PDA

View Full Version : Herald - Expect Iguchi signed by Opening Day

HotelWhiteSox
03-31-2007, 10:56 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp

To be fair, it sounds more like pure speculation/guessing, unless he has heard something.

Monday is the deadline set by White Sox general manager Kenny Williams to get deals done, or itís wait until the end of the year.

With the window just about closed, donít be surprised if one of the three is locked up before the Sox take the field against the Cleveland Indians on Monday afternoon at U.S. Cellular Field. Iguchi fits the profile.He says 3 years 15 mill

oeo
03-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Gooch is the guy I'm least worried about coming back...he'll be here.

And we can't lose him, he's our way to Ichiro.

sox1970
03-31-2007, 11:01 AM
Gooch is the guy I'm least worried about coming back...he'll be here.

And we can't lose him, he's our way to Ichiro.

I really believe Podsednik is still on the Sox because they didn't want to go out and get a guy that would be here long term. Ichiro will be on the radar.

WhiteSox5187
03-31-2007, 11:32 AM
I do think we need Iguchi because I can't think of another second basemen for us to get. I'd like us to be able to lock up either Buerhle or Dye before the start of the season too. But if we take the Konerko approach with them, I'm not going to complain.

Huisj
03-31-2007, 12:23 PM
I do think we need Iguchi because I can't think of another second basemen for us to get. I'd like us to be able to lock up either Buerhle or Dye before the start of the season too. But if we take the Konerko approach with them, I'm not going to complain.

The Konerko approach is to win a world series and then have them speak at the rally and get them to say something about doing it again next year so that they feel like they've got to sign with the sox, right? :smile:

jabrch
03-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Iguchi is very important to the Sox since we don't have a viable 2B backup plan in the system right now. We can more easily afford to lose a better player like JD since we can replace him easily (and inexpensively) although not as well. If Iguchi leaves, we are forced to go to the FA market to replace him.

WhiteSox5187
03-31-2007, 01:18 PM
The Konerko approach is to win a world series and then have them speak at the rally and get them to say something about doing it again next year so that they feel like they've got to sign with the sox, right? :smile:
EXACTLY!

BRDSR
03-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Iguchi is very important to the Sox since we don't have a viable 2B backup plan in the system right now. We can more easily afford to lose a better player like JD since we can replace him easily (and inexpensively) although not as well. If Iguchi leaves, we are forced to go to the FA market to replace him.

I disagree. Dye's presence in the lineup is so much more important than Iguchi's. A player like Dye cannot be replaced, whether from the system or by free agency. I player like Iguchi can be replaced, although in the Sox' case, probably only through free agency. Furthermore, I think that because of the type of player Dye is, we will see less of a drop-off in his production over the next three years than we will in Iguchi.

Iguchi is a solid second basemen, but solid second basemen are not exactly the most rare commodity in baseball. While his overall numbers were actually up slightly in 2006 over 2005, I thought he brought less to the lineup. His situational hitting was just not as good. Part of this could be attributed to Podsednik's injuries and less production but not all of it. I think Iguchi's performance in 2006 was one of the reasons we manufactured less runs and won less 1-run ballgames than in 2005.

If the Sox are set on signing one of the three by Opening Day, I hope they focus on Dye and not Iguchi, just because Iguchi will be easier and less expensive to sign.

ondafarm
03-31-2007, 04:06 PM
If Iguchi's situational hitting was down a little in 2006 from 2007 that is mostly on Pods.

Pods production was way down and he was nowhere near the disruptive factor he was in 2005. This is exceptionally important for Iguchi because he is a pure-fastball hitter. If the opposition is worried about a guy running, they will throw more fastballs. Iguchi, always looking for the fastball, is very productive in those situations.

His defense is fundamentally solid. That is precisely what the Sox need in the middle of their infield, especially with a guy like Uribe, an intuitive ifielder, at SS.

Iguchi can probably be signed for a reasonable amount. I think that's a great idea.

IlliniSox4Life
03-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Iguchi will be back. He's got too much value to not be back, and he hasn't exactly gotten a ton of attention where teams like the Yanks and Red Sox would want to steal him away by offering him sick money.

GlassSox
04-01-2007, 09:19 PM
We definitely need to keep Iguchi. I haven't been able to find anything else about it. Has anyone seen anything else?

thomas35forever
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
If Iguchi doesn't come back, I just might lose all faith in Kenny. He signed him, so he has to keep him.

A. Cavatica
04-01-2007, 10:12 PM
I love Iguchi - but three years? He will be a defensive liability in three years.