PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Only 2 days until Opening Day postgame thread

Jjav829
04-02-2007, 03:57 PM
That game didn't count, right? Right? I can't wait until Opening Day on Wednesday! :bandance:

Ok, WSI. You know the drill:
- Someone makes a ridiculous reactionary statement as if this game is an indicator of some larger problem, everyone jumps on them...
- Others make rational posts, yet get deemed "dark clouds..."
- Others chime in with the obligatory overly optimistic posts about how we're still the best team in baseball or something...
- Someone questions Ozzie as a manager...
- Some people provide humorous posts...
- Others use an overkill of teal on sarcastic "season is over" posts...
- And eventually someone says "this thread wouldn't have half as many replies if we won...."

It hasn't been that long, WSI. Only 6 months. So get to it and don't let us down...:bandance::bandance:

jdm2662
04-02-2007, 03:59 PM
There is one positive. There are 161 other games to look forward to...

stl_sox_fan
04-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Final means over!
Wednesday is a new day.

ShoelessJoeS
04-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Minus Jose, I think the team did pretty well as a whole today.

getonbckthr
This thread wouldn't have as many replies if we won.
There did my part Jjav.

vegyrex
Wow, that was brutal. What the heck happen to Jose?

thomas35forever
We've got 161 more games. We gotta put this game behind us and pretend it never happened.

At least we know our bullpen is strong.

I hate an offday after a loss.

161 more games to play. Looks like Jose needed one more spring start. I can never help from looking to the standings and hope Santana comes out rusty this evening too.

spawn
Man, Jose looks terrible. it's like spring training has carried on into this season. He wasn't that good ending the season last year, and now this. This is crap. He sucks. I wish we had Esteban Loaiza back!!!:angry: :angry:

:cool: :D:

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM

There were some positives. Sisco and Aardsma looked pretty good, Brian had a nice double in the 9th, Jenks was great. Too many negatives, though. :(:

MCHSoxFan
Could not said it any better! I just loved our BULLPEN!!

getonbckthr
So much for being undefeated. Did AJ get pulled so he could head for Atlanta?

WS in 05
04-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Minus Masset Bullpen looked Great

joebro25
04-02-2007, 04:02 PM

Exactly, I'm not going to get too angry about today's game. The only thing that worries me is Jose, this team really needs good starting pitching in order to win this year, we cannot have a year like '06 in regards in to the starting pitching.

Corlose 15
04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, the park looked great. I have to say those empty green seats down the lines look a lot better on TV than the blue ones did.

spawn
04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Take away the first 2 innings, and we tied them 3-3.

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Well, the park looked great. I have to say those empty green seats down the lines look a lot better on TV than the blue ones did.

And they definitely need to keep the fences clean. They look great right now.

getonbckthr
04-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Take away the first 2 innings, and we tied them 3-3.
Well unfortunately all 9 innings count.

MCHSoxFan
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Tigers LOST!! Yeeessssss!:supernana: :supernana: Twins play at 6:05. Hope this is the only game we loose!:D: :D: :D:

Flight #24
Jose: :o: :puking::club:
Masset: :whiner:
Sisco: :D:
Aardsma: :rolleyes:
Defense: :angry:
Situational hitting: :angry:
"Return to smallball"::cuss:

On the plus side, Ozuna & Erstad were OK, Anderson came through with a nice hit.

The best things about this game are that a)it's only 1 of 162, and b)the Indians bullpen looks like it is what we thought it was. However, as was knwon at the start of ST, if the pitching isn't any good, nothing else matters.

So far, Jose's coming off of a bad 2d half, a bad ST, and a horrible first start. That's a big concern. Were it just this game, not so much but it's starting to look like a trend.

SBSoxFan
This thread wouldn't have as many replies if we won.
There did my part Jjav.

yeah, but you screwed it up; it's supposed to be half as many! :D:

Oh, and the game kinda sucked to, but I still like our chances. (I hope that wasn't overly optimistic)

thomas35forever
Man, Jose looks terrible. it's like spring training has carried on into this season. He wasn't that good ending the season last year, and now this. This is crap. He sucks. I wish we had Esteban Loaiza back!!!:angry: :angry:

:cool: :D:
We can't undo what we did. If we hadn't made that trade, we might still have the second-longest WS drought in the Majors.

getonbckthr
04-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Alex Gordon gets his 2nd at bat coming up in the next half inning.

spawn
Well unfortunately all 9 innings count.
Since when?:wink:

pmck003
Good: Impressive that our bench was motivated enough to go out and get two in the bottom of the ninth. The pen from the third was not too shabby.

