PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Criteria For Being Sox #5 Starter

Procol Harum
03-21-2002, 11:16 AM
In light of our prospective #4 starter Mr. Wright's having been shelled yet again yesterday (3/20--8 runs), how many runs per game do you think a Sox pitcher will be able to give up and still qualify for the #5 slot?

pearso66
03-21-2002, 11:32 AM
i dont think it matters, i think rauch won the job

Iwritecode
03-21-2002, 11:36 AM
I think the criteria to even be a starter is to not have had surgery last year while pitching for the major league team. Burly, Ritchie, Garland, Wright, Rauch.

I'm still kinda wondering why they put Glover in the set up role. Besides Howry, he's the only pitcher not coming off surgery that will likely make the team.

CiscoCarlos
03-21-2002, 01:04 PM
I still can't figure out why Wright is penciled in for no. 4. He was unimpressive in Birmingham last year (only 7-7 for a double-A team), wildly erractic with the Sox (5.70 ERA) last year and totally unimpressive this spring training with a double-digit ERA.

Others, including Glover, have pitched better. Maybe, Nardi just has a hunch :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-21-2002, 02:13 PM
Sorry. We''ve played enough games this spring to be officially concerned about the bottom-half of the rotation. If the Sox aren't prepared to add pitching help before opening day, count it as the single-greatest reason to believe the Sox aren't serious about winning ANYTHING this year. Pitching was suppose to be this team's strength, remember?

What scares me is KW trying to blame the media for being negative about the pitching staff. What planet is he residing on?

:KW
"The boss told me to circle the wagons."

:reinsy
"I've trained him well, don't you think?"

Procol Harum
03-21-2002, 04:42 PM
[i]
What scares me is KW trying to blame the media for being negative about the pitching staff. What planet is he residing on?

[/B]

Unfortunately, we all know which one . . . Planet Reinsdorf.
:reinsy
"There is absolutely no empirical correlation between our pitching staff's youth, its series of multiple injuries, our unwillingness to sign free agent pitchers, our traditional refusal to make long-term deals with pitchers, and our pitching staff's lousy spring training performance with the writing of evil reporters who are sowing pessimism about our chances of winning the World Series in 2002."

RichH55
03-21-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
I still can't figure out why Wright is penciled in for no. 4. He was unimpressive in Birmingham last year (only 7-7 for a double-A team), wildly erractic with the Sox (5.70 ERA) last year and totally unimpressive this spring training with a double-digit ERA.

Others, including Glover, have pitched better. Maybe, Nardi just has a hunch :smile:

The Wright thing has puzzled me as well...he can look lights out at times, but not often enough for the rotation....I think KW was really counting on Parque being able to be that 3rd starter....but I dont think there are many deals out there the last week of ST so we might have to wait until May or late April for those Rowand for Lidle type rumors to start surfacing again