PDA

View Full Version : InDemand to carry Extra Innings!!!

Jjav829
04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Yes, I'm starting a new thread on this because the other one is near 500 and this is GREAT news!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Extra Innings will be on InDemand for the next 7 years!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Major League Baseball announced today that iN DEMAND has entered into a seven-year agreement in principle to carry the MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription package of out-of-market games and will distribute the MLB Channel, which is scheduled to launch in January 2009.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070404&content_id=1879904&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)
YES!!!:bandance::bandance:

Over By There
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
:hawk
Yyyyyyyes!

:gulp:

Jjav829
04-04-2007, 09:27 PM
So, all of you cable subscribers, are you calling immediately to try to order? If so, please post here what response you get from the CSR (if you're able to order right away, if they tell you to call back tomorrow, etc.).

An InDemand spokesperson said the other day that they could be ready within an hour of completing an agreement to start distributing EI. :smile:

TheOldRoman
04-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I didn't read the article, but is there any news on Dish Network?

Jjav829
04-04-2007, 09:30 PM

Nothing yet, but hopefully completing this deal will lead to a deal being completed with Dish Network.

Also, a person in Sacramento claims EI is back on Comcast Sacramento already with a free preview until they get the codes worked out. Nothing in Chicago yet, but here's hoping that it's on in time for me to watched Harden's season debut which I have been anticipating. :gulp:

delben91
04-04-2007, 09:30 PM

The article only mentioned DirecTv and iNDemand. No mention of Dish Network. :(:

Over By There
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
So, all of you cable subscribers, are you calling immediately to try to order? If so, please post here what response you get from the CSR (if you're able to order right away, if they tell you to call back tomorrow, etc.).

An InDemand spokesperson said the other day that they could be ready within an hour of completing an agreement to start distributing EI. :smile:

I tried calling but of course they are closed for the evening. That's the great service I'm accustomed to!

My wife has the TV tied up with last night's American Idol, but I plan to investigate whether there's a freee trial later...

NDSox12
04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Wow, great news! I'm wondering if Cox is going to revoke their MLB.tv refund offer. I certainly hope not, because I'm loving this Mosaic thing and would like to have both this and Extra Innings.

04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
So why is Dish Network shutout with this whole ordeal?

Jjav829
04-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, I called Comcast and the CSR I spoke to hadn't heard about the new deal. He informed me that InDemand isn't offering EI this year, and I told him about the press release from MLB. He said he would do some research into it. I'm still hoping that Comcast will simply turn it on and have the free preview running soon. :praying:

Jjav829
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM
So why is Dish Network shutout with this whole ordeal?

I don't think it's official that Dish Network is getting shut out just yet. The deal with InDemand might lay the groundwork for a deal with Dish to get done relatively soon.

Domeshot17
04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
How do you order EI? Like, being in chicago I more want it just because theres pretty much always a game on, cool to watch the important games down the stretch run. Does it get charged to your credit card, put on your comcast bill, is it monthly or all upfront.

HotelWhiteSox
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
So we get a full week preview starting from scratch right? :cool:

And when does the regular cable package increase start? :duck:

gf2020
04-04-2007, 10:36 PM
What channels are EI usually on?

Jjav829
04-04-2007, 10:38 PM
What channels are EI usually on?

461-470 on Comcast. They are sharing space with the NHL package. They also added channels 477-480 this year.

I don't have anything yet, but others with Comcast in or around Chicago are already getting EI.

Is anyone here getting EI yet?

Jjav829
04-04-2007, 10:40 PM
How do you order EI? Like, being in chicago I more want it just because theres pretty much always a game on, cool to watch the important games down the stretch run. Does it get charged to your credit card, put on your comcast bill, is it monthly or all upfront.

All upfront and put on your bill, though you might be able to charge it, as well.

So we get a full week preview starting from scratch right? :cool:

And when does the regular cable package increase start? :duck:

It seems like the preview will probably run through Monday at least. No idea yet whether or not there will be a discount.

