PDA

View Full Version : Starters

Parrothead
04-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Dark Clouds Unite !

The Spring Training trend continues....the starters are not getting the job done. I don't think it is due to the lighter air here.
:darkclouds:

ShoelessJoeS
04-04-2007, 06:10 PM
:rolleyes:

jenn2080
04-04-2007, 06:16 PM
:whatever: :threadblows: :threadsucks

BiggestFan14
04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't care if each starter loses their first game, it is still way to early.

doublem23
04-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't care if each starter loses their first game, it is still way to early.

It's not that they're losing, they're losing in very ugly fashion. Garland was given a 3-run lead in the 1st inning and then promptly was tagged for 4 runs (before he even recorded and out in the 2nd, I think).

It wouldn't be depressing if the Sox lost 2 close games because hey, you lose... a lot in baseball. But they're getting beat.

That said, only 1.2% of the season has been completed. Lots of time to right the ship.

baaadbobbyjenks
04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
At least let all of our starters get a start in before bashing them.

oeo
04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Garland threw a bad inning. That was it, one inning.

doublem23
04-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Boy that sounds familiar.

sox1970
04-04-2007, 06:51 PM

That's all it takes.

cbotnyse
04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm not saying this is any indication for the rest of the season, but I hate to see this right now. Plenty of time to right the ship, but what a crappy start.

areilly
04-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Boy that sounds familiar.

My thoughts exactly.

And technically, Jose only threw one bad inning Monday...

DMarte708
04-04-2007, 07:10 PM
My thoughts exactly.

And technically, Jose only threw one bad inning Monday...
Is this supposed to be some sort of silver lining?

One bad innings is one inning too much. Santana sure as hell doesn't have bad innings like those of of starters.

MISoxfan
04-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Santana is the best pitcher in all of baseball.

Jurr
04-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Look. In a game that's played in snow flurries, pitching is a wash. The main aspect of MLB pitching is the fingertips. It's a known. You get all of your command and break by the way your fingertips press on a ball. If you're doing well in a situation where your extremities are all freezing, you're lucky. If you're getting creamed, it figures. Nobody pitched exceptionally well, save Aardsma, and that was just because he was blessed for an inning. He almost gave up a GS the next inning!

Contreras was a different story. He had a terrible game. There's no justification for his performance.

Yes, you can get pissed off all you want, but it's cool. A two game losing streak happens more times in a season than you can imagine, but losing the first two hurts a little more. Understanded.

Give Garland a mulligan for this one. You've got to. Baseball isn't meant for those conditions. Everything is going to be okay.

TDog
04-04-2007, 08:38 PM
If it makes you feel any better, Brandon McCarthy gave up four runs in the first inning of his Rangers debut today.

It's a long season. The best you can do is put together a pitching staff that has a chance to win. Bad pitchers will throw some scoreless innings and good pitchers will get hit hard some days. There's really nothing you can do about it. The best a team can do is assemble a team with the tools to win and go to battle.

This is going to go on just about every day for about six months. If you're panicking now, you're going to have a miserable summer.

Jurr
04-04-2007, 08:40 PM
2 games. 1/82 of a season. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

IlliniSox4Life
04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
As much as it sucks, it's not that big of a deal. Today was really freaking cold, and while I know the Indians had to deal with it to, I can't get that upset for a guy not pitching spectacularly when it was 30 degrees outside.

Give em all a start and if they aren't getting better the second and third time through the rotation, I'd get more concerned.

UserNameBlank
04-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Garland couldn't get the inside strike called and he couldn't get the low strike called. The ump called the outside corner but inconsistently. Jon was forced to be much more careful than normal and try to pick his spots, and he ended up leaving the ball over the heart of the plate because of it. Honestly, a lot of pitchers are going to look like Jon did today. Westbrook isn't a 7ER over 5 or 6 innings type of pitcher either.

IMO, if you blame anyone for anything you blame the team for not bringing AJ home in the bottom of the 8. With a man on second and nobody out in a one-run game, you absolutely have to advace that runner and score him. Iguchi failed the bunt attempt and no one could get that clutch basehit, and because of that the Sox lost. Today was one of those games the offense will have to carry. And despite the Santana comments, even Johan would have looked bad today with that strikezone.

Parrothead
04-05-2007, 12:54 AM
As much as it sucks, it's not that big of a deal. Today was really freaking cold, and while I know the Indians had to deal with it to, I can't get that upset for a guy not pitching spectacularly when it was 30 degrees outside.

Give em all a start and if they aren't getting better the second and third time through the rotation, I'd get more concerned.

They have been through a few times already....it is called spring training and they all were very bad there.

IlliniSox4Life
04-05-2007, 04:56 AM
They have been through a few times already....it is called spring training and they all were very bad there.:chickenlittle

:rolleyes:

Most of the starters improved over Spring training. Garland gave up 4 ER in 7IP his last start. Not amazing, but not bad. Burls gave up 2ER in 7IP, Vazquez gave up 4 in 6 2/3. Danks had a bad last start, but he was pitching well before then (see: earned a spot in the rotation). I don't know Contreras' last start off hand, but I seem to remember him improving over ST.

Not to mention starting in ST is not the same as starting in a real game.

Grzegorz
04-05-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm not saying this is any indication for the rest of the season, but I hate to see this right now. Plenty of time to right the ship, but what a crappy start.

I know you didn't mean it this way but last year the meme was that all the Chicago White Sox had to do was "flip the switch".

Well, you play like you practice. The starting pitching coming out of spring training was not very good. So, I am not surprised with the early results.

Is it early? Yes it is early. Is it too early to put yourself in a hole? No, it is never too early to put yourself in a hole.

Buehrle has to pitch a tremendous game today. Getting swept by the Tribe (or the 'Toons' as they're known in these parts) would be a very bad way to start the season. (as I cite the obvious).