PDA

View Full Version : The team is ready, the park is ready, and here's the proof

Frontman
03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey gang,

My brother finished working at the Cell today. Suitcases have started arriving, the gear it getting hung, and the park looks absolutely awesome. Here's the best shots, and as the old phrase goes, a picture is worth a thousand words:

ENJOY!

Go get 'em, White Sox!

03-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Go get 'em, White Sox!

Is there a single blue seat left in the building? Looks nice. Thanks!

chisoxmike
03-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Very nice.

chisoxmike
03-30-2007, 03:23 PM

There are two.

jabrch
03-30-2007, 03:23 PM

There are 2 blue seats left in the building...

Frontman
03-30-2007, 03:24 PM

I can't tell if its a person or if the seat is blue, just above and right of the bullpen in the first photo.

The Immigrant

There's at least two left in the outfield. :cool:

soltrain21
It appears Sisco made the team..?

BainesHOF
03-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I want a couple of those black World Series champion recliners from the clubhouse.

IlliniSox4Life
03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow, it looks great. The new grass is lookin good too.

Iwritecode
03-30-2007, 03:33 PM
I can't tell if its a person or if the seat is blue, just above and right of the bullpen in the first photo.

That is where Konerko's grand slam in game 2 of the WS landed.

Frontman
03-30-2007, 03:34 PM
That is where Konerko's grand slam in game 2 of the WS landed.

That's where I thought it landed. Still could be a groundsperson, but I think that one of "the seats."

Iwritecode
03-30-2007, 03:34 PM

A completely dumb question that I've always wondered for years but never bother to ask. Does anyone know how they gets those lines n the grass like that?

Do they mow it in different lengths or what?

HawkDJ
03-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Damn those recliners look comfortable. And they have cup holders!

CLR01
03-30-2007, 03:36 PM
There are 2 blue seats left in the building...

I wonder if they replaced all of the folding chairs they use in the handicap sections. Those were all blue.

Love the new grass pattern. The old one was was getting...well...old.

Frontman
03-30-2007, 03:36 PM
A completely dumb question that I've always wondered for years but never bother to ask. Does anyone know how they gets those lines n the grass like that?

It's mowed in rows, so I thought it just was "the cut" as it were.

Whitesox029
03-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I wonder if they replaced all of the folding chairs they use in the handicap sections. Those were all blue.

Love the new grass pattern. The old one was was getting...well...old.
It's not really that much different...actually the infield is the same. But it does look good.

chisox77
03-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Great job with the visuals again, Frontman. Park looks great, and the clubhouse looks sweet.

:cool:

Iwritecode
03-30-2007, 03:39 PM
That's where I thought it landed. Still could be a groundsperson, but I think that one of "the seats."

I just checked. That's section 159. It is one of the blue seats.

Jerko
03-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I never thought I'd say this but this weekend can't go by fast enough. I can't wait till Monday.........

Iwritecode
03-30-2007, 03:41 PM
It's mowed in rows, so I thought it just was "the cut" as it were.

I've seen some pretty intricate designs in the grass and just wondered how they manage it.

Nellie_Fox
03-30-2007, 03:41 PM
I want one of those recliners in the third picture. Seriously.

edit: Hmmm. 1300 bucks. I don't think the wife will go for it. http://shop.mlb.com/sm-dreamseats-chicago-white-sox-recliner--pi-2428390.html

CLR01
03-30-2007, 03:42 PM

Its the way the grass is bent. Your lawn mower does it too but in much smaller stripes. Purchase a reel mower for the best effect. They use a riding mower with three (maybe more) reels which covers about a 70" width each cut. There may also be rollers attached to the rear of the mower.

Frontman
03-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Great job with the visuals again, Frontman. Park looks great, and the clubhouse looks sweet.

Thanks, but its just me getting to show off about my brother. He's the one with all the luck! :D:

True story. He was/is a huge Dan Marino fan. Working a job downtown a few years back, who does he run into?

Marino. Got his picture taken with him and everything.

So yeah, its been a fun offseason. I can't wait to get to the park myself this year!

Front

Zisk77
03-30-2007, 03:43 PM

Actually they have a john deere like machine with a big rolling pin like wheel that pushes the grass over. They simply come back the the other direction and push the grass over the other way on the way back. I saw them do this before a miriners doubleheader in 2000.

HawkDJ
03-30-2007, 03:44 PM
They roll/bend the grass in different directions. It affects the way light reflects off the grass and changes the color that our eyes see it as.

