PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle will allow the sox to "match any offer"....

jabrch
04-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Mark Buehrle has reportedly told the White Sox that he'll let them match any offer he receives on the free-agent market following the season.

Buehrle wasn't able to work out a long-term deal prior to Opening Day and further talks have ceased, but his leaving Chicago may not be quite the done deal many expect. The Cardinals have long been rumored to be his team of choice.
Source: Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/325544,CST-SPT-soxnt04.article)

That's awesome...Now we have no rush to do anything and can make a decision with full information after the year. That's damn cool of Mark - if this is true.

itsnotrequired
04-04-2007, 08:10 AM
That's awesome...Now we have no rush to do anything and can make a decision with full information after the year. That's damn cool of Mark - if this is true.

Seems like non-news to me. Why wouldn't he accept a matched offer? By all accounts he enjoys playing in Chicago so to not accept a matched offer would be silly.

Accepting less to play here, now that's the ultimate jam.:cool:

WhiteSox5187
04-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Well, I certainly hope its true and it certainly is a classy move by Mark, but I'm not surprised. I think he really does want to stay here. Yes he'd love to pitch for St. Louis, but I think he wants to pitch here more. The question really is does Kenny still want him around? Will he match any offer or is Kenny ready to let him walk?

wdelaney72
04-04-2007, 08:14 AM
This says to me that (as many here expected) Mark wants his payday more than he wants to stay with the Sox. Some team like the Mets, Rangers, or Orioles will offer him an insane amount of money. Kenny will wisely say, "Thanks for the memories, Mark... good luck.".

I find this to actually be sad news. I don't blame Mark for wanting his payday, I just dont' want to hear "oh I really want to stay with the Sox".

voodoochile
04-04-2007, 08:35 AM
This will do one of two things (and possibly both):

Chase off crappy teams who might win with mediocre offers.
Drive up the serious offers he will receive from other teams - after all, the higher the offer the less likely the Sox are to match it.

jdm2662
04-04-2007, 08:35 AM
This says to me that (as many here expected) Mark wants his payday more than he wants to stay with the Sox. Some team like the Mets, Rangers, or Orioles will offer him an insane amount of money. Kenny will wisely say, "Thanks for the memories, Mark... good luck.".

I find this to actually be sad news. I don't blame Mark for wanting his payday, I just dont' want to hear "oh I really want to stay with the Sox".

He's being honost. Sure he would like to stay in Chicago, but he also wants to be paid what he is entitled to. I can't say I blame him. If someone offers him an insane contract, you can't tell him to say no...

jabrch
04-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Seems like non-news to me. Why wouldn't he accept a matched offer? By all accounts he enjoys playing in Chicago so to not accept a matched offer would be silly.

It is news to me. Prior reports had lead us to believe that Mark would be interested in going to STL - regardless of the money. If his first inclination is to stay - that's great. It leaves Kenny in a better position later.

sox1970
04-04-2007, 08:42 AM
It is news to me. Prior reports had lead us to believe that Mark would be interested in going to STL - regardless of the money. If his first inclination is to stay - that's great. It leaves Kenny in a better position later.

False. How many times does the guy have to say publicly that he wants to pitch his whole career in Chicago for the Sox?

He wants to stay, but he also wants a fair deal. If it's an equal deal with anyone else, including the Cardinals, he's staying with the Sox. Period.

Jurr
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
It's all going to depend on Buehrle, which is still a plus for the Sox.

If he has a monster year, the Sox win lots of games and we're happy. That would lead to Buehrle being someone else's lefty next year, most likely.

If he has a down year, we're pissed off, but we probably have a great chance at retaining him. Then you have to ask, "Do we really want him?"

wdelaney72
04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
He's being honost. Sure he would like to stay in Chicago, but he also wants to be paid what he is entitled to. I can't say I blame him. If someone offers him an insane contract, you can't tell him to say no...

