PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 3-31

Lip Man 1
03-30-2007, 02:04 PM
March 31, 1996 - Because of a quirk in the calendar the Sox have the earliest opening in franchise history when they start the 1996 season in Seattle on the final day in March. Frank Thomas has a home run off Randy Johnson but the Sox lose the game 3 - 2 in twelve innings.

Lip

The Racehorse
03-30-2007, 02:08 PM
March 31, 1996 - Because of a quirk in the calendar the Sox have the earliest opening in franchise history when they start the 1996 season in Seattle on the final day in March. Frank Thomas has a home run off Randy Johnson but the Sox lose the game 3 - 2 in twelve innings.

Lip

I remember watching that game on TV. If I remember correctly, Hurt has the record for the most HRs hit during the month of March. :D:

wilburaga
03-30-2007, 02:23 PM
I remember watching that game on TV. If I remember correctly, Hurt has the record for the most HRs hit during the month of March. :D:

And Karko set the March record for 5 whiffs in a game.

W

WhiteSox5187
03-30-2007, 05:25 PM
And Karko set the March record for 5 whiffs in a game.

W
Yes but that was nothing for Karko.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Wow. You guys have great memories. I don't recall any of this (though Karko striking out five times is 100 percent believable).

I was living in Ohio at the time, so getting Sox news was nearly impossible except over the internet. If I told anyone I was a Sox Fan, they almost inevitably replied, "Sox fan? I love the Red Sox, too, but I thought you were from Chicago."

Of course I enjoyed not having the Chicago media's nonsense crashing in on me from all sides... so living out of town certainly has its advantages, too. Obviously not everyone benefits from having this sort of perspective.
:cool:

Brian26
03-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Of course I enjoyed not having the Chicago media's nonsense crashing in on me from all sides...

Yeah, but I bet you could still feel the glare of Mark Giangreco's spray-tan all the way in Ohio.