PDA

View Full Version : Outfield Positioning? (Too Shallow?)

jabrch
04-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Maybe it was how many balls Contreras allowed to get the stitches pounded out of them - but it seemed to me like all of our OFs were playing particularly shallow today. Erstad in particular was playing more shallow than I recall him playing in past seasons. I'm assuming this positioning is done by the coaches. Or at least I'm assuming that if they were unhappy with the positioning, they'd instruct they guys where to be. I know OG did that a bit last year with all of our OFs, moving them around.

Did anyone else notice the OFs shallow? Or was it just appearing that way since so many balls were pounded so hard either out of the park, into the walls, into the gaps, or down the line?

ondafarm
04-03-2007, 01:06 AM
It's natural for guys to want to play deep. The hardest play for an outfielder is the ball over their head. But intelligent, knowledgable players play shallow to cut off more singles. The Texas leaguers are what cost you games, not the occasional double.

jabrch
04-03-2007, 09:16 AM
It's natural for guys to want to play deep. The hardest play for an outfielder is the ball over their head. But intelligent, knowledgable players play shallow to cut off more singles. The Texas leaguers are what cost you games, not the occasional double.

Thanks Onda...appreciate your input.

BainesHOF
04-03-2007, 09:33 AM
The best outfielders play shallow.

Jerko
04-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Those balls were pounded. Sox would have needed five outfielders to catch some of those shots.

Jjav829
04-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Those balls were pounded. Sox would have needed five outfielders to catch some of those shots.

BA plays the defense of 10 outfielders combined...:gulp:

comet2k
04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I didn't see yesterday's game, but I recall going to a couple of games last year when balls were hit over Mackowiak's head in center field and wondering why he was playing so shallow while Podsednik was playing a deep left, even against lefties.

I can see Anderson (or Rowand) playing shallow, but Mackowiak? I figured it was a coaching decision, and from what I saw not the right one.

ondafarm
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
The other factor on this is the pitching. Big power pitchers give up more well-hit balls so you'd play deeper. Finesse guys tend to have more short flies, balls put in play but not well. You should play more shallow on a guy who gives up irregular contact. MB falls into the latter category, I think most of the starters do as well, JV the only solid exception.

maurice
04-03-2007, 01:10 PM
It's not that Mackowiak played too shallow. It's that he kept running the wrong way when the ball was hit.

As for yesterday's game, Ozuna probably would have made an additional play if he were playing MORE shallow. IIRC, the only ball that would have been caught if the OF were deeper was Martinez's fly ball to CF that landed short of the warning track.