Bad: Contreras

I dunno: Masset

I usually dislike the day off tommorow, but it could be good here if the team can shrug off this start. Also could be bad if they dwell, but good if they dwell and get some revenge.

cheezheadsoxfan
Exactly, I'm not going to get too angry about today's game. The only thing that worries me is Jose, this team really needs good starting pitching in order to win this year, we cannot have a year like '06 in regards in to the starting pitching.

Same here. Hopefully Jose goes back to his form from early last year quickly.
Erstad looked good tho, and Jenks and Sisco and some nice defensive plays. Bring on Wednesday.

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Ozzie says Jose will be better next time...he can't get any worse. :wink:

Baby Fisk
Most inauspicious.

jdm2662

Well you know, 161-1 is not a bad record. :D:

Corlose 15

On the plus side, Ozuna & Erstad were OK, Anderson came through with a nice hit.

The best things about this game are that a)it's only 1 of 162, and b)the Indians bullpen looks like it is what we thought it was. However, as was knwon at the start of ST, if the pitching isn't any good, nothing else matters.

So far, Jose's coming off of a bad 2d half, a bad ST, and a horrible first start. That's a big concern. Were it just this game, not so much but it's starting to look like a trend.

I was very impressed with Aardsma's stuff, he's got a lot of movement on his pitches. Other than when he got a little wild he was good I thought.

Masset was decent, Sisco was good.

Jose was......

Also, there were some nice defensive plays.

getonbckthr
04-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Ozzie says Jose will be better next time...he can't get any worse. :wink:
He could give up 4 runs in just 1 inning and that would be technically better than his horse**** performance today.

WS in 05

Crown their asses?

ShoelessJoeS
God, I can't wait 'til Wednesday...

RowanDye
04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
We got more homers than them...

getonbckthr
04-02-2007, 04:10 PM
God, I can't wait 'til Wednesday...
Thats what sucks about this BS on 1 off 1 crap that we get every year. Memo to baseball they are capable of playing 3 days in a row out of the gates.

oeo

Aardsma was fine...he got in a little trouble, but I thought he did well to get out of it. JD could have got him at the plate, had he not screwed up and had to stop to catch it. The D was fine, too.

And "return to smallball"? Would you have rather they went for some bunt hits when down by 5+ runs? :?:

JB98

You're not happy with the defense? Uribe skipped that throw, and Paulie should have picked it. Other than that, we were fine. Ozuna and Erstad both made nice plays today.

Contreras just sucked. We never had much of a chance. We missed an opportunity to get back in it in the sixth, when Iguchi popped up and AJ struck out. Sabathia is tough.

Forget it. Get 'em Wednesday.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-02-2007, 04:11 PM
****ing Kenny has no ****ing idea what he did this offseason by trading Freddy and B Mac. This is all his ****ing fault. This ****ing team is ****ed over already.

OK - got that out of my system; can't wait for Wednesday!!! UD baby!!:cool:

spawn
04-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Indians- 1-0
White Sox- 0-1

All the runs they scored only counts as one win. We win Wednesday, we even the series. We win on Wednesday and Thursday, we win the series. That's all that really matters.

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Aardsma was fine...he got in a little trouble, but I thought he did well to get out of it. JD could have got him at the plate, had he not screwed up and had to stop to catch it.

And "return to smallball"? Would you have rather they went for some bunt hits when down by 5+ runs?

I hate all this small ball crap. That's not who we are. We are a home run hitting team. We have been a home run hitting team this entire decade, including the championship team in 2005.

I'm not upset about the offense today at all. I don't know why people think we should have played small ball. We were down 11-2, for God's sake. To come back from that kind of deficit, you're going to need a few big swings.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 04:13 PM
****, there goes the undefeated season

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Indians- 1-0
White Sox- 0-1

All the runs they scored only counts as one win. We win Wednesday, we even the series. We win on Wednesday and Thursday, we win the series. That's all that really matters.

We kicked their asses on Opening Day last year. They responded by winning the next two. Time for us to turn the tables.

WS in 05
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Thats what sucks about this BS on 1 off 1 crap that we get every year. Memo to baseball they are capable of playing 3 days in a row out of the gates.

