PDA

View Full Version : The Nationals look like 'Major League' was intended

soxinem1
04-03-2007, 08:35 AM
I was looking at the roster and cannot believe the sad collection of players on this team. Our AA roster is more competitive than these guys.

Ronnie Belliard? Micah Bowie? Dmitri Young? Jerome Williams? Robert F(pr)ick? And a 'favorite' of the WSI, one of the worst FA signings of the new Millennium, Cristian Guzman.

This roster looks like the 'All-Released Team'. Zimmerman, Cordero, Kearns, and a couple others are good players, but some of them might be jumping ship around the time the team is ready to open their new park.

Unlike the movie, these guys will not contend, in fact, I think they might threaten the 1962 Mets and 2003 Tigers for futility. They also have a new ballpark in place and new owners. But the Nats minor league system is mediocre at best, even though stealing Mike Rizzo from ARI should help immensely in the long run.

But this will take time. Where did all these prospects from the Expos days go to?

I keep waiting for this guy to pop out of the dugout:

http://www.nndb.com/people/114/000031021/james-gammon-sized.jpg

'We are not contenders now'

IndianWhiteSox
04-04-2007, 06:37 AM
I was looking at the roster and cannot believe the sad collection of players on this team. Our AA roster is more competitive than these guys.

Ronnie Belliard? Micah Bowie? Dmitri Young? Jerome Williams? Robert F(pr)ick? And a 'favorite' of the WSI, one of the worst FA signings of the new Millennium, Cristian Guzman.

This roster looks like the 'All-Released Team'. Zimmerman, Cordero, Kearns, and a couple others are good players, but some of them might be jumping ship around the time the team is ready to open their new park.

Unlike the movie, these guys will not contend, in fact, I think they might threaten the 1962 Mets and 2003 Tigers for futility. They also have a new ballpark in place and new owners. But the Nats minor league system is mediocre at best, even though stealing Mike Rizzo from ARI should help immensely in the long run.

But this will take time. Where did all these prospects from the Expos days go to?

I keep waiting for this guy to pop out of the dugout:

http://www.nndb.com/people/114/000031021/james-gammon-sized.jpg

'We are not contenders now'

Cleveland robbed them in that Colon trade remember?

But anyway, yea that is pretty sad seeing that roster. But considering the fact that they still have Felipe Lopez at 2B, Nick Johnson back at 1B in a few months, the emergence of Zimmerman at 3B, the development of Schinder at C and Cordero closing games, that team still has enough talent to "shock the world" about 70 times. Especially with that stadium, where it's supposedly a pitcher's heaven. So who knows?

DarkHorse35
04-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Viva Jon Rauch!

Fenway
04-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Loria somehow was able to move quite a few of them into the Marlins system when the franchises were swapped.

I saw their Single A SS team (Vermont)last summer and a good high school team could have beaten them.

Iwritecode
04-13-2007, 12:56 AM
I just wanted to say that this thread wasn't far off. The Nationals have only had the lead in three innings so far this year! One of them was because of a walk-off single.

Ziggy S
04-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Jeff Loria must be jealous. He all like "I bring up a bunch of minor leaguers last year and fire the Manager of the Year for last season and they STILL lose more games?"

Ziggy S
04-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I wonder if Rachel Phelps was among the 29,000 other people who owned the Nats until last year. Also, none of those guys run like Mays, but they definitely hit like ****.

Fenway
04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
ESPN spends 10 minutes telling us how bad the Nats are last night

and then they beat Atlanta :tongue:

HawkDJ
04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Viva Jon Rauch!

Indeed. Rauch is not the only ex-Sox on the team. They have an old favorite, D'Angelo Jimenez as well.

Shift
04-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Nats ink John Franco to fill out bullpen.

hdog1017
04-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Most of the guys on the Nats roster are either past their prime or never had a prime.

thomas35forever
04-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Are you sure there isn't an ex-car thief on the team?

FedEx227
04-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Most of the guys on the Nats roster are either past their prime or never had a prime.

A couple of these guys are dead.

Fenway
04-14-2007, 12:49 AM
They didn't trade Soriono last year.............

and the new owners keep the same MLB braintrust

lakeviewsoxfan
04-14-2007, 01:03 AM
A couple of these guys are dead.

Cross him off then.

Tragg
04-14-2007, 01:06 AM
The pitiful state of the NATS this year is a big advantage to the NL East teams in the wild card race. They effectively get 8-10 extra games with a AA club to pad their record with.