INSox56
03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
A few things:
1) that kicks major ass
2) that's definitely new grass
3) the pattern on the OF grass looks to be different and awesome
4) this kicks major ass
5) The sox clubhouse is MUCH bigger than the visitor's clubhouse!
6) THAT KICKS MAJOR ASS!

thank you :D:

I want Mags back
03-30-2007, 03:55 PM
the new grass pattern sucks. ill miss the straight lines. they may have been bland but they were Bossard's signature

skobabe8
03-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Good job guys noticing the different grass pattern. I cant believe I didnt notice when I first looked at the pictures. The old pattern was used for YEARS and I was never a huge fan of it. I always thought it was a Bossard family tradition to not change the pattern EVER. :D:

Other things I noticed:

-The ads that bookend the retired numbers are now white and look better IMO (Comcast & something else).:thumbsup:

-The banner on the Fundamentals deck is no longer of a new Pontiac. It looks like players. Looks better.:thumbsup:

-Theres a red ad in the LF corner.

-It also appears that they extended the cut of the grass in dead center field to mirror the shape of the fence. In years past it was a smooth arch. Now it looks like it angles out where the fence does. :thumbsup:

jsg-07
03-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Awesome pics Thanks!!!

I had no idea they were changing the grass too.. Looks awesome.

Ahh.. the sight of that nice green grass and the inside of the stadium immediately gave me a craving for a kosher and a lite beer!!:gulp:

skobabe8
03-30-2007, 03:58 PM
ALSO: There are new signs for the parking lots. The old rusty blue signs with white poles have been replaced by new green signs that look like the rest of the signage. And pinwheels are being used on these signs. looks AWESOME. 2 thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jabrch
03-30-2007, 04:01 PM
the new grass pattern sucks.

Just when I think I have seen someone complain about the most worthless thing ever, you start complaining about how the grass is mowed.

What's next? Someone complaining about the color of the seats?

soxfan80
03-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I want a couple of those black World Series champion recliners from the clubhouse.they sell them online

Bucky F. Dent
03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Thank, Front!

Been a horse hockey Friday, but seeing those photos of the outfield being watered brought a simile to my face.

gobears1987
03-30-2007, 04:15 PM
There are two

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

chisoxmike
03-30-2007, 04:16 PM
ALSO: There are new signs for the parking lots. The old rusty blue signs with white poles have been replaced by new green signs that look like the rest of the signage. :

...with new parking prices??? :D:

DieTrying79
03-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Beautiful pictures, I can't wait for Monday...

Dibbs
03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Can't believe they have the old clunky box tube TVs hanging in the clubhouse.....can't they swing for some plasmas?!?

Vernam
03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I want one of those recliners in the third picture. Seriously.

edit: Hmmm. 1300 bucks. I don't think the wife will go for it. http://shop.mlb.com/sm-dreamseats-chicago-white-sox-recliner--pi-2428390.html

Nellie, I'll split it with you, and you can sit in it any time you visit my house. :wink:

That WS05 Champs logo on the recliner is killer.

Vernam

dakuda
03-30-2007, 05:41 PM

WHen they mow, there is a drum w/sand in it. It bends the blades of the grass in the direction of the mower, the light reflects off the bent blades differently, and that gives you your patterns. Basically.

Maybe I should read the entire thread before answering something for the 500th time.:club:

saltwater farmer
03-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Prediction: the grass pattern will change before Monday's game. But I'm more excited to see the action on top of it!

AZChiSoxFan
03-30-2007, 07:02 PM
I never thought I'd say this but this weekend can't go by fast enough. I can't wait till Monday.........

Totally agree. Every year, this is far and away my least favorite weekend.

Chez
03-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey. I looked at the first photo closely and no one cleaned up the beer cups and peanut shells from under my seat. :D:

Frontman
03-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey. I looked at the first photo closely and no one cleaned up the beer cups and peanut shells from under my seat. :D:

You know, I thought the same thing. Those onions from the brat I had at the season ender should be swept up before Monday!

LongLiveFisk
03-30-2007, 09:57 PM
A few things:
1) that kicks major ass
2) that's definitely new grass
3) the pattern on the OF grass looks to be different and awesome
4) this kicks major ass
5) The sox clubhouse is MUCH bigger than the visitor's clubhouse!
6) THAT KICKS MAJOR ASS!

You forgot
7) WE TOLD YOU THE GREEN SEATS WOULD LOOK BETTER THAN THE BLUE SEATS!!

voodoochile
03-30-2007, 10:01 PM
You forgot
7) WE TOLD YOU THE GREEN SEATS WOULD LOOK BETTER THAN THE BLUE SEATS!!

Honestly I can't even believe it's the same ballpark. It looks amazing.

Hey, Brooks, market some pictures of the ballpark. Time to counter some of the negative pub you have gotten through the years...

Jerry_Manuel
03-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Honestly I can't even believe it's the same ballpark. It looks amazing...

Agreed.

VenturaFan23
03-30-2007, 11:09 PM
We have one of those World Series recliners at our place all wrapped up still. We bought ours at Darvin's in Orland for only $800 at the beginning of the year.

cws05champ
03-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Awesome pics Thanks!!!

I had no idea they were changing the grass too.. Looks awesome.

