PDA

View Full Version : once again I'm embarrassed to be a Red Sox fan

Fenway
04-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Last night at Kauffman Stadium bordered on the surreal.

I was working a camera at high first base and suddenly I heard the chant begin and it got louder and louder......my director asked "please don't tell me I hear what I am hearing"

The chant was "YANKEES ****"

There were probably 5,000 Red Sox fans at the game and it seemed like they were all into it........

I shouldn't be surprised however, I heard it this winter at the Centre Bell during a Bruins-Montreal hockey game.....

Today Kauffman Stadium is awash in media from Japan and the PR people say it is the highest amount of media they have handled since the 1985 World Series...

Hey at least you can watch it on inDemand for free :smile:

SBSoxFan
04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Last night at Kauffman Stadium bordered on the surreal.

I was working a camera at high first base and suddenly I heard the chant begin and it got louder and louder......my director asked "please don't tell me I hear what I am hearing"

The chant was "YANKEES ****"

There were probably 5,000 Red Sox fans at the game and it seemed like they were all into it........

I shouldn't be surprised however, I heard it this winter at the Centre Bell during a Bruins-Montreal hockey game.....

Today Kauffman Stadium is awash in media from Japan and the PR people say it is the highest amount of media they have handled since the 1985 World Series...

Hey at least you can watch it on inDemand for free :smile:

How do you live with yourself? :rolleyes:

Fenway
04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
How do you live with yourself? :rolleyes:

Most old time Red Sox fans are horrified by this entire Red Sox Nation creation that WEEI started 10 years ago.

But as far as the chant goes the Yankees fans started it in the late 70's and it has grown from there.

This entire Boston-NYY thing has gotten out of hand

Walkman
04-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Given the Red Sox are trying to copy the Yankees, they have nobody else to blame but themselves. Let them flail away while we enjoy the best division in baseball right here.

Fenway
04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Given the Red Sox are trying to copy the Yankees, they have nobody else to blame but themselves. Let them flail away while we enjoy the best division in baseball right here.

Boston really has no choice but try and spend as much as possible to compete with NYY. Still the gap is closing as this year only 40M seperate the 2 payrolls and it might get closer as it appears Boston is going all out to bring Roger back.

Walkman
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Boston really has no choice but try and spend as much as possible to compete with NYY. Still the gap is closing as this year only 40M seperate the 2 payrolls and it might get closer as it appears Boston is going all out to bring Roger back.

I don't understand why Boston needs to obsess about competing with the Yankees, rivalry aside.

itsnotrequired
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't understand why Boston needs to obsess about competing with the Yankees, rivalry aside.

Uhh, because they're divisional foes? If the Twins outspent the Sox year after year, the Sox would be "obsessing" as well.

Walkman
04-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Uhh, because they're divisional foes? If the Twins outspent the Sox year after year, the Sox would be "obsessing" as well.

I don't think the Twins, Tigers or Indians obsess about spending money to compete with the Sox. I don't blame Boston for spending money they have, but they shouldn't pretend they are doing it just to compete with NYY. They have plenty of games against other teams too.

Irishsox1
04-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I can understand why the Red Sox fans hate the Yankees, but I can't understand the Red Sox fans behavior. Just because they hate the Yankees doesn't make it right to act loud and obnoxious at a ballpark.

chitownhawkfan
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I understand completely the Yankee hating, and the obsessing over money. However, I don't get why you would chant Yankees suck at a Royals game????:dunno:

DumpJerry
04-05-2007, 04:12 PM
I understand completely the Yankee hating, and the obsessing over money. However, I don't get why you would chant Yankees suck at a Royals game????:dunno:
It is because they are like Cub fans: they have no clue.

jenn2080
04-05-2007, 04:33 PM

I guess none of the Major League teams have clues except the Sox fans since I have heard that multiple times when watching the Yankee games.

DumpJerry
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I guess none of the Major League teams have clues except the Sox fans since I have heard that multiple times when watching the Yankee games.
The difference is that you're watching a game involving the Yankees. We're talking about goofs jeering the Yankees even though they are not involved in the game.

jenn2080
04-05-2007, 04:37 PM
The difference is that you're watching a game involving the Yankees. We're talking about goofs jeering the Yankees even though they are not involved in the game.

