PDA

View Full Version : Gammons may quit ESPN

Fenway
04-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Peter Gammons is not a happy camper as ESPN has forced him to stop appearing on WEEI Boston and instead appear on WAMG (ESPN-Boston) which up to now has been a non factor in the Boston market. Gammons appeared on WEEI this afternoon and said if they don't like me being here I will quit ESPN.

Gammons got his media start with WEEI almost 20 years ago when he was still with the Boston Globe and says the Sunday baseball show is what he enjoys doing the most.

The major problem with WAMG is the signal of the station which being on 890 has to protect WLS in Chicago. The station is being programmed by Len Weiner who was fired a year ago by WGN Radio.

http://www.espnboston.com/

Frontman
04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Peter Gammons is not a happy camper as ESPN has forced him to stop appearing on WEEI Boston and instead appear on WAMG (ESPN-Boston) which up to now has been a non factor in the Boston market. Gammons appeared on WEEI this afternoon and said if they don't like me being here I will quit ESPN.

Gammons got his media start with WEEI almost 20 years ago when he was still with the Boston Globe and says the Sunday baseball show is what he enjoys doing the most.

The major problem with WAMG is the signal of the station which being on 890 has to protect WLS in Chicago. The station is being programmed by Len Weiner who was fired a year ago by WGN Radio.

http://www.espnboston.com/

Whoa. That actually is a bit of a big deal. I can't believe ESPN is THAT full of themselves that they would force Gammons into making that decision.

Huisj
04-03-2007, 04:03 PM
As much as he tends to focus on Boston a lot (since he's from there), he still really really knows his stuff about the rest of the league, much more so than most of the talking heads ESPN throws out there every day. That would be a blow to ESPN. Somehow I can't see them letting him walk.

Fenway
04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Whoa. That actually is a bit of a big deal. I can't believe ESPN is THAT full of themselves that they would force Gammons into making that decision.

ESPN-Disney doesn't even own the Boston station in question.

ESPN-Boston is a joke at night with a whopping 3,300 watts and 5 towers to protect WLS. They of course had the World Series radio rights for the Boston market and nobody could hear it.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WAMG&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

ondafarm
04-03-2007, 04:10 PM
My message to Gammons: QUIT ALREADY!!

Luke
04-03-2007, 04:22 PM
ESPN-Disney doesn't even own the Boston station in question.

ESPN-Boston is a joke at night with a whopping 3,300 watts and 5 towers to protect WLS. They of course had the World Series radio rights for the Boston market and nobody could hear it.

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WAMG&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

What does "protect WLS" mean? Does that mean thaye have to have a directional broadcast on that freq. at night?

Fenway
04-03-2007, 04:30 PM
What does "protect WLS" mean? Does that mean thaye have to have a directional broadcast on that freq. at night?

Exactly

WLS is the clear channel station on 890 and can transmit in a full 360 with one tower.

WAMG can not beam anything at night to the west after sundown.

A good Chicago example is WMVP (ESPN-1000) They can not beam to the west to protect a station in Seattle.

champagne030
04-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, I guess if Gammons quits he can then officially take on the title of VP of ass kissing for all things Red Sox. He would report directly to John Henry.

infohawk
04-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Exactly

WLS is the clear channel station on 890 and can transmit in a full 360 with one tower.

WAMG can not beam anything at night to the west after sundown.

A good Chicago example is WMVP (ESPN-1000) They can not beam to the west to protect a station in Seattle.
I'm sorry for being obtuse, but I'm just curious and not understanding the whole concept of "protecting a station." Does this just mean that they are prohibited from sending a signal in a certain direction during certain times in order to not interfere with another signal?

getonbckthr
04-03-2007, 05:02 PM
How long til they try to get Steve Stone away from the score.

santo=dorf
04-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Good riddance, I'm sick of his Red Sox bias.

On Saturday at ESPN.com he predicted the Tigers would win the World Series. The very next night on baseball tonight he said Schilling would beat Pedro in game 7 for a Red Sox World Series. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM

On Saturday at ESPN.com he predicted the Tigers would win the World Series. The very next night on baseball tonight he said Schilling would beat Pedro in game 7 for a Red Sox World Series. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
That was his back-handed way of predicting a mid-season trade between the Kitties and Carmines.

chitownhawkfan
04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Please let this be the demise of Gammons on ESPN. Not that I watch it anyways, he just comes across as a bit of a turd, but then again so do the rest of them.

Brian26
04-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Just because Gammons grew up as a Red Sox fan, it doesn't mean he's not impartial when the time comes. Gammons respects baseball, and he'll give praise to other teams when its earned. He gave a five minute speech on the White Sox after they won the World Series that made me a fan of his forever. He compared the Sox season (wire to wire, best record in AL, 11-1 post-season run) to some of the greatest teams in baseball history ('27 Yankees, '98 Yankees, '75 Reds). Go back and find a tape of that - you might be surprised.

soxwon
04-03-2007, 09:18 PM
he's buying the cubs!!!

soxtalker
04-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm sorry for being obtuse, but I'm just curious and not understanding the whole concept of "protecting a station." Does this just mean that they are prohibited from sending a signal in a certain direction during certain times in order to not interfere with another signal?

