PDA

View Full Version : Trib sports editors take the day off...

chisoxmike
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070329sox,1,7786426.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

People are misreading the quote from the paper. Here's the expanded quote...

For what it's worth, the White Sox were 8-19-2 in 2006 Cactus League play before winning two straight games in Atlanta as a prelude to the regular season. They again play two games in Atlanta before opening at home Monday against Cleveland.

In 2005, the Sox were 14-18 before winning 98 games and the World Series.

So for the previous two springs the Sox were 22-37 in Arizona, but 188-136 during the regular season.

gobears1987
03-30-2007, 11:04 AM
What do you expect from them? Accuracy?

jackbrohamer
03-30-2007, 11:15 AM
This was a real gem. Dave Van Dyck is a total idiot:

"Again, for what it's worth, the Sox this spring would be 11 games behind the Detroit Tigers, who train in Florida, where all team ERAs are lower."

mccoydp
03-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Ugh. Really bad article today...just like every other day for that matter.

98 wins? It was 99, for Pete's sake.

But, stupid me, I keep reading their drivel.

Mr.1Dog
03-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Ugh. Really bad article today...just like every other day for that matter.

But, stupid me, I keep reading their drivel.

http://www.insidepulse.com/columnImages/image13147.jpg "It's not that they're lazy. It's that they just don't care."

minutia
03-30-2007, 11:50 AM
They had to put something in that space and this was it. It is really a pointless article. Who cares how many games behind a division rival we are at spring training? Last I heard the games don't count until Monday.

mccoydp
03-30-2007, 12:02 PM
They had to put something in that space and this was it. It is really a pointless article. Who cares how many games behind a division rival we are at spring training? Last I heard the games don't count until Monday.

Didn't you know? Championships are won in spring training!
:redneck

PKalltheway
03-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Tell me about it. Also, they started off at 27-9, not this 14-18 bull**** they're saying. If they started off that bad, they wouldn't have gone wire-to-wire now would they?

I usually refrain from posting in threads about the Tribune and the like, but this is just outright stupid.

BainesHOF
03-30-2007, 12:14 PM
I've posted this before but I'd like to ask again...why are you reading the Tribune? The paper's sports section is a journalism joke. Not only is its pro-Cubs, anti-Sox bias at an all-time high, but its section and specifically its columnists are incredibly bland.

Iwritecode
03-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Tell me about it. Also, they started off at 27-9, not this 14-18 bull**** they're saying. If they started off that bad, they wouldn't have gone wire-to-wire now would they?

I usually refrain from posting in threads about the Tribune and the like, but this is just outright stupid.

I think the 14-18 is referring to their spring training record.

SOecks
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM

I took the 14-18 as meaning their spring record, not their regular season starting record. Doesn't matter, it was still a bad article.

PKalltheway
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I think the 14-18 is referring to their spring training record.
Oh were they? Well, silly me.:redface:

ChiSoxGirl
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Tell me about it. Also, they started off at 27-9, not this 14-18 bull**** they're saying.

Oh man, I didn't even catch that when I read the article this morning! :angry: I caught the 98 wins statistic, but must've missed the 14-18 one. Maybe that's how the Cubs started off the 2005 season.... :dunno:

Hey Tribune people, you've got the money... BUY A CLUE!

PKalltheway
03-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Oh man, I didn't even catch that when I read the article this morning! :angry: I caught the 98 wins statistic, but must've missed the 14-18 one. Maybe that's how the Cubs started off the 2005 season.... :dunno:

No that's referring to their Spring Training record, I made a mistake in reading it. Sorry folks.:redface:

chisoxmike
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM

Simmer Jen, save it for Monday. They were talking about the Spring Training record.:D:

tebman
03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Don't forget that the Cubs' pitching staff leads both leagues in simulated wins and towel drills.

Hey, is the Tribune still for sale? I'll throw in a few bucks. :rolleyes:

palehozenychicty
03-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't need to read it. The Tribune's level of hating is just sad and comical.

ChiSoxGirl
03-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Simmer Jen, save it for Monday.

Simmered. I wasn't even really that angry about it. I just find it insane that these people can't get facts straight! See you Sunday. :smile:

IndianWhiteSox
03-31-2007, 06:32 AM

How can they buy a clue when they're 4.5 billion dollars in debt?
:dunno:

soxfan13
03-31-2007, 06:52 AM
I don't need to read it. The Tribune's level of hating is just sad and comical.

Morrissey had a great article in the paper yesterday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070329morrissey,1,2710296.column?coll=chi-sportscolumnist-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

SOXSINCE'70
03-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Championships are won in spring training!:redneck

If you're the sCrUBune,they are.:rolleyes:

Dave Van Dyck is a total idiot:

To quote Ed McMahon,"You are correct,Sir".

Johnny Mostil
04-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Anybody catch this (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0704010066apr01,1,7260697.story) in the Sunday paper?

Monday marks the first Opening Day start for Jose Contreras. The Cuban also becomes the first foreign-born Sox pitcher to open since Jaime Navarro (Puerto Rico) in 1997-98 and the fourth overall

(Yes, I probably should expect Van Dyck to know baseball before I expect him to know that persons born in Puerto Rico are native-born U.S. citizens, but still . . .)

DumpJerry
04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Anybody catch this (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0704010066apr01,1,7260697.story) in the Sunday paper?

(Yes, I probably should expect Van Dyck to know baseball before I expect him to know that persons born in Puerto Rico are native-born U.S. citizens, but still . . .)
Yeah, I saw it. I expect there will be protests outside the Tib Tower with a bunch of people who were born in Puerto Rico waving their U.S. Passports.

I hope Sam Zell hires fact checkers.

Johnny Mostil
04-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I saw it. I expect there will be protests outside the Tib Tower with a bunch of people who were born in Puerto Rico waving their U.S. Passports.

I hope Sam Zell hires fact checkers.

To be fair, I should admit I still get a chuckle out of the S-T referring to Ozzie's trip to Venezuela with the World Series trophy as the first time the trophy had been outside the United States . . .

White_Sock
04-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I've posted this before but I'd like to ask again...why are you reading the Tribune? The paper's sports section is a journalism joke. Not only is its pro-Cubs, anti-Sox bias at an all-time high, but its section and specifically its columnists are incredibly bland.

I agree- The Cubune is smut. You should know that going in. Don't read trash if you don't want to feel trashed.

Ziggy S
04-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree- The Cubune is smut. You should know that going in. Don't read trash if you don't want to feel trashed.
The sad thing is the Daily Herald has the best sports coverage in the Chicago area by default and that paper is only available in the Northwest suburbs. I forgot the name of the Herald's White Sox beat writer, but he is miles better than Cowley and Gonzales and the best sports writer in Chicagoland IMO is Barry Rozner. Luckily for me, my hometown is Schaumburg. Heck, I'll read the Daily Hearld online here at Fort Carson. I definitely, will not do the same for the Tribune or Sun Times.