People do not like them. There is no secret in that. It does not make sense but who cares. Comparing it to Cubs fans is a pretty bad one.

Walkman
04-05-2007, 04:41 PM
The Red Sox fans compare quite favorably to the Cubs fans. They each draw a bandwagon on fair-weather types, fueled by big-media bias.

Chips
04-05-2007, 04:58 PM

I've never once heard a "Cubs Suck" chant at a Sox game when the Cubs weren't playing. Every team has clueless and idiotic fans, not just the Cubs and Red Sox.

The Red Sox fans compare quite favorably to the Cubs fans. They each draw a bandwagon on fair-weather types, fueled by big-media bias.

The Red Sox and Cubs are not the only teams with bandwagon fans, all teams have them.

jenn2080
04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I've never once heard a "Cubs Suck" chant at a Sox game when the Cubs weren't playing. Every team has clueless and idiotic fans, not just the Cubs and Red Sox.

The Red Sox and Cubs are not the only teams with bandwagon fans, all teams have them.

The Sox have plenty after 2005. Chips you must be in the bathroom everytime the Cubs suck chant is started at the Sox games.

DumpJerry
04-05-2007, 05:34 PM
The Sox have plenty after 2005. Chips you must be in the bathroom everytime the Cubs suck chant is started at the Sox games.
:?: I don't hear the chant either at Sox games. I never see Chips in the Mens' room. Not even at Crosstown Classic games (why state the obvious?).

chitownhawkfan
04-05-2007, 05:44 PM
It would be comparable to Sox fans chanting "Indians Suck!" at a White Sox-Blue Jays game in Toronto. I have never heard Cubs Suck at a non Cubs game, and if I did I would ask the yobbos what the hell are you chanting about.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
04-05-2007, 07:40 PM
You're right, though I have heard the "Cubs Suck" chant after a game on the way back to the parking lot

Chips
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM

:?: I don't hear the chant either at Sox games. I never see Chips in the Mens' room. Not even at Crosstown Classic games (why state the obvious?).

You're right, though I have heard the "Cubs Suck" chant after a game on the way back to the parking lot

Sorry folks, I thought the teal was implied. Sox fans can be just as dumb as other teams fans. I've heard the "Cubs Suck" plenty of time at The Cell when the Cubs weren't playing just I've heard the "Packers Suck" chant plenty of times leaving Bears games this season.

Fenway
04-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't think the Twins, Tigers or Indians obsess about spending money to compete with the Sox. I don't blame Boston for spending money they have, but they shouldn't pretend they are doing it just to compete with NYY. They have plenty of games against other teams too.

True...but they are in the same division as NYY and the goal is to win the division something Boston has not done since 1995.

The whole Bos-NYY thing is insane

Tom Brady yelling "Yankees Suck" during a Patriots parade for example, hockey fans chanting it in Montreal..........

Most Red Sox fans hate it but.....

JB98
04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
The singer from "The Academy Is" indicated, "**** the Cubs," during the band's performance at the Cell before Wednesday's game. He must be an "idiot fan." :cool:

itsnotrequired
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM

But by putting together a team that can compete with the Yankees, they by default are putting together a team that can compete with anyone. What should they do, field a team that is geared toward beating the Orioles?

FedEx227
04-05-2007, 09:41 PM

Same, plenty of times heading down the ramps it's been busted out.

LongLiveFisk
04-05-2007, 09:43 PM
The singer from "The Academy Is" indicated, "**** the Cubs," during the band's performance at the Cell before Wednesday's game. He must be an "idiot fan." :cool:

Hell no. I work with his dad. :D:

HotelWhiteSox
04-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Maybe around 2002. Don't think anyone at the park cares about the Cubs anymore. And if someone brought them up plenty would be on their case about it. It was on the outoftown scoreboard that they lost and no one even mentioned it, as it should be

RealMenWearBlack
04-06-2007, 12:04 AM

I didn't hear that. That's pretty funny. I had never heard of them before, but I thought they were good.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 12:49 AM
But by putting together a team that can compete with the Yankees, they by default are putting together a team that can compete with anyone. What should they do, field a team that is geared toward beating the Orioles?

At the prices the Red Sox now charge they can't allow a rebuilding period.

The bubble has to burst and when it does it will be ugly

oeo
04-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I remember a game in 2005, we were playing the D'Backs. Contreras got shelled early, and there were then, "Detroit Sucks," chants in the upperdeck.

