PDA

View Full Version : Let's think positive here...

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Just got back from the game. Probably one of the worst games I've been to in a loooong time. In the stands I was brooding over Jose and how he didn't have it today (obviously) and was upset that he didn't really appear to battle through (his body language seemed to say "I give up") but there were some postives to draw from the game. I thought that Sisco looked good as did Aardsma. Uribe got a couple of hits. Erstad hit a homerun in his first at bat. Ozuna didn't look awful. And Paulie looked like himself....oh yea and THERE ARE ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY ONE GAMES TO GO!

So c'mon people! Let's stay postive! What did you see today that made you think "Ah, it's only one game, we'll be fine!"

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Just got back from the game. Probably one of the worst games I've been to in a loooong time. In the stands I was brooding over Jose and how he didn't have it today (obviously) and was upset that he didn't really appear to battle through (his body language seemed to say "I give up") but there were some postives to draw from the game. I thought that Sisco looked good as did Aardsma. Uribe got a couple of hits. Erstad hit a homerun in his first at bat. Ozuna didn't look awful. And Paulie looked like himself....oh yea and THERE ARE ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY ONE GAMES TO GO!

So c'mon people! Let's stay postive! What did you see today that made you think "Ah, it's only one game, we'll be fine!"

Frankly, I thought the only negative today was Contreras. Unfortunately, the starting pitcher is the most important part of any game.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Frankly, I thought the only negative today was Contreras. Unfortunately, the starting pitcher is the most important part of any game.

Masset wasn't great either, but it wasn't as bad as Jose.

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Masset wasn't great either, but it wasn't as bad as Jose.

Masset was pitching in only his ninth MLB game, and he was brought into a horrible situation. I'm just pleased he ate up three innings, even though his line wasn't particularly good.

chisox77
04-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Agreed - Contreras was the only one out there struggling. But there are many positives. Sox can still take two of three from the Tribe. Just need Garland and Burls to pitch decent. Erstad may prove to be quite a pickup.

:cool:

WizardsofOzzie
04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
And the Tiggers lost :bandance:

BiggestFan14
04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Aside from the first two innings, which were horrible, the Sox didn't do too bad. Still a long time to go and of course they are going to lose some.

Still totally positive.:smile:

Jjav829
04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
It's not hard to be positive here. Contreras sucked, but other than that the Sox played fairly well. Unfortunately Contreras' influence on the game outweighed anything else, as tends to happen with starting pitching.

Positives:
- White Sox baseball is back!
- Erstad and Uribe, both of whom we will need to contribute offensively (as well as Anderson when in there), contributed offensively.
- Our bullpen pitched really well.
- And it's only one game. It doesn't really change anything.

ondafarm
04-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Apart from Contreras, I think the Sox actually did well today. Erstad showed why we picked him up, PK showed that he's still got it. Almost everybody hit, except for Iguchi and Thome, and we know they will hit. Aardsma and Sisco both looked solid and those were the two relievers I was most worried about. Masset will be fine. Cleveland showed their pen to be a mess and that their guys can rough up a starter on a bad day. Well, we all knew that. While not pleased that the Sox lost, I hardly think that was the worst game in a long time. That the Sox hit and had decent relief are all good things.

Beautox
04-02-2007, 05:19 PM
glad to see Brian get a hit, same for erstad. the BP is going to be good.

really glad to see the sox actually hit CC.

Law11
04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
I say we take a mulligan and move onto Wed.
I'll be there Wed and Friday.. Bundle up.. BEAR WEATHER!!

AJ Hellraiser
04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Massett only have up 2 runs in his 3 innings I am pretty sure... The first 2 were runners he inherited from Contreras...

I thought his stuff looked pretty good and he seemed to get better as he went along...

The issue here is that I don't think Contreras is 100%, I think he is back to tipping his pitches as I could tell at home what was comng and he just might be 50 years old

While other aspects looked okay this team isn't going very far if the starting pitching is like this again and Jose's personal success is key for this team

Fuller_Schettman
04-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Wouldn't it suck if we have seen the best of Jose Contreras and it is no more!?