If it would have been pouring all day and the game got cancelled they would have made it up tommorow and all the festivities would have been the same thats why they do that every year---Trust me today was not included in my plan and I am just as excited as you for wednesday because it is my first game--but thats the wy they have to do it.

You're not happy with the defense? Uribe skipped that throw, and Paulie should have picked it. Other than that, we were fine. Ozuna and Erstad both made nice plays today.

Contreras just sucked. We never had much of a chance. We missed an opportunity to get back in it in the sixth, when Iguchi popped up and AJ struck out. Sabathia is tough.

Forget it. Get 'em Wednesday.

I put that whole play on Uribe. With that said I believe that he had plenty of time to set his feet and throw out the runner accurately--it was Hafner running to first. Youn cannot to throw the ball into the ground and EXPECT your first baseman to pick it

Corlose 15
04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Indians- 1-0
White Sox- 0-1

So even if the Sox win the next two by only 1 run each time they still count as wins?

Hmm.:cool:

MCHSoxFan
04-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Well you know, 161-1 is not a bad record. :D:

That will be our record. We will WIN EVERY game for the rest of the season!:D:

Flight #24
04-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Aardsma was fine...he got in a little trouble, but I thought he did well to get out of it. JD could have got him at the plate, had he not screwed up and had to stop to catch it. The D was fine, too.

And "return to smallball"? Would you have rather they went for some bunt hits when down by 5+ runs? :?:
From the radio broadcast, sounded like Iguchi wasn't able to get a DP in, although they called it "nice baserunning". The bigger issue was with Jose struggling, Uribe/Paulie making the error (who it was doesn't really matter, the play needs to get made).

As for smallball: I'm talking about having a chance to get back into it with bases loaded 1 out and Iguchi & AJ having what sounded like bad ABs (and per Stone's commentary were bad).

It's the ability to execute that sets a team apart. Today Jose didn't, Masset was inconsistent, Uribe/Paulie didn't, and offensively they didn't. Sisco, Jenks, Anderson, Ozuna, Erstad all looked good, obviously Paulie as well (with the bat). Aardsma looked decent, although the walks make me go :rolleyes: since that's the rap on him.

Viva Medias B's
04-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I blame Rex Grossman. If it wasn't for him, we would have won this game.

Actually, I thought the Indians has a good game plan against Contreras. During BP, they kept hitting to right and right center, and it proved a successful strategy in the game. As for us, there were a number of bright spots in spite of Contraras' craptacular outing. In addition to his home run, I liked how Erstad ran down that fly ball in deep center.

slowlearner
At least no one got hurt and the Cubs lost. 161 more to play. It's a long season.

Flight #24
So even if the Sox win the next two by only 1 run each time they still count as wins?

Hmm.:cool:

Unless you're BP. Then the Tribe still has a lead in the standings because they'd have a higher run differential.

maurice
04-02-2007, 04:23 PM

I call dibs on this one!

He left Contreras in too long and/or pulled him too early (1 IP, 7 ER).
He shouldn't bat Thome 3rd against LHP (0-4, 2 Ks).
He should start Anderson every day (1.000 AVE, 3.000 OPS).

I was at the game so I missed the game thread. Did anybody complain that Anderson would have caught the ball that dropped 20' short of the warning track in CF? If nobody said it already, then I call dibs on that one too.

- - -

On a serious note, what can you say about a blowout? Yeah, that sucked. Go get 'em next time.

Uribe made a very nice play. He made a tough throw, yet it was on-line and it was an easy hop to pick. Konerko just acted like a statue and ole'ed it.

Massett looked pretty good in person. He also saved the rest of the pen by tossing 3 IP and 50 pitches. That's more pitches than our starter.

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:24 PM
From the radio broadcast, sounded like Iguchi wasn't able to get a DP in, although they called it "nice baserunning". The bigger issue was with Jose struggling, Uribe/Paulie making the error (who it was doesn't really matter, the play needs to get made).

As for smallball: I'm talking about having a chance to get back into it with bases loaded 1 out and Iguchi & AJ having what sounded like bad ABs (and per Stone's commentary were bad).

It's the ability to execute that sets a team apart. Today Jose didn't, Masset was inconsistent, Uribe/Paulie didn't, and offensively they didn't. Sisco, Jenks, Anderson, Ozuna, Erstad all looked good, obviously Paulie as well (with the bat). Aardsma looked decent, although the walks make me go :rolleyes: since that's the rap on him.