He's "kind-of" being honest. He's been offered extensions, but he has chosed to test the free-agent makret. This means what he wants MOST is to test the free agent market and get a contract comparable to his market value. He may "want" to stay with the Sox, but that's not what he wants most. I'm not blaming him for that decision, he has every right to get paid his fair makret value. I'm just not putting much faith in him saying he wants to stay with the Sox when his actions indicate he wants something else more. This last offseason showed that he'll get a ridiculous offer that no sensible GM (i.e. Kenny Williams) should match. (See Marquis, Jason: Zito, Barry, and other starting pitchers).

Jurr
04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
He's "kind-of" being honest. He's been offered extensions, but he has chosed to test the free-agent makret. This means what he wants MOST is to test the free agent market and get a contract comparable to his market value. He may "want" to stay with the Sox, but that's not what he wants most. I'm not blaming him for that decision, he has every right to get paid his fair makret value. I'm just not putting much faith in him saying he wants to stay with the Sox when his actions indicate he wants something else more. This last offseason showed that he'll get a ridiculous offer that no sensible GM (i.e. Kenny Williams) should match. (See Marquis, Jason: Zito, Barry, and other starting pitchers).
That about sums it up. If MB is on the decline, he's only got one chance to cash in, and this is it.

jabrch
04-04-2007, 08:50 AM
False. How many times does the guy have to say publicly that he wants to pitch his whole career in Chicago for the Sox?

He wants to stay, but he also wants a fair deal. If it's an equal deal with anyone else, including the Cardinals, he's staying with the Sox. Period.

I've heard that from so many athletes before that it rings hollow in my ears. However making a committment that he will allow us to match an offer, provided that is true, is a different story than just "wanting to stay". We have never heard him officially say that as long as the money is equal that he'd stay. NEVER

chisox59
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
I don't think the money will be as much of a problem as the length of contract. We all know that Reinsdorf doesn't like pitchers signed to more than 3 years at a time. Someone will probably offer Mark a 5 year deal if he has a good year this year.

sox1970
04-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I've heard that from so many athletes before that it rings hollow in my ears. However making a committment that he will allow us to match an offer, provided that is true, is a different story than just "wanting to stay". We have never heard him officially say that as long as the money is equal that he'd stay. NEVER

I heard him this offseason on White Sox weekly say he would stay with the Sox if the deal is equal.

crazyozzie02
04-04-2007, 08:57 AM
It's all going to depend on Buehrle, which is still a plus for the Sox.

If he has a monster year, the Sox win lots of games and we're happy. That would lead to Buehrle being someone else's lefty next year, most likely.

If he has a down year, we're pissed off, but we probably have a great chance at retaining him. Then you have to ask, "Do we really want him?"

Exactly. Thats why i kinda feel that this is a damned if you do, damned if you dont kinda deal.

soxfanatlanta
04-04-2007, 09:03 AM
He will let them? What does that mean?

KW: "O.K. Mark, we match the 4 year deal that the Mets offered you."

MB: "No you won't"

KW: "What?"

MB: "I won't allow it"

KW: "..."

Letting the Sox match an offer, and actually signing it are two different animals.

Flight #24
04-04-2007, 09:04 AM
It'll be interesting to see what happens. I predict what will actually happen is something along the lines of the Konerko deal - He gets a big offer, the Sox agree to come close, and he has to choose.

jabrch
04-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Letting the Sox match an offer, and actually signing it are two different animals.

Implicit in that statement is that he will stay with the Sox if the money is the same.

NoNeckEra
04-04-2007, 09:09 AM
It's all a mute point if he doesn't return to the MB we all know and love.

sox1970
04-04-2007, 09:10 AM

I think it's a Moo point. It's a cow's opinion.

stl_sox_fan
04-04-2007, 09:13 AM

You mean a moo point. Because it's like a Cow's opinions. I think they will have to match any money PLUS allow Mark to slide on the tarp again during rain delays.
Haven't heard Mark B on 590 here in St Louis for awhile, so maybe that's a good sign. But with the Cards rotation slowly falling apart they might throw ridiculous money at him.

Edit - sox1970 beat me to the punch.

