PDA

View Full Version : BA rating of KW

Daver
03-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Ken Williams, Chicago
Hired: October 2000.
College: Stanford.
Playing experience: Third-round pick of White Sox in 1982; played 451 games for White Sox, Tigers, Blue Jays and Expos from 1986-91, hitting .218-27-119.
First baseball job: 1992, White Sox, scout.
W-L Record: 83-79 (.512) in one season.
Connections/Experience: Learned from White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf after promotion from scouting to front office; worked closely with GM Ron Schueler.
Best move: Proposed trade to acquire OF Darin Erstad for RHP Jon Garland, OF Chris Singleton and two minor leaguers in Dec. 2001; Disney Co. nixed the deal.
Worst move: Acquiring LHP David Wells and RHP Matt DeWitt from the Blue Jays for LHP Mike Sirotka, OF Brian Simmons, RHP Kevin Beirne and RHP Mike Williams in Jan. 2001.

RedPinStripes
03-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by daver
Ken Williams, Chicago
Hired: October 2000.
College: Stanford.
Playing experience: Third-round pick of White Sox in 1982; played 451 games for White Sox, Tigers, Blue Jays and Expos from 1986-91, hitting .218-27-119.
First baseball job: 1992, White Sox, scout.
W-L Record: 83-79 (.512) in one season.
Connections/Experience: Learned from White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf after promotion from scouting to front office; worked closely with GM Ron Schueler.
Best move: Proposed trade to acquire OF Darin Erstad for RHP Jon Garland, OF Chris Singleton and two minor leaguers in Dec. 2001; Disney Co. nixed the deal.
Worst move: Acquiring LHP David Wells and RHP Matt DeWitt from the Blue Jays for LHP Mike Sirotka, OF Brian Simmons, RHP Kevin Beirne and RHP Mike Williams in Jan. 2001.

The erstad move would have been good?

OKCSoxFan
03-21-2002, 07:28 PM
His best move was a PROPOSED trade. Nice. Of course, that IS about the best thing he's done...

beausox
03-21-2002, 08:35 PM
His best move was Gary Glover for Scott Eyre.

We traded away a crappy lefty releiver for a young starter

The David Wells trade really turned into a wash so that can't be his worse deal. We still have Royce Clayton trying to pretend like he's a hitter 4 times a game. KW acquired a SS when we already had one and in order to get Royce he gave up a pretty good pitching prospect in Myette. That is his worse deal.

RedPinStripes
03-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by beausox
His best move was Gary Glover for Scott Eyre.

We traded away a crappy lefty releiver for a young starter

I know of 1 person that will disgree with that and it's not me.

Pete_SSAC
03-21-2002, 08:45 PM
BS.

The Erstad thing was NOT his best deal, to me his best deal was one that couldn't have happened if the Erstad thing went down. Singleton for Harris.

Also, The David Wells thing was a wash, if not SLIGHTLY getter for us. Sure, Wells didn't do much for us, but what has Sritoka done for them?

- Pete

baggio202
03-21-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
BS.

The Erstad thing was NOT his best deal, to me his best deal was one that couldn't have happened if the Erstad thing went down. Singleton for Harris.

Also, The David Wells thing was a wash, if not SLIGHTLY getter for us. Sure, Wells didn't do much for us, but what has Sritoka done for them?

- Pete

i agree with BA that the wells - siro deal was the worst move he made..my reasoning is that trade put both gm's integrity into question...ash eventually was fired and i believe williams, in order to make the moves he wants, might have to give up more then he would have had the wells trade not been made...after bud ruled in our favor and kenny had said he had no knowledge of siro being hurt.,...then siro said he told williams himself he was in pain..imo...that really hurt williams credibility with other gm's...no one else is gonna wanna be a victim like ash was so williams is gonna have to sweeten every deal he wants done

LongDistanceFan
03-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

i agree with BA that the wells - siro deal was the worst move he made..my reasoning is that trade put both gm's integrity into question...ash eventually was fired and i believe williams, in order to make the moves he wants, might have to give up more then he would have had the wells trade not been made...after bud ruled in our favor and kenny had said he had no knowledge of siro being hurt.,...then siro said he told williams himself he was in pain..imo...that really hurt williams credibility with other gm's...no one else is gonna wanna be a victim like ash was so williams is gonna have to sweeten every deal he wants done best trade........ jaime navarro to mil.......... worst trade, royce clayton and the LA trade.

Pete_SSAC
03-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
best trade........ jaime navarro to mil.......... worst trade, royce clayton and the LA trade.

Navarro wasn't KW.

Or, I might be trippin' again.

- Pete

DrCrawdad
03-21-2002, 10:53 PM
BS. The Erstad thing was NOT his best deal, to me his best deal was one that couldn't have happened if the Erstad thing went down. Singleton for Harris.

Also, The David Wells thing was a wash, if not SLIGHTLY better for us. Sure, Wells didn't do much for us, but what has Sirotka done for them?

- Pete

It's sad though that what saved KW's ass on that deal was Sirotka's injury. IF Sirotka wasn't hurt and he was pitching for Toronto this year, I'd bet that most be really PO'd.

