuts. I would think a Dunkin sales rep would freak out if they knew the Sox were pouring their concession brand x coffee into their cups.

Grzegorz
04-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I like DD coffee as well.

BTW, DD has one hell of a cup of coffee.

Any grade of coffee can be screwed up. It's not just the coffee; it's the preparation. The commitment to brewing a better cup has to be made.

DumpJerry
04-06-2007, 11:13 PM

Sounds like people will freak out about this not being Pittsburgh.

I'm glad I don't drink coffee, it makes everyone too stressed out.

RadioheadRocks
04-06-2007, 11:18 PM

"It won't be me answering the phone."

Caribou Coffeee kicks ass! Their mochas are to die for!!!

:gulp: (pretend this is a mocha)

bahn1225
04-07-2007, 12:15 AM
I wonder what the Mariners serve at SAFECO field what with Seattle being the coffee town that it is.

Also, the SOX missed an excellent opportunity to tie in a premium coffee with their motto this year (Back to the Grind :wink: )

MDF3530
04-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I wonder what the Mariners serve at SAFECO field what with Seattle being the coffee town that it is.

Also, the SOX missed an excellent opportunity to tie in a premium coffee with their motto this year (Back to the Grind :wink: )Probably "Seattle's Worst Coffee" (aka Starbucks).