PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Bill!

Lip Man 1
04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
The greatest left hander in franchise history Billy "The Kid" Pierce turns 80 years young Monday.

Just spoke with him. He and his wife are doing well and yes he'll be at the opener watching the game.

He said it's a good day and that if the Sox win "it'll be a great day."

Lip

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/95/23/8f5f_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-topps-50-BILLY-PIERCE-WHITE-SOX-YELLOW-TEAM-NM_W0QQitemZ190097085763QQcategoryZ60486QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

TornLabrum
04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
I hope I look half as good as he does at 80. I saw him last at the WCSF Holiday Party. He's truly a nice guy.

WhiteSox5187
04-02-2007, 02:54 AM
Talk about a guy who should be in the Hall!! If he played for the Yankees, (the then Brooklyn) Dodgers or even the New York Giants, he'd be in the Hall. One of the best pitchers to ever don a Sox uniform. Happy birthday!

chisox59
04-02-2007, 06:12 AM
A truer statement was never made. If you go back and look at some of the voting by the baseball writers when Billy was eligible you'll find that Don Larsen used to get 10 to 12 times the number of votes that Pierce did. Larsen's lifetime record was 81-91 while Billy's was 211-169. The only thing Larsen ever did was throw the perfect game in the '56 series. Billy led the league at various times in wins, strikeouts, era, complete games and shutouts. If he had had the Yankee armada behind him it would have been frightening to think of the statistics he would have compiled. That's the difference....Larsen pitched a few seasons for the Yanks while Billy spent most of his time here in oblivion (and this is when the cubs weren't even Chicago's darlings let alone the country's). Happy birthday Billy You're a hall of famer to all of us who saw you pitch.

Wsoxmike59
04-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Happy Birthday Billy. The anchor of the White Sox pitching staff during the Go-Go Sox era.

My late father was still pissed off that Al Lopez didn't give Billy a start in the '59 World Series till the day he died.

But he always said, Pierce showed him though by posting a great season with the '62 Giants and pitching well in both games he started in the '62 World Series.

Happy Birthday again Billy P, you're a class act all the way!:happybday

soxrme
04-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Happy Birthday Billy. The anchor of the White Sox pitching staff during the Go-Go Sox era.

My late father was still pissed off that Al Lopez didn't give Billy a start in the '59 World Series till the day he died.

But he always said, Pierce showed him though by posting a great season with the '62 Giants and pitching well in both games he started in the '62 World Series.

Happy Birthday again Billy P, you're a class act all the way!:happybday
One of the best to ever wear the uniform. I agree that he should be in HOF.
I also to this day am in disbelief that Billy did not start game 6 in 1959. We went with Early Wynn on short rest.:happybday

soxinem1
04-02-2007, 07:17 AM
A truer statement was never made. If you go back and look at some of the voting by the baseball writers when Billy was eligible you'll find that Don Larsen used to get 10 to 12 times the number of votes that Pierce did. Larsen's lifetime record was 81-91 while Billy's was 211-169. The only thing Larsen ever did was throw the perfect game in the '56 series. Billy led the league at various times in wins, strikeouts, era, complete games and shutouts. If he had had the Yankee armada behind him it would have been frightening to think of the statistics he would have compiled. That's the difference....Larsen pitched a few seasons for the Yanks while Billy spent most of his time here in oblivion (and this is when the cubs weren't even Chicago's darlings let alone the country's). Happy birthday Billy You're a hall of famer to all of us who saw you pitch.

Despite the continued inability to achieve HOF status, BP has handled it with class, never openly bitter, and always a joy to talk to.

Unlike a certain cry-baby announcer eight miles north........

Here's to 80 more!!:bandance: :bandance:

cheezheadsoxfan
04-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Happy Birthday Billy, great pitcher and all around classy human.:happybday

MarySwiss
04-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Happy birthday and hopefully many, many, many more to come!
:happybday

Medford Bobby
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Next to Nellie Fox, Billy was 1950's White Sox baseball..........:happybday
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/marmaladeskyze/ebay_042.JPG

PaulDrake
04-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Happy Birthday again Billy P, you're a class act all the way!:happybday Billy also did this in the first game of a best of three playoff against the Dodgers in 62.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN196210010.shtml

He also came in to get the save in the 9th inning of the third and decisive game. Billy was my boyhood hero, and a big reason why I became a Sox fan as a really young kid a long time ago. I finally got an opportunity to meet him in 1999, and all the good things you hear about the man are true. He's intelligent, well spoken and has a nice wry sense of humor. Total class all the way, Billy is from another space and time. The almost total rejection he got from Hall of Fame voters, and later the Veteran's Committee is an abomination. I refuse to take the Baseball Hall of Fame voting seriously any more because of the treatment both he and Minnie Minoso received. If you don't think Billy Pierce deserves to be in the Hall of Fame fine. Just don't cast a vote for Don Larsen, Vernon Law, Bobby Shantz, Harvey Haddix or Carl Erskine ahead of him. In any case, Happy Birthday Billy. You'll always be my all time favorite White Sox player.

IlliniSox4Life
04-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Happy BDay Billy. A true Sox Legend.

Brian26
04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
The scoreboard today also noted that Sox legend Luke Appling was born on this day. Quite the coincidence.

Edit: Pierce born in '27, Appling born in '07.

caracascat
04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Winnigest lefthander of the 50's. If Al Lopez had a brian and pitched life we may have had anothe championship. A true legend!

Brian26
04-02-2007, 09:04 PM
If Al Lopez had a brian and pitched life we may have had anothe championship.

brain
pitch count
another

it was a long day.

skottyj242
04-03-2007, 10:36 AM
I hope I look half as good as he does at 80. I saw him last at the WCSF Holiday Party. He's truly a nice guy.

Really? I have heard he in a pretty big jerk. When my dad was the president of the Holy Name at Queen of Martyrs he had Don Paul and Billy Pierce come to talk baseball and sign autographs, he said that Pierce was one of the worst and most egotistical people he has ever dealt with.

Lip Man 1
04-03-2007, 10:38 AM
I've spent time at Bill's home and have called him up on the spur of the moment to talk baseball numerous times. I have a very, VERY hard time believing that Bill would be rude, arrogant or a jerk to anyone at anytime.

No offense to your dad but my experiences with Bill are completely the opposite of what he said.

Lip

skottyj242
04-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Well my dad was a huge fan of his growing up and now whever he hears his name he says that he's a jerk and doesn't like him anymore.

PaulDrake
04-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I've spent time at Bill's home and have called him up on the spur of the moment to talk baseball numerous times. I have a very, VERY hard time believing that Bill would be rude, arrogant or a jerk to anyone at anytime.

No offense to your dad but my experiences with Bill are completely the opposite of what he said.

Lip I only had the one experience mentioned, but my actions could have been interpreted as pushy. Bill was more than gracious, and he seemed appreciative that I knew a lot about his career. I also got the impression that he was grateful for the opportunity he got in 62, to make up for the disappointment of 59. Because of the jobs I've held, and the life I've led, I think I recognize arrogance and egotism, two characteristics I abhor. I detected none of that in Bill Pierce. For comparison purposes, I once met Chuck Tanner and found him to be a gracious and sincere man.