Steelrod
04-04-2007, 09:18 AM
How many other teams gave him the opportunity to be on a box of Wheaties?

soxfanatlanta
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Implicit in that statement is that he will stay with the Sox if the money is the same.

I know that the statement was implicit. I just prefer an explicit one; it's in my nature :smile:

BlackAndWhite
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I think it's a Moo point. It's a cow's opinion.

You mean a moo point. Because it's like a Cow's opinions.
<threadjack>

Ah. Now, the question is: Are you the Friends fans, or does your SO watch it so much that you've absorbed it?

I fall into the latter group.
</threadjack>

chisox77
04-04-2007, 09:48 AM
We'll just have to see how the season plays out, and how MB pitches.

:cool:

kevingrt
04-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Sounds like good news to me. Now lets hope he can throw goose eggs on the mound Thursday and get back to the '05 Burlymon we love and know!

SoxxoS
04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Find your form, Mark. Then worry about the contract.

crazyozzie02
04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Sounds like good news to me. Now lets hope he can throw goose eggs on the mound Thursday and get back to the '05 Burlymon we love and know!

Here Here. I will be there on thursday and if im gonna be freezing my ass off, he better pitch well (even if he doesnt oh well. its my first game of the season):bandance:

thedudeabides
04-04-2007, 10:38 AM

He said exactly this on Mac, Jerko, and Harry on Monday. He also said that St. Louis throws around money less than the Sox, so he wonders why everyone assumes they can afford him.

ondafarm
04-04-2007, 11:25 AM
This is great news and I think reflects where Mark and the Sox have both been all along. MB clearly likes to play in Chicago and the Sox clearly think he'll be very good for a long time. I'm still surprised that Ozzie gave Contreras the opening game start as opposed to Mark or even Jon.

Nellie_Fox
04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
<threadjack>

Ah. Now, the question is: Are you the Friends fans, or does your SO watch it so much that you've absorbed it?

I fall into the latter group.
</threadjack>Thanks for explaining it. I was absolutely stunned that two people could come up with something that stupid simultaneously.

We shouldn't argue about whether it's a mute point or a moo point, since it's all moot anyway.

WhiteSox5187
04-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I really entruly think we're going to see a replay of the Konerko thing here. I think that if the Sox offer a competitive offer to MB, he'll take it. Remember, the Angels offered more money to Konerko but he choose to stick with us. I think that some team will probably offer MB more (probably the Mets) but if our offer is close, he'll take our offer.

Now really this all comes down to Mark. If he stinks up the joint like he did last year, let him walk. But if he returns to '05 form (or '04 form for that matter) we oughta make him a competitve offer. And I think he'll take that. Like if we offer three years plus an option at say about, twelve million a year and the Mets offer four years at fourteen million, I think he'd take our offer. But of course all of this is just idle speculation.

gobears1987
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Here Here. I will be there on thursday and if im gonna be freezing my ass off, he better pitch well (even if he doesnt oh well. its my first game of the season):bandance:
Working fast in the cold should give him an advantage on Thursday

hose
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for explaining it. I was absolutely stunned that two people could come up with something that stupid simultaneously.

We shouldn't argue about whether it's a mute point or a moo point, since it's all moot anyway.

Well I will pick mute over moot on this one.

I'm tired of hearing about contract talks. If Burles signs then great, if not then I wish him good luck.

May be it's all the Lance Briggs crap thats souring me about athletes negotiating in the press.

UserNameBlank
04-04-2007, 02:08 PM
If Mark has a typical year the Sox will not match it. Maybe, if the Sox won the WS, they would match the dollar amount over a short contract, but they certainly aren't going to match the years.

Soxfest
04-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Sox will not match any offer for MB!

StillMissOzzie
04-05-2007, 03:49 AM
May be it's all the Lance Briggs crap thats souring me about athletes negotiating in the press.

sem-hijack:
Hear Hear!
I am SO ****ing tired of athletes negotiating via the media.
I am SO ****ing tired of agents negotiating through the media. (Rosenhaus, Boras, et al)
I am SO ****ing tired of management negotiating through the media. (I'm looking at both of you, Lovie and Jerry)
I am SO ****ing tired of the MLB commissioner negotiating through the media (Selig: "The average salary of a MLB player is blah blah blah...")