CLR01
04-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Fantastic. One less thing for people to whine about here. :thumbsup: I wonder what Kerry will waste time on now.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Teddy Greenstein's column on this:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070404tvpackage,1,1714501.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
04-05-2007, 12:10 AM
This is great news!!! :supernana: :supernana:

Here in Phoenix, Cox Communications is the main cable provider and so far, there's nothing on tv (preview channel) or on the Cox website about it. :?:

You can bet though that I'll be calling first thing in the morning when they open.

Over By There
04-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I heard on Mike & Mike this morning that inDemand will be doing a free preview through next Wednesday, if I heard correctly. As of last night, the EI channels were still not showing up on my cable box, but I'm really hoping to see the Sox game tonight... :praying:

krohnjw
04-05-2007, 09:33 AM

I called Time Warner to get my extra receiver and EI today. The guy said it wasn't available but went and spoke to a manger after I informed him of last night's decision. He said it was still pending with Time Warner, so they couldn't sign me up yet. I will try back again tomorrow :cool:

Edit: No EI preview yet either...hopefully that comes through today :D:

SoxfaninLA
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I attempted to call Time Warner last night to order and was hung up on three times, gotta love that customer service. I am planning on calling them later this morning, hopefully they will be up and running for the game tomorrow :smile:

Steelrod
04-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I attempted to call Time Warner last night to order and was hung up on three times, gotta love that customer service. I am planning on calling them later this morning, hopefully they will be up and running for the game tomorrow :smile:
Maybe in fact, that type of communication was also the problem at higher levels, leading to where they are at!

Law11
04-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Just talked to them and we will get the free preview starting tonight at 7pm CDT.
They dont have the package in their systems yet because they figured they lost the bid. They said by the weekend you can buy the full package at a rate of 159.00.

WOO-HOO!!
:supernana:

Jjav829
04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I heard on Mike & Mike this morning that inDemand will be doing a free preview through next Wednesday, if I heard correctly. As of last night, the EI channels were still not showing up on my cable box, but I'm really hoping to see the Sox game tonight... :praying:

The Sox play this afternoon...:?:

And my EI on Comcast is now up and running! I can't wait to start using it! :bandance:

Fenway
04-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Good now I don't have to cut down a 200 year old tree

The only people screwed now are Dish Network owners

It isn't well know but a major stockholder in inDemand is one Don King who merged his pay per view network into the inDemand system

Law11
04-05-2007, 11:57 AM
"Only in America"

champagne030
04-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Just talked to them and we will get the free preview starting tonight at 7pm CDT.
They dont have the package in their systems yet because they figured they lost the bid. They said by the weekend you can buy the full package at a rate of 159.00.

WOO-HOO!!
:supernana:

Does/will Comcast carry the "Superfan" IE package? That includes some HD games, game mix channel and the strike zone channel (highlights).

Law11
04-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I dont think so. AT least not in years past..

Rocky Soprano
04-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Since DirecTV signed an exclusive deal with MLB, wouldnt this piss them off? Or how does that work?

Fenway
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
My wife tells me that Extra Innings appeared last night around 10 PM on Comcast Boston she caught Bonds HR by accident

Chicken Dinner
04-05-2007, 12:39 PM
The only people screwed now are Dish Network owners

They'll be merging with DTV soon :o:

04-05-2007, 12:50 PM

Any truth to that?

I HATE DISH NETWORK AND THE CONTRACT I AM IN! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

SoxfaninLA
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I just got off the phone with Time Warner and they are trying to tell me that they are still in negotiations and I can only view the games on the internet :rolleyes:
I will just have to try again this afternoon, I really hope it is up by tomorrow, I want to watch us smack the Twinkies around.

AZChiSoxFan
04-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I just got off the phone with Time Warner and they are trying to tell me that they are still in negotiations and I can only view the games on the internet :rolleyes:

This is such B.S. Earlier this week, InDemand said that it would only take them an hour to have the games ready, once they reached a deal. Now, you call your cable company and you get answers like this.

