PDA

View Full Version : The First "Fox Sucks" thread of the season

MarySwiss
04-05-2007, 10:08 PM
...and the honor is all mine. :D:

[Whine alert] Well, crap! I missed most of the first three games of the season due to this "job" thing. So I'll get tomorrow's (Friday) game over MLB.TV. And then what happens? Well, Saturday's game gets blacked out, so we can watch whatever pathetic team the powers that be decide we are most interested in. Oh sure; it COULD be the Sox game, but what do you want to bet?[/Whine alert]

Hokiesox
04-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Yep. I get the Mets/Yankees/Bosox. Don't know which one, don't care. I feel your pain.

dcb56
04-05-2007, 10:41 PM

[Whine alert] Well, crap! I missed most of the first three games of the season due to this "job" thing. So I'll get tomorrow's (Friday) game over MLB.TV. And then what happens? Well, Saturday's game gets blacked out, so we can watch whatever pathetic team the powers that be decide we are most interested in. Oh sure; it COULD be the Sox game, but what do you want to bet?[/Whine alert]

Yup, you're out of luck as far as Saturday is concerned. Looks like you'll get Giants/Dodgers instead out in AZ:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5619630

Off topic: Whoopie, only 1.5 weeks until we get our first WCIU whinefest of the season! :bandance:(teal banana)

kevingrt
04-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Yup, you're out of luck as far as Saturday is concerned. Looks like you'll get Giants/Dodgers instead out in AZ:

Off topic: Whoopie, only 1.5 weeks until we get our first WCIU whinefest of the season! :bandance:(teal banana)

Well at least people in Seattle, WA and Billings, MN get to watch White Sox baseball. And Baltimore, Md

MrRoboto83
04-05-2007, 11:07 PM
and we won't be able to have Sweet Lou calling the games this year. Darnit

BringBackBlkJack
04-05-2007, 11:45 PM
It is pretty ridiculous how FOX has this agreement with MLB. It is also ridiculous how MLB.TV can claim that you can "WATCH every 2007 regular season out-of-market game LIVE" without any mention that it doesn't apply on Saturdays. I bought a monthly subscription to MLB.TV last year and after the fact I found out that I was unable to watch the game on Saturday. I remember calling the 800 number and hearing some recording about how FOX has exclusive rights blah blah blah. I don't understand why FOX insists on this agreement. How does it hurt them by allowing MLB.TV subscribers access to the game when it is impossible to view the game by any other means? Doesn't make any sense.

lumpyspun
04-06-2007, 05:14 AM
I hate Fox, with a passion.

MRM
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
It is pretty ridiculous how FOX has this agreement with MLB. It is also ridiculous how MLB.TV can claim that you can "WATCH every 2007 regular season out-of-market game LIVE" without any mention that it doesn't apply on Saturdays. I bought a monthly subscription to MLB.TV last year and after the fact I found out that I was unable to watch the game on Saturday. I remember calling the 800 number and hearing some recording about how FOX has exclusive rights blah blah blah. I don't understand why FOX insists on this agreement. How does it hurt them by allowing MLB.TV subscribers access to the game when it is impossible to view the game by any other means? Doesn't make any sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense, for FOX. They pay alot of money to broadcast those Saturday games. If everyone can watch whatever game they actually want to see, nobody would watch the FOX game, costing them a ton in ad revenue.

White_Sock
04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm glad already that I bought gameday audio; no blackout restrictions.

Dolemite79
04-06-2007, 01:36 PM
its not the same but

XM radio FTW

whitesoxfan
04-06-2007, 01:38 PM
FOX does indeed suck, but it's not as bad as what I have. At least I get the game on TV here tomorrow. MLB.TV blacks out all of the Sox games for me...and I am over 400 miles away from Chicago! At least you out of towners, like Mary, get to watch the majority of the games on MLB.TV. I can't watch any of the games that are on CSN and WCIU in all of April and the first part of May as well as the last part of August and all of September :angry:

The blackout rules are a joke.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Well at least people in Seattle, WA and Billings, MN get to watch White Sox baseball. And Baltimore, MdIs there a Billings, Minnesota, or did you mean Billings, MT? I'll be getting the Sox game here in Mankato, in HD on Fox.

MarySwiss
04-06-2007, 01:50 PM

Dammit all to hell! Now I hear that tonight's game has been called due to cold! I was really looking forward to hunkering down to watch it with a cold beer and some Salerno's pizza that I went and bought yesterday in anticipation of my first regular season game. Arggghhh!

Oh, well. At least I have Sunday to look forward to!

kjhanson
04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
At least you get MLB.TV games. I'm 360 miles away from the city and my zip code is blacked out from MLB.TV. We don't get Comcast Sports Chicago, so there's no good explanation. For the past 3 years I've been able to watch them without a problem on MLB.TV, except when they were playing the Twins. Even then I could get around the blackouts using a proxy server, but no such luck this year. It's back to the XM and horrible announcers for the next 4 weeks.