In fairness to Iguchi, a sacrifice fly isn't going to do us any good in that spot. We were down 11-3. You have to try to drive the ball there. If you pop out trying, so be it.

AJ was just overmatched by a tough lefty. Erstad had the only good left-handed swing against Sabathia all day, and that was on a hanging breaking ball.

WS in 05
At least no one got hurt and the Cubs lost. 161 more to play. It's a long season.

:dunno: :crossdresser

RockyMtnSoxFan
I usually dislike the day off tommorow, but it could be good here if the team can shrug off this start. Also could be bad if they dwell, but good if they dwell and get some revenge.

It could be bad if the Indians get a chance to settle in, but it could be good if the time off causes the Indians to lose their momentum. :cool:

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:26 PM

So you didn't even see the game and you're telling us what sucked? :rolleyes:

getonbckthr
04-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Dude seriously **** you. Who gives a damn what they do. They aren't in our division therefor they are equilavent to the Dodgers, Giants, Braves and Nationals AKA they don't matter.

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Dude seriously **** you. Who gives a damn what they do. They aren't in our division therefor they are equilavent to the Dodgers, Giants, Braves and Nationals AKA they don't matter.

He's a "slow learner." Go easy on him. :D:

cheezheadsoxfan
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Good line of thinking.:smile:

soxfan123
04-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Personally, I see this as a positive game. Yeah, Jose was bad. The Indians have a very good offense and it's Opening Day, which really isn' an indication of anything anyway because no team is even close to being in a rhythm. However, our bullpen looked composed, including Aardsma and Sisco. I liked what Jenks was doing as well. Maybe this will wake us up, which is my guess. I would not be surprised at all if we take this series.

santo=dorf
04-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Just remember, no opener can be as bad as the one in 1991. :(: I was at that game and it was a horrible experience.

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Just remember, no opener can be as bad as the one in 1991. :(: I was at that game and it was a horrible experience.

This game must have really been hard on you...Erstad is already proving you wrong.

Flight #24
04-02-2007, 04:32 PM
So you didn't even see the game and you're telling us what sucked? :rolleyes:

Are you saying listening to every pitch of a game renders one incapable of assessing performance or rendering an opinion? :rolleyes:

Contreras gave up a # of ropes. I didn't need to see that to understand it. Uribe/Konerko combined to commit an error with men on against a very slow runner. I don't need to see that to understand it. Bases loaded and Iguchi pops up, with a pretty clear description from Stone of a poor swing (consistent with what he'd done earlier).

If you want to say my assessment is clouded by missed analysis from the announcers, fine. But it's not like anything I'm saying is all that hard to even glean from a recap and a box score, let alone the play by play.

SoxSpeed22
04-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Now I'm worried that Jose's back isn't really fully recovered yet and this might carry over for some time. Also, Ozzie has really fell off as a manager since 2005.

Ok, a little obvious, but on the list somewhere.

HotelWhiteSox
04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Not a good game to judge overall. My only real worry was Jose. He reminded me of Freddy last year, but I don't know enough about pitching to know if it was just one of those bad outings where you can't find anything or what, we'll see his next starts. Masset was pretty much what I expected. I hadn't seen him, but didn't think he'd be some lights out sure thing. I loved getting Sisco and was happy to see him do well. I am optimistic about Aardsma too (for some reason I kept thinking he was lefty). The offense won't be a problem, but they seemed to close to that HR or nothing style with the individual atbats.

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Now I'm worried that Jose's back isn't really fully recovered yet and this might carry over for some time. Also, Ozzie has really fell off as a manager since 2005.

Ok, a little obvious, but on the list somewhere.

I don't think Jose's back had anything to do with his inability to throw an offspeed pitch for a strike.

Ozzie has won more games than any other manager in baseball the last two years.

SoxSpeed22
04-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't think Jose's back had anything to do with his inability to throw an offspeed pitch for a strike.

Ozzie has won more games than any other manager in baseball the last two years.Of course all of this was just a joke from JJav's first post on this thread.

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2007, 04:37 PM
This game must have really been hard on you...Erstad is already proving you wrong.
Seriously? There's nothing more that can be said about this. Anderson didn't exactly phone it in today, he was damn good as well.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Wait, today was opening day?! ****, I thought it started tomorrow for some reason...what happened?

santo=dorf
04-02-2007, 04:38 PM
LMAO

Erstad is doing the opposite of what he was "supposed" to do.

You're the same person who agreed with Ozzie that the Sox hit too many homers.

