PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day on ESPN 2?

Whitesox029
04-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Am I mistaken or has the Mets-Cards game tonight actually been relegated to ESPN 2 for women's college basketball? Not that it really matters or anything, but it makes the inaugural game of Major League Baseball (National Pastime) seem less important than a semifinal college game in a league in which maybe one in 50 people can name any one player, in a sport that, according to polls, is just as popular as Hockey (which ESPN doesn't even run anymore). Am I crazy, or is the more important game usually on the primary channel?

NDSox12
04-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Am I mistaken or has the Mets-Cards game tonight actually been relegated to ESPN 2 for women's college basketball? Not that it really matters or anything, but it makes the inaugural game of Major League Baseball (National Pastime) seem less important than a semifinal college game in a league in which maybe one in 50 people can name any one player, in a sport that, according to polls, is just as popular as Hockey (which ESPN doesn't even run anymore). Am I crazy, or is the more important game usually on the primary channel?

Its been like that for a few years now. In fact, the Sox/Indians game was on ESPN2 last year. Honestly, I don't care since I get both channels in HD anyway.

Timmy D's
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Well it is the Mets/Cards after all. It was either Womans hoops or tournament bass fishing I think.:redneck

Whitesox029
04-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Its been like that for a few years now. In fact, the Sox/Indians game was on ESPN2 last year. Honestly, I don't care since I get both channels in HD anyway.
I don't remember it ever being that way...of course, pretty much anyone who gets ESPN gets ESPN 2, so it doesn't really matter THAT much, but it would be like Ozzie starting Cintron at third tomorrow and sitting Crede for no real reason, if you ask me.

Huisj
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
It's probably some kind of contractual issue with the NCAA or something.

I want Mags back
04-01-2007, 07:32 PM
It's probably some kind of contractual issue with the NCAA or something.

yeah thats what ive heard

oeo
04-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Why would it seem less important? ESPN = ESPN2. They're just two channels, both of which most people have. Maybe before there would be a difference, but that's no longer the case.

DarkHorse35
04-01-2007, 07:44 PM
The only reason it would ahve been a big deal was years ago when I remember having ESPN, but not the deuce which was a somewhat of a novelty.

SoxSpeed22
04-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Related to the actual game, when the hell did Manos learn how to do that?!
5-1 Mets.

hi im skot
04-01-2007, 09:42 PM
National League Baseball...snoozefest.

Nice to see Jose flash some leather, though. :cool:

QCIASOXFAN
04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
When did Alou go to the Mets?:?:

PKalltheway
04-01-2007, 09:48 PM
National League Baseball...snoozefest.
I'm just glad that the baseball season has finally started regardless of who's playing. I am a Sox fan, but I'm also a baseball fan in general.

I also kinda like how Sunday Night Baseball in the past couple of years will show the defending World Champions in their first game (i.e. 2007 Cardinals, 2006 White Sox, 2005 Red Sox).

Edit: On another note, the game just ended and Glavine is just 9 wins away from 300.

Frontman
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Not that I'm a Cards fan by any stretch, but....

Man, you mean to tell me that ESPN couldn't even give them a decent opening day video like the Sox got last year? I still have that vid on my myspace page. It still brings me thrills to see how cool it was for the nation to give the Sox and the city of Chicago a bit of a prop.

Instead, its all about "opening day" showing mostly *gasp* Yanks, Sox, and Bonds. I mean, it IS the Cardinals, but man, it would of at least been polite to give St. Louis some props.

ESPN=garbage. Glad the Sox aren't scheduled to be broadcast on ESPN this year.....

hi im skot
04-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm just glad that the baseball season has finally started regardless of who's playing. I am a Sox fan, but I'm also a baseball fan in general.

Oh, absolutely...but that wasn't exactly an action-packed two and half hours.

In this case, I guess it's got less to do with the National League (which I still say can't compete with the AL) and more to do with the fact that I'm just dying to watch the Sox.

oeo
04-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Not that I'm a Cards fan by any stretch, but....

Man, you mean to tell me that ESPN couldn't even give them a decent opening day video like the Sox got last year? I still have that vid on my myspace page. It still brings me thrills to see how cool it was for the nation to give the Sox and the city of Chicago a bit of a prop.

Instead, its all about "opening day" showing mostly *gasp* Yanks, Sox, and Bonds. I mean, it IS the Cardinals, but man, it would of at least been polite to give St. Louis some props.

ESPN=garbage. Glad the Sox aren't scheduled to be broadcast on ESPN this year.....

I'm sure at least one game will be picked up.

HotelWhiteSox
04-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I enjoyed it, great to see some baseball that actually mattered.

It's been on ESPN2 a few years now. I don't remember before then, but I specifically remember the Red Sox/Yankees opener on ESPN2 years, mainly there because pretty much nobody carried ESPN2HD at the time, and they wanted people to call thier companies to bitch about carrying it. I know a lot of people on AVSforum were up in arms about it, especially then when it wasn't as easy to find HD.

PKalltheway
04-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Oh, absolutely...but that wasn't exactly an action-packed two and half hours.

In this case, I guess it's got less to do with the National League (which I still say can't compete with the AL) and more to do with the fact that I'm just dying to watch the Sox.
Hey, it's all good, I can't wait to watch the Sox either! It feels so good to have baseball back again!:D:

hi im skot
04-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Hey, it's all good, I can't wait to watch the Sox either! It feels so good to have baseball back again!:D:

:supernana:

DSpivack
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Make fun of women's hoops all you want, but that UNC-Tenn game was a lot more exciting than saturday's two snoozefests.