PDA

View Full Version : Will Hawk be in Oakland in time on April 10th????

Fenway
04-04-2007, 10:40 AM
The Red Sox announced that Hawk will be part of the Opening Day tribute to the 1967 Red Sox on April 10th.

Given that the White Sox are playing in Oakland that night he will be cutting it close.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070403&content_id=1877386&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

crazyozzie02
04-04-2007, 10:43 AM
i doubt it. they will probably have someone fill in for him for that game. Someone like Robin or Black Jack would be nice again and i believe that they live on the west coast

PKalltheway
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
It's all good. Announcers can't make it for every game. If he isn't there on the 10th, he will certainly be there the next day.

sox1970
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Jack McDowell is filling in.

crazyozzie02
04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Jack McDowell is filling in.

source?

PaulDrake
04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Jack McDowell is filling in. I know he said he can't and won't do this full time, but I wish he'd change his mind.

Fenway
04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
people forget that Hawk owned Boston as both a player and an announcer.

Red Sox fired him for being to candid and Carlton Fisk got him hired in Chicago

http://www.bpl.org/store/IMGs/STMedium/tm_st10037.jpg

sox1970
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
source?

It was in the paper this morning. If memory serves, McDowell is doing the whole series.

Madvora
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
source?
Check the bottom of this article called "Partytime for Hawk"
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070403soxbits,1,4854571.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Former Sox right-hander Jack McDowell will fill in for broadcaster Hawk Harrelson next week during the team's three-game series in Oakland. Harrelson will miss the telecasts to participate in the Red Sox's 40th anniversary celebration of their 1967 team, according to a spokesman at Comcast SportsNet.

Mr.1Dog
04-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Is it just me or does Hawk look like Owen Wilson in that picture?:?:

crazyozzie02
04-04-2007, 10:52 AM

one teams trash is another teams treasure:smile:

crazyozzie02
04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Check the bottom of this article called "Partytime for Hawk"
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070403soxbits,1,4854571.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

so im taking it that he is going to miss the entire series?

chisox77
04-04-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm happy for Hawk that he is able to celebrate an event like that due to his accomplishments as a player. To this day, people in Boston think well of him because after the Red Sox acquired him in a trade, Hawk became one of the big reasons why they won the AL flag in 1967 (along with Yazstremski). Hawk had some of his best days as a player in Boston. In fact, he went through one whole season without making an error (playing mostly rightfield).
He didn't hit much for average, but Hawk had good power and RBI numbers when he was healthy.

:cool:

kevingrt
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
The Sox should just hire Steve Stone to be the fifth broadcaster and fill in for whoever is sick, needs a leave, or just needs a day off. I love Stone and he is always great to listen to when watching baseball.

Fenway
04-04-2007, 10:56 AM
one teams trash is another teams treasure:smile:

The irony is......

If Tony Conigliaro doesn't get beaned, Hawk never comes to Boston and becomes a superstar. He wouldn't have been considered to be an announcer for WSBK and would today probably be a golf pro in Florida.....

Rocky Soprano
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM

I actually have a copy of that Sports Illustrated and had Hawk sign it a couple of years ago at Sox Fest.

I told him, Hawk check out this sexy guy. He looked at the cover and said, MERCY! He laughed and signed it for me.

Fenway
04-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Of the players listed to appear I would guess that Hawk will get the second loudest ovation after Yaz

That 67 team saved baseball in New England. Interest in the team was so low at the start of the season that only 8,000 were at Opening Day against the White Sox.

That team stole a game from the White Sox in late August

Josephson lines to right. Berry tags ....Tartabull has a weak arm.. here comes Berry

He is OUT!! He is OUT AT THE PLATE!!!!!!

The late Ken Coleman

WhiteSox5187
04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Of the players listed to appear I would guess that Hawk will get the second loudest ovation after Yaz

That 67 team saved baseball in New England. Interest in the team was so low at the start of the season that only 8,000 were at Opening Day against the White Sox.

That team stole a game from the White Sox in late August

Josephson lines to right. Berry tags ....Tartabull has a weak arm.. here comes Berry

He is OUT!! He is OUT AT THE PLATE!!!!!!

The late Ken Coleman
The fact that the Sox (White, not Red) contended that year when our best hitter hit .241 is amazing. Pitching can cure a multitude of woes.

Fenway
04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
The fact that the Sox (White, not Red) contended that year when our best hitter hit .241 is amazing. Pitching can cure a multitude of woes.

The Red Sox dropped 2 games to Cleveland that final week and everybody thought Chicago had the pennant wrapped up as all they had to play were sad sacks Kansas City and Washington.

It was the most insane pennant race of all time just look at the standings with 5 days to go

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1967/09241967.htm

WhiteSox5187
04-04-2007, 01:24 PM
The Red Sox dropped 2 games to Cleveland that final week and everybody thought Chicago had the pennant wrapped up as all they had to play were sad sacks Kansas City and Washington.

It was the most insane pennant race of all time just look at the standings with 5 days to go

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1967/09241967.htm
I'm well aware of that illfated double header against Kansas City...my dad frequently mentioned it when it looked like the Sox were heading for doom in 2005...wasn't there an error that was caused by a camera well along the first baseline that led to KC scoring a bunch of runs?

Fenway
04-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm well aware of that illfated double header against Kansas City...my dad frequently mentioned it when it looked like the Sox were heading for doom in 2005...wasn't there an error that was caused by a camera well along the first baseline that led to KC scoring a bunch of runs?

Dick Williams often tells the story of sitting in his driveway broken hearted after losing to the Indians and listening to the doubleheader on a Chicago station as he downed 2 six packs and suddenly Boston was alive again.

I laugh when people today call Ortiz the greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history. For 7 weeks after Tony Conigliaro was beaned Yaz played as perfect baseball as any human ever has.