Ohmigosh! Is that dark-cloddinsh??

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 05:36 PM

yes :cool:

JB98
04-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Massett only have up 2 runs in his 3 innings I am pretty sure... The first 2 were runners he inherited from Contreras...

I thought his stuff looked pretty good and he seemed to get better as he went along...

The issue here is that I don't think Contreras is 100%, I think he is back to tipping his pitches as I could tell at home what was comng and he just might be 50 years old

While other aspects looked okay this team isn't going very far if the starting pitching is like this again and Jose's personal success is key for this team

I don't think Jose is back to tipping his pitches. He couldn't get his forkball over. He was in a lot of fastball counts. He was missing over the heart of the plate with his fastball, and it was getting murdered. I don't think there's any big secret as to why he failed to day. He had no command of anything whatsoever. When Jose is on, you can tell the hitters the forkball is coming, and they still can't handle it. Today was obviously not one of those days.

Jjav829
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM

I think we probably have seen the best of Jose Contreras. We're talking about a 35-year-old pitcher here, not some rookie who had a great half of a season at the age of 24 and still has plenty of upside. It's highly unlikely that Contreras is going to post a sub-3 ERA over a significant portion of the season like he did in the 2nd half of 2005. That doesn't mean he can't be a quality starter for us, but we're not going to see him pitching like Johan Santana either.

Fuller_Schettman
04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree. And it would not necessarily be a great concern if he were at the back of the rotation. But since he is the Numero Uno, it kinda sucks.

Jurr
04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow. What a ridiculous game! The positive about this one is that you can just laugh it off and say, "Well, glad we got that one out of the way!"

It's nice that you can have your worst loss in the first game. You'd rather lose one that way than pull a Sox-Royals opener and blow a lead.

They'll be fine. Promise.

Frontman
04-02-2007, 06:39 PM

Really, you erase Jose's work today, it was a game that the Sox were in. Without that horrid first inning, the Sox had a chance.

The team didn't seem to give up, though. That sounded good. I hope they rebound and get back on track Wed.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2007, 06:46 PM
I think we probably have seen the best of Jose Contreras. We're talking about a 35-year-old pitcher here, not some rookie who had a great half of a season at the age of 24 and still has plenty of upside. It's highly unlikely that Contreras is going to post a sub-3 ERA over a significant portion of the season like he did in the 2nd half of 2005. That doesn't mean he can't be a quality starter for us, but we're not going to see him pitching like Johan Santana either.
Well, really throughout the course of a season that can be fixed fairly quickly. I have mixed feelings about Jose. Yes he's probably fifty, but he can still be lights out at times. Barring injury I still feel like he's a guy that could win anywhere from 17-20. Today is just one bad day. Even Johan gets roughed up every now and then.

Chrisaway
04-02-2007, 06:51 PM
While Contrares didnt seem to show up today, the bullpen looked real good and we gave em a fight to the end. Go get em tomorrow (er wednesday).

JB98
04-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Really, you erase Jose's work today, it was a game that the Sox were in. Without that horrid first inning, the Sox had a chance.

The team didn't seem to give up, though. That sounded good. I hope they rebound and get back on track Wed.

The second inning was the real problem. Don't get me wrong: The first inning blew goats. But after we got the two in the first, I thought we were right back in the game. 5-2 after one inning is hardly an insurmountable deficit.

But then Contreras continued to **** himself in the second inning. That four-spot in the second was just a killer. If he settles down and puts a zero up, maybe we get back in the game.

Brian26
04-02-2007, 07:13 PM
My two biggest concerns this year are:

Jenks in the bullpen.
Thome vs. Lefties.

Jenks looked ok today and hopefully is coming around. Thome had no chance against Sabathia.

