PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Guillen gets 4 yr/ $48 milion extension

soxinem1
03-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Sounds a bit exscessive for an injury plagued guy who will be a DH in a couple years:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10098212

The Immigrant
03-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Absolute insanity. Where does this put Crede's value, at $15m/year?

gobears1987
03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
This is the same team that was dumb enough to bow before Bora$$'s demands in regards to Jagglio.

IndianWhiteSox
03-31-2007, 06:06 AM
I can' t believe that a guy like this:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/guillca01.shtml

Got a deal like that. I know numbers don't tell the story, but at this rate, he seems like he'll be 1st baseman in the next few years due to his declining range. But then again, they really don't seem to have a plan in the future for 1B, so it might not be a bad deal either way. Though for some reason, I think that had he not stayed in Detroit, he would have been signed to a massive deal by the Blow Sawx.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2007, 10:24 AM
I think it's great that Michael Illitch is spending $48 million of his own money on Carlos Guillen. I encourage him to keep doing so for everyone on that 2006 A.L. champion team.

The more he gives these guys, the less he has available for building a future champion team... you know, the kind that doesn't lose 4 out of 5 to the mighty St. Louis Cardinals.

:roflmao:

Oblong
03-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Obviously his health is a concern, which is why he'll be making considerably less than the other shorstops in his league. When Jeter's making $20 million a year, $12 million for a healthy Guillen is a steal.

Player A:

0.315/0.381/0.468

PA: 2188

Player B:

0.320/0.384/0.508

PA: 1566

Player C:

0.319/0.365/0.485

PA: 2219

Player D:

0.315/0.363/0.516

PA: 2138

FedEx227
03-31-2007, 11:16 AM
That's a pretty bad comparison. Because about 3/4th of the smart baseball population could tell you Jeter is overpaid and overrated.

But it's not a bad value, unfortunately these big contracts are going to keep a lot of these guys in-house well past their prime which can be a concern, especially for a team that appears to have a very strong farm system.

Oblong
03-31-2007, 11:38 AM
But the market isn't set by what we think they should make. It's set by what's actually being paid. I agree that Jeter's overrated and thus overpaid but agents use that to bargain with clubs and there's a lot of dumb clubs out there.

I was fairly surprised that the deal was signed. When they'd ask Dombrowksi about it he'd give his usual evasive "We don't discuss negotiations with the media" but he'd also make emphasized that a strong organization will reach a point where they simply can't afford to keep everybody. If you reach your goal of developing good players then those players will get expensive.

I think it's a fair deal. Both sides compromised. The 4th year is risky but he would have gotten more on the open market. There's no middle infielders in the system that are obvious replacements and what's the point in getting a free agent when you can get Guillen.

We've reached the point in baseball where the last year in contracts to free agent eligible players are pretty much a throwaway.

In 3 or 4 years there will be plenty of bargain shopping on the North Side of Chicaog. "Take my wife please".

maurice
04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm not going to say it's a bad deal until we can determine whether Guillen can play a significant # of games at SS over the next 4 years. That's not a great bet, since he's hurt all the time.

It's true that Jeter is a terrible comparison. Isn't this essentially Tejada money (except that this deal was inked years later)? Furcal recently broke the bank on a per year basis. What does Renteria make?