PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK for me to root for the Peoria Chiefs?

doublem23
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
OK, so here's the scenario... I live in Peoria, IL and our local team, the Chiefs, are the Cubs' A-ball affiliate. So, of course, my Cub-ified friends are giving me grief about cheering for the Chiefs because they say, "it's like you're cheering for the Cubs."

I personally think they're full of crap, but it got me thinking just a bit. Of course, I have no real emotional attachment to the Chiefs, but since they're the home town team, I'd prefer they be good since I'm going to probably go about 20-30 of their games this year again.

On a side note, their logo is atrocious now that they're in the Cubs org as opposed to when they were a Cardinals affiliate.

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/brands/0005/8462/brand.gif http://www.cubshub.com/images/articles/20060929043832243_1.gif

Can't beat that borderline racist one though!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/images/f/f5/PeoriaChiefs.jpg

santo=dorf
04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
I live near Des Moines, and I'm not going to root for the local team.

sox1970
04-04-2007, 07:08 PM
They're Cubs in training. I say no.

BadBobbyJenks
04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Yep they are future cubbies, I couldnt do it

getonbckthr
04-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I truly do not see a problem in it. They are your local team. Who gives a rats-ass if they are the Cub minor league team. I truly am sick and tired of all this Cubs fan therefor must hate SOx and Sox fan must hate all things CUbs. How about this they do not matter to us or our playoff hunt except for the 6 games we play them.

sox1970
04-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I truly do not see a problem in it. They are your local team. Who gives a rats-ass if they are the Cub minor league team. I truly am sick and tired of all this Cubs fan therefor must hate SOx and Sox fan must hate all things CUbs. How about this they do not matter to us or our playoff hunt except for the 6 games we play them.

I agree with you that the banter between Cubs and Sox fans is overdone. It's over. We won first, so that's all that needs to be said. I get tired of Cubs fans at work that still want to talk trash. I enjoy being a Sox fan, and if they want to be Cubs fans, fine- enjoy your team if that's what floats your boat. And it goes for Sox fans that bash the Cubs fans. Let it go, and show them your World Series gear. Ok, rant over.

I just couldn't root for Cubs farm team, but if I lived in Peoria, maybe I would feel different.

peeonwrigley
04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
You can only cheer for them on Thirsty Thursdays.

They still have the $1.50 Coors Lights?

NardiWasHere
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Its not a big deal... I can see either argument....

Here's the question I have- Did you root for the team when it was in the Cards' organization? If so, you're in the clear in my book. If not, its still not a big thing.

DarkHorse35
04-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Root for the Cougars.

BiggestFan14
04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
I see no problem in it. I don't think it matters what minor league team anyone roots for, and especially since none of the Sox affiliates are based anywhere near Illinois.

cleanwsox
04-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Their farm system sucks anyways, they buy their players over grooming their own. Heck look at their starting lineup right now, not a lot of Cub farm hands there. I wouldn't feel bad cheering them on, they'll probably be traded before they wear the blue.

23Ventura
04-04-2007, 11:26 PM
No big deal, it's just A-ball.

doublem23
04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
You can only cheer for them on Thirsty Thursdays.

They still have the $1.50 Coors Lights?

No, they canned that before 2006 because of the incredible amount of underagers they would catch drinking at the games.

They have some kind of deal now, but the beer literally comes in something the size of a Dixie up. If there's no concession stand behind your seating area, you walk off whatever buzz the beer may be building...

Oh, and I forgot to mention the guy running the show this year is

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/plaques/images/Sandberg_Ryne.jpg

CleeFan101
04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
A large majority of that team will never be on the major league team anyways so its not like its a big deal. They are your local team so I dont see any reason why you couldnt root for them.

I wish the whitesox would have their minor league teams as close to the major league team as the cubs do.

He gone
04-06-2007, 05:17 PM
My parents retired down to West Tenn. and are Sox fans. They have rooted for the Diamond Jaxs for the last couple of years. I gave them crap for rooting for the Cubs AA team and they said the same thing, they are rooting for the local team.

I don't have to worry about them rooting for the Cubs AA team this year, because now the Jaxs are the Mariners' AA team :redneck

tick53
04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Hmmm, it is your hometown so no biggy. Follow your heart, I say.

StillMissOzzie
04-07-2007, 04:17 AM
I go to at least 7 Kane County Cougar games a year. They are currently the low A affiliate of the Oakland A's, but in their 16 year history, they were also affiliated with both the Baltimore Orioles and Florida Marlins.

I always cheered for the Cougars regardless of their affiliation.

SMO
:gulp:

pearso66
04-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I rooted for the Lansing Lugnuts when I was up at Michigan State for 4 years. Although the 1 game I rooted against them was when Prior came up and started a game. It's weird, because Prior was easily twice the size of any player playing for either team that game. And the pitcher for the opposing team, had a much better outing than Prior did.

chaerulez
04-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Don't see how anyone could have an issue with this. Minor league affiliations change all the time. The Knights used to be a Indians and Cubs farm team. They even had a Manny bobblehead day last year if I recall correctly.