PDA

View Full Version : Question For the Number Crunchers

Procol Harum
03-21-2002, 11:33 AM
We've had some stuff posted here recently about the lack of correlation between having the best ST record and winning divisions and champeenships. Anybody have any data at their supple fingertips that shows how well teams with the worst record in ST have traditionally fared in terms of winning divisions and World Series? According to Sox fan Fred Huebner on the Score this morning, we currently own the dubious AL honors of having the worst record, whilst our North Side pals continue their proud tradition of stinking up the NL.

Iwritecode
03-21-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
We've had some stuff posted here recently about the lack of correlation between having the best ST record and winning divisions and champeenships. Anybody have any data at their supple fingertips that shows how well teams with the worst record in ST have traditionally fared in terms of winning divisions and World Series? According to Sox fan Fred Huebner on the Score this morning, we currently own the dubious AL honors of having the worst record, whilst our North Side pals continue their proud tradition of stinking up the NL.

I know I read an article that showed that somewhere. Just a few days ago too. I'll see if I can find it somewhere...

DrCrawdad
03-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I know I read an article that showed that somewhere. Just a few days ago too. I'll see if I can find it somewhere...

http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,178239,00.html
Chicago Tribune:

History lesson: A poor spring training record doesn't necessarily mean the Sox will have a bad season, but recent Sox history suggests their most successful teams have been ones that posted winning records in the spring.

In 1983, the Sox went 20-7 in spring training and won the West Division title by 20 games with 99 victories. In '93, they went 20-13 and won the Central Division title by eight games with 94 victories. In '94 they went 17-16 in spring and were leading the Central in August before the players' strike led to a cancellation of the rest of the season. In 2000 they went 18-14 in the Cactus League and won the Central by five games with 95 victories.

With a 7-15 record this spring, the Sox are on pace for their worst spring record since 1972, when they finished 9-15 in the Grapefruit League in Sarasota, Fla. But that '72 team surprised everyone with 87 victories, challenging Oakland in the first year of the Dick Allen era.

RichH55
03-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,178239,00.html
Chicago Tribune:

History lesson: A poor spring training record doesn't necessarily mean the Sox will have a bad season, but recent Sox history suggests their most successful teams have been ones that posted winning records in the spring.

In 1983, the Sox went 20-7 in spring training and won the West Division title by 20 games with 99 victories. In '93, they went 20-13 and won the Central Division title by eight games with 94 victories. In '94 they went 17-16 in spring and were leading the Central in August before the players' strike led to a cancellation of the rest of the season. In 2000 they went 18-14 in the Cactus League and won the Central by five games with 95 victories.

With a 7-15 record this spring, the Sox are on pace for their worst spring record since 1972, when they finished 9-15 in the Grapefruit League in Sarasota, Fla. But that '72 team surprised everyone with 87 victories, challenging Oakland in the first year of the Dick Allen era.

Translation: Spring Training is next to meaningless