I have a problem with Erstad grinding out to second and not walking.
I don't have a problem with him hitting home runs (like you.)

I would like to hear some more about this ball that dropped in CF.

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Also, if Erstad going 1-4 is proving people wrong, I'm not sure I want to be right.

Free Brian Anderson.

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Are you saying listening to every pitch of a game renders one incapable of assessing performance or rendering an opinion? :rolleyes:

Contreras gave up a # of ropes. I didn't need to see that to understand it. Uribe/Konerko combined to commit an error with men on against a very slow runner. I don't need to see that to understand it. Bases loaded and Iguchi pops up, with a pretty clear description from Stone of a poor swing (consistent with what he'd done earlier).

If you want to say my assessment is clouded by missed analysis from the announcers, fine. But it's not like anything I'm saying is all that hard to even glean from a recap and a box score, let alone the play by play.

I'm talking about your judgement of defense. If you didn't see Uribe's throw, how can you judge that? I saw nothing wrong with Iguchi's play. Martinez stopped, so therefore Gooch would have had to charge him, tag him, and make the throw. Either way, I think he would have only gotten the lead runner.

TDog
04-02-2007, 04:44 PM

The Tigers lost an extra-inning game at home. In a few months I don't expect them to matter either.

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:45 PM
LMAO

First of all, you're the one who said he would not give us any power, that's why I said he's proving you wrong.

And secondly, I said "too many homeruns" in the sense that power slumps. AKA, they can't rely on hitting homeruns. I never once said that they should stop hitting homeruns or that I had a problem with Erstad hitting homeruns.

Here's my exact quote...
And yes, there is a such thing as hitting too many homeruns. Power slumps, and it showed numerous times throughout the season last year.

Phil Bradley
04-02-2007, 04:46 PM
One bright spot today was Steve Stone. The Sox need to keep him in the booth. Also, JC needs to shave that goatee. Clearly that was his evil twin out there.

Flight #24
04-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm talking about your judgement of defense. If you didn't see Uribe's throw, how can you judge that? I saw nothing wrong with Iguchi's play.

This is getting silly. A grounder is hit to SS by a slow runner. Characterized by the announcers as a play that should be made. An error is committed and (IIRC) runs score. There's not much more info that's needed to determine that's a bad play.

You want to say the error should be on Konerko rather than Uribe, that's fine. Whoever it's on, it's a bad play. It's the kind of play that should be made, especially when your starter is struggling.

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:48 PM
LMAO

I don't even know what people are talking about with this reference to a "ball that dropped in CF." The Uribe play was the only defensive play that was not made today.

I'm confident, though, that every time an opposing player laces a ball into the gap for extra bases, the Erstad haters will chime up with their "Anderson would have had it" crap. Erstad actually made a fine running catch in right-center today to help Sisco out in the sixth.

santo=dorf
04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
First of all, you're the one who said he would not give us any power, that's why I said he's proving you wrong.

And secondly, I said "too many homeruns" in the sense that power slumps. AKA, they can't rely on hitting homeruns. I never once said that they should stop hitting homeruns or that I had a problem with Erstad hitting homeruns.
...suuuurrreeee. Ozzie said we hit too many homers, and you completely twisted his point.

I guess Gil Meche will win the Cy Young award too since you're putting so much stock in single opening day outings.

.250/.250/1.000

But we need a guy who will hit lots of bloop singles!!! Who cares about SLG%?

JB98
04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
This is getting silly. A grounder is hit to SS by a slow runner. Characterized by the announcers as a play that should be made. An error is committed and (IIRC) runs score. There's not much more info that's needed to determine that's a bad play.

You want to say the error should be on Konerko rather than Uribe, that's fine. Whoever it's on, it's a bad play. It's the kind of play that should be made, especially when your starter is struggling.

It was a fine stop by Juan, but he just skipped the throw. It's a pick that Paulie should have made. Still an error by Juan, but I would have liked to have seen him get a little help from Konerko.

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:50 PM

It is a bad play, but you're generalizing the whole defense as bad because of one play.

oeo
04-02-2007, 04:54 PM
...suuuurrreeee.

So now you're telling me what I said? Read the quote, I put it right there for you.

