PDA

View Full Version : Nick Masset Today.

Jerksticks
04-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I liked his curve, but not his command. Every pitch was away, away, away with the fastballs; nibbling like some rookie (which he is:smile: ) but still. Anybody else notice that?

Jurr
04-02-2007, 07:22 PM
He was probably slipping in the puke that Contreras left all over the mound.

Honestly, it looked like both of the early pitchers suffered from nerves. You wouldn't figure that Contreras would be affected by the butterflies, but that's what happened.

Masset will be fine. Welcome to the AL Central, son!

Frontman
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Masset sounded shaky, as did Aarsma. Contreras had his horrible day for the season. Now, if he can just rebound on Sunday, all will be well.

JB98
04-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Masset sounded shaky, as did Aarsma. Contreras had his horrible day for the season. Now, if he can just rebound on Sunday, all will be well.

Aardsma was very sharp his first inning of work, but struggled with his control in the eighth. He might be one of those pitchers who is only good for one inning.

If Masset figures out how to get his deuce over consistently, he's going to be real good for us.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2007, 07:49 PM
I think Masset was probably nervous and maybe a little unprepared. I mean Opening Day with your ace starting you're probably not thinking "I'm going to get a lot of work today." Plus on top of that I believe there were runners on second and third when he came in and the crowd was getting ancy, it's a tough situation to be thrust into for a rookie.

maurice
04-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Every pitch was away, away, away with the fastballs; nibbling

I don't know that he's nibbling. His ball really moves a lot, especially now that he's out of AZ. I think he'll look great after he settles in.

JB98
04-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I don't know that he's nibbling. His ball really moves a lot, especially now that he's out of AZ. I think he'll look great after he settles in.

“It was great. I had a great time out there,” Masset said. “Get that first one out of the way. Here on out, I think I’m going to be throwing the ball better ...
“There was a lot of anxiety. Opening Day, 40,000 fans — I don’t know how to explain it. The nerves were going.”

I look for Nick to throw better the second time out.

JermaineDye05
04-02-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm not worried about Masset, he's got great stuff and I won't be surprised if he's one of our top relievers down the stretch. Of course I'm basing this all off of what I've heard from Steve Stone, I trust Stone though he's one of the few baseball analysts who sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about.

UserNameBlank
04-02-2007, 08:47 PM
He was probably slipping in the puke that Contreras left all over the mound.

Honestly, it looked like both of the early pitchers suffered from nerves. You wouldn't figure that Contreras would be affected by the butterflies, but that's what happened.

Masset will be fine. Welcome to the AL Central, son!
What makes you think Contreras had butterflies? He couldn't throw his forkball for strikes so all he had was his fastball, and the Indians lineup just sat on it.

Jose just didn't have the feel for that pitch. I highly doubt that a guy who pitched for Cuba in front of Fidel Castro, played his first I believe 2 1/2 years in Yankee stadium, and opened every series during the '05 championship run would suck as bad as he did because of nerves.

kevingrt
04-02-2007, 10:12 PM
No mention of Sisco but he looked very sharp for probably one of the lasast four roster picks.

Jerksticks
04-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Sisco looked great busting people inside on almost every pitch; quite the opposite of Masset actually. I djust don't understand why AJ would call Masset to throw everything outside. Whatever, day1.

Jurr
04-02-2007, 11:12 PM
What makes you think Contreras had butterflies? He couldn't throw his forkball for strikes so all he had was his fastball, and the Indians lineup just sat on it.

Jose just didn't have the feel for that pitch. I highly doubt that a guy who pitched for Cuba in front of Fidel Castro, played his first I believe 2 1/2 years in Yankee stadium, and opened every series during the '05 championship run would suck as bad as he did because of nerves.
It looked like he was overthrowing every pitch. Being nervous and being jacked up are two different things. Butterflies from your first opening day start are normal.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
It looked like he was overthrowing every pitch. Being nervous and being jacked up are two different things. Butterflies from your first opening day start are normal.

I don't really believe that much that he was nervous. Like the other poster said, he's pitched in much bigger scenarios before, even if this was his first opening day start. Not that I think he is going to be this bad all season, I just think he had a bad day. More from it being his first game then it being THE first game. I think if he was pitching on weds or thurs instead, he would have pitched the same.

soxinem1
04-03-2007, 12:23 AM

Against Santana? I hope he's ready!

Masset and Contreras both looked flat. Masset threw harder, but both of them threw with little movement and left a lot of stuff hanging/up in the strike zone.

Contreras looked like he was throwing hanging beach balls. The Tribe also seemed to know everything he was throwing ahead of time.

Sisco looked like a young (as in about 30-33) Randy Johnson today. Crisp, great location, nice mechanics.

southwstchi4life
04-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Sisqo looks excellent, he really excites me

infohawk
04-03-2007, 03:34 PM
I think Masset was probably nervous and maybe a little unprepared. I mean Opening Day with your ace starting you're probably not thinking "I'm going to get a lot of work today." Plus on top of that I believe there were runners on second and third when he came in and the crowd was getting ancy, it's a tough situation to be thrust into for a rookie.
I attribute it to Masset having no thoughts whatsoever that he would be coming in the game during the second inning. On the one hand, relievers should always be ready, but on the other hand, there's no way he even dreamed he'd be in that early.

soxfan13
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
I thought he did fine regardless of his line. His curve look very very good actually breaking a little too much and I think thats why he was having trouble with his control.

IndianWhiteSox
04-04-2007, 07:06 AM
I thought he did fine regardless of his line. His curve look very very good actually breaking a little too much and I think thats why he was having trouble with his control.

Since I really wasn't able to see the game from India today, I can't say anything about how Masset did in the opener. But the fact is that, when 2007 is all said and done, he will be one of the reasons why the Sox win another World Series this year.
:cool: