PDA

View Full Version : CBS Power Rankings - Already?

Jurr
04-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Sportsline apparently couldn't wait for a week to play out before putting together new Power Rankings. They put together rankings after opening day, and had our beloved Sox at 18.

Add a beautiful quote:
"We had already pegged them as the fourth-best team in the rugged AL Central. Opening day just furthered our belief that 2005 is a long, long time ago."

Cleveland? Oh, how about 5th.
"We're overreacting here, but we had to because people called us out for being too trendy with them as a sleeper. Forget sleeper. They could be a favorite."

I love the media. So reactionary.

sox1970
04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Do power rankings win championships? Just win, baby.

Whitesox029
04-04-2007, 08:31 AM
They put way too much stock in one game...if TB won 8 in a row or something I guarantee they'd be up at about 15, probably ahead of the Sox.

Jurr
04-04-2007, 08:38 AM
It's all so funny. Boston gets shelled by the Royals and shut down by Meche, and they're the top dogs.

Power rankings mean nothing, but it's so funny to see exactly how the field mice (yeah, the ones rattling around in the craniums of these writers) pick teams.

soxtalker
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Well, I think that it would be a little surprising for them to pick us very high. We had the worst spring training record in the majors, IIRC, and our number 1 pitcher got shelled in the first regular season game. Plus, the division is widely considered the toughest in baseball. Now, none of this means that the Sox will be bad, but I can't really blame people on the outside for being a bit skeptical. The power rankings can change quickly -- just win.

oeo
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
We're overreacting here, but we had to because people called us out for being too trendy with them as a sleeper. Forget sleeper. They could be a favorite.Yeah, you're really going out on a limb there picking Cleveland as a "sleeper". :rolleyes: And it's not like the Indians did anything special...they were hitting belt-high fastballs. Contreras was serving them up, and they were hitting it; any major league team can do that.

This is just like the BBTN guys saying we're in trouble because we lost our first game. Big deal? It's the same as losing the first game of a series any other time.

Madvora
04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Here's the link.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/powerrankings

Fenway
04-04-2007, 11:40 AM
nobody in New England is picking Boston #1 right now

way media is reacting to the first game you would think they will finish 0-162

WizardsofOzzie
04-04-2007, 11:47 AM
nobody in New England is picking Boston #1 right now

way media is reacting to the first game you would think they will finish 0-162
Sounds familiar :rolleyes:

palehozenychicty
04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Man, I can't wait for the Sox to shut these fools up again.

DarkHorse35
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
This just in the sox on pace to 0-162. I can't even watch sports center because of the amount of time they spend talking and supposing and guessing. When did sports become more about media supposition and less about teh actual games themselves?

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-04-2007, 03:10 PM
D-backs, Brewers, ****ing Marlins and CUBS ahead of our Sox? Are u ****ting me? I'm never looking at these power rankings again.

Chiwhisox6155
04-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd love to see a statistic that showed the percentage of teams that win championships after being ranked #1 in pre-season power rankings. The number probably isn't very high.