Here...here it is again.
And yes, there is a such thing as hitting too many homeruns. Power slumps, and it showed numerous times throughout the season last year.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 04:55 PM

To be fair, it wasn't just a grounder to SS. It was a ball that Contreras almost had, and went through the middle of the field behind second base. Uribe made a pretty good play just to stop it. He threw from his knees a bit too quickly, the ball bounced and was low. It bounced off the bottom of Paulies glove and got by him. It wasn't like it was just a standard grounder to the SS. The error was really in Uribe's judgment of how much time he had to throw. And since it was kind of a weird play, it isn't exactly the same as screwing up a standard ground ball.

Jjav829
04-02-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm confident, though, that every time an opposing player laces a ball into the gap for extra bases, the Erstad haters will chime up with their "Anderson would have had it" crap. Erstad actually made a fine running catch in right-center today to help Sisco out in the sixth.

Ha, you know it's coming. Welcome to the new version of "Rowand would have had that." :smile:

Fuller_Schettman
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
After the game, in the owners box:

Linky (http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/index.php?module=see&lang=uk&code=324f78bcc48b4fb9e87aeca6f5204c2f)

JB98
04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Ha, you know it's coming. Welcome to the new version of "Rowand would have had that." :smile:

Exactly. We went through the same bull**** last year. I'll be the first one to admit it when Erstad misplays a ball. I didn't see him misplay anything today. Frankly, I think Pods' defense is a greater concern than Erstad. Frankly, I think Pods is a greater concern than Erstad period.

Corlose 15
04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I don't even know what people are talking about with this reference to a "ball that dropped in CF." The Uribe play was the only defensive play that was not made today.

Wow, this all sounds so familiar.:tongue:

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 05:06 PM

It was here all last year. Anytime Mackowiak started there was bitching about whether or not Anderson would have had it (And I was one of them. Mack should not have played CF). :smile:

JB98
04-02-2007, 05:09 PM
It was here all last year. Anytime Mackowiak started there was bitching about whether or not Anderson would have had it (And I was one of them. Mack should not have played CF). :smile:

At the start of last year, someone would lash one off the wall, and Anderson would get the "Rowand would have had it" raspberries from people here.

BA even said a lot of fans don't understand that not every ball is catchable. I have to agree with Brian on that point.

cbotnyse
04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I have a positive today.....The season is finally underway. :bandance: It feels good to have baseball back.

Jose sucked it up hard today, lets just hope we don't see that from any of our starting staff too often. It was ugly.

Jjav829
04-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Oh I know it was. Only last year it was kind of warranted because Mackowiak was really bad in center. Erstad is a much better defensive centerfielder than Mackowiak.

chisox77
04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
The park looked nice, didn't it?

:smile:

Fuller_Schettman
04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Oh I know it was. Only last year it was kind of warranted because Mackowiak was really bad in center. Erstad is a much better defensive centerfielder than Mackowiak.

True, but let us not forget, Erstad spelled backwards is "Dat's re!"

DrGozzie
04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
On the plus side, I missed the first 5 innings because of a school function with one of my kids. Brian had a nice hit, and we had a very fun moment at our house when the batter after Brian (sorry, I'm drawing a blank), hit a long ball - I was yelling at the t.v., telling the ball to get out, get out, get outta here - and my dog went trotting out of the room with his tail between his legs, LOL!

Fuller_Schettman
04-02-2007, 05:25 PM
On the plus side, I missed the first 5 innings because of a school function with one of my kids. Brian had a nice hit, and we had a very fun moment at our house when the batter after Brian (sorry, I'm drawing a blank), hit a long ball - I was yelling at the t.v., telling the ball to get out, get out, get outta here - and my dog went trotting out of the room with his tail between his legs, LOL!

Now THAT'S funny!!!!!

maurice
04-02-2007, 05:30 PM

Exactly. Hence my JOKING reference to the play in post #50.

Erstad was running pretty well today. Unlike Mackowiak, he doesn't run the wrong way when a ball is hit to CF, so that'll be a huge plus for the Sox this year. OTOH, he does have less range and will get to fewer balls than Anderson. Anderson catches just about every fly ball hit to CF and short of the track (as opposed a line-drive to the gap or off the wall). Erstad will only get 90% of them.
:cool:

TDog
04-02-2007, 05:31 PM
At the start of last year, someone would lash one off the wall, and Anderson would get the "Rowand would have had it" raspberries from people here.

BA even said a lot of fans don't understand that not every ball is catchable. I have to agree with Brian on that point.

I remember watching Ken Henderson make a great running catch in deep center early in the 1973 season. When the cheering died down, the man in front of me said Ken Berry would have been under the ball with time to drink a beer before making the catch.

Players always perform better when they are only performing in your imagination.

HotelWhiteSox
04-02-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure of the play people are talking about, but there was at least 1 gapper where people might not have noticed because it didn't look close, but I think it was just because he's too slow, BA probably would have made that play. I don't think Erstad is that much better than Mackowiak defensively

JB98
04-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure of the play people are talking about, but there was at least 1 gapper where people might not have noticed because it didn't look close, but I think it was just because he's too slow, BA probably would have made that play. I don't think Erstad is that much better than Mackowiak defensively

Bull****. Pure bull****. Are you aware the Angels won the World Series in 2002 with Erstad in CF? In his prime, Erstad was EVERY BIT as good as Anderson defensively. He won a gold glove as a CF. Whether he can still play that way over a long season remains to be seen, but you are embarrassing yourself by claiming that Mackowiak is in the same league as Erstad defensively.

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Bull****. Pure bull****. Are you aware the Angels won the World Series in 2002 with Erstad in CF? In his prime, Erstad was EVERY BIT as good as Anderson defensively. He won a gold glove as a CF. Whether he can still play that way over a long season remains to be seen, but you are embarrassing yourself by claiming that Mackowiak is in the same league as Erstad defensively.
2002, was, won, in his prime (i.e. not lately), remains to be seen, etc.

how on earth is this an argument? It's crazy to think Erstad is still capable of all that after his injuries.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 05:51 PM

how on earth is this an argument? It's crazy to think Erstad is still capable of all that after his injuries.

It's not an argument about if Erstad is as good as he was then, but if he's as bad as Mackowiak. And he's not. Mack was awful in CF and it wasn't his fault. He's not a CF. Erstad isn't as good as he was in 02, or as Anderson is now, but he's not as bad as Mack was last year.

kevingrt
04-02-2007, 05:54 PM
The weather was too nice today to be an Opening Day. Wednesday it is suppose to be in the high 30's with some wet snow, perfect for a true Opening Day.

Jurr
04-02-2007, 05:59 PM

They said the same thing about Dye. :rolleyes:

FarWestChicago
04-02-2007, 06:02 PM
It's not an argument about if Erstad is as good as he was then, but if he's as bad as Mackowiak. And he's not. Mack was awful in CF and it wasn't his fault. He's not a CF. Erstad isn't as good as he was in 02, or as Anderson is now, but he's not as bad as Mack was last year.You are correct. Only the rabid Erstad haters could subscribe to such silliness.

JB98
04-02-2007, 06:02 PM
They said the same thing about Dye. :rolleyes:

And Thome. :D:

JB98
04-02-2007, 06:04 PM

Fine, you win. Let's get rid of Erstad and give Mackowiak some starts in CF. After all, there is no difference between the two.

Jurr
04-02-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't know about any of you, but this game made me laugh a little, much the same way that the "pull everything out of your ass" playoffs of '05 did. Back then, I'd just throw up my hands and crack up about how easy everything looked. The first playoff game immediately came to mind.

Today, I hadn't even brought my lunch to my computer (which I'm reduced to watching - thanks, MLB!) before Sizemore blasted that first shot. I was standing about 4 feet from my computer desk and just stopped. :?:

After that, it was on like Donkey Kong. After the Erstad homer came, I told myself, "this game will end up ridiculous. Back and forth we go!", but that was not to be.

I just laughed this one away. Wow. It looked like a spring training game.
Well, I'm just glad that the Sox won't have the stresses of trying to maintain a 162 game winning streak throughout the season. The media pressure would just be too tough.

TomBradley72
04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
The winner of the pick to click today: US Cellular Field

It looks awesome.....best I've felt about our home park since 1990 :gulp:

We'll go get 'em in the snow on Wednesday.

HotelWhiteSox
04-02-2007, 06:36 PM

So? He was the CF when they won the World Series, that says nothing of his defense or how it compares to someone else on the team. I am watching 2007 games, such as spring training where he trips over himself to get to a simple flyball. Since we are looking at 01 stats, let's go get Bernie Williams, he won a gold glove that year too and he's not doing anything right now.

MarySwiss
04-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but two positives for me.

1) I went into my new boss's office and thanked him for hiring me back in January. When he looked at me as though I was nuts, I added, "Otherwise, I'd be home right now, throwing things at my big screen TV."

2) I was able to sucker my euphoric Tribe fan friend--who usually stays away from betting against me--into a "Sox finish higher than the Toons" bet.