INSox56
04-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Anyone know how cable works in Portage? Here in Michigan City it's wonderful, a lot of the time I can get two different Fox games if the Chicago one's blacked out. Here we get Fox from South Bend as well as Chicago. If Portage only gets Chicago fox I'm gonna be depressed cuz that's where I'm moving in a couple months!

Frater Perdurabo
04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Is there a Billings, Minnesota, or did you mean Billings, MT? I'll be getting the Sox game here in Mankato, in HD on Fox.

But you're really getting the Twins game, right? :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2007, 04:26 PM
But you're really getting the Twins game, right? :tongue:Not in MY house!:tongue:

whitesoxfan
04-06-2007, 04:30 PM
At least you get MLB.TV games. I'm 360 miles away from the city and my zip code is blacked out from MLB.TV. We don't get Comcast Sports Chicago, so there's no good explanation. For the past 3 years I've been able to watch them without a problem on MLB.TV, except when they were playing the Twins. Even then I could get around the blackouts using a proxy server, but no such luck this year. It's back to the XM and horrible announcers for the next 4 weeks.

Yep, I'm totally clueless on this one too. How can we be blacked out when we don't even have the station(s) that are airing the games?

MarySwiss
04-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, just to beat a dead horse again, here's a recap of one of my rants from last year.

I really just do not see the logic of blacking it out on MLB.TV. All it does is piss off out-of-area fans and penalize out-of-area bar owners. And they cannot honestly believe that just because I--and probably most people--can't see the team we want to see, that means we'll watch the other stupid game. I understand this is part of MLB's deal with Fox---and that's why this thread isn't called "MLB Sucks."

:angry:

SCarolina_Ron
04-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Actually it makes perfect sense, for FOX. They pay alot of money to broadcast those Saturday games. If everyone can watch whatever game they actually want to see, nobody would watch the FOX game, costing them a ton in ad revenue.

How can that make sense when all three games are FOX games with their advertisers anyway?

The Dude
04-06-2007, 06:18 PM
I like Fox.

MarySwiss
04-06-2007, 06:43 PM

Actually, it doesn't. And I am sure I'm not alone here. I DO NOT watch whatever-the-hell game is on Fox. I just sign into Sox chat.

I would really like to hear from others on this subject. Does ANYONE out there actually watch whatever Fox game is available, merely because it IS available?

sox647
04-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Actually, it doesn't. And I am sure I'm not alone here. I DO NOT watch whatever-the-hell game is on Fox. I just sign into Sox chat.

I would really like to hear from others on this subject. Does ANYONE out there actually watch whatever Fox game is available, merely because it IS available?

if mlb extra inning is no longer available under time warnerif mlb tv is blacked outif mlb audio has no audioand if gameday is just ****ing stuckthen yes.

BRDSR
04-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I like Fox.

I bet you like kicking puppies too.

I got MLB.TV a few years ago, but I didn't use it enough. Now that I'm moving to Washington DC over the summer, theres a good chance I'll pony up again. Whats really good about MLB.TV is that you can watch the games anytime. I guess with Tivo thats not as great anymore, but it was a few years ago.

Hokiesox
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Well at least people in Seattle, WA and Billings, MN get to watch White Sox baseball. And Baltimore, Md

Wow, I stand corrected! I get to watch the game! WOOHOO! No yankees for me! I'll have to adjust my rabbit ears to get the baltimore fox station, don't think my verizon fios carries it, but this is great news!

Fenway
04-06-2007, 10:03 PM
It is all about local ad revenues for the local FOX stations ( which in most major markets FOX owns the station )

Most of the country still gets Mutts-Braves however :angry:

mshake10
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM

Baseball is baseball, so yes.

markopat
04-06-2007, 11:48 PM

Jag Off, Fox, Butthead Dorks......................

cws05champ
04-07-2007, 10:32 AM

I'll get the Mets Braves game here today. Will I watch it....NO! Every Saturday game down here is either a NY team or Boston. I'm really tired of Fox as well. I love baseball, but it is Saturday afternoon and here in Florida, if the Sox are not on TV...then I'm just doing something else. I just don't get it...if they want to get the full reveune(or even additional revenue) they would run the same ad's on MLB TV or on the baseball package that would run on the national game. That way they would capture the interest of fans for all teams playing on Saturday afternoon.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Baseball is baseball, so yes.

Same here. I won't go out of my way to catch the game but if I'm just sitting around, I'll watch baseball as opposed to the typical Saturday afternoon infomercials that are playing on other channels.

Deebs14
04-07-2007, 10:49 AM
I'll watch whatever games are on too, but the main highlights for me are generally whenever they happen to show a rare one to two highlights of the Sox games that most of us out of towners get hosed out of.

A bit off topic here, but I just recently signed up for MLB.TV Premium package and they say it includes Gameday Audio (which I've yet to try and use yet). So does that mean I can listen to these Fox broadcasted games and not watch them, or am I SOL on both accounts?

Gracias.

DSpivack
04-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I'll watch whatever games are on too, but the main highlights for me are generally whenever they happen to show a rare one to two highlights of the Sox games that most of us out of towners get hosed out of.