And as has been mentioned Sirotka is the only player left with Toronto with that trade. Beirne is with LA and he didn't contribute when he was with Toronto. Simmons, well he's back here for now after hitting around .150 last year with Toronto.

If KW had pulled the trigger on the Garland for Erstad deal AND the Wells/Lowe/Fogg trade, geez who'd be around to fill in for Garland?

I don't understand how that deal was so good.

Good trades:
Eyre for Glover
Singleton for Harris
Bradford for Olivo

I think for the most part we all agree on the bad.

- DrCrawdad.

LongDistanceFan
03-21-2002, 10:53 PM

Navarro wasn't KW.

Or, I might be trippin' again.

- Pete you are soooo right........... my bad.

so in that case kw has no "best trade", with some still waiting to see how they turn out.

Vsahajpal
03-21-2002, 11:17 PM
In due time, the best move will be Willie Harris for Chris Singleton.

Chris Singleton!?! what a loser

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
In due time, the best move will be Willie Harris for Chris Singleton.

Chris Singleton!?! what a loser but the question is now, how many trades did you do just to get one right?

OutInLeftField
03-22-2002, 04:54 PM
The third "pitcher" in the LA trade who turned out to be a 30 year old career minor league outfielder was truly a high point. Especially his stupid response of 'Whatever. He wasn't the guy we wanted anyway.'

He has not made a single decent free agent signing while nearly perfecting the multipitcher trade.

I also think we gave up a draft pick to pick up Alomar. That's pretty dumb as well.

He has got to be around a dozen or so trades and the highlight is Glover?

KW was a better player than GM.

RichH55
03-22-2002, 07:30 PM

i agree with BA that the wells - siro deal was the worst move he made..my reasoning is that trade put both gm's integrity into question...ash eventually was fired and i believe williams, in order to make the moves he wants, might have to give up more then he would have had the wells trade not been made...after bud ruled in our favor and kenny had said he had no knowledge of siro being hurt.,...then siro said he told williams himself he was in pain..imo...that really hurt williams credibility with other gm's...no one else is gonna wanna be a victim like ash was so williams is gonna have to sweeten every deal he wants done

I truly truly doubt this to be the case....of course we can argue over it but since there is no real way to know its all academic.....Royce was definately his worst move

kermittheefrog
03-22-2002, 09:08 PM
If you have a chance to read the whole thing not every GM's best move is a trade, some are signings. So I'd saying Kenny's best move was his contract extension for Maggs, locking him up through the rest of his peak for below market value.

Daver
03-22-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If you have a chance to read the whole thing not every GM's best move is a trade, some are signings. So I'd saying Kenny's best move was his contract extension for Maggs, locking him up through the rest of his peak for below market value.

I couldn't post the whole article,but you may be right on that,seeing that Ordonez is arguably the best all around player on the team.

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
If you have a chance to read the whole thing not every GM's best move is a trade, some are signings. So I'd saying Kenny's best move was his contract extension for Maggs, locking him up through the rest of his peak for below market value. how about the signing of sandy a, the the contract that gascan got

Daver
03-22-2002, 09:40 PM
how about the signing of sandy a, the the contract that gascan got

Howry was signed to make it easier to trade him.

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 09:44 PM

Howry was signed to make it easier to trade him. are you serious..........

danman31
03-22-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by OutInLeftField
I also think we gave up a draft pick to pick up Alomar. That's pretty dumb as well.Geez, you aren't the first one to misinterprit this. We didn't give up a draft pick to the Indians for Alomar, we still had pick 16. It's just that the Indians were given a compensation "sandwich" pick. They got pick 35 as compensation, the Sox lost nothing in that signing.

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Geez, you aren't the first one to misinterprit this. We didn't give up a draft pick to the Indians for Alomar, we still had pick 16. It's just that the Indians were given a compensation "sandwich" pick. They got pick 35 as compensation, the Sox lost nothing in that signing. the sox lost their own first rounder which was lower than the first round we got from the fl marlins for signing cj..............

Daver
03-22-2002, 10:11 PM
are you serious..........

When have I ever been not serious? It is much easier to trade a player that is under contract,and Bobby was,and still is trade bait,though his value has dropped considerably.

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 10:12 PM
are you serious.......... hey davers i wasn't trying to be a smartarse, i was serious were you serious about that.

baggio202
03-22-2002, 10:13 PM

Howry was signed to make it easier to trade him.

then how come he wasnt traded???

LongDistanceFan
03-22-2002, 10:18 PM

It is much easier to trade a player that is under contract,and Bobby was,and still is trade bait,though his value has dropped considerably. ok........ with that you are right..

Daver
03-22-2002, 10:19 PM

then how come he wasnt traded???

Is ST over yet?

DrCrawdad
03-22-2002, 11:40 PM
Is ST over yet?

Please let it end.

"It's better to burn out than it is to rust." - Neil Young.

RedPinStripes
03-22-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Please let it end.

"It's better to burn out than it is to rust." - Neil Young.

Bump! lol