PDA

View Full Version : MLB: Is it just me...

larryepke
04-02-2007, 03:16 PM
or is the new layout on MLB.com Gameday impossible to understand?

There's a linescore in the upper right, but I can only see the first inning, and it's the third now. The picture never seems to update (which may be a sign that the server is overwhelmed, this being opening day). The boxscore is almost impossible to read, since you have to scroll thru a very tiny box.

Am I doing it wrong?

Nellie_Fox
04-02-2007, 04:32 PM
The new Gameday sucks. Way too much space dedicated to fancy graphics that are slow to load, unexplained information (what is the PFX listed by pitches, measured in inches like break is?) and not enough space to being able to figure out what has gone on in the past few innings.

HotelWhiteSox
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I like it. Here's what I see...

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gdpw3.jpghttp://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6948/gdyj1.th.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gdyj1.jpg)

Used it more in spring. It was pretty quick then, but didn't have this whole pitch dimension/trail thing.

SoxxoS
04-02-2007, 04:45 PM
The new Gameday sucks. Way too much space dedicated to fancy graphics that are slow to load, unexplained information (what is the PFX listed by pitches, measured in inches like break is?) and not enough space to being able to figure out what has gone on in the past few innings.

But stats are all that matter- Has WSI taught you nothing?

SBSoxFan
04-02-2007, 04:51 PM

I think it sucks too. That pfx thing has been asked several times in the gameday thread, but no good answers. Maybe it stands for pitcher effects, taking into account the height of the pitchers mound? :dunno:

stl_sox_fan
04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
It was something different to get used to. At least it was still slow, so some things stay the same.
Yeah if anyone finds out what pfx was, please share.

comiskey2000
04-02-2007, 06:23 PM
I also do not like it. The lower left box with the pitch-by-pitch has always been bad. The giant ad in the lower right was really in the way. The 'streaking' pitches are meaningless becuase they are usually off anyway and do not provide any useful information anyway. Hopefully it will not be as slow in the future. I am guessing there was a lot of people using it at work for Opening Day.

BiggestFan14
04-02-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't mind the new version, with the only horrible part for me is that it is way too slow.

oeo
04-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure what you guys are referring to when you say slow. If it's how fast the pitches are shown in respect to the game...it's no slower than it has always been. It has always been way behind the game; sometimes you're sitting there waiting minutes between pitches and suddenly 4 pitches have been thrown.

If it's the graphics being "laggy", I don't know because it was fine for me. :dunno:

I like it...although I would also like to know what pfx is.

EDIT: Found this, which doesn't give any information, more of a "teaser":
You may also notice a new statistics captured -- the pFX number. In the next few months we will be providing more information about these new statistics as well as tidbits about Gameday you might enjoy.
So I guess we'll find out in a month or so. :dunno:

The suspense is killing me.
http://gameday.mlblogs.com/

A. Cavatica
04-02-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree, it sucks. It took me until the fourth inning or so before I could even find the 'outs' indicator.

ESPN had a good baseball applet about five years ago, and it got worse and then got scrapped...so I switched to GameDay, which was no better, and has also gotten worse every year.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Eh, it doesn't seem a whole lot different from the last one for me. It would have been better if they upgraded the speed they update it at instead of the interface though.

HotelWhiteSox
04-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I tried to test out the speed while I was pitching, I'm on DSL and I was only a pitch behind. It takes time when something big happens, but in the bottom left it will say 'in play' and say if it's an out, run, or other before it details it all.

itsnotrequired
04-02-2007, 10:38 PM
They to offer the Gameday "classic" from last year. Let people pick if they want all the bells and whistles.

soxinem1
04-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I was looking at a couple games tonight and thought this was overkill.

And what's with the stupid thrown pitch that doesn't even go in the right location?

I prefer CBS Sportsline over MLB.

russ99
04-03-2007, 12:40 AM

I do like it, but it's way too slow. The score and baserunners at the top update a lot faster and it takes forever to give the results of an at-bat.

About haflway through the game I couldn't take it and switched to the faster, accurate Yahoo GameChannel.

ma-gaga
04-03-2007, 11:31 AM
They to offer the Gameday "classic" from last year. Let people pick if they want all the bells and whistles.

I actually liked MLB's version last year. It's still hard to tell at a glance what happened in earlier innings, but it was manageable. The new one just looks like the same, but harder to find the old info. At least they have the "classic" version option.

I prefer CBS Sportsline over MLB.

I agree. The updated Sportsline one is decent. I like the way that the main page is laid out. It feels like I'm looking at the "out of town scoreboard" at the ballpark.

MLB is nominally faster than CBS, but that's the only real advantage I can see with their product. :gulp:

FedEx227
04-03-2007, 07:16 PM
How do you switch to the classic Gameday look?