JB98
04-02-2007, 07:18 PM
My two biggest concerns this year are:

Jenks in the bullpen.
Thome vs. Lefties.

Jenks looked ok today and hopefully is coming around. Thome had no chance against Sabathia.

Just making contact was a victory for Thome. He only struck out once in three ABs against Sabathia. (Damning with faint praise here). Jim was 0-for-8 with 6Ks lifetime against CC coming in. Make it 0-for-11 with 7 Ks.

Next time we face Sabathia, it might be a good time to put BA in RF and DH Dye. Either that, or move Erstad to LF, put BA in CF and DH Pablo. Jim has had success against Santana, but he's broke against Sabathia.

oeo
04-02-2007, 07:21 PM

I don't know about that. I mean, barring another injury, I think he can be an ace again. His stuff was nasty looking today, he just couldn't control it.

pearso66
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
I found out this morning that someone had extra tickets to the game, and they asked if I wanted them. Of course I said yes, and they were great seats, 147 row AA. Anyway now that the bragging is out of the way, We made it to the game late, they had us driving in circles for parking, everyone kept pointing in different directions, and we ended up parking at 31st and Cottage, and taking the shuttle in. We finally made it to our seats right as the bottom of the 1st was starting. I thought, "good we missed the bad part", and we scored a few runs, and I thought we were right back in it, but it didn't happen.

Oh well, I liked what I saw from the offense and the bullpen. Can't be too mad that the offense didn't win the game, when they had to score 13 to do it. I will be there again Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, so I hope to see a lot better outings from our starters. One plus on this happening on opening day, is it gives the bullpen another day to rest after getting used up so much.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Oh well, I liked what I saw from the offense and the bullpen. Can't be too mad that the offense didn't win the game, when they had to score 13 to do it. I will be there again Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, so I hope to see a lot better outings from our starters. One plus on this happening on opening day, is it gives the bullpen another day to rest after getting used up so much.

I guess the bright side is that when we used up one of our crappy offensive days on a crappy pitching day. And even though they were both kind of crappy, there were bright spots amongst different players, mostly the new ones or ones that haven't been great in the past (Erstad, Aardsma, Sisco, Uribe, Anderson)

cheeses_h_rice
04-02-2007, 07:55 PM
The Jndjans are going to hit this year, no doubt, so the game was lost basically by one person, the one person who could actually do something about the Tribe's potent offense. Against Sabathia, you need to pretty much keep the Tribe to 4-5 runs or less to even have a chance, and Jose didn't do that today.

I was glad to see Ozzie sticking in a lot of new bullpen guys and getting their first Sox appearance out of the way. Even Molina got a chance to get his debut in.

It truly was "just one game" and I take nothing from it. We'll do it another 9 times to make it 10 games, and then we'll do that whole stretch 16 more times.

BainesHOF
04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Contreras just didn't have it today. You just have to sit back and take it and hope he rebounds strongly and has a good season. From the second half of 2005 through the first half of 2006 you could make a strong case that he was the best pitcher in baseball (even if we didn't score a lot of runs for him in the first half of 2006). Until I see a string of struggles from him, I believe Contreras will have a good season for us.

The negativity in the bleachers today was pretty bad. I understand how the game started, but it was just one game. It was a beautiful spring day, nobody was at work and we were watching baseball for the first time in months. Do so many people really not understand that a pitcher is going to have a handful of games in a season where he has nothing out there? It was just too bad Contreras had one of his bad games on Opening Day. Some people should really look in the mirror and ask themselves why they're so quick to be negative. It's like some people are more happy being miserable.

One last thing: I was disappointed that Ozzie batted Thome third today against such a tough lefty. I thought I heard talk during the spring about batting Dye or Konerko third against lefties followed by Thome and then Dye or Konerko. That makes a lot more sense to me than batting Thome third against a tough lefty.