With the divisions and wild card now we will never see anything like 1967 again.

Soxfest
04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
He Gawn

HawkDJ
04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Speaking of the Hawk, has anyone read Ball Four by Jim Bouten? I've been reading it the last few days, and Hawk gets quite a few mentions.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2007, 08:05 PM
According to the newspaper Jack McDowell will replace Hawk for all three Oakland games.

Hawk had the chance to sign with the Sox that season as a free agent after Charlie Finley cut him outright in midseason after Hawk spoke his mind about the state of the A's. The Sox sent GM Ed Short and manager Eddie Stanky to talk to him but he decided Boston gave him the best chance of getting to the World Series and signed with them.

Regarding the comment about the "camera well" costing the Sox a bunch of runs, that actually happened a few days later...

September 29, 1967 - The Sox still have a chance for the pennant before they lose 1- 0 to the Senators. The only run scored whenTommy McCraw wasn’t able to catch a pop up off the bat of Washington’s Fred Valentine in the 1st inning. NBC-TV had erected a barrier for their field level cameras in case the World Series came to Comiskey Park and Valentine’s pop fell into that enclosed area. On the very next pitch Valentine singled driving in the only run which eliminated the "Near Miss" Sox. That season marked the 17th straight that the Sox finished better then .500. It’s the third longest streak in baseball history. (J.C. Martin, Wilbur Wood, Ed Herrmann, Pete Ward and Ken Berry are among the members of the 1967 White Sox who talk about the ‘near miss’ season in their interviews with White Sox Interactive.)

Lip

MILTMAY5
04-05-2007, 12:24 AM

I'd love to know the story behind Fisk getting Hawk hired in Chicago. I always thought they despised each other.

Viva Medias B's
04-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Speaking of Hawk, why was he wearing sunglasses today?

Fenway
04-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd love to know the story behind Fisk getting Hawk hired in Chicago. I always thought they despised each other.

The hate came in 1986 when Hawk decided that Fisk could be like Yogi Berra and play left field ( which was a complete disaster )

However in 1982 Hawk and Fisk had a mutual hatred for Haywood Sullivan who was GM and part owner of the Red Sox.

Sullivan sent out the contracts for the 1981 season on December 22, 1980 ( 2 days after the deadline ) to Fisk and Fred Lynn which allowed Fisk to become a free agent. Hawk who was doing Boston TV at the time went completly nuts over this and said on the air many times that Sullivan did it on purpose to get rid of Fisk to allow his son Marc to become the Red Sox catcher. ( Sullivan batted .180 in 5 years with the Red Sox )

Hawk then called Haywood a moron at the baseball writers dinner and Mrs. Yawkey ordered WSBK to fire him and 2 weeks later he signed with Sportsvision.

My favorite Hawk memory from Boston TV was when he was a last minute fill in for a Bruins-Montreal game at the Forum de Montreal. He was fantastic.

Brian26
04-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Hawk who was doing Boston TV at the time went completly nuts over this and said on the air many times that Sullivan did it on purpose to get rid of Fisk to allow his son Marc to become the Red Sox catcher. ( Sullivan batted .180 in 5 years with the Red Sox )

You learn something new everyday. I never knew Marc Sullivan was the owner's son. I remember him getting a lot of playing time as Gedman's backup in the mid 80's.

Red Barchetta
04-05-2007, 09:55 PM

...and then quickly asked Fisk to play LF when Hawk was made GM so that Joel Skinner could begin his HOF catching career. :o:

MCHSoxFan
04-05-2007, 10:14 PM

Yes he DOES :D: !

chisox77
04-06-2007, 02:45 PM
The Hawk got "Soxxed" up during his baseball career (playing and announcing).

:cool:

TheVulture
04-06-2007, 04:00 PM

I'm pretty sure there's more to life than being really, really ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.

areilly
04-06-2007, 08:21 PM
I know he said he can't and won't do this full time, but I wish he'd change his mind.

I couldn't agree more. As soon as I saw the title of this thread I was hoping McDowell would be filling in. I thought he did a great job a few seasons ago when Hawk was getting his eye worked on, and his knowledge of the game from a pitcher's perspective adds a nice counterpoint to DJ's as a hitter.

Fenway
04-07-2007, 03:20 PM
You learn something new everyday. I never knew Marc Sullivan was the owner's son. I remember him getting a lot of playing time as Gedman's backup in the mid 80's.

Sadly so do I :angry:

Hawk is best remembered in Boston for his relationship with Boston manager Don Zimmer. Hawk saw the 1978 Red Sox collapse coming ( yes a team that won 99 games collapsed ) because Zimmer refused to rest the regulars when they had a huge lead.

In 79 and 80 Harrleson made Zimmer's life a living hell as nothing Zim did was right.

Then Zimmer was fired and replaced by sleepwalking Ralph Houk and then the Fisk fiasco and Hawk just could not stand it anymore.

Sullivan finally lost the support of Jean Yawkey when he continued to support John McNamarra after the 1986 World Series fiasco when Jean fumed "your manager cost me my World Series win"

I can not tell you how much Haywood Sullivan was hated in New England and still is even after his death.

LongLiveFisk
04-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Hawk who was doing Boston TV at the time went completly nuts over this and said on the air many times that Sullivan did it on purpose to get rid of Fisk to allow his son Marc to become the Red Sox catcher.

And we all know how well that worked out. :rolling:

The whole Fisk thing in left field, well let's just say that wasn't one of Hawk's shining moments. I still have memories of sitting down the left field line when Fisk was out there and a bunch of us yelling "Pudge!!". He'd look over and wave and then motion to us to knock it off. I guess in retrospect it probably wasn't a good idea. :redneck