I hate calling the cable compnay because you have to move up about 3 levels from the first person you talk to, to get anyone who has a clue. It was the same when I had Directv.

MeteorsSox4367
04-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I think I just found a great belated birthday gift for a baseball geek like me. I just got digital cable a few months ago and am thrilled as can be that now I can watch the Pirates and Nationals. Really.

doublem23
04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Hmmm... I hope Insight got in on this deal, too.

ewokpelts
04-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Since DirecTV signed an exclusive deal with MLB, wouldnt this piss them off? Or how does that work?Directv's new owners are the breaves new owners. the braves now get more money out of this deal.

Over By There
04-05-2007, 04:57 PM
The Sox play this afternoon...:?:
:bandance:

I realized this later, of course. I was looking at the schedule yesterday and I think I mistook tomorrow's game as today's. Tomorrow is a night game, IIRC.

SoxfaninLA
04-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Another unsuccessful call to Time Warner. They told me to call back tomorrow because the package is not available today. So much for that whole having the system ready to go within hours of coming to an agreement. Not too big of a deal though, considering the Sox already played. I just hope Time Warner can get their act together in time to get it activated for the game tomorrow.

HotelWhiteSox
04-05-2007, 06:55 PM
The free preview must be on, since I am getting access to the NHL package, they share channels right?

EDIT:Games on 479 and 480, nice

Chisox353014
04-05-2007, 08:50 PM
The free preview must be on, since I am getting access to the NHL package, they share channels right?

EDIT:Games on 479 and 480, nice

I'm also getting the NHL games, although they might have always been there for all I know. I don't exactly follow the NHL anymore. I noticed that the Hawks home game is the only one that's not coming in. Even a free trial is too expensive for Dollar Bill Wirtz.

The MLB games seem to be on 477-480 for the moment, the NHL channels start at 461. This is Comcast, BTW.

Fenway
04-05-2007, 08:53 PM

not likely

The FCC shot it down a few years ago

FarWestChicago
04-05-2007, 11:33 PM
not likely

The FCC shot it down a few years agoChicken Dinner rarely lets facts get in the way of a nonsensical post. :D:

krohnjw
04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I called Time Warner this morning and they have the package available to add!

On a side note I had to cancel it today...I am having a second receiver delivered on Monday but that receiver won't have EI if I activate today...and I will be billed $160 for adding the additional receiver :rolleyes: I told the woman that was a laughably bad design but there was nothing she can do supposedly....so I will wait until monday :(:

downstairs
04-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Ok... I'm very confused.

Wasn't the whole point of this that DirecTV negotiated an exclusive? Why would DirecTV sign an "exclusive" contract that allows MLB to shop the programs back to other competetors? Isn't that the antithesis of "exclusive"?

And if the deal wasn't "exclusive", then what was all this wheeling and dealing about? If everyone that had EI gets EI back again, what's the difference from the deals that existed last year?

End result- I know everyone hates an "exclusive" deal, but exclusive deals are exactly what a DirecTV needs to stay on top... why would they sign any other deal?

krohnjw
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Apparently it wasn't exclusive :?:

The difference is that now the carriers of EI have to ALSO carry the baseball channel and provide it to customers. As a result they get some equity in the Baseball channel along with MLB.

I think it was supposed to be exclusive until the customers who got jobbed started making noise and everyone got involved.

ewokpelts
04-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Ok... I'm very confused.

Wasn't the whole point of this that DirecTV negotiated an exclusive? Why would DirecTV sign an "exclusive" contract that allows MLB to shop the programs back to other competetors? Isn't that the antithesis of "exclusive"?

And if the deal wasn't "exclusive", then what was all this wheeling and dealing about? If everyone that had EI gets EI back again, what's the difference from the deals that existed last year?

End result- I know everyone hates an "exclusive" deal, but exclusive deals are exactly what a DirecTV needs to stay on top... why would they sign any other deal?

Remember Spaceballs?
When barf asks why they are risking thier necks to save the princess, lonestar replies "We're not doing this for the money....we're doing it for A ****LOAD OF MONEY!"

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Apparently it wasn't exclusive :?:

The difference is that now the carriers of EI have to ALSO carry the baseball channel and provide it to customers. As a result they get some equity in the Baseball channel along with MLB.

I think it was supposed to be exclusive until the customers who got jobbed started making noise and everyone got involved.

Yep. Extra Innings was exclusive to DirecTV because only DirecTV offered to give MLB access to 100 percent of its audience with basic-level service for the new Baseball Channel launching in 2009. This matter got covered by the Wall Street Journal on the editorial page last Tuesday on the headline "Water Boys"

As the baseball season opens, the year's first outrage is not about steroids, salaries or even spitballs. The s-word here is Senate, where John Kerry and Arlen Specter have been trying to mess with a broadcast deal between Major League Baseball and DirecTV, ostensibly because it will deprive sports fans of their right to watch dozens of games a week when and where they want to.

But this is no case of righteous sluggers going to bat for the little man. It would be more accurate to describe the Senators as water boys for Big Cable in their hometowns of Boston and Philadelphia.

What's at issue is Major League Baseball's right -- in a free-enterprise economy -- to package and market its products. In this case, the product is a package called "Extra Innings," which last year attracted about half a million cable and satellite subscribers who could afford $179 annually for the kick of having access to some 60 out-of-market games a week. MLB offers a similar deal via its Web site, MLB.TV, where customers can watch up to six games simultaneously on their computer screen.

In 2009, however, MLB plans to start its own Baseball Channel, and so it's been shopping for partners with two goals in mind. One is to get broadcast expertise and risk-sharing for the always-expensive launch of a new channel. MLB also wanted a commitment from carriers to transmit the Baseball Channel to 80% of their digital subscribers.

To make a long story short, DirecTV stepped up to the plate and met MLB's terms -- while InDemand, the consortium of cable giants Comcast, Time Warner and Cox, along with Echostar's Dish TV, did not. Last month, MLB announced that, as of April 1, "Extra Innings" would be broadcast exclusively on DirectTV, which would also have 20% equity in the new Baseball Channel.

Sore losers InDemand and Echostar ran to Congress. They found eager ears on Senators Kerry and Specter, who happen to represent cities which are Comcast's (headquartered in Philadelphia) biggest strongholds. Mr. Kerry asked for, and got, a letter from politically sensitive FCC Chairman Kevin Martin, whining in tune with him about how disturbing it is when viewers don't have the maximum numbers of choices.

The went on to note that access to every baseball game is not a human right, and even if that were Kerry's and Specter's concern, they should start in their own backyard where access to local games in Philadelphia for the Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers are only available to customers of Comcast through their sister network Comcast Sports Network.

And they note that cable is not a weak sister in danger of being crushed by smaller DirecTV, but rather that these two senators were simply doing the bidding of a dominant business to keep a strangehold on the marketplace and prevent real choice for consumers.

So congratulations to those of you with non-DirecTV access to Extra Innings. You can send all your "thank yous" to DirecTV for providing the ONLY LEVERAGE you had against your own cable providers who refused to offer you the Baseball Channel until they were absolutely forced to.

Keep sending them your checks. You deserve them as much as they deserve you.
:cool:

AZChiSoxFan
04-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Yep. Extra Innings was exclusive to DirecTV because only DirecTV offered to give MLB access to 100 percent of its audience with basic-level service for the new Baseball Channel launching in 2009. This matter got covered by the Wall Street Journal on the editorial page last Tuesday on the headline "Water Boys"

The went on to note that access to every baseball game is not a human right, and even if that were Kerry's and Specter's concern, they should start in their own backyard where access to local games in Philadelphia for the Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers are only available to customers of Comcast through their sister network Comcast Sports Network.

And they note that cable is not a weak sister in danger of being crushed by smaller DirecTV, but rather that these two senators were simply doing the bidding of a dominant business to keep a strangehold on the marketplace and prevent real choice for consumers.