UserNameBlank
04-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I agree on Jose, but we aren't going to need him to go on some long winning streak again. We just need him to be dominate in big games against big name pitchers, and with Garcia gone now I think Jose has become our #1 big game pitcher. Hopefully he just gets it done when we need it.

MCHSoxFan
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM

I agree. It is only one game out of 162 games. In my opinion, I think everyone did a good job, except for Jose. He made people turn away from the good things we did today. If he had a good outing, I think we would have won. I am not just saying this because of how poorly Jose did, but because if we were only down a run or two, our hitters would mentally be better to drive in a winning run.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Contreras just didn't have it today. You just have to sit back and take it and hope he rebounds strongly and has a good season. From the second half of 2005 through the first half of 2006 you could make a strong case that he was the best pitcher in baseball (even if we didn't score a lot of runs for him in the first half of 2006). Until I see a string of struggles from him, I believe Contreras will have a good season for us.

The negativity in the bleachers today was pretty bad. I understand how the game started, but it was just one game. It was a beautiful spring day, nobody was at work and we were watching baseball for the first time in months. Do so many people really not understand that a pitcher is going to have a handful of games in a season where he has nothing out there? It was just too bad Contreras had one of his bad games on Opening Day. Some people should really look in the mirror and ask themselves why they're so quick to be negative. It's like some people are more happy being miserable.

I understand the negativity. Jose ruined an other wise perfect day. And Sox fans expect to WIN. I'd rather be at a game where it's forty degrees and rainy and the Sox win then at a game where it's seventy and sunny and they lose.

MCHSoxFan
04-02-2007, 08:20 PM

I also aree wth you. Stariting pitching is the MOST important thing in all of baseball. Unfortunatley, we did not have good starting pitching today.:(:

MCHSoxFan
04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I understand the negativity. Jose ruined an other wise perfect day. And Sox fans expect to WIN. I'd rather be at a game where it's forty degrees and rainy and the Sox win then at a game where it's seventy and sunny and they lose.

I agree AGAIN. You really are saying everything perfectly!!! I would choose nothing over a White Sox WINNER! For example, last years Home Opener. It poured for hours. The Sox did win, though. That is all that matters!

Brian26
04-02-2007, 08:43 PM
The negativity in the bleachers today was pretty bad.

You should have heard the drunk guys in the bathroom blaming it all on the negative vibe of Steve Stone being piped in on the radio feed.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2007, 10:03 PM
You should have heard the drunk guys in the bathroom blaming it all on the negative vibe of Steve Stone being piped in on the radio feed.
Dusty Baker was at the Sox game today?

spiffie
04-02-2007, 10:29 PM
This was the best team in baseball when we all woke up this morning.

This is still the best team in baseball when we go to bed tonight.

To win 110 games you must still lose 52 of them. Now we have 51 more to lose.

RealMenWearBlack
04-02-2007, 10:35 PM
The only thing that really bothered me other than Jose was the 6th inning. We had a good rally started with the bases loaded with one out, and they should have at least gotten something out of that.

oeo
04-02-2007, 10:49 PM
The only thing that really bothered me other than Jose was the 6th inning. We had a good rally started with the bases loaded with one out, and they should have at least gotten something out of that.

I said it numerous times in the game thread, but I'll say it again. Gooch was terrible today; he didn't show much of anything. Hopefully it was just Sabathia...

soxinem1
04-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, the White Sox will not be in first place wire to wire again!:angry:

I thought Sisco and Bobby J looked pretty good. Aardsma was a little wild, but he was okay too.

schmitty9800
04-02-2007, 11:24 PM
2006 was a fluke with Jose's fast start, I believe he's always been a slow starter. I'm glad that he didn't stay out there and try to overthrow. He should be letting his sinker come to him, then he can start dominating.