I am SO ****ing tired of millionaires vs. multi-millionaires clawing for what they think is the public perception of the high ground, talking about "the market", talking about "what's fair", when the amounts of money in one PAYCHECK is more than Joe Six-Pack will make in their lifetime.

That said, I really think that someone is gonna look at MB's track record of avoiding the DL and the innings pitched per year, and offer more years AND more money than JR is willing to spend, and that this is the MB farewell tour. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.

SMO
:(:

IndianWhiteSox
04-05-2007, 05:01 AM
Well I hope that they can sign him to a deal that is fair for both sides, but chances are that won't happen unless Texas is the only team that offers him money. Then in that case, he might stay with the Sox due to him hopefully liking Chicago over Texas.

soxinem1
04-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Sox will not match any offer for MB!

The White Sox will not make an offer for MB, ala Robin Ventura and Alex Fernandez. He would have to be totally lights out to have even a remote chance of staying here.

I hope he and his future rotation-mate Gil Meche have a lot of fun in KC in 2008!

hose
04-05-2007, 08:05 AM
sem-hijack:
Hear Hear!
I am SO ****ing tired of athletes negotiating via the media.
I am SO ****ing tired of agents negotiating through the media. (Rosenhaus, Boras, et al)
I am SO ****ing tired of management negotiating through the media. (I'm looking at both of you, Lovie and Jerry)
I am SO ****ing tired of the MLB commissioner negotiating through the media (Selig: "The average salary of a MLB player is blah blah blah...")

I am SO ****ing tired of millionaires vs. multi-millionaires clawing for what they think is the public perception of the high ground, talking about "the market", talking about "what's fair", when the amounts of money in one PAYCHECK is more than Joe Six-Pack will make in their lifetime.
SMO

BUMP !!!!!!!

mcfish
04-05-2007, 09:36 AM
We've never heard him officially say that he wants to go to St. Louis at any price either, but you are willing to believe that: Prior reports had lead us to believe that Mark would be interested in going to STL - regardless of the money.

veeter
04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Honestly, I think JD, Iguchi and Buehrle will be offered contracts during the season if management is convinced they're good long term buys. Kenny talks tough, but he loves these guys and wants them to stay and work out.

MRM
04-05-2007, 12:25 PM
We all know that Reinsdorf doesn't like pitchers signed to more than 3 years at a time.

And he doesn't need to start now, either. I can think of only a single 4-7yr contract given to a pitcher working out positively in the long haul for the club that signed him (Mussina). I can think of lots of them that turned out horribly for the signing club, though (Kevin Brown, Mike Hampton, Chan ho Park, Carl Pavano, Denny Neagle, Russ Ortiz, etc. etc.) Pedro Martinez might be somewhere in the middle. Awesome when healthy, but rarely healthy.

Iguana775
04-05-2007, 05:22 PM

But will the Sox even want to match?

goon
04-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Find your form, Mark. Then worry about the contract.

If he wants the Sox to match any offer, than he better prove that he's worth the money, this season.

TheVulture
04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
He's been offered extensions, but he has chosed to test the free-agent makret.:thud:

TheVulture
04-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I really entruly think we're going to see a replay of the Konerko thing here.
:o:

UserNameBlank
04-05-2007, 11:07 PM
:thud:

I don't get it. He really entruly chosed!

I really hoped the Socks resine Mark, but I donthink they did.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't get it. He really entruly chosed!

I really hoped the Socks resine Mark, but I donthink they did.

fwahahaha :rolling:

Hitmen77
04-06-2007, 07:59 AM
I really entruly think we're going to see a replay of the Konerko thing here.

But it was the World Championship that helped embiggen the Sox and Konerko to come to an agreement.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6a/SimpsonsMsHoover.png/120px-SimpsonsMsHoover.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SimpsonsMsHoover.png)
What's your problem? It's a perfectly cromulent word.