So congratulations to those of you with non-DirecTV access to Extra Innings. You can send all your "thank yous" to DirecTV for providing the ONLY LEVERAGE you had against your own cable providers who refused to offer you the Baseball Channel until they were absolutely forced to.

:rolleyes:

It seems rather obvious what happened here. MLB never intended for EI to be exclusive to Directv. Why would MLB keep extending the 3/31 deadline? The only logical reason is because they wanted the additional subscription revenue that came with EI being on cable. From the start, this whole thing was about the baseball channel. MLB knew they had to stage this whole charade to get the baseball channel where they wanted it. MLB knew they could count on Directv to play the part of the fool, in helping them get what they wanted all along.

When you say that people like me should thank Directv for the leverage, you are missing the fact that Directv got conned in all of this. They really thought that they were signing on to be the exclusive provider. :rolling: They don't even know they just got used as a pawn by MLB, for MLB to still provide EI to everybody who had it last year, increase rights fees, and get the baseball channel on everyone's basic package.

One last thing regarding your last comment. I'm perfectly happy with Cox Cable. While those with Directv were forced to pay for the NCAA tourney package, Cox cable in Phoenix provided the same thing (all out of market tourney games) for free!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
When you say that people like me should thank Directv for the leverage, you are missing the fact that Directv got conned in all of this. They really thought that they were signing on to be the exclusive provider. They don't even know they just got used as a pawn by MLB, for MLB to still provide EI to everybody who had it last year, increase rights fees, and get the baseball channel on everyone's basic package.

I completely agree DirecTV got jobbed. It was me that wrote about this very point weeks ago. Don't you remember?

I stated that I know of plenty of companies unlike DirecTV that would have told MLB to go **** themselves for shopping their winning bid to all of DirecTV's closest competitors. MLB shopped the deal! They even admitted as much when DuPuy stated inDemand only needed to MATCH the offer DirecTV already made. How is that for a partner?

MLB has NO leverage without DirecTV's offer. You as a cable subscriber have NO leverage without DirecTV's offer. InDemand was going to **** you over -- but you're still attempting to bury your head about the plain obvious point.
:o:

If DirecTV tells MLB to go **** themselves, you don't get The Baseball Channel. And there isn't one damned thing John Kerry or Arlen Specter could have done for you either!

You can start thanking DirecTV anytime now. Or just stay ignorant and keep happily sending your checks to Cox.

You deserve it, pal.

Jurr
04-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I completely agree DirecTV got jobbed. It was me that wrote about this very point weeks ago. Don't you remember?

I stated that I know of plenty of companies unlike DirecTV that would have told MLB to go **** themselves for shopping their winning bid to all of DirecTV's closest competitors. MLB shopped the deal! They even admitted as much when DuPuy stated inDemand only needed to MATCH the offer DirecTV already made. How is that for a partner?

MLB has NO leverage without DirecTV's offer. You as a cable subscriber have NO leverage without DirecTV's offer. InDemand was going to **** you over -- but you're still attempting to bury your head about the plain obvious point.
:o:

If DirecTV tells MLB to go **** themselves, you don't get The Baseball Channel. And there isn't one damned thing John Kerry or Arlen Specter could have done for you either!

You can start thanking DirecTV anytime now. Or just stay ignorant and keep happily sending your checks to Cox.

You deserve it, pal.
I get your point, but I'm just glad I can get EI over cable. Bought it last night. Our apartment doesn't have the proper view for the dish, or we would've made that move a long time ago.

I thought the deal made with Direct TV was going to stick, due mainly to the fact that the NFL has been able to pull it off for years. Legally, it makes no sense that Direct TV could own NFL rights but not exclusive MLB rights. I kept hearing all of this anti-trust crap, but never did I see the NFL mentioned.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I thought the deal made with Direct TV was going to stick, due mainly to the fact that the NFL has been able to pull it off for years. Legally, it makes no sense that Direct TV could own NFL rights but not exclusive MLB rights. I kept hearing all of this anti-trust crap, but never did I see the NFL mentioned.