A bit off topic here, but I just recently signed up for MLB.TV Premium package and they say it includes Gameday Audio (which I've yet to try and use yet). So does that mean I can listen to these Fox broadcasted games and not watch them, or am I SOL on both accounts?

Gracias.

I thought Gameday Audio was the radio feeds?

HotelWhiteSox
04-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I actually will watch the Fox game if I'm home, except maybe if it's another team in the city.

The blackout rules confuse me though. Every game before 6 is blacked out on MLB.tv. In the past, those Sox/Minny games were issues because of FOX, but now there's games on now (the Flubs for example) on in their local market. Whatever

mshake10
04-07-2007, 12:38 PM
The blackout is from the start of FOXs first game until a set time at night. It used to be 11:30 CT, but with all FOX games now starting at 2:30, that allows teams to avoid the blackout. That also means the early morning Sox/Twins game in Sept will be shown this year.

mshake10
04-07-2007, 12:41 PM
I thought Gameday Audio was the radio feeds?
It is, and I'm pretty sure there's no blackouts ever for radio. So at least you'll get Farmer and Singleton.

Cavahoo
04-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Another FOX hater here. And I can assure you I never watch the FOX games on Saturday because here in Tidewater we always get the Mets, Braves, Orioles, or Nationals and 3 of those 4 we get on TV almost every single day. But what I really don't understand is that I pay for the MLB Extra Innings package (basically just to watch the SOX games!) and I cannot understand how they can black me out on ANY games. Even ESPN lifted their Wednesday night "black outs". But still on DIRECTV, I get blacked out on Orioles and Nationals games and I live 150 miles from Washington and 200 miles from Baltimore. Oh well, at least our AAA Norfolk Tides are now the Orioles affiliates and the Charlotte Knights will be here the first weekend in May.

Anybody else going to Camden in July?

whitesoxwilkes
04-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Another FOX hater here. And I can assure you I never watch the FOX games on Saturday because here in Tidewater we always get the Mets, Braves, Orioles, or Nationals and 3 of those 4 we get on TV almost every single day. But what I really don't understand is that I pay for the MLB Extra Innings package (basically just to watch the SOX games!) and I cannot understand how they can black me out on ANY games. Even ESPN lifted their Wednesday night "black outs". But still on DIRECTV, I get blacked out on Orioles and Nationals games and I live 150 miles from Washington and 200 miles from Baltimore. Oh well, at least our AAA Norfolk Tides are now the Orioles affiliates and the Charlotte Knights will be here the first weekend in May.

Anybody else going to Camden in July?

I'll be there. See you at Pickles Pub beforehand?

Cavahoo
04-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I'll be there. See you at Pickles Pub beforehand?

You know it!!

ChicagoG19
04-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Anyone else with HDTV notice a crappy picture from the center field camera on fox today. The other cameras are fine, just the center field camera.

04-07-2007, 05:33 PM
FOX switches to the SOX for me! Game over in San Francisco.

For the moment, I LOVE FOX!

HotelWhiteSox
04-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Anyone else with HDTV notice a crappy picture from the center field camera on fox today. The other cameras are fine, just the center field camera.

I don't think the Sox game is HD, I think they picked the Mets one this week. They still do widescreen for every other game, but that might be why it doesn't look as good

MarySwiss
04-07-2007, 05:51 PM
FOX switches to the SOX for me! Game over in San Francisco.

For the moment, I LOVE FOX!

Yup, me too! The folks in the chat room tipped me off and I watched the last inning. Sweet!

FireMariotti
04-07-2007, 07:16 PM
What is the deal with all the former Cubs on that network now? We got Grace calling the ballgame. After the game, they introduced new additions Joe Girardi and Eric Karros for studio work. They must really hate us down here on the South Side.

Tragg
04-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Unless the Sox play the Yanks, Mets, Astros, or Braves, we're not getting the Sox down here on the national feed.

Not suprisingly, we got the Braves...oh joy.

spongyfungy
04-08-2007, 02:05 AM
I don't think the Sox game is HD, I think they picked the Mets one this week. They still do widescreen for every other game, but that might be why it doesn't look as good

That's correct. It's cropped Standard Digital upconverted. It's much better than last years fakehd.

Only the Dodgers/Giants game was in HD.

GAME SUMMARIES:
1=Mets @ Braves - 55% Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Ken Rosenthal
2=Twins @ White Sox - 24% Thom Brennaman, Mark Grace
3=Dodgers @ Giants (HD) - 20% Josh Lewin, Eric Karros

bigfoot
04-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I had to laugh a bit when Mark Grace said he would have liked to have played for Ozzie(or perhaps an Ozzie-like manager). If Grace had been on the Southside, where would he have played? Which probably begs the real question....If the Scrubs weren't so demographic-conscious, who would have stayed Grace or Palmiero? And which, in hindsight, would you have wanted?
500 doubles or 500 dingers?

Believe It!
04-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Got to watch the whole game here, just outside of Chicago