PDA

View Full Version : Negro League Museum in Kansas City

Fenway
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I visited the Negro League Museum yesterday in Kansas City and can tell you it is a must visit if you are ever in the area ( or a very good excuse to visit )

http://www.nlbm.com/s/index.cfm

But there was one exhibit that floored me

In 1965 Satchel Paige pitched 3 innings against the Boston Red Sox in a game at Kansas City. He only gave up one hit ( Yaz doubled ). Who knows how old he really was that night.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1965/B09250KC11965.htm

The game was televised back to Boston and my Dad who worked as a tech at the old WHDH-TV was working that night and decided to tape Paige pitching. Now in 1965 videotape was on 2 inch rolls and cost $250 an hour but my Dad "smuggeled" the tape out being a Saturday night.

A few years later we bumped the tape to 3/4 inch and about 10 years ago I gave a copy to the New England Sports Museum.

Well that tape made its way to Kansas City and is on display at the museum.

My Dad didn't get to see the Red Sox win it all but I *know* he was watching and he would be proud that his impulse back in 1965 will let future generations see Paige.

Love ya Dad
http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/TV/rca-tk43(whdh).jpg

Tragg
04-07-2007, 09:05 AM
That museum is on my list of sites to see.

It's ironic that KC is the cradle of the Negro Leagues, considering they've been under court supervised desegregation orders for most of the last 1/2 century. Well, maybe that isn't ironic - it sort of fits.

Vernam
04-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Wow, great story, fenway. I read Satchel's "Maybe I'll Pitch Forever" over and over as a kid. I remember seeing him on WGN when he came back briefly with the Braves, but he didn't get into the game. That's cool for your dad's footage to have made its way to the museum.

Vernam

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 11:47 AM
I visited the Negro League Museum yesterday in Kansas City and can tell you it is a must visit if you are ever in the area ( or a very good excuse to visit )

In 1965 Satchel Paige pitched 3 innings against the Boston Red Sox in a game at Kansas City. He only gave up one hit ( Yaz doubled ). Who knows how old he really was that night.

You're right that is a great museum. I went there last year after seeing the Sox play the Royals and I would definitely recommend it.

As far as Satchel Paige, his most famous quote must have been true: "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Fenway
04-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow, great story, fenway. I read Satchel's "Maybe I'll Pitch Forever" over and over as a kid. I remember seeing him on WGN when he came back briefly with the Braves, but he didn't get into the game. That's cool for your dad's footage to have made its way to the museum.

Vernam

By chance that footage was also one of the last games Curt Gowdy did on Boston TV ( game was in September of 1965 ) as Gowdy would go on to NBC in 1966. Gowdy was beside himself at how good Paige looked saying several times "he is older than me" :smile:

TheMilkman
04-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I don't think it was that game, but Hawk once told a story that he played with (or attended?) a game where Satchel pitched. After the game, on an impulse, he asked Satchel if he could have his glove. Satchel said 'sure kid' and gave him the glove.

A couple years ago, someone from the Hall of Fame heard about it and asked Hawk if they could have the glove for their exhibit. Hawk agreed, but he can't find the glove. He said he knows he didnt' throw it away but can't find it. He tears his house apart every now and then trying to find it.

spawn
04-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I plan on getting there sometime this year. Thanks for starting this thread Fenway! :thumbsup:

spawn
04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
As far as Satchel Paige, his most famous quote must have been true: "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

My favorite quote by Satchell is "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

DoItForDanPasqua
04-07-2007, 08:54 PM
My favorite quote by Satchell is "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

Here's the list of his tips on staying young. They are from his autobiography and are on his tombstone. I better go lie down now, my stomach is disputing me.

"Avoid fried meats which angry up the blood".
"If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts".
"Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move".
"Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in society the social ramble ain't restful".
"Avoid running at all times".
"And don't look back something might be gaining on you".