Only downside I can see is that we can't go wire-to-wire this year. Come end of October, will we really give a ****?

maurice
04-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Erstad isn't as good as he was in 02, or as Anderson is now, but he's not as bad as Mack was last year.

Exactly.

As for JD, he also is not as good defensively as he was before his injuries. The effort and arm strength are still there, but he simply can't run the way he used to. As for Thome, he's an everyday DH now for a reason. Age / injuries limit his ability to play defense.

Craig Grebeck
04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
I was simply playing Devil's advocate. I know Erstad>Mack in CF, but to defend the notion using out of date statistics is asinine.

By the way, the "rabid Erstad haters" will go away when two things happen:

1- People admit BA got absolutely screwed
2- People stop comparing Erstad to Dye and Thome

LongLiveFisk
04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Please, no more openers against the Indians. I don't want to see C.C. ****ing Sabathia anymore! :mad:

There, got that out of my system. :D:

Now let's kick some Cleveland ass Wednesday! :)

spiffie
04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
I was simply playing Devil's advocate. I know Erstad>Mack in CF, but to defend the notion using out of date statistics is asinine.

By the way, the "rabid Erstad haters" will go away when two things happen:

1- People admit BA got absolutely screwed
2- People stop comparing Erstad to Dye and Thome
You can argue who would be the better choice to be the starting CF the majority of the time, but I would say it is nigh onto impossible for a player who hit .225 the year before and showed semmingly no baseball IQ whatsoever at the plate to ever be "screwed" out of a starting spot the next year. Unless he's replaced by a trained primate or a man with no legs, you are not so markedly better than the player who took your spot as to have that sort of complaint.

gobears1987
04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Outside of Contereras, this wasn't a bad game. Pitchers have good games and bad games. Contreras just couldn't locate today. Overall, I'm not worried about him.

I must say though I'm really high on our bullpen right now. To see rookies come in and respond the way they did was nice.

Jerry_Manuel
04-02-2007, 11:22 PM
That game didn't count, right? Right? I can't wait until Opening Day on Wednesday! :bandance:

Ok, WSI. You know the drill:
- Someone makes a ridiculous reactionary statement as if this game is an indicator of some larger problem, everyone jumps on them...
- Others make rational posts, yet get deemed "dark clouds..."
- Others chime in with the obligatory overly optimistic posts about how we're still the best team in baseball or something...
- Some people provide humorous posts...
- Others use an overkill of teal on sarcastic "season is over" posts...
- And eventually someone says "this thread wouldn't have half as many replies if we won...."

It hasn't been that long, WSI. Only 6 months. So get to it and don't let us down...:bandance::bandance:

End the thread. This was awesome.

soxfanatlanta
04-03-2007, 05:46 AM
I must say though I'm really high on our bullpen right now. To see rookies come in and respond the way they did was nice.

+1

After nearly running my car off the road a few times when JC was getting pummeled, the bullpen did a good job cooling off the Indians bats. Not a great way to start the season, but it's baseball.

SoxfaninLA
04-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I was contemplating taking a vacation day to go to the bar and watch the game today, I am glad I didn't go through with that decision. Didn't see any of the game obviously, but the bullpen's performance was very encouraging, particularly since none of these guys were probably expecting to come into the game so early with Jose on the mound. Contreras was obviously horrible, I will give Masset a pass, he was brought in with runners on in the home opener in the second freaking inning, he had to be pretty nervous.

Let's get the next two and send the Tribe out of town below .500 :smile:

04-03-2007, 10:27 AM
The worse part of yesterday was that I got Contrearas on my fantasy team and he gave me -10.5 points!

slowlearner
04-03-2007, 03:15 PM

Wow...take a deep breath, okay? I completely understand that whatever the Cubs (or flubs, or whatever you might prefer) do has as a minimal impact on the Sox. I imagine most people on this board know that (or I would at least hope so).

But for whatever reason, irrational though it may be, I still like it when the Cubs lose. Would I trade a cubs loss for a Sox win? Of course not, but all things being equal I'd rather watch them lose than win. If that warrants a **** you, well, then right back at you.

Calm down.

BRDSR
04-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Biggest positive about this game:

Jose being so bad gave Ozzie the chance to talk about Hosie quite often in the postgame show, and Erstad's two run homer in his first at-bat gave Ozzied the chance to talk plenty about Ersty.

I loooooooove Spanglish.