I don't know if that's a good comparison, though, because Detroit does in fact suck.

IndianWhiteSox
04-06-2007, 05:41 AM
People do not like them. There is no secret in that. It does not make sense but who cares. Comparing it to Cubs fans is a pretty bad one.

Considering the fact that the majority of both teams fanbases are filled with more "sheep" than actual baseball fans and the fact that they treat their old stadium like a shrine, it's not a far stretch.

Off topic:

I could see a day when an NL team moves into Boston due to the fact that the craze for baseball there is insane.

The Critic
04-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Considering the fact that the majority of both teams fanbases are filled with more "sheep" than actual baseball fans and the fact that they treat their old stadium like a shrine, it's not a far stretch.

Off topic:

I could see a day when an NL team moves into Boston due to the fact that the craze for baseball there is insane.

Maybe the Braves?
:D:

and for what it's worth, I'd lump the people who wear "Sux" shirts at Wrigley and "Cubs Magic Number 911" shirts at USCF for non-crosstown games into the "idiot fan" category.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Off topic:

This hasn't gotten much national play yet but there is a curious case pending in US District Court in Boston.

Eddie Andleman a talk show host in Boston has bought the "franchise" of the old Worcester team in the National League which was "suspended" back in the 1800's... The paper work from the time indicates that the NL would allow Worcester back into the league when they felt they could field a team and there is no time deadline.

Sounds like a pie in the sky situation but courts have a way of making weird rulings

dcb56
04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I remember a game in 2005, we were playing the D'Backs. Contreras got shelled early, and there were then, "Detroit Sucks," chants in the upperdeck.

I don't know if that's a good comparison, though, because Detroit does in fact suck.

That's odd considering Detroit was not only under the radar, but completely off of it until last season.

After the Crede walkoff game vs. Cleveland in September 2005, people were yelling "Cleveland sucks!" as I was walking down the ramps. About halfway down the "Cleveland sucks" chant slowly morphed to "Green Bay sucks." Not even the same sport! The whole "Insert City/Team Name Here Sucks" is about as low as you can go in the realm of clever insults, though unfortunately I don't think there is a fanbase out there that is completely immune from it.

This hasn't gotten much national play yet but there is a curious case pending in US District Court in Boston.

Eddie Andleman a talk show host in Boston has bought the "franchise" of the old Worcester team in the National League which was "suspended" back in the 1800's... The paper work from the time indicates that the NL would allow Worcester back into the league when they felt they could field a team and there is no time deadline.

Sounds like a pie in the sky situation but courts have a way of making weird rulings

Holy smoke, that's friggin brilliant! How much did he pay for this "franchise"? $20?

INSox56
04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
It's all about scouting. Look at how good the indians/tigers/twins are looking right now. All because of their scouting, they've got SO MANY good prospects coming in that they don't have to spend a lot. You have good scouts, you save money and rake in talent. There's a reason that KW put the pressure on his scouts and our system is somewhat depleted...our scouting has sucked really badly.

doublem23
04-06-2007, 05:58 PM
It's all about scouting. Look at how good the indians/tigers/twins are looking right now. All because of their scouting, they've got SO MANY good prospects coming in that they don't have to spend a lot. You have good scouts, you save money and rake in talent. There's a reason that KW put the pressure on his scouts and our system is somewhat depleted...our scouting has sucked really badly.

How many games did Cleveland win last year? 78?

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Holy smoke, that's friggin brilliant! How much did he pay for this "franchise"? $20?

Ya it is brilliant.....

The Worcester Brown Stockings disbanded in 1882 and were replaced by the Philadelphia Phillies but interestingly enough, when the club folded, the city of Worcester (along with the city of Troy,NY whose rival Troy Trojans were also contracted) received a letter signed by all of the owners in the National League promising that, when the financial problems that had forced the contraction were resolved, that a new team would be placed in Worcester, Massachusetts. No major league baseball team has called Worcester home since then.

Like I said it might be a pie in the sky but when you go to court anything can happen

skottyj242
04-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Holy Cubsession Batman.

Fenway
04-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I was at a Tigers-Red Sox game last summer in Detroit where fans were chanting White Sox Suck

There are stupid fans everywhere