Let's get them Wednesday.

gosox3072
04-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I was there today, and it was one of the worst played games for the white sox ive ever seen.
BUT i did catch erstad's homer in the 1st inning:bandance:

Its only one game and we have 161 left in the regular season, im not about ready to jump ship! We have Garland and Burhrle going the next few games, so lets take 2 out of 3 from the Indians!

russ99
04-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Agreed - Contreras was the only one out there struggling. But there are many positives. Sox can still take two of three from the Tribe. Just need Garland and Burls to pitch decent. Erstad may prove to be quite a pickup.

:cool:

Agreed. Erstad is a heck of a player if he can stay healthy. Also, I'm looking forward to Pods running riot on the basepaths on Wednesday.

My only disappointments today were (obviously) Contreras; Thome, who did nothing at the plate today - not what you want from your DH; and Iguchi, who looked totally out of place batting 7th. It's like he doesn't know what to do.

I expect improvement from all 3 the next time out.

johnr1note
04-03-2007, 07:43 AM
I was at the game too. I was wondering if anyone else felt that Jose was dipping his arm too much. He appeared to be almost sidearm a lot of the time, and I thought his success was when he threw three quarters.

And while Thome looked poor in his last ABs, in the first inning, he hit a towering flyball that nearly made the warning track in left. Sabbathia was hittable -- many of the early inning outs were hard hit balls right at fielders.

MCHSoxFan
04-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I was there today, and it was one of the worst played games for the white sox ive ever seen.
BUT i did catch erstad's homer in the 1st inning:bandance:

Its only one game and we have 161 left in the regular season, im not about ready to jump ship! We have Garland and Burhrle going the next few games, so lets take 2 out of 3 from the Indians!

Nice!!::smile: You are sooo lucky. Do NOT sell it on eBay. I just hate people who do that.:angry: :angry: :angry:

soxfan13
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Nice!!::smile: You are sooo lucky. Do NOT sell it on eBay. I just hate people who do that.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Cuz there is a huge market for Erstad home run balls:wink:

FedEx227
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I was at the game too. I was wondering if anyone else felt that Jose was dipping his arm too much. He appeared to be almost sidearm a lot of the time, and I thought his success was when he threw three quarters.

Not to mention he was tipping his forkball 2003 Yankees-style that and the fact that he couldn't get it over the plate worth a damn.

jabrch
04-03-2007, 11:41 AM

Outside of Jose, nobody actually played a particularly bad game. If this is the worst played game you have seen, you should consider yourself lucky. It was 2 bad innings - that's it.

FedEx227
04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Outside of Jose, nobody actually played a particularly bad game. If this is the worst played game you have seen, you should consider yourself lucky. It was 2 bad innings - that's it.

To be fair they were clearly the worst 2 innings we've seen in almost 3 years.

The Immigrant
04-03-2007, 11:57 AM
To be fair they were clearly the worst 2 innings we've seen in almost 3 years.

The slaughter at Wrigley field last summer (Sunday game, with Buehrle starting) was much worse, in my opinion. I think Buehrle gave up 7 ER in the first inning, with the likes of Neifi Perez and Zambrano taking him deep. That was the beginning of the team's decline last year. Hopefully yesterday's beating will wake them up.

FedEx227
04-03-2007, 12:02 PM
The slaughter at Wrigley field last summer (Sunday game, with Buehrle starting) was much worse, in my opinion. I think Buehrle gave up 7 ER in the first inning, with the likes of Neifi Perez and Zambrano taking him deep. That was the beginning of the team's decline last year. Hopefully yesterday's beating will wake them up.

I did forget about that one as well. But this has to rank up there because of it's time in the season, it's tough to come out of the gates looking that sluggish, not to mention throwing a gopher-ball on the 2nd pitch of the day.

hose
04-03-2007, 01:02 PM
What was discouraging to me was the Indians as ground hog day.

Hafner is unstoppable against Sox pitching, Sabathia continues to own the Sox, Martinez is murder.

gosox3072
04-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Even if there was a market for it....no, i will not be selling it on ebay This one is going in the case as my proudest memorabilia. Now i gotta get it signed by erstad somehow!