Power level is also involved; that's why the old WSCR (820) had to go to lower power after sunset. Clear channels have been around since the early days of radio, though I think that the FCC started allowing some sharing of the frequencies by high-power stations in the 80's. Here's a link (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/amclasses.html) to an FCC site that has some info.

Hokiesox
04-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Maybe ESPN is trying to get rid of anyone with excellent baseball knowledge. Harold Reynolds last year, Gammons this year. Makes perfect sense to me.

Vernam
04-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Just because Gammons grew up as a Red Sox fan, it doesn't mean he's not impartial when the time comes. Gammons respects baseball, and he'll give praise to other teams when its earned. He gave a five minute speech on the White Sox after they won the World Series that made me a fan of his forever. He compared the Sox season (wire to wire, best record in AL, 11-1 post-season run) to some of the greatest teams in baseball history ('27 Yankees, '98 Yankees, '75 Reds). Go back and find a tape of that - you might be surprised.Yep, I agree about Gammons. Put any of us on TV as the national baseball guru, and everyone watching could guess which team we grew up rooting for. It's not Gammons's fault that his boyhood team is the second-most-obnoxious in MLB. :cool:

I've got a recording of the post-WS05 remarks that you described, Brian, and it was a real highlight of the victory celebrations. He also praised the Sox (Reinsdorf, actually) for hiring Kenny and Ozzie, who together blew away a lot of negative stereotypes with that championship. Gammons has a decency about him that's rare in sports journalism.

Vernam

CLR01
04-04-2007, 12:13 AM
he still really really knows his stuff about the rest of the league, much more so than most of the talking heads ESPN throws out there every day.

That bar is set pretty low.

Please get rid of him and then continue dumping everyone until Baseball Tonight and Sportscenter are nothing more than a continuous highlight loop with random music playing in the background. That would be much better than the crap they currently put out.

IndianWhiteSox
04-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Yep, I agree about Gammons. Put any of us on TV as the national baseball guru, and everyone watching could guess which team we grew up rooting for. It's not Gammons's fault that his boyhood team is the second-most-obnoxious in MLB. :cool:

I've got a recording of the post-WS05 remarks that you described, Brian, and it was a real highlight of the victory celebrations. He also praised the Sox (Reinsdorf, actually) for hiring Kenny and Ozzie, who together blew away a lot of negative stereotypes with that championship. Gammons has a decency about him that's rare in sports journalism.

Vernam

That is true, I mean if I were a baseball analyst for a national network like that, I would probably be like that too, except replace the red with the real. But the smartest thing he may be doing is quitting that stupid network.

Fenway
04-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Power level is also involved; that's why the old WSCR (820) had to go to lower power after sunset. Clear channels have been around since the early days of radio, though I think that the FCC started allowing some sharing of the frequencies by high-power stations in the 80's. Here's a link (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/amclasses.html) to an FCC site that has some info.

The FCC now allows stations on clear channels that are at least 1000 miles from the primary station.

wdelaney72
04-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd like to get excited about this, but ESPN will just replace him with some other east-coast windbag.

Fenway
04-04-2007, 10:02 AM

Back in the 30's when the FCC was setup the idea was to have a clear channel station in most major cities and then several regional stations. New York and Chicago were allotted several clear channels to cover the east and midwest at night. The Chicago and New York stations were assigned to adjacent channels ( 660, 670, 710, 720, 770, 780 etc )

Even though ESPN Boston transmits at night on 890 they are at very low wattage and WLS can be heard in the background...

russ99
04-04-2007, 10:16 AM
I'd like to get excited about this, but ESPN will just replace him with some other east-coast windbag.

Exactly. Gammons may be pro-Red Sox, but he's extremely knowledgable and often gives other teams a fair shake. Quitting ESPN would be no big thing for him anyway, since his Boston Globe article on Sundays (his top job) is carried by lots of other newspapers nationwide.

ESPN would just replace him with a Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs pundit/puppet like Crasnik, Heyman or Rogers. Unlike those three, Gammons has objectivity and is respected around the country.

Fenway
04-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Exactly. Gammons may be pro-Red Sox, but he's extremely knowledgable and often gives other teams a fair shake. Quitting ESPN would be no big thing for him anyway, since his Boston Globe article on Sundays (his top job) is carried by lots of other newspapers nationwide.

ESPN would just replace him with a Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs pundit/puppet like Crasnik, Heyman or Rogers. Unlike those three, Gammons has objectivity and is respected around the country.

If ESPN lost Gammons he would wind up on networks like NESN, YES and probably Comcast so fast it would make their heads spin in Bristol.