Ahh.. the sight of that nice green grass and the inside of the stadium immediately gave me a craving for a kosher and a lite beer!!:gulp:

The stadium is no where close to being ready...Where the heck are the churro vendors!!!! :D: :D:

comiskey2000
03-30-2007, 11:12 PM
There is no way the park could look any different than back in 1991. Some side by side photos of Now vs. Then have to be shocking.

ChiSoxGirl
03-30-2007, 11:23 PM
There is no way the park could look any different than back in 1991. Some side by side photos of Now vs. Then have to be shocking.

Compare this before the renovations (http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Ballparks/ChiWS/comiskey-picture.jpg) picture to the first one in Frontman's original post. I know the vantage points aren't exactly the same (I had a hard time finding something exact), but you still won't believe it!

EDIT: This (http://207.241.73.152/images/062405DDOVERALL008.jpg) is somewhat of a similar vantage point to the first picture I posted. It's a little smaller, but you get the idea.

By the way, the park looks absolutely amazing!!!! I can't wait 'til Monday!

Nellie_Fox
03-31-2007, 12:13 AM
.. the sight of that nice green grass and the inside of the stadium immediately gave me a craving for a kosher and a lite beer!!I don't think I've ever craved a "lite" beer. Beer, oh hell yeah, but "lite?" No.

Nellie, I'll split it with you, and you can sit in it any time you visit my house. :wink:You'd do that for me? I'm getting all, like, misty-eyed. You're a real pal.

IndianWhiteSox
03-31-2007, 05:27 AM
Hey gang,

My brother finished working at the Cell today. Suitcases have started arriving, the gear it getting hung, and the park looks absolutely awesome. Here's the best shots, and as the old phrase goes, a picture is worth a thousand words:

ENJOY!

Go get 'em, White Sox!

That looks amazing, compared to how it looked in the beginning.

soxfan13
03-31-2007, 05:44 AM
The stadium is not ready. ILuvThatDuck and I were riding the 6:40 Rock Island and they were out there checking all and changing light bulbs on the marquis:smile:

itsnotrequired
03-31-2007, 08:40 AM
The stadium is not ready. ILuvThatDuck and I were riding the 6:40 Rock Island and they were out there checking all and changing light bulbs on the marquis:smile:

I drove by at 8:00 last night and they were still out there.

Scottiehaswheels
03-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Compare this before the renovations (http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Ballparks/ChiWS/comiskey-picture.jpg) picture to the first one in Frontman's original post. I know the vantage points aren't exactly the same (I had a hard time finding something exact), but you still won't believe it!

EDIT: This (http://207.241.73.152/images/062405DDOVERALL008.jpg) is somewhat of a similar vantage point to the first picture I posted. It's a little smaller, but you get the idea.

By the way, the park looks absolutely amazing!!!! I can't wait 'til Monday!
Best thing I see in the comparison of the pics... In the first one the place is empty, second one... not so empty :smile:

soxstarter
03-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Great Pics! And just 2 more days till we see it up close and personal!

Frontman
03-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Talking about park improvements, but on White Sox Weekly today, Brooks Boyer took a call from someone (and I'm betting it was a flyingsock member) about the "Home Run" porch in right.

From what it sounded like, as Brooks didn't get into the details of it, but its not something that's feasible.

If I remember the comment correctly, it was

"You can do a lot to a ballpark. A major structural change like that just happens to be one you can't do."

So, no home run deck. Ah well.

Either way, the park looks incredible.

Front

MRM
03-31-2007, 07:26 PM

They mow it in opposite directions to get a different side of the blade showing. The grass they use has two different shades of green.

chisox77
03-31-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm starting to like those White Sox World Series Champions recliners - they would be the signature piece to every living room or rec room.

GregoryEtc
03-31-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm starting to like those White Sox World Series Champions recliners - they would be the signature piece to every living room or rec room.

you mean THESE (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2428411&cp=1452347.1452710) chairs? :D: It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine!!!

ChicagoG19
03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Awesome pics, that is my dream job to work for the white sox. Good to see the ugly blue seats taken out of the park.

Frontman
03-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Just for a bit of clairification.

My brother's company was hired by the Sox organization to remodel the suites. He doesn't work directly for the Sox.

Thanks for all the compliments. We certainly are proud that Mike (my brother) worked on making US Cellular Field look as great as it does now.

Now, if they could only get another banner.....

:D:

MCHSoxFan
04-01-2007, 12:01 PM
ALSO: There are new signs for the parking lots. The old rusty blue signs with white poles have been replaced by new green signs that look like the rest of the signage. And pinwheels are being used on these signs. looks AWESOME. 2 thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I noticed that yesterday. I was playing ball in Armour Square Park. I saw Lot C on 33rd & Shields. A,B,C & G are RED parking passes ONLY, but I saw a sign in Lot C saying, "$20 cash parking." I also saw, "Season Coupon." What's the deal?
:o: :?:

MCHSoxFan
04-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know how I can e-mail or call or get in touch anyway I can with Brooks? Thanks!