PDA

View Full Version : Former White Sox players.

JermaineDye05
04-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Who are some former White Sox players you wouldn't mind having back? (make these players that are still playing in the majors)

Mine:

Miguel Olivo
Big Frank
Scott Eyre
Pea Pod (for the bench)
Jose Jose Jose Jose

ShoelessJoeS
04-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Sammy Sosa

RKMeibalane
04-03-2007, 10:51 PM
To be honest with you, I don't think any of those players fit with the team anymore. If the Sox needed a big bat in the middle of the lineup, I certainly wouldn't object to having Thomas back, but they don't, so that's not going to happen. The same goes for the remaining players, as the Sox have managed to replace everyone on that list with someone of equal or greater ability.

BiggestFan14
04-03-2007, 10:57 PM
They don't need any of them, but I would like to see my two favorites Frank Thomas and Jose Valentin back in the Sox uniform. But I'm happy with the current Sox.

JermaineDye05
04-03-2007, 11:08 PM
To be honest with you, I don't think any of those players fit with the team anymore. If the Sox needed a big bat in the middle of the lineup, I certainly wouldn't object to having Thomas back, but they don't, so that's not going to happen. The same goes for the remaining players, as the Sox have managed to replace everyone on that list with someone of equal or greater ability.

I didn't phrase it right, what I meant was who you'd like to see back in a sox uniform or wouldn't mind seeing not necassarily players the sox need. I love the team now but I wouldn't mind seeing Miguel Olivo or say Willie Harris back with the team.

DMarte708
04-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Without a doubt, Chris Young.

And none of you can suggest "we don't need him."

I'm hoping Williams makes up for the dealing of him by obtaining another Top 5 prospect within the immediate future.

RadioheadRocks
04-04-2007, 12:44 AM
El Duque

IndianWhiteSox
04-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Outside of MAYBE Miguel Olivo to be a backup C, I really can't think of any of those players who would fit on the roster right now.

TomBradley72
04-04-2007, 08:26 AM
El Duque

Agreed.

I think he was the heart and soul of the pitching staff....and helped Contreras. I thought he was washed up after 2005....but 11 wins last year...and he's either the #2 or #3 for the Mets this year.

eriqjaffe
04-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Aaron Rowand

soxfan13
04-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Oscar Gamble:tongue:

RKMeibalane
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I didn't phrase it right, what I meant was who you'd like to see back in a sox uniform or wouldn't mind seeing not necassarily players the sox need. I love the team now but I wouldn't mind seeing Miguel Olivo or say Willie Harris back with the team.

I understood what you meant, but it's important that you know that my fondness for certain players doesn't mean I would like to see any of them play for the Sox again. All of them provided myself and others with great memories during their respective tenures with the Sox, but that time is over and has been (in some cases) for several years. Each of them seems better off with his current team, and is more likley to play well under those circumstances.

BainesHOF
04-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Joseph Jackson.

D. TODD
04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Maybe Ray Durham or Carlos Lee

Uncle_Patrick
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I would love to see Frank Thomas finish his career here, but I just don't see a place for him. Other than that, there's no one I can think of that I wish was back.

jenn2080
04-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Ross Gload and El Duque. Marte

doublem23
04-04-2007, 01:15 PM

I'm hoping Williams makes up for the dealing of him by obtaining another Top 5 prospect within the immediate future.

I really fail to see why no one can say "we don't need him."

Potential is a nice way to say someone hasn't done anything yet.

I remember Jeremy Reed being a sure bet, bona fide All-Star in the making when we dumped him for Garcia.

SBSoxFan
04-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Agreed.

I think he was the heart and soul of the pitching staff....and helped Contreras. I thought he was washed up after 2005....but 11 wins last year...and he's either the #2 or #3 for the Mets this year.

Only because of injury. However, you can't argue with his first outing, 7 IP, 1 R, and 2-3 at the plate! Reminds me of his first start with the Sox at Minnesota. Having said that, however, it also reminds me that he missed about 14 starts and had a 5.12 ERA.

jabrch
04-04-2007, 02:27 PM

Chris Young's Minor League Stats
.267/.358/.501

Joe Borchard's Minor League Stats
.272/.347/.474

If Chris Young can't hit .270 in the minors. There's no reason to assume he will exceeed that in the majors. Screw his OBP or his SLG. If he can't get hits, he's not going to succeed. His failure to hit (for anything other than power) at any level he has been in yet should be alarming.

I'm not saying that I don't wish we still had him - he'd be nice depth. But he's no more a look than BA or Sweeney despite what any of the prognosticators are saying. Until you prove that you can hit in the minors, I have no reason to put him in the rare air of players I miss.

Jeremy Reed at least hit at the minors. Now he was a bust largely because he never built a body that was strong enough to hit in the majors - and he suddenly found out that you can't count on major league pitchers to have as little control as minor league pitchers do - eventually you have to expand your strikezone to swing at pitches that are on the edges - otherwise MLB pitchers will destroy you - as they do to Reed - by pitching on the black.

Chris Young is a lot of potential - but he better learn to hit.

Malgar 12
04-04-2007, 09:32 PM
or say Willie Harris back with the team.

Blasphemy! Oh wait as much as I despise anyone saying Willie Harris is a MLB player... he did score the winning run in game four...still I'm glad he's gone and don't want him back.

DumpJerry
04-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Richie Allen, LaMar Hoyt, Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Greg Luzinski, and Wilbur Wood.

In playing shape, of course.

jabrch
04-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Richie Allen, LaMar Hoyt, Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Greg Luzinski, and Wilbur Wood.

In playing shape, of course.

How would you ever know the difference between him being "in shape" and "out of shape"?

Round, after all, is still a shape.

Zisk77
04-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Harold Baines for a little over 100 more hits:D: .

Matt Guerrier bullpen or 5th starter.

Tom Gordon

Geoff Blum (only for WS pinch hitting)

Mike Cameron

Migeul Olivo

ILuvThatDuck
04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Aaron....

Miles.

veeter
04-06-2007, 11:39 AM
El DuqueI thought the same thing, as it seems Jose needs a therapist. Hopefully Orlando will call him sometime.

tick53
04-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Olivo is the only one who could possibly help right now.

chitownhawkfan
04-06-2007, 07:57 PM
I dont think Minnie Minoso has played professionally yet in this decade.

But I would love to have Ross Gload back on the bench, I loved that guy, he would hit once in a three game set and he always seemed to come up clutch.

The other one is staring everybody in the face, and you know who I'm talking about.
:rowand
This Guy!!!