Congress puts its nose into MLB because the U.S. Supreme Court long ago made a nonsensical statement that baseball is a pastime, not a business. That's what made that Penn State law professor's testimony on Capitol Hill 2 weeks ago so amusing. He was actually making a case for Congress to revoke the anti-trust exemption the Supreme Court made back in the 20's -- as if this matter was about BASEBALL's anti-competitive behavior, not INDEMAND'S!
:roflmao:

Seriously, I'M GLAD everyone who had MLB Extra Innings will (in theory) still be able to get it from their old provider. But the notion that Congress and inDemand made it so is to completely overlook the plain obvious points to how negotiations actually played out.

At least you get it. That's more than I can say for others here.

Fenway
04-06-2007, 11:24 AM
:roflmao:

Seriously, I'M GLAD everyone who had MLB Extra Innings will (in theory) still be able to get it from their old provider. But the notion that Congress and inDemand made it so is to completely overlook the plain obvious points to how negotiations actually played out.

At least you get it. That's more than I can say for others here.

And a tree lives in Boston :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
And a tree lives in Boston :smile:

LOL! Good one!!!
:thumbsup:

We ought to move that tree to Cooperstown, The Tree that saved Baseball!

Whoops... that won't work. I guess we'll just have to move Cooperstown to your tree.
:wink:

krohnjw
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM

Some of us have little choice. My apartment building structure and the surrounding area preclude me from having a sat. dish installed. So as much as I can't stand Time Warner's rates (Almost $100 for basic cable + internet) if I want out of market baseball this is my only viable option. I've been using MLB.TV for the last 2 years but it just isn't cutting the mustard.

CLR01
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
But the notion that Congress and inDemand made it so is to completely overlook the plain obvious points to how negotiations actually played out.

I give a little credit to Kerry. Without that charade on the 27th Jacobson would probably still be running around thinking the government was going to do something to help his cause. But the hearing was held and it became obvious to everyone it was just for show and it forced inDemand to cave on the MLB channel.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I give a little credit to Kerry. Without that charade on the 27th Jacobson would probably still be running around thinking the government was going to do something to help his cause. But the hearing was held and it became obvious to everyone it was just for show and it forced inDemand to cave on the MLB channel.

It's an interesting point. InDemand clearly caved by offering more than they ever had been willing to offer before. I'm not sure how Kerry and Specter might have reacted had inDemand dug in their heels and refused to cut a deal, but I GUARANTEE the wider Congress would have laughed off the entire matter. That was the point the WSJ editorial was making, too...

On the bright side, while baseball officials continued to talk with InDemand and Echostar yesterday [Monday, April 2], the League has stood firm so far -- asserting its right to do honest business without government interference, and pointing out that it has offered every interested party a fair bite of the pie. Perhaps that's why, for all the spotlights baseball attracts, most of Congress seems uninterested in butting into a private commercial deal.

Perhaps Jacobson finally saw the hand-writing on the wall, but I'm sure there were plenty of political advisers besides John Kerry willing to offer free advice to the inDemand chairman. "This is as good as it's going to get for you, my friend."

Domeshot17
04-06-2007, 02:57 PM
I think the entire thing sucks pretty much. Baseball and Indemand and Directv were all fighting to basically screw over the baseball fan, it was all about money, but from a strictly business standpoint I understand the move on all sides. While I don't agree with comcast (and probably will be going dish next time I move to an apartment building that has dish capabilities) I alightly understand the fear of the baseball channel. A new Channel is always a risk, and by offering to match a percentage, and not a set number, Indemand is at risk for much more then Direct TV is. If I was company A and I had 100 viewers, its easy for me to offer 100%, where company b has 100,000 (and yah I know these numbers are really dumbed down) its a much bigger risk.

One of my college professors has asked me to write a case study on this over the summer for one of his courses next year, so this info is great research for it.