PDA

View Full Version : SI baseball predictions

danman31
03-21-2002, 03:54 PM
I don't know if anyone else posted this, but I got out of school early so I'm bored. Sports Illustrated's baseball preview issue came in yesterday and I was happy with who they picked to win it all, but not happy to see who they had winning the AL Central. The SI jinx is real. 2 years ago they picked Boston and were wrong. Last year they got "smart" and picked the Yankees, but they were wrong. Again this year SI goes with the Yanks and that's why I'm happy they picked them. This means they Yanks won't win the WS(wishful thinking?). SI had the Sox winning the AL Central. 2 years ago they went with the Indians and the Sox won it. Last year they went with the Sox and the Indians win it. Yet another bad omen that has come in front of a pessimistic Sox fan.

Here is what SI also predicts(overall rank in parenthesis):

AL East:1.NYY(1)
2.Boston(9)
3.Toronto(21)
4.Baltimore(26)
5.Tampa Bay(30) I think TB has too much talent to be in the cellar

AL Central:1.Sox(10)
2.Twins(13)
3.Cleveland(14)
4.Detroit(24)
5.KC(28)

AL West:1.Seattle(2)
2.Oakland(6)WC
3.Anaheim(18)
4.Texas(20)

NL East:1.Atlanta(5)
2.NYM(8)
3.Florida(12)
4.Philly(17)
5.Montreal(25)

NL Central:1.STL(3)
2.Houston(7)WC
3.Cubs(15)
4.Milwaukee(23)
5.Cincy(27)
6.Pitt(29)

NL West:1.Arizona(4)
2.SF(11)
3.LA(16)
4.SD(19)
5.Colorado(22)

Playoffs:
NYY over Oak
Sea over Sox
StL over Atl
Arz over Hou

StL over Arz
NYY over Sea

NYY over StL

Mathew
03-21-2002, 04:07 PM
Why is Cincy so badly ranked. I haven't payed enough attention I guess, but I didn't think they were that awful (27th)?

GASHWOUND
03-21-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by danman31
I don't know if anyone else posted this, but I got out of school early so I'm bored. Sports Illustrated's baseball preview issue came in yesterday and I was happy with who they picked to win it all, but not happy to see who they had winning the AL Central. The SI jinx is real. 2 years ago they picked Boston and were wrong. Last year they got "smart" and picked the Yankees, but they were wrong. Again this year SI goes with the Yanks and that's why I'm happy they picked them. This means they Yanks won't win the WS(wishful thinking?). SI had the Sox winning the AL Central. 2 years ago they went with the Indians and the Sox won it. Last year they went with the Sox and the Indians win it. Yet another bad omen that has come in front of a pessimistic Sox fan.

Here is what SI also predicts(overall rank in parenthesis):

AL East:1.NYY(1)
2.Boston(9)
3.Toronto(21)
4.Baltimore(26)
5.Tampa Bay(30) I think TB has too much talent to be in the cellar

AL Central:1.Sox(10)
2.Twins(13)
3.Cleveland(14)
4.Detroit(24)
5.KC(28)

AL West:1.Seattle(2)
2.Oakland(6)WC
3.Anaheim(18)
4.Texas(20)

NL East:1.Atlanta(5)
2.NYM(8)
3.Florida(12)
4.Philly(17)
5.Montreal(25)

NL Central:1.STL(3)
2.Houston(7)WC
3.Cubs(15)
4.Milwaukee(23)
5.Cincy(27)
6.Pitt(29)

NL West:1.Arizona(4)
2.SF(11)
3.LA(16)
4.SD(19)
5.Colorado(22)

Playoffs:
NYY over Oak
Sea over Sox
StL over Atl
Arz over Hou

StL over Arz
NYY over Sea

NYY over StL

I don't know when the guys who made the picks actually made the picks but, I wonder if they would change their pick in the AL Central if they saw the Sox's horrid pitching stats as of yesterday. YIKES! I know its only ST and when the reg season comes along thing will probaby change, but its starting to worry me..

GASHWOUND
03-21-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
Why is Cincy so badly ranked. I haven't payed enough attention I guess, but I didn't think they were that awful (27th)?

Well, who the heck is in their starting 5 thats any good? Or their bullpen. I can't name anybody from the Starting 5 and besides Griffey and Casey, the offense prob sn't that great. maybe they deserve to be there, don't know

bjmarte
03-21-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

I don't know when the guys who made the picks actually made the picks but, I wonder if they would change their pick in the AL Central if they saw the Sox's horrid pitching stats as of yesterday. YIKES! I know its only ST and when the reg season comes along thing will probaby change, but its starting to worry me..

:firenardi

kermittheefrog
03-21-2002, 05:11 PM

Well, who the heck is in their starting 5 thats any good? Or their bullpen. I can't name anybody from the Starting 5 and besides Griffey and Casey, the offense prob sn't that great. maybe they deserve to be there, don't know

The Reds aren't that bad if Griffey is healthy. I'd think they are a sleeper team if their division wasn't the seocnd strongest in baseball. Other sleepers are Montreal and the San Diego who I'm picking to win the NL West.

Jjav829
03-21-2002, 05:39 PM

Offensively they have a chance to be pretty good. With Dunn and a healthy Griffey they could have one of the better combos in the league. Throw in Casey, Aaron Boone, Todd Walker, and Barry Larkin (who claims hes in the best shape of his career) and they have a solid lineup.

But they are lacking in pitching. They don't have that top of the roation guy that they could use. They have some solid pitching talent in guys like Graves, Williamson, Sullivan, Dessens, and Reitsma. They're probably just a top line pitcher away from being serious contenders in the NL central.

Huisj
03-21-2002, 05:46 PM
How about Adam Dunn, that young huge hitting outfielder they brought up last year. And Aaron Boone, he's a pretty good third baseman when he's not hurt. They've still got Larkin. Their other outfield spot could be either Encarnacion, Mateo, or i think they've got some other hot prospect named Austin Kearns or something who could come up later in the season.

Their pitching isn't too impressive though. There is still talk of them make Danny Graves into a starter, and their other starters are guys like Elmer Dessens, Jimmy Haynes, Jose Acevedo, Chris Reitsma, and maybe that Seth Etherton guy who came up with Anaheim a few year back but was hurt last year.

That's not terribly impressive, but it seems better than a 27 ranking.

Mathew
03-21-2002, 06:38 PM
That's what I thought.